Chapter 2

Café of Return

 

A giant with ears similar to those of an elf an a contagious smile, which showed his many white teeth, was standing next to Luhan, giving him a shock. He didn't even notice the oter approaching.

"What?", he finally managed to say after calming down his heart a little.

"Have you already decided on your order, sir?", the guy, who according to his nametag was a waiter by the name of Park Chanyeol, clarified eyes on a menue, which lay on the table in front of Luhan, he hadn't noticed he had gotten.

"Uhm...", he muttered, quickly picking it up an looking through it.

"They were good", Chanyeol apparently decided to fight the following silence with small talk while smiling widely to himself, which Luhan thought was actually kind of creepy. "The photos I mean. They looked as if they were taken by a professional."

Luhan just wanted to tell him he actually was a professional, when he was interrupted by a smaller and more petite guy with small puppie eyes. He was gripping on Chanyeols ears with his delicate fingers, bringing the giant down to his level.

"Say giraff", his pleasent voice was almost a wisper, but Luhan was able to understand him none the less. "How many times do I have to lecture you about people's personal space. When does it finally settle into that thick head of yours. Now repeat after me: I am not allowed to look at photos taken by customers like some kind of stalker."

"Ow, ow, ow. Baek, that hurts", was all Chanyeol said, earning him a punch on his arm. It did manage that the smaller guy, his nametag said he went by the name of Byun Baekhyun, let go of him.

 Instead he turned to Luhan, making a 90 degrees bow. "I apologize, if my co-worker was bothering you, sir. I hope you can forgive him."

"I have nothing to forgive", Luhan felt like defending the waiter in front of his ... Was he his boss? The nametag just said waiter too. Allthough he had to admit the guy was a little creepy. No sane person could be this happy. Maby he was on drugs?

"I actually feel kind of honored, someone likes my photos." Chanyeols radiant yet somewhat scary smile was definitely worth it.

Baekhyun was visibly relieved he didn't feel offended. "Continue with your work", he harshly told the giant and went off.

"Thank you for your help", the waiter practically beamed with joy. This wasn't normal, was it? "What can I get you?"

"I'd like to have an Americano", Luhan dicided and Chanyeol scribbled it down.

"Anything else?", he asked the Chinese, who denied, so he soon was left alone again.

He watched Chanyeol hurrying to the cute barista, propably telling him Luhan's order. An order that couldn't possibly take this long to be told. Did they talk about anything else? Were they close? Were the maybe even in a relationship? What could such a cute guy possibly see in such a creep?

Well, he is tall, a small part in the back of his bain thought. He is also contaigously happy and they do seem to have a similar age. Maybe 20 or something. Luhan couldn't compete with his smaler stature, his more serious character and his 26 years.

So the question should be: What had Luhan to offer?

I am good in bed, Luhan tried to cheer himself up. I am handsome, I am manly, I... He couldn't think of anything else. How did Sehun even stand him? On the other hand their relationship was a complete physical one.

He would never find happiness. He would never find love and die alone, Luhan was sure of it.

Chanyeol found him a few minutes later with his head laid on the table, when he brought him his coffee.

"Everything alright?", the giant asked.

"Yes", Luhan's sigh sounded anything but alright.

"Do you want to talk about it or...?", Chanyeol suggested but got silenced by Baekhyun walking by, muttering: "Personal space."

So the waiter hurried off to serve other customers, but not before telling Luhan to enjoy his coffee.

Meanwhile the latter was still being miserable.

His life was pointless, he was unable to have a relationship, he had a mothercomplex, he was lost ...

Wait, he was still lost. An idea was forming in his head, lifting his mood a little. Now he had a reason to talk to the cute barista. At least he would try to. It was not like he had something to lose.

He took all the courage he had left and went to the counter the barista worked behind, his Americano, still too hot to drink, in his hand.

He didn't know how long he was standing at the counter, just watching the barista preparing a coffee. He was even more beautiful up close.

Luhan had never pictured himself in a relationship before, but he almost could with this guy. He imagined waking up next to him, kissing those pink lips, cuddling with him in front of the TV ... Those things couples did.

"Can I help you with anything?", his daydreams got interrupted by the actual guy standing in front of him, looking at him with his big eyes, talking to him with his little mouth.

" I hope so", Luhan managed to say. "I kind of got lost and I'd like to ask, if you could maybe call a taxi or something."

"Sure", Luhan melted at his extremely cute gummy smile. "It would be a pleasure to help you."

Panik rose in Luhan, as the barista went into a staff only room, to call the taxi. He was actually talking to this gorgeous human. Was he even human? Mabye he was a god or something like that.

Oh god, what if he embarressed himself, what if he didn't know how to continue their conversation, leading to an awkward silence.

He took a sip of his coffee to calm himself down and immediately felt more relaxed. It tasted great an reminded Luhan of ....

of home. Not that he had a place that felt particularly homely to him, but it tasted like the place he imagined his ideal home to be like. Did that make sense? Propably not, but it was what Luhan felt.

"The taxi is on the way", the barista informed him appearing in front of him again.

"Thank you ... Mr.Kim", Luhan smiled at the person in front of him. Kim Minseok read his nametag.Pretty name, just like the person it belongs to.

"Oh please, Minseok is just fine", the barista said, making Luhan's smile even wider. "I'm Luhan by the way", he introduced himself.

"It's a pleasure to meet you Luhan", god, his smile.

After that followed the feared awkward silence. Say something, Luhan rebuked himself, just anything.

He blamed the following on one too many glasses of alcohol he had. "You're really beautiful", he said. He wanted to sink into the ground out of embaressment.

"Excuse me?", Minseok's face was one of complete confusion.

"I said the coffee tastes really good", they both knew he hadn't said that, but minseok seemed contented with his correction.

"This has to be the best coffee in the whole wide world", Luhan exclaimed, a charming smile plastered on his face.

"Does that mean you already tasted every coffe?", Minseok asked sceptically.

"No, but I tasted enough", Luhan took another sip of the godly beverage in his hands, having a hard time not letting his mouth hang open, when he notised Minseok's cheeks turning a slightly pink shade. Cute, he can't handle compliments.

"Thank you", he said quietly. " It's good to know your work is apprechiated."

"Then what is the best coffee you have to offer in your opinion?", Luhan asked, trying to make the smaler feel mor comfortable, which didn't really work. "So I can order it the next time."

"You are already drinking it."

"Why would you say it is your best then?"

Minseok's gaze wandered to the ceiling in thought. Cute, Luhan noticed. "Maybe because I personally prefer it the most."

"Really, I imagined you to be a total sweet tooth!", Luhan exclaimed in surprise. "Why would you imagine me to be anything?", Minseok asked self consciously, staring at the counter uncomfortably, but immediatly bowing to Luhan. "I'm sorry, that was a rude thing to say."

Luhan noticed how tense the barista was. He had to hold back some tears of frustration. Was it really that bad to have a conversation with him? What hurt him even more was how hard Minseok tried to be friendly and polite, just because Luhan was a customer.

He drank the last bit of his coffee and put the cup as well as the money for it plus a generous tip on the counter in front of him. He knew when he was unwanted.

"Well then, I should wait outside for the taxi", he said, trying his best not to let his sadness show. "Thanks again."

On the way outside his eyes got a little watery. The possible-future-relationship-bubble, that has formed itself inside of his head finally popped when he opened the door and stepped outside. He thought he had heard a: "Thank you for your visit. It would be a pleasure for us to serve you again.

So he found himself standing outside, trying hard not to destroy his manly image by not letting his tears fall in public. That was when he noticed a person appearing next to him.

"Don't think about it too much", the person, a man a little smaller than Luhan, said. "Min was always quite oblivious to people trying to flirt with him. It didn't really help, that nobody tried in a while. I'm actually not quite shure when he last talked that much to a stranger, so don't lose your hope yet."

Luhan wanted to ask the stranger who he was and how he knew those things, but when he finally had prcessed what had been said and turned to the place the person had stood in, he was gone.

Had Luhan just imagined him? Was it because of the alcohol or because he went crazy?

Either way he felt kind of better, a new hope beginning to form inside of him. He would definitely return to this place.

 

 

Authors note:

I actually have a friend who gets really depressed when he's drunk, but also kind of brave, because his life can't get any worse.