Chapter 4

Café of Return

To drink or not to drink. That is the question.

Luhan was standing at his kitchen counter, an opened bottle of whiskey and an empty glass next to it in front of him. He wasn't as delusional as to not know, that he just had the guts to talk to Minseok the other day, because he was drunk. So if he wanted to talk to him again, didn't that mean he had to get drunk again?

He hated his insecure self at the moment. Sure, he always acted like he had the biggest ego, but that was all for show, that was all Luhan. Lu Han on the other hand, was as self-conscious as a teenage girl. Did he look good today? Was it really ineresting, what he was saying? Were people laughing with or at him?

He hated that Lu Han guy, so he decided he just rather wanted to be Luhan. This concept had worked quite well actually, but since he met a certain Kim Minseok, Lu Han started to show more often again.

Yesterday he actually tripped over one of the lamps on set, because he was so busy thinking about possible outcomes of today. Luhan would have just cracked a joke, laughed a little about himself and be done with it. Lu Han on the other hand had blushed madly and stuttered an apology to the staff present. He was embarassed by himself for the whole photoshoot. It had actually been the worst he had ever done.

He didn't want to feel so ty ever again, which is why he finally poured some of the whiskey into the glass and downed it. He felt like one wasn't enough, so he drank another and another, until he felt really light, all his worries forgotten. Luhan was out again, shoving Lu Han into the back of his consciousness.

So he was on his way, drunk at 11 a.m, skating to propably the love of his life. That sounded so cheesy, he actually just met the guy once.

The smell of coffee and cake greeted him, when the little bell rang as he entered the café. His gaze wandered immediately to the counter. Yep, Junmyeon had told the truth. There was the angle, working the coffeemachine with a hint of a smile on his lips.

Like he was in a daze, Luhan wandered to an empty table, not tearing his gaze away from Minseok once.

"Hey photographer guy!", Chanyeol was standing over him, practically beaming with happiness. You would have thought Luhan was his long lost best friend or something. "It's nice to see you again!"

"You don't seem to have that many customers, if you can actually remember me after all these days", Luhan noticed.

"Nope, just have a good memory", Chanyeol shrugged his shoulders. "You also saved me from the wrath of the dwarf, so I'm thankfull to you."

"I heard that!", Baekhyun was appearing next to Chanyeol, punching him playfully on the shoulder. "Now get to work giraff. I'm taking this customer. You creeped him out enough the last time. It's a wonder he actually came back!"

Chanyeol was retreating, a pout showing on his face. He was actually quite handsome, when he wasn't smiling so creepily. Though the same had been said to Luhan before, mainly from Sehun. He felt with the giant.

"Are you his boss or something?", Luhan asked out of the blue, starteling the smaller waiter, who was giving him the menue.

"No, we're friends", he said confused. "We are working in harmony with each other, as equals."

Luhan started laughing. "If you call that harmony, then I want to know, what disharmony looks like to you. Or wait, is this some weird way of you guys flirting?"

Beakhyun furrowed his eyebrows at him. "Why should I flirt with that idiot? Like I said, we're just friends."

The Chinese grinned widely. "Shure, whatever you say. I'd like to have an Americano and a strawberry cheesecake please." Tao had said the cakes were good and if you could trust Tao on something, it was food. He handed back the menue to Baekhyun, who was scribbeling down his order and then hurried to the next table.

Luhan noticed this was the first time he had seen this café so well visited. Well, it was Saturday, so that could be a reason. He also noticed, that this was propably the best well mixed crowd you could get. There were people of all age groups, from an old couple, who looked as if they could just drop dead every moment, to a baby getting fed by his mother. There were families, friends, couples and loners like him. There were people who looked as if they propably owned a mansion and usally ate at large dining tables with silverware and there were people who looked like they lived in an one room apartment, usually eating, sitting on the floor, with their hands or some cheap chopstics.

One boy was catching Luhans interest, not that he usually payed that much attention to children. He was maybe six or seven years old, had short black hair, big eyes and plump lips. He was just sitting there peacefully, legs dangling in the air, drinking his giant cup of hot chocolate and reading a book. Luhan had thought all children did, was run around, make disturbingly much noise and and just beg for attention. Where were the parents of this boy? Was he all by himself?

He got distracted by Baekhyun appearing with his order, which looked absolutely delicious. It tasted delicious too. The bitter coffee worked quite well with the sweet cake. Whoever made these must be an angel, if he was able to bake something that tasted like it was from heaven. Maybe Minseok made them?

After he had polished of the cake, he made his way to the counter, behind which stood the barista.

"Hey, nice to meet you again", he started the conversation and met with a confused look of the other.

"Have we met before?", he asked and Luhan was unprepared to hear his beautiful voice. The content of what he had said though was starteling the Chinese man. How could he have forgotten Luhan, when all Luhan could seem to think about was him. That was so unfair.

But that was life. He just had to make shure, Minseok didn't forget him again.

"Maybe I have mistaken you", he tried to rescue himself from embarassment. "I'm Luhan, by the way."

"Minseok", Minseok introduced himself, showing his gummy smile.

"I know", Luhan couln't stop himself to say. Because of Minseoks confused look, he added: "Your nametag." Nice save.

"Hey I was wondering, who the guy is, that bakes these heavenly cakes. Like does he deliver or something?", Luhan asked not just making conversation, but being really interested.

"I'm sorry", Minseok said apologetically. "My brother-in-law makes them. It's more like a hobby to him, so he doesn't deliver them."

"Is this some kind of family business. I mean you work here, your brother, your brother-in-law... I was just wondering. I mean this has kind of the cozy feel of a family business."

"It actually is. My brother Junmyeon and I own the place and work as baristas and my brother-in-law works as a waiter and bakes the cakes."

"Wait, which one is married to your broter? Baekhyun or Chanyeol?", he couldn't imagine them being already married, they seemed so young. Though so seemed Junmyeon. At least younger than Luhan.

"Non of the two. They are quite weird actually. Sorry if they did something strange", like fighting/flirting in front of a customer. "No, his name is Jongdae. He's a total sweetheart, thats why he's so good at baking cakes", Minseok giggled at his own joke, which was like music to Luhans ears. "They are happily married for four years now. I hope, I will find someone one day, to have a relationship with him like they have. Sorry, I'm rambeling."

"No problem. I actually think that's interesting", it really was. He had learned two things, which he just needed to confirm. "So you said him, as in you're into guys?", he asked. Minseok nodded shyly, his cheeks turning slightly pink. "And it sounded like you are single at the moment", Minseok nodded again in confirmation, his face completely red.

"Please tell me, what is wrong with you", Luhan pleaded.

Minseok looked confused, a little offended even. "There is nothing wrong with me."

"Then you can't tell me you are still single", Luhan dared to say and did another step. "You seem perfect to me."

Now Minseoks face looked like a tomato. "I-i-i just th-think I don't r-realy have the time t-to date right now", he finally stuttered in a low voice.

"Or you just didn't find the right one yet", Luhan tried to calm him down. "But maybe, if you watch closely, he is standing right in front of you."

"So the love of my life is coffee?", Minseok asked innocently, watching at the cup in front of him, he was preparing. Luhan laughed at the joke. "Think positive. At least it's good coffee. No what I actually ment is, that maybe there is a person interested in you and you are just too busy to see them." Luhans heart was thumping hard in his chest. Was that too direct?

"I really doubt there is such person", Minseok murmured and Luhan had to hold back a groan of frustration. How could someone be so blind?

"Hey Min, you're free for the day", Junmyeon appeard next to his brother in the same black apron.

"Okay Jun", Minseok said to his brother and then turned to Luhans direction again. "I'm sorry, my shift is over. It was nice talking to you..."

"Luhan", Luhan helped him out.

Minseok said his goodbyes and disappeared into the staff room.

"That didn't look so bad", Junmyeon commented, when Luhan was taking out his money. This café was nice and all, but he didn't see a reason why he should be here, when the cute barista was not.

"Are you kidding. He is the most oblivious person I know", Luhan complained to him. "You are his brother. Can you maybe tell me, how to catch his interest?"

Junmyeon was giving him a blinding smile. "Just continue what you do now. Like I said, I haven't seen him talk to a stranger for that long in a while, so just give him some time. He has the afternoon shift tomorrow."

"Will do", Luhan said while retreating. He didn't plan on giving up just yet.

 

 

One week went by with Luhan visiting the café every day. Except on monday, because he was standing in front of closed doors. He schould have asked, if they had a resting day or something.

He was always at least tipsy, when he visited, which Chanyeol once comented on by asking bluntly, if he had a drinking problem or something. That costed him a hit on the arm and a lecture by Beakhyun about the meaning of personal space.

On his fourth visit Minseok could finally remember his name, which was about the only progress Luhan made. After one week he felt deeply frustrated and played with the thought of giving up.

That was, when he finally met Jongdae. Minseok was right, he was a total sweetheart. Really bubbly and radiating a good mood. Different to Chanyeol though it didn't seem too much or even creepy but rather pleasant and cute. Jongdae was the person telling him to not give up.

Minsok had apparently had one really bad break up and was now super protective of his heart, which was why he tested how big the interest in him was, before making a move. When Luhan asked him if that meant Minseok actually knew of his interest and was just playing innocent, Jongdae laughed, telling him the barista was actually quite fond of him.

That gave Luhan new energy and he could notice himself humming happily from time to time or smiling without reason. One sentence change that.

"You know, I would really like to meet the sober Luhan one day", Minseok told him the next sunday.

He told Minseok the next time he visited, he would get to meet him. He seemed relaxed, cool with it, but on the inside he was panicking. What if Minseok didn't like the sober Luhan?