Out of Time

Life is Strange

"With great power comes great bull." Tiffany looked up, intrigued at the girl's random outbursts. Despite Taeyeon's constant refusal and harsh words, the two ended up spending the day together. They skipped their morning classes and headed for the local Two Whales Diner for a late breakfast instead. Tiffany offered, anyway.

"Let's take your car." Taeyeon said, grabbing a light, blue, and yellow plaid jacket. "And sneak out through the back. The security doesn't really check the back."

Tiffany paused, her hands in her bag. "How'd you know I have a car?" As far as Tiffany knew, only Seohyun and her friend Jessica knew she had a car. She didn't like flashing or driving it out after school, or else she'd be bothered with requests for rides.

Taeyeon gave an uneasy smile, but didn't say anything. As usual, she wiped her smile off her face quickly, squinting into the distance. She raised her right hand up as if she was reaching out to grab something. Tiffany watched carefully as she eventually curled her fingers into a fist. She sighed, then in her annoyed voice said, "Just go."

X X X

If Tiffany had to decide on one word to describe Taeyeon, it would be a maze. The girl seemed difficult to please, but went along with everything. Only Tiffany was lost in the girl's crooked attitude ; the way Taeyeon hated her, yet seemed to genuinely care. Her eyes seemed so dull, so lifeless, as if she's already been through the day five or ten times.

Tiffany drove them to the diner quickly, regretting she hadn't used the restroom before she left. They entered the diner and quickly sat down.

"Gotta use the ladies room real quick." Tiffany said, tossing her bag on the opposite seat of Taeyeon's. "Go ahead and order for yourself." She said, running off to the bathroom.

Taeyeon scooted to the side, trying to avoid the sunlight that burned her. Joyce, the owner of Two Whales Diner, walked over with the same smile she'd worn on her face since Taeyeon met her. Before Joyce could even present the menu, Taeyeon raised her hand out and gently smiled. "Bacon omelette for me. Strawberry and banana pancakes for her. Also, she likes raspberry lemonade. Water for me."

Joyce's surprise quickly turned into an impressed smile. "You sure know your stuff, don't you? Alright, gimme a couple minutes."

"All you need is seven." Taeyeon winks, looking at the old fashioned clock hanging on the wall. Tiffany came back shortly after, wiping her hands on her ripped blue jeans.

"I already ordered for you." The girl says, scratching her neck. "I hope you don't mind."

"Oh." Tiffany replied blankly, hoping the girl ordered something good. "No, I guess I don't."

The diner was nearly empty for the most part. The bar area was occupied the most as the customers watched and listened to the news mindlessly. Taeyeon listened to it, or pretended to at least, since she had already heard this more than enough.

In a few seconds, she knew Tiffany would ask her a question. Taeyeon watched the clock tick as she waited.

Tick. Tick. Tick.

"Hey, I just.." Tiffany started off, ruffling her hair. "..Look..I don't know what you were doing in the bathroom, but I'm thankful you were there to save me."

Taeyeon held her breath. This wasn't a question.

"And I know you've been telling me to go away..but I was hoping we could be..friends." She chuckled nervously. "It'd be nice to have another helpful friend around..I think you're pretty cool and..brave.."

Taeyeon frowns. "You don't know anything about me."

Tiffany leans back, unsurprised at her bipolar outburst again. "Yeah..I guess I don't.."

Joyce walked towards their table, putting their drinks down. Tiffany was pleasantly surprised to see her favorite drink in front of her. She wondered for a second if it was Taeyeon's drink, but her doubts were removed once the girl took a sip of the water.

"Is this..mine?"

Taeyeon nods and Tiffany takes a sip.

"..Raspberry lemonade."

The girl nods again.

"...I guess it's a coincidence you ordered what just happened to be my favorite drink." Tiffany giggled, taking another sip. Joyce came back, both of her hands occupied with their plates.

"Here ya go!" She says happily placing down the plates. Again, Tiffany was amazed at Taeyeon's ordering skills.

"Strawberry and banana pancakes." Her eyes turned into little crescent moons. "..My favorite." She looked up into Taeyeon's eyes for anything. Happiness? Confidence? Instead, she saw those dull, tired eyes as she saw before.

"Just eat." Taeyeon mumbles, looking away. Just as she focused on grabbing her utensils, Tiffany thought she saw Taeyeon proudly grin.

They ate in silence for the most part. Taeyeon ate small nibbles, but it was obvious that she wasn't very hungry. She spent most of her time rubbing her temples, keeping napkins stuffed in her pale hands.

"Do you have a sickness?" Tiffany says in between sips. "You've been really pale lately. Especially after you collapsed. The nurse said it was just exhaustion.."

"I guess you can say that." She shrugs. "I'm just a little tired."

Tiffany chuckled. "The school year just started! We're Seniors now. Just this year and that's it..We'll be going on with our lives..have you given a thought about the college you're going to? Blackwell Academy has a pretty good reputation."

"Not really.." The girl said, playing with her water. "Haven't given the future much thought. I guess I'm a little stuck in the past."

"Aren't we all?" Tiffany giggles again, taking off her denim jacket. "I'm still in the summer mood. Say, since we've already skipped class, why don't we have a little fun? We can go to the beach or something.."

"Tiffany, do you--" Taeyeon pauses, her eyes twitching. "......this is going to sound stupid, but, do you believe in..fate?" She has her right arm out, ready to rewind her stupid question. She carefully analyzed the girl's facial expressions, wondering if her question would save or kill her.

The girl nervously smiled. "Wowser. Uh, I guess so? Are you talking about it in a romantic kind of way or..?"

"Just.." She closes her eyes, smacking herself playfully on the forehead. "L-Let's just say, something crazy happens, and you end up..getting superpowers..what would you d-do?" Tiffany gives her a weird look. "I-It's for my creative writing class..I just need some advice."

"Oh." Tiffany says, a little disappointed. "I don't know, it depends. What kind of powers? If it was anything useful, I'd use it to help people."

"So if you got a million dollars right here and now..you'd use it to help other people?" She nods.

"I'm sure whoever or whatever gave me the million dollars surely would like me to use it for good things."

Taeyeon frowns. "You wouldn't use it for yourself?"

"I'd use some of it, of course. I guess there's a little selfishness in everyone. It's okay to be selfish."

"It's okay to be selfish.." Her face darkens as she curls her fingers in. "So it's alright to use superpowers to help yourself, right?"

"I guess so, as long as you're not hurting anyone along the way." Tiffany crosses her arm, giving a small grin. "What's your main character's superpower?"

"It's.." Taeyeon sighs and leans in, dropping her voice. "..It's not a story, Tiffany. What if I told you I had..superpowers?"

Tiffany's heart skipped a little, though she didn't quite understand why. She would have laughed it off if it was Seohyun who was talking. But she was cautious around the strange girl so she pretended to be interested and believed the girl.

"Super Taeyeon. I like it." She winks. "What's your superpower, Super Taeyeon?"

"...I can rewind time..to a certain extent..I can only rewind so far..and I can't just jump into any part of the past I want to..it's a little.." She looks away, staring at the clock above. "..complicated."

"I gotta see it to believe it." The girl says. "Prove it."

Taeyeon, for the first time, genuinely smiles, relaxing Tiffany a little. "Well, uhm, I can tell you what you have in your pockets."

"Bring it on." Tiffany grins again. She started patting her pockets ; loose change and some keys rattled. "Oops."

"Keys."

"Well, duh!" She points at her truck outside. "You're gonna have to be more specific. What kind of keychain do I have?"

"Uhm..a cute....cat..?" Tiffany scoffs playfully. "Boo, Super Taeyeon is a Super liar." She pulls out her keys, showing the panda keychain she has with her. In the other pocket, she pulls out and spills onto the table a bunch of coins. 78 cents exactly. She also had a lighter and a parking ticket from a couple days ago.

The girl carefully examines all of them, memorizing the exact number of change, the time of the ticket, the lighter's design, then she releases a heavy breath.

"Alright." Taeyeon extends her right hand----------------

 

"Bring it on." Tiffany grins again. She started patting her pockets ; loose change and some keys rattled. "Oops."

"Keys."

"Well, duh!" She points at her truck outside. "You're gonna have to be more specific. What kind of keychain do I have?"

Taeyeon smirks. "A cute panda keychain."

"Psh, I bet you saw it hanging when I was driving. Alright, what else do I have?"

"A lot of coins, loose change, I guess, 78 cents exactly." Tiffany stuffs her hands down her pockets, pulling out all her change. She picks at each one, counting them before sliding them to the side. "74..75..76..77..78.." She slides the last penny to the side, nodding in amusement. "Wowser."

"You have a pink and black lighter with Victoria's name taped on the bottom." She pats her chest pocket, which was where the lighter was. "And you've got a parking ticket from October 3rd. 10:27AM."

Tiffany had forgotten about the parking ticket until Taeyeon reminded her. She patted her denim jacket's pockets and sure enough, a wrinkled up yellow ticket came into view. The girl paused, rubbing the paper between her fingers. If this was some sort of prank, Taeyeon was really good at it.

"Alright, you got me." She crosses her arms, still refusing to believe. "But I need a little more convincing, Super Taeyeon."

"I can tell you what's going to happen in the next two minutes." Taeyeon watches Joyce work, leaving the counter to serve another refill of coffee. She bumps into a sleepy trucker who dropped his mug on the floor.

"Another one? No refill for you!" Joyce sighs, tending to the other customers. A bunch of teenagers eating began to yell at each other, to which Joyce shouted and told them to hush down. "If you're gonna fight, bring it outside!"

A radio sparks the officer's attention, asking for assistance on a car accident near the highway. The siren outside blasts on and his partner leaves him. A cockroach flies on the jukebox, changing the station.

"Well? What are you waiting for?" Tiffany says, eyeing Taeyeon with amusement.

"Hold on.." Taeyeon extends her right hand-----------------


"But I need a little more convincing, Super Taeyeon."

"I'm going to tell you what happens in the next two minutes."

"Shoot."

"The trucker over there drops and breaks his mug. The teenagers over there get into an argument but Joyce tells them to bring it outside. The officer's radio turns on and his partner leaves him, and a cockroach flies on the jukebox and changes the station."

"Alright Super Taeyeon..let's see.."

Tiffany watches Joyce work, leaving the counter to serve another refill of coffee. She bumps into a sleepy trucker who dropped his mug on the floor.

"Another one? No refill for you!" Joyce sighs, tending to the other customers. A bunch of teenagers eating began to yell at each other, to which Joyce shouted and told them to hush down. "If you're gonna fight, bring it outside!"

A radio sparks the officer's attention, asking for assistance on a car accident near the highway. The siren outside blasts on and his partner leaves him. A cockroach flies on the jukebox, changing the station.

The upbeat song plays in the background as Tiffany stares at Taeyeon, jaws open.

She bows her head and clasps her hands together.

"I pledge allegiance to..Taeyeon's glorious power!" Taeyeon laughs, hitting the girl gently on the head. "Stop it."

"Wowser." For the first time, Tiffany felt comfortable with the girl, though she wasn't quite sure if everything was a coincidence or if Taeyeon really had this power..she understood the girl a little more. "Are you cereal?"

"Super cereal." Taeyeon couldn't believe her luck. Never in her times rewinding back into the past had she decided to let Tiffany in her secret of superpowers. She always thought it would ruin it. Instead, she repeated time over and over again to save the girl who always seemed to get in harm's way. Though she fell deeper and deeper in love in the beginning, each rewind made her feel more distant. She watched the clock tick on. If she wanted Tiffany to forget about her powers, she would need to rewind in the next few minutes.

"So why tell me?"

Taeyeon opened , but uttered no sound.

"...The first time Nathan threatened you in the bathroom..I saw you actually get shot..that's when I first got my rewind power."

"And you used it to save me?"

Taeyeon blushed, but nodded.

"..It all makes sense now..how you know my favorite drinks, how I have a car, or knew what was in my pockets. This hasn't been the first time we met, has it?"

"No. We were close friends before."

"And you rewinded time again, why?"

"Because..every time we got close..I guess..bad luck just kept getting to you..you always ended up in a..tragedy.."

"..How many times have you rewinded?"

"Too many times." She sighs. "That's why I was such an to you..I was ready to give up. I believed getting close to you was bad for the both of us. I tried to push you away, but..you're still as stubborn as the first time we met." Taeyeon has this cheery, lukewarm smile. "This is my first time telling you I have superpowers, though."

"First time huh?" Tiffany mumbles, getting the check to pay off their little date. They walked to her old truck where they waited and to air out the ending summer's heat. "I hope I'm different, Taeyeon."

"Yeah.." She rubs her nose and massages her head. "I hope so too."

Being Super Tae and having superpowers wouldn't be so bad...if only Tiffany Hwang didn't keep dying so much.