Housemates (Jimin)

Lonely Nights & New Smells

 

Breakfast time is always a little weird because everyone gets up at different times. Seungwan and Sooyoung are always up unnecessarily early, who knows why, whilst Hyosang and I get up at the latest possible time that still allows us to get to our lectures. Yoongi just doesn't. But he also doesn't need to - lucky bastard doing a PhD. It's been practically four months and I've yet to see Joohyun in the morning, I have no idea what she does but, by all accounts, she rarely sleeps here anyways. I'm pretty sure only Seulgi gets up at a sensible time. And, apparently, Namjoon, as I discover when I rush into the kitchen at half past eight in the middle of switching around the t-shirt I just put on backwards. I come to a sudden halt in the doorway; Namjoon looks incredibly different this morning. Somehow… refined?

He sits in one of the wooden chairs at the round table, legs neatly crossed and a green hardback book held delicately open in one hand, whilst the other is occupied by a croissant. We have croissants? But that isn't even the half of it. Kim freaking Namjoon this morning has a soft expression and silver wire rimmed glasses to match the neatly parted and combed hair. Soft grey trousers with an ironed-in crease complement the pale blue shirt and hug his legs in ways I could do without this early in the morning. He’s even wearing navy blue braces. How on earth can someone look this together this early in the morning? How can someone look this unacceptably hot?

You know, I didn't know my mouth had dropped open until Hyosang, who's clearly just surfaced from the depths of his room, reaches around from behind me and firmly closes it, snapping me out of my daze. He pushes past with a chuckle and a whisper along the lines of ‘I said he was your type’ as I look up to see that most of the room’s other occupants are staring at me.

Seulgi, sitting on the opposite side of the table from where I'm standing, has a definite smirk. A quick glance over her shows me that her outfit is not that dissimilar to the man that so clearly caught my attention; tight blue jeans, an orange tinted linen top tucked in the top of her jeans and worn under her own pair of beige braces, hair even parted on the same side. Now I'm the one with a smirk. Seulgi sees my glances between her and the silver haired man and suddenly has the same realisation I just had. It's kind of funny to watch.

Seungwan has a rather amusingly gormless expression on, mouth hanging open just like mine was, eyes flitting between myself and Namjoon. Hyosang also closes as he goes past, very nearly tripping over a leg belonging to the young girl currently sprawled over the table next to Seulgi. He only seems to see her at the last minute, sidestepping suddenly and hooking an arm round Sooyoung’s waist for balance. The bemused expression she'd had whilst looking at me drops immediately as she bolts up from where she'd slouched against the counter.

“What do you think you're doing!?” Hyosang bows hastily and quickly sticks his head in a cupboard to avoid being yelled at. “Damn straight.” Sooyoung mutters, leaning forward to tap the girl sleeping on the table awake. “Yerim,” she intones softly. “Yerim!” The girl mumbles a little, twitching suddenly before her sweet eyes open and she sits up, stretching cutely as she wakes. Yerim doesn't actually live here although it certainly seems like it since she's here so often. She's actually still in high school but she's always around. I’m certain I see her more than I see Joohyun. She blinks at me.

“Oppa, are you going to put your shirt on already?” She asks, fixing her own top as she speaks. I look down at myself just as Namjoon suddenly glances my way. Oh man I got so distracted by looking at him, I forgot to actually put my top back on. I finish twisting it around and slide my arms out through the sleeves, gaze focused on the linoleum floor and acutely aware of the sudden heat in my cheeks.

“Good morning.” I say to the floor as I finally make my way into the kitchen. I walk round the table to Sooyoung who picks up a covered plate of the side and presses it into my hands. It's still warm. “Thank you!” I gush, the breakfasts that Sooyoung makes are the best I've tasted and she does this for me nearly every day – she said something about making sure I actually eat but I think she's just a sweetheart. Hyosang is already settled at the table, pouring a bowl of cereal. At the sight of Sooyoung giving me breakfast, he starts up his usual train of whining ‘why do you save him breakfast?’, ‘why don’t I get to eat your food’, ‘I'm your oppa too’, ‘Joy~ please~’ etc. etc. He even uses her nickname to try to sway her but all it earns him is a scowl. I glance up as I lean across to the drawers to grab us some cutlery to see Namjoon watched these exchanges with a mild smile on his face. And those dimples. Those dimples are gonna be the death of me. My chair teeters on two legs and I refocus on attaining cutlery for the moment, achieving my aim and handing Hyosang a spoon over Yerim who, whilst now awake, is seemingly in another realm, gazing into space with round eyes.

I glance round the table and immediately regret it as I make eye contacted with the silver haired man who has now set down his book and is gazing at me intently. I suppress the urge to shiver at those eyes on me.

“Good morning.” He says smiling wide now but although the tone is bright, his voice is low and strongly reminds me of his demeanour last night. I scowl, only deeming to grunt I return as I finally break eye contact, lifting the cover off my food; a full English breakfast. Man, does it look good. I'm about to bring my fork to my mouth when someone swats T the back of my head and I drop it.

“Yah, respect your elders!” Seulgi. I just gape at my plate for a moment before redirecting my gaze to look at Namjoon in surprise. I never thought about his age. He's my elder? I dutifully bow my head in his direction and give a proper greeting this time. I'm sure I'm not imagining the sudden twinkle in his amber eyes after I've done so.

After that, Hyosang and I settle into our usual routine of eating as fast as we can without making ourselves ill. Seokjin is is our only true rival in this art. I finish first today, despite having more food and slam my cutlery down on the table, snapping sweet Yerim out of her reverie. Seeing that I'm done, she slowly reaches down to pull her schoolbag out from under the table. Since I'm done first, Hyosang gets the joy of putting my plate away and he gives me an irked glare as I rush next to into my room. It takes longer than usual to find any socks (I wonder if someone stole them) and I grab the first jumper I can see. I pick up all the relevant work for today and dump it in my bag, making sure not to forget the monster essay I was assigned last week. Mondays are my earliest start of the week and I have perfected my morning routine.

I move back out into the kitchen, clutching my backpack with the dark green hoodie I found slung over my shoulders. Hyosang reappears at pretty much the same time despite having his room on the top floor with both our coats in hand. We really have this down to a T. The startled expression on Namjoon’s face tickles me. I reach past him to pick up the lunch Seulgi has just slid across the table for me, muttering a quick ‘thanks’. Then I turn to leave, only pausing to wait for Seungwan and Yerim who also have to leave at this time on a Monday.

“Do they always act like this…?” Namjoon half whispers to no one in particular. Seungwan laughs and a soft giggle sounds from Yerim beside me. Seulgi just sighs as she leaves the kitchen.

“Namjoon-ssi,” Seungwan says just before she pulls the door closed, “you better get used to mornings like this.”

 


Hello sweeties!

I hope you liked this little chapter - it was a good way for me to introduce almost all of Jimin's roommates and their attitudes towards each other (only Yoongi and Joohyun that we have yet to meet) plus a couple other characters and oh man I love writing the interactions! Each character is formed in my head and I just love the dynamic ;D But it's about to go through a major shift, courtesy of Namjoon ;3

This is unedited ^^; Of course ^^; I'll come back tomorrow and sort it. Probably ;3

By the way, do you guys know Red Velvet well or would it help for me to put some brief character intros in the foreword or perhaps in an extra chapter?

As always, thank you so much for reading, commenting, subscribing and even upvoting *.*

Please tell me what you think ~