Chapter 9

Protector

"So how was class?" Kyungsoo says as he takes a seat on his bed, staring at Baekhyun laying on his bed. His arms and legs were spread out and his face was pressed into his pillow.

"Tehuhm." Baekhun mumbles with a groan and Kyungsoo raises his eyebrow.

"English please?"

The younger male rolled over and looked at him with droopy eyes. "Terrible. Absolutely, 100%, completely-"

"Okay, okay. It was bad. But why?" Kyungsoo's eyes widened. "Did someone find out?"

Baekhyun pouts and shakes his head allowing the soft fabric of his pillowcase rub against his cheek. If only he could also rub away all his memories from today.

"Then...Chanyeol?"

Baekhyun freezes at the name and Kyungsoo sighs.

"What happened?"

Baekhyun sat up and leaned against the wall, hugging his knees as he thought back. "Well..."

Earlier..

"So, Baekhyun..hyung," Jongin whispers and pokes at Baekhyun's arm.

"What?" he responds, trying to listen to the teacher, Mr. Jeong, speak.

"You never told us your nova."

Baekhyun tensed and tried to make up an excuse. There were only 10 minutes left in the period. He could still make it out alive.

"D-Don't worry about that. Just pay attention."

But of course not. Jongin wouldn't be Kim Jongin if he had just given up like that.

"Why? Just say it. I'm not going to judge you."

Baekhyun sighed and tried to ignore the persistent student pulling on his shirt. "That's not the point."

"Then what? Why don't you want to tell me? Is it very powerful? Are you a sub-elemental like Sehun? Or maybe a-"

"You two, in the back!" Mr. Jeong calls out and Baekhyun felt his chest beat rapidly. He looked to Chanyeol who sat beside him but the other male said nothing and didn't even look his way.

"Y-Yes, sir?" Baekhyun says, contemplating whether he should have spoken up or not.

"You think chatting is more important than our first lesson?"

Baekhyun immediately shakes his head. "N-No not at all."

Jongin looked at Baekhyun. Some other students had turned their heads around to look at them.

"What are your names?" Mr. Jeong asks with a frown and they both hesitate to speak.

"My name is Kim Jongin."

The teacher's eyes drifted to Baekhyun and he felt the hairs on his arm stand with fear.

"B-Byun Baekhyun." He didn't know whether to feel embarrassed or scared of what was going to happen next.

"Well, I'm sure you two are very eager to learn about novas."

Baekhyun wanted to shake his head but simply remained silent.

"How about we do some demonstrations? That should get you all hyped."

"When demonstrating, it's important to be aware of those around you. Controlling your nova is done with practice and concentration." Mr. Jeong says as he scans the students. "For example."

Everyone watched as the man closed his eyes and took a deep breath. Just watching him was intense enough for Baekhyun.

"What is he doing?" Baekhyun whispers to Jongin.

Sehun speaks up. "He's focusing his energy and training his thoughts to activate his nova."

This was all foreign to Baekhyun but everyone seemed relaxed, as if this was normal.

Suddenly, the ground began to shake, causing some people to yell out in panic.

Within a few seconds, the rumbling stopped and everything was normal again.

"As you can see, I have one of many different sub-categories of the earth nova. Mine is control over the movement of the plates underground." The teacher explains quite proudly. "There are other kinds of earth novas that deal with the nature of our planet, which is quite self explanatory."

Baekhyun tried to stop his heart from beating so quickly. The aftershock of the tiny earthquake was something he never wanted to experience again.

Chanyeol, on the other hand, looked dazed and had hands in his pockets. It seemed as if he hadn't been paying attention to anything for the past half hour. He could probably care less to be in this class.

"It seems we don't have much time today. This class only meets twice a week for safety purposes this first semester. Next semester, we'll meet 3 times a week."

The chime of the school bell rang and students began to pick up their bags and walk away.

"Class is over. You should get to your next class, too." Jongin says, fixing his backpack straps before jogging away with his two friends.

Baekhyun watches them leave before finding himself walking to Chanyeol, who was speaking to the teacher.

"I'll be taking my leave." Chanyeol says with a bow. He turns around to leave before noticing that Baekhyun had waited for him. Almost everyone had left, with only few lingering students.

Chanyeol looked away and let his backpack sling on one shoulder. Baekhyun walked beside him, not sure if the giant would mind his company. There were so many things that he wanted to ask.

"So..Chanyeol.." Baekhyun starts and the latter hums in responds. Chanyeol didn't even look at Baekyun.

"What do you-...Actually never mind."

He wanted to know more about Chanyeol. Why he was so cold-hearted when he had to power to spread and create fire, heat.

"Don't ask any stupid questions." Chanyeol says and Baekhyun frowns.

"I didn't even say anything."

"You were going to."

Chanyeol makes a turn down a hallway and Baekhyun hesitates to follow him.

"Why are you following me?" He says and Baekhyun blinks.

"Well, I have a free period now..And I'm supposed to be your...s-slave for a week."

Chanyeol look at him and a tiny laugh escapes his lips. Baekhyun watches the man's expression, trying to catch on if Chanyeol was laughing at him or because of what he had said. Either way, it didn't make much of a difference.

"You're actually going to do it?"

"Only because I owe you a lot and I don't want to be in debt to you."

Chanyeol held back a snicker and Baekhyun frowned. "If this is just a joke to you then I'll jus-"

"No," Chanyeol looks at Baekhyun with a smirk and Baekhyun looked back up at him. He was starting to feel the height difference. "Come with me."

-

"What?!" Baekhyun half whispered in disbelief.

"You heard me. You just have to pass this to Jongdae. He left it at our dorm this morning." Chanyeol leans against the wall, arms crossed over his chest and one knee bent. Baekhyun narrowed his eyes at the giant.

"What is even inside? I don't-"

"Just do it, please. You're a slave. No objections." Chanyeol says and Baekhyun huffs, looking down at the blue folder in his hands.

"But he's in class."

"Exactly why I'm telling you to do it."

Baekhyun huffs. "If I get into trouble, you're dead meat."

Chanyeol shrugs. "What is a slave without a master?"

"A free one." Baekhyun mumbles before taking a deep breath. Why he was doing this, he had no idea. He should just ditch Chanyeol to deal with his own problems. What was so important in the bag that Jongdae couldn't get it after class?

Baekhyun peeked into the classroom's back door and tried to spot Chanyeol's roommate. His eyes scanned the back of each person's head until he noticed Jongdae sitting to one side of the room.

"J-Jongdae!" Baekhyun whispered but the said male didn't turn his way.

"Jongdae!" Baekhyun says a bit more loudly. By now, a few other students noticed Baekhyun's failed attempts to get the student's attention. Someone was kind enough to tap on Jongdae's shoulder when the teacher wasn't looking.

With a few whispers and confusion, Jongdae finally got the message and turned around enough to notice Baekhyun at the door. His eyes widened and his facial expression brightened.

'Baekhyun?' he mouthed and shrugged his shoulders in a gesture to ask what he was doing here.

Baekhyun held up the folder and Jongdae immediately knew what it was. The teacher turned around to speak to the class and Baekhyun quickly hid from view. He looked to his left but the tall sophomore was no longer there.

I'm going to kill Chanyeol...!

'Baekhyun!" Jongdae says, coming out through the other door and the younger male breathed a sigh of relief.

"Here."

Jongdae took the folder and opened it. "Thanks, Baek. Did Chanyeol tell you to do this?"

Baekhyun sighed and nodded. "Unfortunately yes..Is this what you need?"

"Yeah, for this class actually." He says.

"Oh.."

"This is why Chanyeol is the best roommate. He may not seem like it but he's very attentive." Jongdae winks and Baekhyun rolls his eyes.

"Sure."

Jongdae frowned. "Is he bothering you?"

Baekhyun simply shook his head. "No, it's nothing..If this is all, I'm going to go. You should probably get back to class."

Jongdae smiled and pated Baekhyun's shoulder.

"Feel free to talk to me if you need a friend! I'll be going now. Thanks again." With that, Jongdae walks back into his classroom and Baekhyun was left in the hallway by himself.

**

"Jerk Chanyeol..made me do this and just left me.." Baekhyun mumbled and Kyungsoo sighed.

"It wasn't terrible. It's your first day. I'm sure things will get better."

Baekhyun flopped over. "I highly doubt it. Everything about this school is driving me insane. Chanyeol is driving me insane."

"Well would you rather have people finding out you-"

"Dont say it, hyung. It makes me feel worse." Baekhyun groaned. Class hours were now over and students had 3 hours to themselves before they had to go to dinner.

"If-"

There was a knock on their door that interrupted Kyungsoo. The older male got off his bed and slowly opened the door.

"Chanyeol."

Baekhyun felt like hiding at the sound of that name. Why is he always everywhere?!

"I'm looking for-"

"-Baekhyun?" Kyungsoo finishes. Baekhyun tried to pretend as if he was sleeping, taking advantage of the fact that he was already laying down on his bed.

"I have a few things to give to him, that's all." Baekhyun tried to not focus on how deep Chanyeol's voice was. If Chanyeol looked into the room, he would be able to see Baekhyun spread out on his bed.

"He's asleep right now." Kyungsoo says and Baekhyun mentally thanks his roommate. "Is it something I can pass onto him?"

Chanyeol nodded. "Yeah. I wrote it all down in here."

The giant exchanged something with Kyungsoo but Baekhyun couldn't tell or hear what. He was too afraid to move until he knew that Chanyeol was gone.

"Thanks." was all he said before the door closed and Kyungsoo was walked back to their beds. Baekhyun sat right up and his eyes widened.

"What's that?!"

Kyungsoo effortlessly carried several textbooks and notebooks with one hand.

"I have a feeling I know what it is but you should probably check..he said he wrote it down..here." He pulls out a folded piece of paper stuck t the edge of one of the notebooks and handed it to Baekhyun. 

Baekhyun took the paper and read it, his eyes scanning over the scrawly handwriting.

"This is tomorrow's homework. Please get it don- What the hell?!" Baekhyun looked at the stack of books Kyungsoo held and back at the note. Chanyeol had writen down which textbooks had which questions. They were mostly from the classes that Baekhyun didn't have with him but he didn't understand why Chanyeol had so much homework already on the first day.

"As expected.." Kyungsoo says, putting the books down.

"What do you mean?"

Kyungsoo flips through one of the notebooks before looking over at a confused Baekhyun. "Chanyeol is the school's top student. He's in a lot of advanced and honors classes, which as you can see, get a real head start in the beginning of the year."

Baekhyun couldn't tell if he was angry or upset. Chanyeol was going to be the death of him.

"How am I supposed to do all this?!"

Kyungsoo chuckles. "Good luck, Baek. Chanyeol can actually do all this on his own but I'm guessing he's putting you to good use."

Baekhyun huffs. "We'll see about that."


I apologize for my terribly late update! (╥_╥)

Leave a comment! When do you think Chanyeol will discover Baekhyun's secret? Is Chanyeol just playing Baekhyun? What is Baekhyun going to do about this slave deal?

Thank you for being so patient! You're the best! *virutal hug*

Thanks for reading~<3