Chapter 5

Café of Return

The next day was a monday, the resting day for the café. Luhan spent it cooped up in his apartment, thinking about what to do.

Should he oblige to Minseoks request. But what if his chances with the other got smaler because of it? What if Minseok didn't like him sober? What if Luhan couldn't even bring himself to talk to his crush? What if he embarassed himself? What if Lu Han came out and Minseok didn't want to have anything to do with him anymore? 

Now that the barista had become a part of Luhan's daily life, he didn't want to lose that part. He always spent at least an hour every day talking to his crush. Even more thinking about him. He wouldn't know what to do with his time, if his daily dose of Minseok would be lost. 

He ignored all of the messages Sehun sent him. He wasn't in the mood to see the young business man.

When another message notification was heard, he thouht about how he would feel, if Minseok messaged him. He imagined his heart to burst with happiness, everytime he just heard the pling sound of his cell phone, at the thought it could be him. He then would hurry to pick up the phone and read the message, resulting in him smiling from ear to ear because of the cheesy things it would say.

I just thought about you and wanted to know, you're okay.

Have you eaten yet?

I miss you.

I love you.

At least that were the things Luhan wanted to write to him. The only problem was, Luhan didn't have Minseoks number. Also it would be inappropriet at the point of their relationship they had right now.

What did Luhan know about Minseok? He owned a café and worked as a barista. His favourite coffee was an Americano. He had a brother, who was married. He was rather introverted and shy, which was quite cute. That was all he knew at this point. It wasn't that much, but he couldn't help it, if Minseok apparently didn't like to talk about himself. 

Questions about what he does in his freetime or about his childhood, he answered with a simple: "It's not really interesting. I don't want to bore you."

So how do you get close to someone, if he doesn't want to let you approach him? Luhan swore, his hair was going to get grey soon, from all the stress he was having. He just couldn't come up with an idea.

All his brain did was coming up with stupid daydreams about Minseok. About how he smiled his cute gummy smile over even the most stupid jokes Luhan made. About how he was demanding for Luhan to cuddle with him after a stressed day of work. About how his lips would tast something similar to Jongdaes cakes. About how he would cook some delicious meals for Luhan and if he couldn't cook, Luhan was willing to learn it for him.

The hours flew by with Luhan lying flat on his bed, staring holes into the air and imagining a relationship, that was still way to far in the future for his liking. At some point way into the night he slipped into a peacefull sleep, the image of Minseoks beautiful face in front of his inner eyes.

The next days were spent the same way, with the difference of Luhan trying to get himself to stand up, leave the house and go face his crush in a sober condition. On Wednesday he managed to leave his apartment, but returned after not too long. On Thursday he made his way until he was standing in front of the café, but backed out and went home again. It was Friday afternoon, when he was opening the glass door, listening to the meanwhile familiar ring of the bell in wront of it. He had seceretly hoped, that Minseok had had the morning shift, but was greeted with the familiar sight of him preparing coffee. His mood lifted and dropped at the same time, panick and joy mixing together.

Minseok hadn't changed one bit, which could be because they hadn't seen each other for just five days. When the barista looked up, to see who came in and their eyes met, Luhan knew there was no backing out anymore. With hesitant steps he made his way to the counter, managing a small smile, when he greeted Minseok in a quiet voice, just a little more than a murmur. "Hey."

"Hi, long time no seen. I was starting to worry, that something happened to you", Minseok flashed him a bright smile, making Luhan even more nervouse.

"Well I am here now, so...", he began to say, but his words got lost, when realization hit him. He was actually talking to this gorgeous man, just him, no alcohol in his system, to give him courage. He was so doomed. 

"What made you stay away for so long?", Minseok asked after he realised, Luhan wasn't going to continue his sentence. "Did you have any interesting photogaphy project to work on? Were you ill? Did your friends finally demand to spend some time with you? Uhm... I can't think of anything else right now."

Luhans was just watching Minseok for a few seconds, his eyes popping out, his mind woring with maximum power. What should he tell Minseok? He couldn't tell him he spend his days thinking about him. "I had some things to sort out", he finally decided to say.

"Okay, you don't have to tell me." Was Minseok pouting? The cute image made Luhans brain stop working, which resulted into an awkward silence, which was eventually broken by Minseok. "So, your usual?", he asked, refering to the Americano Luhan always drank. The Chinese guy, still unabel to speak nodded and pointed to a blueberry cake. Minseok understood and soon afterwards Luhan was digging into a pice of cake and enjoyed his coffee, still not saying a word.

"No wondere you usually come here drunk. You are really shy, aren't you?", Minseok tried to bring him to talk. Actually Luhan wasn't shy, rather outgoing actually. That was if you didn't include the presence of the barista. 

Luhan shook his head vehemently, a blush creeping on his cheeks. "Just not used to this", he murmured.

"Aww come on. No reason to be shy in front of me", he said, that adorable smile of his plasterd on his face. "It's just me. I'm not exactly a stranger to you anymore, am I?"

"Give me a moment", he said, instantly stuffing his mouth with cake, so he didn't need to talk. 

Minseok smiled at the cute image and focused on his work again. As his food was gone, Luhan imagined him watching him teasingly, as long as Luhan started an awkward conversation, just to his own enjoyment. So he was suprised, when the barista started to talk. "I was wondering for some time now, how you manage to plan your days with your irregular scedule. Like, do you plan it at all or do you just take everything as it comes?"

"Well, I do plan them a little. You know, like the most important things that have to be done at a certain time, like a photoshooting or something. But other than that, I just do whatever I feel like at the moment.", Luhan averted his gaze from his feet to the man in front of him, noticing he was listening attentatively to his every words. "So...How do you plan your days?"

"Oh, I have two daily routines. One when I work in the morning and one when I work in the evening. Well three actually, when you count my free day, where I just approach everything more relaxed. They are basically all the same, just that I do the things I do at different times."

Luhan too listened carefully. This was the first time Minseok was telling him something about himself, even if it was just vague.

"Then what do these daily routines include?", he dared to ask, expecting a disgession from the topic.

"Well the usual, I think. Spending time with family and friends, doing household chores, working ... nothing special", Minseok explained to his amazement. "You?"

He thought of days, spent alone in front of the TV, watching some drama and eating Fast Food in his messy apartment.

"The same I guess", he lied. 

They spent hours talking and getting to know each other. Luhan learned, that Minseok was not five years or so younger than Luhan, but actually a month older. Junmyeon and Minseok grew up a little bit outside of Seoul, where his parents still lived, who Minseok was visiting this Sunday. 

It was Chanyeol, who was interrupting their chat, by leaning on the counter next to Luhan and pouting to Minseok. "Hyung, I have a date tonight and don't want to be late. Luhan is the only customer left, so could we please close early?"

Minseok agreed to Luhans disdain and he and Chanyeol started cleaning the café, while Luhan watched them. He had offered to help them, but Minseok argued, he still was a customer. 

Therefore Luhan offered to walk Minseok home, after Chanyeol had hurriedly left them. Minseok laughed and told him he really doesn't have to and it was no big deal, leaving him alone, but Luhan insisted.

After just a few steps, Minseok stopped. "We're here", he said pointing to the door of an apartment coplex. "Wow, you live above your workplace? Thats what I call luxury", Luhan laughed, understanding why Minseok told him it was no problem to walk alone. 

"Yes, it's really convenient", Minseok laughed with him.

After that they were yust standing awkwardly in front of each other. Luhan searched his brain for an appropriet way to say goodbye. 

"Well, see you tomorrow?", Minseok finally asked. "I have the evening shift again."

"Definitely", Luhan answered. "See you tomorrow." He waved his hand awkwardly and practically fled the place. All in all, that didn't work out too bad.