Something Entirely New

Bringing Color

This tiny, hole in the wall restaurant was the last place Mark expected Jackson to take him. But that’s what made it all the more special. They hadn’t gone to some fancy getup with special VIP access like the movies, but someplace small and personal. Jackson was letting Mark into his real life, not the one he lived in front of the camera. Though, the more time he spent with the star, the more he started to think that the two lives were actually very similar. It took every ounce of energy he had not to giggle every five seconds. He couldn’t understand the nervous excitement coursing through his body. He couldn’t get it to stop, either.

Maybe it was the way they talked. Conversation flowed naturally between them, like they’d known each other their whole lives. Jackson did most of the talking, which he didn’t even seem to notice. Mark was relieved that he didn’t have to talk. He’d always been quiet, only really speaking up once he was comfortable with a person, and even then, he didn’t say much. Surprisingly enough, his comfort level with Jackson already seemed to be higher than with most of his friends that he’d known for years.

“So do you live in Taiwan?” Jackson asked between mouthfuls of cutlet. Mark could feel the other watching him, so he kept his eyes fixed on the food in front of him. He didn’t dare to look Jackson in the eye right now. Mark knew he’d get too shy, which lead to blushing, which lead to extreme embarrassment.

“No,” he answered quietly. “I’m just visiting family there for a little bit.” Mark paused, debating whether he should tell Jackson where he really lived before realizing there was no reason why he shouldn’t. It wasn’t like Jackson had time to follow him around the world. “I’m actually from the US.”

Mark glanced up just in time to see Jackson’s eyes widen. Whether it was in shock or amazement, Mark wasn’t quite sure, but his heart started to race. The thought of Jackson just getting up and leaving after learning that his other half lived on the other side of the world made him nervous. Sure they probably wouldn’t ever see each other again, but they could still text and stuff, right? This wasn’t all useless hope, right? Mark his bottom lip between his teeth and chewed on it lightly. The habit came out the worst when he got anxious. This sudden desire to keep in contact with the other surprised him. He’d never felt so immediately drawn to someone. Usually it was the exact opposite, if he was being honest.

More anxious than he cared to admit, Mark’s fingers tugged the sleeves of his shirt over his hands. His eyes dropped from Jackson’s stunned expression, glancing over his neck and shoulders before fixing his gaze on the smooth skin of the other’s arms. Mark couldn’t help but stare at the perfectly sculpted biceps. Blood pumped through his veins faster and faster, making his whole body warm up in the process.

“I’ve always wanted to go to the States,” Jackson finally said. Mark glanced up to see the others’ eyes fixed on him, a small smirk stretched across his lips. He’d gotten caught staring. Mark immediately looked down to his sleeve-covered hands as embarrassment washed over him. It was all he could do not to crawl under a rock for the rest of his life.

Jackson, noticing his immediate reaction, slid a hand over Mark’s. “What part of the States?” he asked. “I’ve only seen you wear long sleeves, so I’m guessing someplace cold.”

Mark smirked and shook his head. He took a deep breath to calm his racing heart before looking up again. “I’m actually from LA,” he admitted. “But I’m going to school in Chicago. So I guess I’m kind of from someplace cold.”

Even as the conversation started to flow between them again, Jackson didn’t move his hand. Instead, Mark rotated his a little, opening them just enough for the other to drape his hand over Mark’s fingers instead of awkwardly holding onto his fists.

As they talked, Jackson never pressured Mark to say any more than he wanted to. Even when Mark mentioned his computer science major, Jackson didn’t press him, even though Mark could see that he desperately wanted to know more. Jackson was the first person who’d ever been so understanding about it all so quickly. It made Mark’s gut twist.

“What else do you do, then?” Jackson asked, breaking Mark out of his thoughts. “You know, when you aren’t at school.”

“Oh, not much,” Mark admitted. “I usually just mess around on my computer. I work at a bar a couple days a week.”

Jackson perked up at the mention of the bar. “You work at a bar?” he asked, a hint of fascination dancing over his words like it was some sort of elite, exclusive job. “Do you make drinks?”

Mark giggled. He’d tried making drinks once, but that had turned out with a lot of broken glass and a pool of alcohol on the bar top. “No, no. I’m a DJ.”

“Nah,” Jackson breathed, letting go of Mark’s hand to lean back in his chair. “I don’t believe it. You’re too quiet.”

“DJ’s don’t have to be loud,” Mark protested, which just seemed to make Jackson more shocked.

“But you have to yell and interact with the crowd and stuff.”

Mark rolled his eyes. “Not all DJs are like that. I just play some mixes, get paid and leave. I’m not playing for a festival or anything.”

Jackson smirked, watching Mark’s frazzled defense before putting his hands up in playful surrender. “Okay, okay. So there are quiet DJs.”

“Jia Er, I hate to be a nuisance on your date,” his aunt’s voice chimed in. Somehow, she’d managed to shuffle her way to the edge of the room without either of them noticing. “I’m glad you two are having a good time. But an old woman needs her sleep.”

The clock on the wall said it was almost 11. They’d been talking and eating for almost four hours. How could that much time have passed so quickly? Mark felt heat rise to his cheeks. His attention had been so set on Jackson, a fire could have started and he probably wouldn’t have noticed.

Jackson, however, didn’t seem the least bit surprised. “Yes, sorry auntie,” Jackson said, instinctively moving to her side. “Of course you should get some rest. We’ll get going. Are you sure you’re alright closing on your own?”

“I’ve closed up this store on my own for thirty years, Jia Er,” the woman replied. The sass in her voice made Mark bite back laughter. She truly did act like a family with Jackson. “Now you two go have fun somewhere else. Enjoy being young.”

Despite her old age and difficulty walking, the woman managed to move fast enough to shoo them out the door, locking it behind them the instant it closed. Jackson glanced back when he heard the click. Anyone could see how nervous he got at the thought of her being alone, no matter how long she’d been living on her own. Once the main lights switched off, Jackson turned back around and smiled lightly at Mark. The older didn’t mind waiting. Watching Jackson be openly vulnerable in front of him made something inside him tingle.

The two started walking down the street side-by-side. Passing cars and the buildings around gave off just enough light for them to make out the sidewalk. Mark had no idea where they were going. It didn’t look like Jackson did either, but neither of them cared. Just the simple act of walking together was enough.

Noticing that Mark was still staring at him, Jackson started to panic. “What?” he asked. “Do I have something on my face?” His hands shot up to his face as he felt around for any sign of lingering crumbs or stains.

“No, no, no,” Mark laughed. “I was just…” His voice trailed off. Talking about his feelings had never been one of his strong suits. Sharing anything so personal never seemed like a good idea. But part of him desperately wanted to tell Jackson how cute he looked when he worried. The big, curious eyes staring back didn’t help curb his desire, either.

“I just think it’s really great that you care about her so much,” he muttered. Even though it wasn’t exactly what he’d been thinking, a wave of embarrassment still crashed over him. But before he could even think of turning away, Mark felt Jackson’s hand slip into his.

“Thank you,” Jackson said. A genuine, warm smile spread across his face as Mark looked back up at him, cheeks flushed. “She really enjoyed meeting you, you know,” he added. “She’s never shown that much interest in anyone I’ve brought around before.”

“I doubt that,” Mark giggled. Even though he didn’t believe it, the statement still made the tingling in Mark’s gut spark back to life.

“Are you calling me a liar, Mark?” Jackson asked, acting offended.

Mark shrugged, soaking in the feeling of the other’s hand in his. If there was any proof that soulmates were actually made for each other, the way their hands fit perfectly together was it. “You’ll just have to prove me wrong.”

“Well how about I start now, then?” Jackson smirked. “I promised you a picture, right?”

Before Mark could even think of saying anything, Jackson pulled his phone from his pocket. In one smooth motion, he dropped Mark’s hand, slipping it around Mark’s waist instead. Shocked speechless, Mark just watched as the other messed with his phone. The heat of Jackson’s side against his made Mark blush even more. Turning his head just enough for his lips to hover next to the other’s ear, Jackson muttered, “Ready?”.

The celebrity experience really showed as Jackson held the phone up and out, angling it just enough to make them look up ever so slightly. An ideal angle to make them look the best possible. Noticing his blank expression on the screen, Mark focused on how close they were, making a smile spread across his face again.

Without warning, Jackson snapped a picture. “Wha-” Mark muttered, a half protest slipping from his lips.

“You look great,” Jackson replied. “Don’t worry. But, if you don’t mind, I’d like to take another one. One just for us.”

Mark’s heart jumped into his throat. How could something as simple as a picture sound so extremely intimate? Mark suddenly became more aware of Jackson’s arm around his waist. Without thinking about it, he leaned in closer, body craving more of Jackson’s warmth. That was enough confirmation for Jackson, who lifted the phone up again and squeezed Mark’s waist a bit tighter.

“I’ll count down this time,” Jackson whispered. A tiny sigh escaped Mark’s lips. If this picture was going to be for just the two of them, he desperately wanted it to be as close to perfect as possible. For all they knew, this could be the only picture they’d get together. Ever.

“One...” Jackson’s voice snapped him back to reality.

“Two…” Mark slid his arm up around Jackson’s shoulders, letting him slide even closer to the other. He saw Jackson’s smile grow, which only made his own heart beat even faster.

“Three.” As Jackson’s finger pressed the button, he turned his head and looked at Mark. Too late, Mark glanced over at him.

“What are you doing?” he asked, eyes wide. It didn’t even register to him that they were just a breath apart now. One small move from either of them and their lips would touch. It wasn’t even until Mark saw the look on Jackson’s face, his eyes staring hungrily at Mark’s lips, that he noticed the closeness. “Uhhh,” he breathed, suddenly unable to look away.

The two stood in silence for a moment, staring at each other in the dark in the middle of the sidewalk. Jackson was the first to break away, arm dropping from Mark’s waist as he looked down at his phone. “It’s late,” he said. “We should probably get you back to your hotel.”

The sudden shift left Mark confused and anxious. His mind replayed every moment leading up to the switch a hundred times as they made their way back to the car. No matter how hard he looked, he couldn’t find anything that might’ve led to Jackson’s suddenly cold attitude. After telling the driver which hotel he was staying at, Mark glanced at Jackson a few times, opening and closing his mouth in several failed attempts to say something.

When the memory of his mother gushing over the phone about how her son had finally found love popped into his mind, he wondered if maybe he’d read everything wrong. There had been cases of people finding their soulmates, but not having the match reciprocated. The stories were always sad, usually ending in someone killing themselves or condemning themselves to lives of reckless abandon until they got killed some other way. It had never made sense to Mark how anyone could just throw their life away over a stranger. After meeting Jackson, though, he started to understand. He’d never fall that low himself, but he could already feel the pain start to develop just from thinking about the possibility.

“Jackson,” Mark said quietly. “Can you see any colors?”

“Of course I can,” Jackson answered, dumbfounded. “Why wouldn’t I be able to?”

“I don’t know. I just thought that because you walked away earlier that maybe I’d read things the wrong way or something.”

Jackson shifted so that he could grab Mark’s hand. “My manager told me that the first color I ever saw was green. It was the color of the beanie you were wearing at the airport.” He squeezed Mark’s hand gently and smiled.

“I’m as interested as I possibly can be,” he continued. “I’ve never been more drawn to someone in my entire life. Standing there just now, being so close to you, well, I wanted to do more than just stand there. But I’ve already dragged you into the spotlight more than you deserve. I can’t make you go through more just because I’m being selfish.”

It took Mark a minute to process, but as he did, he felt his entire body start to tingle. He’d never felt this way so many times in the course of a day before. Every reaction his body had to Jackson was unlike anything he’d ever experienced. Everything was new and unknown. But he loved every second of it.

Looking up into Jackson’s eyes, Mark squeezed his hand back and smiled.

“I’m starting to think that the insanity might be worth it.”


Here it is! For some reason, this chapter was really rough for me to write. I never really liked what I wrote, so I ended up rewriting  lot of things that probably were fine to start with. Between that and the craziness of the boy's promotions (Yay 5 wins and an all-kill week! I'm so proud of them!), I didn't write as often as I usually do either.

I really liked writing the end bit of this chapter, though. It's an important step for them, though maybe one that'll make things a little difficult in upcoming chapters. ;)

As always, leave some comments below. I love seeing what you guys have to say about each chapter. Also, if you want to stay current on how the next chapter's coming (as well as get bombarded by Markson feels on a daily basis), feel free to follow me on Twitter @infectiouskpop.