Night time encounters (Jimin)

Lonely Nights & New Smells

 

Sometimes silence is all I need. Silence and peace. Two things which are pretty hard to find in a house with eight independent residents, so in a way, when my thoughts are running away with themselves at three in the morning, in some twisted way it's like they're doing me a favour.

I roll over in bed, legs twisting up the duvet as I reach for my phone yet again. I squint against the bright light of the screen as I unlock it.

3.06 am

With a heavy sigh I resign myself to not sleeping for at least another hour and get up, dragging my throw with me and allowing it to trail on the floor as I trek to the ground floor social space. Sometimes I find it easier to sleep there than in my own room, and if that doesn't work, it is at least quiet and I'm very unlikely to be disturbed until about 8.30 or maybe 9 when someone notices I haven't got up. Hopefully. I mean, my plans often go astray so I guess I wouldn't be that surprised if someone disturbed me today of all days.

I pad across the floor to the far corner where the bean bags are stacked up, nudging them a little pathetically with my feet until I get them roughly where I want them. Then I realise I've forgotten to bring either a) my phone or b) my pillow. Leaving my throw behind, I trudge back to my room, dragging my feet and grab the forgotten items. I also, this time, pick up my key and lock my bedroom door behind myself. It's not really necessary since I know everyone who lives here pretty well – well, with the exception of Namjoon – but it's a comforting thought to know that all my belongings are just that little bit safer.

I make my way back across to the beanbag pile, dropping my pillow and turning back to glance at the open doorway. It's a habit I guess, but this time, to my absolute horror, there's someone silhouetted in the doorway, someone tall. I shriek and my knees give out, dropping me to the floor. Adrenaline rushes through me and I stare at the figure in shock and fear. It hasn't moved.

“Oh my god! Get away!” I'm met with laughter. Laughter I recognise. Freaking Namjoon. He reaches out and switches the lights on at their dimmest setting, revealing the smirk on his face as I gaze up at him. I scowl, placing down my phone and keys and fiddling with them so I don't have to look at his amused expression. “Do- do you make a habit out of creeping up on people at weird time of night?” I say, when my heart has finally stopped racing like it’s gonna beat its way out of my chest.

“Not until now,” he says slowly and I stare at him for a moment, unable to form proper words let alone string them into sentences; I'd expected a defensive, flat out ‘no’ and my sleep deprived brain can't deal with people breaking away from the script. “I heard you get up,” he continues. I gaze at him steadily waiting for the words to make a bit more sense.

“You heard me get up?” I ask him, a little incredulously. I'd been as quiet as I could.

“Yes, that is what I said.” He responds, finally making his way into the room. I shuffle back a little bit without even thinking about it and he frowns at me.

But I’m still too hung up on the fact that he heard me get up to care – I wasn't noisy, does he have some kind of super hearing or something? I really wouldn't put it past him. And then it pops into my head, something he said when he first scared me; your heart is beating so fast. He could hear my heart? There is something very odd about this guy.

“Great, well what exactly where you hoping to achieve by getting up and following me except scaring me?” I glared at him. “Again.” His expression kind of… wobbled… I don't know how else to describe it, but for a moment, he looked really sad before brightening as if it had never happened.

“Well I wasn't asleep either, I thought maybe we could talk…” He paused before walking closer. He sank down to the floor and leant against one of the couches, head turned towards me. “You avoid me.”

“Of course I avoid you! You haven't given me any reason not too!” My voice rose a little bit but he just nodded before responding in a flat tone.

“You never gave me a chance.” There was a loaded silence. Neither of us moved, we just stared at each other. Perhaps he was right; I'd taken an instant disliking to him and given him very little chance to redeem himself.

“Fine.” He smiles wide, showing his dimples and I can feel my resolve softening even further at the sight. When he's not being weird or intimidating, I have to admit that he looks quite cute.

“What subject do you take?” He asks me.

“History.” He looks surprised.

“Oh, I assumed dance since everyone talks about you dancing so much.” That's news to me. I only dance in my free time although I do admittedly have quite a bit of that. “I take English and Philosophy.”

“Yeah, Joohyun told me,” I reply. I'm about to comment that the subjects he takes seem unlikely, but then I realise that I really don't know anything about him, just the judgements I have made. Neither of us knows the other at all. “Why did you move so suddenly?” He grimaces and shifts uncomfortably, making me think I probably should have raised the subject so suddenly like that.

“There was… some trouble…” He says softly then switches the subject completely. I don't want to push any further anyway so the change is kind of welcome. Kind of. “So, have you always been this jumpy?” Now it's my turn to shift about awkwardly. I move back so that I can sit on the beanbags as I reply.

“I can't help it, sometimes things make me jump.” I whine. He giggles. Actually giggles.

“I didn't know anyone so dumb could also be this cute!” I'm speechless. Backhanded compliments are the worst – I don't know whether to be offended that he called me dumb or flattered that he called me cute! Although… coming from him… Ugh. I don't want this.

“You're so rude.” I deadpan but he only laughs.

 

We talk for a while longer. I get comfortable on the beanbags, curled up comfortably in my throw whilst Namjoon takes up residence on the sofa he was previously leaning against. I learn that he's older than me; 21 and a third year, whilst I'm in my second year. At some point, we fall asleep. Or at least, we must have, because when Sooyoung gently shakes me awake in the morning, he's sprawled on his tummy on the couch, one arm dangling down, hand trailing on the carpet. Sooyoung slips back out of the room as soon as she's sure I'm awake. I raise a hand to my eyes, rubbing away the sleep before stretching my back. Sleeping on bean bags isn't great for your back really, but at least I got to sleep in the end.

I stand up slowly, the throw dropping away from me, and cross over to Namjoon. He looks smaller, sweeter like this and I allow a small smile to spread on my lips as I think about our conversation held in the early hours of the morning. Perhaps I was too quick to judge him.

I kneel down beside him, place a hand on his shoulder.

“Namjoon?” I say softly. “It's time to get up.” Suddenly his hand is fisted in the front of my t-shirt even though his eyes are still closed. I stiffen, unsure how to react, especially since he doesn't even seem to be awake yet. A couple seconds later his amber eyes blink open and fix me with a hard gaze. Then he seems to recognise me and lets go wig a sheepish grin.

“Sorry, habit,” he says, and I wonder a little more about exactly what his last roommates must have been like if that's his normal reaction to being woken up.

“Right. Well, uh, it's breakfast time.” He nods and gets up to follow me to the kitchen.

 


Hey lovelies!!!

I hope you're all well <3 I'm trying to progress this story a little more but I'm sorry if it seems slow moving to begin with ^^;

Also, aldnoah38, I made this chapter cuter than it would have otherwise been just for you - you're welcome ;)

Please tell me what you think sweeties ~