Chapter 16

Protector

"I like you."

Yixing blinked as Joonmyun rubbed the back of his neck. His ears were red and his cheeks were slowly turning pink.

"I like you too." Yixing says with a smile but the minute Joonmyun looked up at him, he knew it wasn't the same 'like.'

"But not the way I like you..."

Yixing watched as Joonmyun sighed.

"Why do you like me?"

Joonmyun stuttered. "W-Well..-"

"As much as I think you're a great person, I'm interested in someone else at the moment."

Joonmyun's eyes widened.

"Y-You are?" His voice faltered. "Who is it?"

Yixing looked at him with a distance gaze and smiled to himself.

"Someone...different."

Joonmyun felt the embarrassment getting to him. "Okay then..I'll be going now."

-

"I mean, I've been so devoted to him for these past three years! How could he-"

"Technically, you had an 'affair' with Kris before he graduated-"

"That doesn't count! I was just annoyed that Yixing chose that stupid senior over me. I dated Kris out of love for Yixing." Joonmyun states and Jongdae rolls his eyes.

"Sure. Whatever floats your boat."

"Water. Water floats my boat. And Yixing is the water to my boat..He was so direct about it too! My confession lasted 10 seconds- probably even less.."

Joonmyun sighed and put his head on the table as Jongdae reached over and patted the senior's shoulder.

"It'l be okay, hyung. You and Kyungsoo boh seem to be rejected by your lovers."

Joonmyun looked from the corner of his eye. "Kyungsoo? What's up with him and Jongin?"

Jongdae shrugs. "Who knows? They're always in a lovey-dovey mess. They'll get their together eventually. But you have to move on."

"What? Why can't Yixing and I get together eventually?"

"Because when Jongin and Kyungsoo fight, its cute. But you're just hopelessly in love with Yixing hyung."

Joonmyun frowns. "Yah! Are you here to comfort me or pour salt on my wounds?"

Jongdae chuckles. "This is why lightning and water don't mix."

"Hey guys."

The two seated male looked up at the sophomore.

"Sehun!" Jongdae scooted over and welcomed the taller male to their table. Joonmyun's long sigh caught Sehun's attention.

"What's wrong?"

Joonmyun mumbled something inaudiable to the youngest of the three.

"What?"

Jongdae waved his hand dismissive at the upset student, turning to Sehun. "Don't worry about him, he's just having a heart break."

Sehun kept quiet for a minute.

"I think I am too."

Joonmyun's body sat up and Jongdae nearly flipped the table over in surprise.

"Is it because of Luhan?!"

Sehun looked at them strangely. "Uh-"

"Did he say something extremely erted that scared you away?" Jongdae asked

Sehun just shook his head. "It's got nothing to do with Luhan hyung..it's someone else."

Jongdae gasped dramatically. "I-It's not..Luhan?"

"Lu hyung is too nice. This other person...I don't really know." Sehun says quietly.

"Is he a sophomore?" Jongdae interrogated. He didn't know many sophomores other than the few that hung around Jongin.

"No.."

"Senior?"  Joonmyun asked. Falling in love with a senior was always a tragedy because after graduation, the chances of you meeting them again were almost close to zero.

"No. Junior." Sehun replies.

Jongdae furrows his eyebrows.

"Do we know him?"

Sehun blushes before standing up. "I-I'm not going to say anymore. Have a good day."

After Sehun walks away, Jongdae looks to Joonmyun across from him.

"Who do you think it is? Luhan is going to be heart broken too."

"Well that makes 4 people in our club." Joonmyun says with a sigh.

"Your club! I'm perfectly capable as an independent man. I'll find myself a loving girlfriend after I graduate."

Jongdae leans back in his chair and rubs his chin in thought.

"Who does our Sehunnie like....?"

-

Baekhyun felt someone tap his shoulder as he made his way down the hall to his next class. He turned around to three girls who a glare on their faces.

"Can I help you?" He asked, hoping they weren't going to cause him any trouble.

"Actually, yeah." One girl says too sweetly before her voice drops. "By staying away from our beloved oppa."

Baekhyun raises an eyebrow. "Who's that?"

One girl scoffs. "You're really stupid aren't you?"

"I-"

"Chanyeol oppa! Chanyeol!" One girl emphasizes his name and Baekhyun blinks. Students were starting to looking at them as they passed by. It didn't help that Baekhyun was only an inch or two taller than the girls. He felt more intimidated than he should have.

"Why should I do that? He's my friend." Baekhyun argues. The second girl rolled her eyes and crossed her arms over her chest.

"That's what you think. Chanyeol is not the person you think he is. He's different from everyone and not on the same level you, ." Her words were harsh and Baekhyun felt like fighting back.

"Excuse you. I don't know who you are or why you're saying this to me but whatever relationship Chanyeol and I have is none of your business. If anything, you three are just jealous that Chanyeol doesn't talk to you-"

"What did you just say?!" The third girl exclaims before pushing Baekhyun over. He fell with a stumble and landed on his aching.

"Yah!" Baekhyun exclaims at this unequal battle. Spectators watched but did nothing to help.

"I heard that you don't have a nova." One girls says loudly and Baekhyun freezes. Whispers started from students around them.

"What?"

"Well, it might be true but we would never know."

Baekhyun opened his mouth to speak but nothing would come out. It was impossible for his voice to be heard an Baekhyun felt his heart beat faster in panic.

"Min, you can't use your nova!" The second girl says to her friend, who seemed to be the leader of the three.

The girl standing before Baekhyu smirked and shrugged before looking at him.

"If you really have a nova, do something."

By now, there was a crowd of students watching Baekhyun get humiliated and revealed by the three girls.

Baekhyun tried to speak again but again, nothing came out. The girls laughed at him as he pathetically attempted to recover his voice.

"Give up you idiot. Min's nova is a voice controller. As long as she wants, you won't be able to speak."

Baekhyun glared at the girls.

Wasn't this about me staying away from Chanyeol?! Wasn't all they wanted Chanyeol? Why are they attacking me? In front of all these people, too..!

"Come on. Do something. Anything..Fly, melt, stop time?" One girl taunted.

Baekhyun knew it was impossible. There was no way he could do any of that.

"I knew it. You're just a fake. You're a phony-"

Baekhyun stood up and grabbed the girl's wrist tightly. He felt this anger inside him that just burst like an time bomb. He couldn't just sit on the ground and let the girl throw these insults at him. 

She glared at him and the other girls exclaimed as Baekhyun wouldn't let go of his grip, no matter how much she tried.

"What do you think you're doing?!" She exclaims with anger. Baekhyun watched the girl struggle before throwing her arm down and letting it go.

"I'm going to tell you this once so you better listen clearly your with tiny ears. I don't care if you adore Chanyeol with all your heart but he's my friend and if I want to spend time with him, I will. Man up and go to him yourself Attacking me won't make Chanyeol notice you nor will he like you any more. You three are jus-"

The three girls were still in shock that Baekhyun was speaking despite having his voice taken away before one of the teachers came through with an upset expression.

"What is this crowd? Is this some sort of circus? Go back to class! Now!" He yells, cutting off Baekhyun's speech. He froze with fear as the girls groaned and complained.

"This is all your fault." One girl says and Baekhyun scoffed in disbelief.

"You have got to be kidding me!" Baekhyun exclaims before the teacher stands in front of them.

"What in the world is going on? I hear that there's a fight going on outside the Physics classroom and this is what I see?"

"Mr. Yin, this isn't what it looks li-"

"I don't care. Song Min-ah, Kim Soo Ji, Li Hyori. To the principal's office, you three or else I will personally you all there."

Baekhyun watched in confusion as he pushed on the girls to leave at once. The girls glared at Baekhyun before walking off.

"Sir..why aren't you sending me to the principal?" Baekhyun asked the teacher whom one of the girls had called Mr. Yin.

"Byun..Baekhyun. Am I correct?" He asks in a more gentle voice. Baekhyun blinked and nodded.

"Your grandfather was a good man. One of the greatest, I'm sure." Mr. Yin says, patting Baekhyun's shoulder.

"You knew him?" Baekhyun was confused. Did his grandfather know about novas?

"Of course. Everyone knew him. He was the best novaist in our community."

Baekhyun's eyes widened. "He was one?"

Mr. Yin nodded. "Well, you're here now. It only makes sense."

Baekhyun didn't know if he could trust this teacher with his secret. Mr. Yin clearly believed that he had a nova too but he was wrong.

"Just go to your next class. This period is ending soon. Don't into any more trouble Baekhyun. He says before walking down the hall.

Baekhyun sighed, picking up his book bag from the floor.

Where's Chanyeol...?

-

"Chanyeol!"

"Chan-"

Baekhyun knocked on his friend's door for the twentieth time. He was so sure that if he knocked again, Chanyeol's neighbors would come out and scold him for being so loud. It was 9 now and Baekhyun had an hour before he had to return to his dorm room. Kyungsoo was studying for a test and Baekhyun didn't want to bother him.

That was mostly his reasoning but he also wanted to see a certain big-eared giant. It had been two days since Baekhyun spoke to Chanyeol. Within this month that Baekhyun arrived to this school, he had already grown accustomed to being with Chanyeol most of the time. Going to see or talk to Chanyeol was like immediately choosing your favorite song when you open the music application.

Though, unlike most times when Chanyeol would open the door after the second knock, Baekhyun was locked out.

"-Yeol..." The enthusiasm Baekhyun had from the first knock had died out. Was Chanyeol ignoring him? Had he heard of the incident earlier today?

"...Are you asleep?" Baekhyun asks, leaning against the door.

No response.

"I really miss talking to you Chanyeol..even though you probably don't.. Something really unfair happened to me today."

No response.

"I also have a history test I should study for but Kyungsoo hyung kicked me out because he said me reading over the textbook pages was bothering him."

No response.

"We should hang out this weekend. If you're up for it."

No response.

"If you're not..then I'll just catch up on my studies..My math is really bad still."

No response.

Baekhyun sighed and walked over to his door.

"Good night Chanyeol."

-

Chanyeol felt a tear slide down his cheek as he listened to Baekhyun. He wanted to talk to him, to tell him that he knew Baekhyun stood up for their friendship. To tell him that his method of studying was indeed bothersome and stupid. To say that he wanted to hang out this weekend. To offer to help Baekhyun study in the library but he couldn't.

It was over.

Chanyeol reached over to his phone and dialed a specific number before putting it to his ear and waiting for them to pick up.

"Say it again. Who was it?" Chanyeol says, listening to the unfortunate truth for the second time.

The person sighed. "Byun. The Byun family."


If y'all want to virtually slap me for not updating for so long, go ahead. Dx

Leave a comment! Who is Yixing interested in? Who is Sehun heartbroken by? Why is Chanyeol acting this way? What do you think Baekhyun's family did?

you, thank you so much for waiting patiently for this update! I genuinely appreciate your support and time spent reading my story >.< <3