Chapter 23

Protector

"Chanyeol-! Where are we going??" Baekhyun asks as he lets himself be tugged by the giant. They exit the medical office in a rush and Baekhyun nearly trips on own two feet.

Chanyeol doesn't respond and only holds Baekhyun's hand tighter. They finally made it to the dorm area but Baekhyun had to speak up.

"Yah! Y-" Baehyun calls out harshly and Chanyeol finally turns around. His expression made Baekhyun purse his lips. Why was Chanyeol looking at him like that?

"W-What?" Baekhyun barks back when Chanyeol just stares at him.

"Do you like my step-brother?" Chanyeol asks seriously.

Baekhyun blinks and scoffs. "Wha- Of course! He's kinder and nicer than you are.."

Chanyeol frowns.

"Do you like him more than me?"

Baekhyun feels his knees go weak at the question.  "W-Well, I-"

"Do you prefer to be with him than me? Do you want to have class with him everyday instead? Do you want t-"

"Yah Park Chanyeol!" Baekhyun cuts Chanyeol off. "Did I ever say any of those things?! Just because I like him as a close hyung doesn't mean I want to marry him! Do you want me to be around him 24/7? To be honest, I'd rather stick with you, you dorky giant jackass, than Yixing hyung because you're so stupid and dense that you can't see how much our on and off friendship means to me!"

By the end of Baekhyun's rant, the shorter male was out of breath and when he looked up at Chanyeol, he could only see a wide smirk on the giant's face.

His cheeks puffed up with a pink color and one end of his lips curled up. His eyes glowed as if someone had given him the winning lottery ticket and his face brightened in color someone would think he was wearing foundation. 

"So.." Chanyeol said a bit more slyly. "You like me more?"

Baekhyun looked at him and groaned. "After that entire explanation this is all you care about?! I should jus-"

Chanyeol grabbed him in a tight hug, burying his head into Baekhyun's neck. Their height difference made this embrace slightly awkward but Baekhyun's brain was too blank to think of it.

"I like you too Baekhyun." Chanyeol whispers and Bekhyun scrambles out of Chanyeol's hold. His face felt hot to the tips of his ears and he couldn't see straight.

"Aw, why is your face so red? It couldn't be that you have a crush on me?" Chanyeol teases and Baekhyun stutters as if his life depended on it.

"N-No way! A-As if! Yo-You're craz-y! You m-must be still unconscious!!" Baekhyun turned around and slapped his lips with his fingers, mentally cursing himself to shut up.

"Oh is that so? My Baekhyun is so cute" Chanyeol skips over to face Baekhyun but Baekhyun stubbornly turns away as Chanyeol laughs.

"I-I'm not your's! I don't belong to anyone!"

Chanyeol only smiles before pulling Baekhun into the dorm building.

-

Sehun stopped, seeing Chanyeol with his arms around Baekhyun. It was obvious the two didn't see him from where he was standing but he felt the need to hide behind the corner of the dorm building.

Sehun bit his lip, watching his two upper classmen joke around. The way Chanyeol looked at Baekhyun made Sehun's heart drop. Why was Chanyeol only like that with Baekhyun? What was so amazing about Baekhyun that attracted Chanyeol to him?

Sehun sighed before walking back, hoping to clear his head for a while.

Later that day, Luhan saw Sehun walking around the school grounds mindlessly. Despite how many times Luhan called out to the younger male, even running after him with his hands flailing around but Sehun didn't hear him. The senior felt tempted to read his thoughts but he had sworn to not do that to Sehun. If he forbid himself to use his nova on someone without his victim's knowledge, he swore that it would be Sehun.

-

A few days later, it seemed that a rumor had broke out in school. It was the day that Baekhyun had dreaded the most.

In his classrooms, everyone avoided him like the plague. He hadn't noticed it during breakfast, having sat at his usual table with his friends. But, once he got to the main school building, other students began to gave him weird stares and whispered to their friends. He received glares from some seniors and even freshmen.

"Did you hear? Byun Baekhyun is having a fling with the principal's pet, Yixing.."

"Someone overheard them in the nurse's office."

"I though that other water senior had a crush on Yixing?"

"I thought Baekhyun was interested in Chanyeol...."

The only people who treated him indifferently were Chanyeol, Kyungsoo, and his other friends who probably hadn't heard of the rumor yet. When Baekhyun saw Jongin later in NP, Tao and Sehun stood their distance while Jongin didn't hesitate to wrap his arm around Baekhyun's shoulder. It seemed that the other two sophomores had already heard the gossip and not told Jongin. Either that, or Jongin didn't care to believe it. Baekhyun hoped it was the latter.

"It seems that there are a few concerns regarding the usage of novas in our school." Ms. Jeong announces and some people snicker.

Baekhyun sat beside Chanyeol who dozed off on the bench. Jongin and his friends sat slightly further away, interacting with some other sophomores.

"Regarding this, I've decided to base today's lesson on prohibited novas." The teacher explains. "We have a few in here."

"Prohibited novas are novas that can seriously harm and endanger the lives of other students and people if not mastered. It is true, these students are unable to practice as much as other students but it is also unnecessary to have extensive training. It may seem unfair to describe these novas as unique but that is what they are. Students with prohibited novas will eventually grow into using their powers almost instinctively. It is not to say that they can never be misused or that no practice is needed, but rather the less they are used, the more beneficial it can be to those around them and the user themselves."

A student raises their hand. "Has there ever been a case where someone who should have been prohibited wasn't and got out of control?"

Ms. Jeong shakes her head. "Fortunately no. Our school is the safest environment to protect our kind from such accidents."

Baekhyun breathed a slight sigh of relief. He should be fine.

During lunch, a few girls came up to Chanyeol, interrupting their group conversation about the upcoming scavenger hunt.

"Chanyeol oppa," One of the girls spoke with a hint of confidence in her voice. Chanyeol turned to her with an emotionless face.

"What."

"Is it true that you lost to Yixing oppa?"

Jongdae and Kyungsoo turned their heads to look at the other end of the table where Chanyeol blankly stared at the girl. The other girls behind her giggled when Chanyeol glanced at them.

"What did I supposedly lose to him?" Chanyeol asks, still not showing the slightest bit of interest. It wasn't until she glanced over at Baekhyun that Chanyeol followed her gaze. Baekhyun looked up with a mouth full of rice and chicken.

His wide eyes said it all. "Hm?"

"Baekhyun." Another girl said and Chanyeol blinked.

Baekhyun choked on his rice, to which Luhan patted his back gently.

"I won Baekhyun over a long time ago." Chanyeol says, his eyes lingered on Baekhyun before looking back up at the girl. Her smirk faltered but she didn't back down.

"Oppa, how could you chose someone like Baekhyun to be by your side?" She complains, giving Baekhyun a harsh glare. Jongdae tries to hold in his laughter, gripping Minseok's arm tightly.

"What's so funny?" One of the girls frowns at Jongdae's sudden out burst.

"Nothing, just your face." He says with a serious expression and even Joonmyeon laughs at his comeback. The girl's jaw dropped and she scoffed with anger apparent in her eyes.

"Watch your back Byun." She says, staring at Baekhyun before walking away with her friends.

"What the hell was that?" Luhan asks.

Minseok speaks up. "Rumors. They'v been going around."

"About Baekhyun?" Joonmyeon asks, still confused with the situation.

Jongin nods. "Tao and Sehun were talking about it.."

Luhan perks up at the sound of the sophomore's name. "Sehun's heard these rumors too?"

"They said it was something about Baekhyun and Yixing being in a relationshi-"

"My Yixing?!" Joonmyeon asks with surprise.

Baekhyun's eyes widen and Chanyeol rolls his eyes.

"No that old fart that lives in the woods- Yes! Your Yixing, Zhang Yixing!" Jongdae exclaims, slapping his forehead for Joonmyeon's stupidity.

"What does he have to do with Baekhyun?"

Everyone looks to Baekhyun who had been drinking his tofu soup quietly.

"Uh..Jongdae and Kyungsoo help me Chanyeol to the nurse's office a few days ago." He started. "Yixing was there."

Kyungsoo nodded. "That's true. What happened after Jongdae and I left?"

Baekhyun put his spoon down and glanced at Chanyeol for half a second. "Yixing and I talked for a bit."

Joomyeon blinked. "That's it?"

Baekhyun in his cheek and nodded. "Yeah."

Jongdae looked at Chanyeol. "What about you? Did you over hear anything? Hell, when did you even wake up?"

Chanyeol thought back to day that.

*flashback*

What the hell, where am I? Chanyeol thought, trying to figure out his surroundings. He accidentally stretched his arm, hitting the bed post and uncomfortably sat up. The bed creaked slightly from his movements and he heard footsteps coming closer from the other room. 

Crap..! In panic, Chanyeol pulled the blankets over himself and hoped that the person wouldn't notice.

The person walking in stopped beside him before they reached for the edges of the blanket and carefully lifted them from the his head, slowly revealing his face.

"Now you sleep?" a familiar voice mumbles. "After nearly giving me a heart attack.."

...Baekhyun..? Chanyeol mentally shook his head, there was no way it could be Baekhyun.

There was a long silence in the room and Chanyeol couldn't tell weather the person had left or not.

"If only you looked this cute when you're awake." Baekhyun says under his breath. Chayeol tightened his lips, begging that his lips wouldn't give him away. He wanted to smile so desperately but he knew Baekhyun would be angry if he knew he was awake and pretending to sleep.

"Baekhyun?" Yixing's voice echos in the other room and Baekhyun immediately pulls his hand back and exits the room. Once he knew Baekhyun was gone, Chanyeol opened his eyes slowly, one at a time.

"There you are. For a second I thought you left without telling me." Chanyeol heard Yixing saying. Oh how he wished his step-brother would go away.

"Sorry, I went to check on Chanyeol."

There was a thump on wall, causing Chanyeol to immediately get out from the bed. At first, his head hurt from the sudden action but Yixing's voice brought him back to reality.

"Why are you so concerned about him?" Yixing asks in a mischeivous tone.

"W-What do you mean?"

"Baekhyun, I don't think that you're just worried about Chanyeol. Are you sure you don't have any other feelings towards him?" Yixing asks seriously.

Chanyeol held his breath, wanting to know what Baekhyun felt towards him. He knew he shouldn't eeves drop but he had no choice in this situation. Or at least that's what he told himself.

"I-I dont know what you mean.." Baekhyun says uneasily.

"Then..how about me? What am I to you, Baekhyun?" Yixing asks.

"Hyung i-is hyung of course. You're always around to give me advice.."

"Can't I be more than just a hyung? I don't want to be categorized with Joonmyeon and Kyungsoo."

"Then you can be my favorite hyung?" His response came out to sound more like a question.

"What's so funny?"

Yixing laughed. Chanyeol frowned, what just happened?! He leaned against the wall and their voice became closer.

"Why? What did I do?"

"Nothing. I'll settle with being your favorite hyung for now but.." he leaned to Baekhyun's ear. Chanyeol could no longer hear Yixing's voice as clearly and that was when he knew he had to come out of the room.

"eventually, I'll be your-"

"What the do you two think you're doing?"

Baekhyun's head immeidately turns over and Yixing pulls away with a smirk.

What the hell! Why are they in that kind of position?!

"Oh Chanyeol, you're up." The senior says casually, completely ignoring the fact that Chanyeol's ears were red and there was an obvious frown on his lips.

"Cha-Chanyeol...!" Baekhyun stared at him before his eyes trailed up to his hair flopped in all directions.do whatever he wanted.

Chanyeol stared down Yixing but shook his head before walking closer and grabbing Baekhyun's hand. Chanyeol liked how Baekhyun's hand was getting warmer from his touch.

"I'll be taking my leave now..and what's mine."

*end of flashback*

They all looked at Chanyeol expectantly. The giant simply shrugged and crossed his arms over his chest. His eyes met Baekhyun's, who also seemed interested in his side of the story.

"Oh I woke up just in time." Chanyeol smirks cheekily. "Also guys, just to put this out there, Baekhyun is mine."

Spoons and chopsticks dropped onto the table with gasps and Baekhyun spit out his water on Chanyeol's face.

It may or may not have been by accident.


 

Hello! This is a surprise update for you guys because today is my birthday hehehe ^o^

Leave a comment! I will randomly chose a reader to feature in my next chapters to show my appreciation for your wonderful comments~ seriously guys, you're all amazing!!! <3 :)

What do you think of Chanyeol being so possessive and clingy with Baekhyun? xD

Any thought's of Sehun's reaction to Baekyeol??

Is Chanyeol's reaction what you expected? What do you think everyone will say after Chanyeol's sudden statement?

Featured comment : flowereu : i'm damn squealing right now i feel so happy when there is a story that's updated! ugh really i don't like yixing here it feels like i want to punch him on the face but no i'm not going to do it for real he's to precious our innocent unicorn why can you be like this in the story lmao waiting for your next update i'm really waiting for the next update like my life depends on it okay bye bye *imitating tao on exo showtime ep 10 when he's on the pc with leader*

Until we meet again, have a gif of Chanyeol >.< Bye~~!