Chaos Theory

Life is Strange


 

Tiffany has this look on her face, like she's seen the best thing in the world. She picks up the toy hammer, wipes off the dirt, and smashes it onto the top of an old car. The little red toy squeaks, and she bursts out into laughter. Her eyes folds into little moons and her smile shines like the stars. All I can hear throughout the empty junkyard is her adorable, high-pitched voice. She hits it again, and continues laughing.

I'm so in love.

I bring my light blue polaroid to my eyes and take a shot. She looks back at me, unsurprised that I was watching.

As I wait for the film to finish developing, she hops around the junkyard, jumping around like a hyperactive child.

I want to protect her so much.

She runs up the back of a retired truck and slips, though it was scary, she ends up laughing away the pain.

"Oww.." She snickers, pointing at her bruised hip. "Guess I had a little too much fun." Tiffany smiles.

"Hold on." I say, bringing my right hand up. Everything reverses around me. She's on the floor. She's standing up. She's running backwards. She's jumping up and down.

A paranormal pain squeezes my head and I stop. She sees the truck and begins her steps.

"Don't run up the truck. You're going to fall and get hurt." I warn.

"Aww. That's no fun." Her eyebrows flicker up. "You rewinded, didn't you?"

"Maybe."

"All for me." She smiles again. "Thank you."

I can feel my cheeks flush as I turn away, waving the blank polaroid around. She hops off the back of the truck and runs around me like a little kid, after a while, she begins to stop, catching her breath with a cheeky, uneasy grin.

"I don't know why, but being with you makes me happy." She confesses. "There's just some chemistry between us."

"This isn't the first time we fell in love." I pause, realizing what I had just said. "I..I didn't mean to.." She has this mixture of emotions plastered on her face. Was she surprised? Relieved? ..Disappointed?

My face falls and I extend my right hand out to rewind.

Except, she grabs my hand and pushes it down.

"Don't rewind." She whispers sadly. "Don't be afraid of the consequences. Don't be afraid to let life happen."

"I don't want an estranged relationship." I pull my hand back, rubbing at my wrist. The polaroid in my hand becomes clearer. Tiffany's beautiful and genuine smile comes into color. I lift it up, giving it to her. "This is what your happiness looks like. I just want it to stay that way."

"Taeyeon you--" She has this sour look on her face and it scares me. "You can't keep rewinding time whenever things don't go your way. There are some things you're going to have to accept. Some things just.." She sighs, leaning against an old fridge. "..There are just some things that need to happen." She lifts the polaroid up, staring at herself. "This is what happiness looks like?"

I nod.

"Well, where's your picture of happiness?"

"I have a bunch of selfies back at the dorm." I lift one side of my mouth up. "If that's what you're talking about." She brushes against me, searching my side bag. She takes out my polaroid camera and takes a few steps back. She brings the camera up to her face, where she squints to focus. I stand there holding my wrist awkwardly. I force a smile.

I waited for a while, but she stands up, evidently frowning. "You look..uncomfortable."

"You can't force happiness, I guess." I rub at my neck this time, eyeing Tiffany carefully. This day has been a first in many ways. Tiffany knowing my power has gone better than I've ever expected. I had hope. Was this the correct timeline?

I wonder what she felt. The first time we met was in the bathroom in the original timeline. I wasn't able to save her back then, but that's when I received my new power..

I experimented with it and I just knew this power had to be used to save people. I'd gone back so many times to save her..at first, I thought I did a good job. I saved her and shortly after, we became friends. Then things started getting complicated. The storm from my dreams kept coming back. Tiffany kept..dying..

I have been in love with her for the longest time and it hurt everyday to see her as if all the memories I carry over each timeline was nothing. I figured she fell in love with what I did, not with me, but eventually, she proved me wrong over a few timelines.

And today, she did the same thing.

She marches toward me, my camera in her right hand. She looks pretty angry, and I stand there petrified. She grabs my face with her left hand and kisses me.

My eyes widen for a second and I freeze before I feel her tilting her head, pushing her lips harder onto mine. I close my eyes, living the moment for the first time in forever..

She pinches my cheek and abruptly leans back. Just as I open my eyes, I'm swallowed by a flash of light.

Tiffany laughs, wiping the edge of her lips with her sleeve. "I got cha!" She lifts the camera up triumphantly, with a proud smile on her face. She looks at my right hand and points at it. "Don't you dare rewind for another kiss."

My lips quiver and I squeeze my hand shut. "Why are you so.." Different, I wanted to say. But it didn't come out.

I must have stood there completely frozen for a solid minute, because Tiffany eventually begins to worry. "I didn't actually think you'd get mad.."

"Huh? No I'm not..mad. Quite opposite really. Uhm, wowser. I guess I'm just.." I look my hand and grin. "I'm sorry." I extend my right hand out and focus before she can say anything else.

----She marches toward me, my camera in her right hand. She looks pretty angry, and I stand there petrified. She grabs my face with her left hand and kisses me.

This time I cup her cheeks, closing my eyes, and push myself closer. I could feel her slightly shake before relaxing.

She pulls back, lifts the camera up, and quickly snaps a photo of me.

"..Didn't think you'd actually.." She's lost for words, mumbling some incoherent phrases. She passes the camera back to me, but holds the developing polaroid in her hands. I turn around and squint at the sunlight blinding me. "Let's go back."

She doesn't say anything and follows me back to her truck.

Just before I get in her car, she hands me the fully colored polaroid.

I look calm, my eyelids open halfway as if I was just awoken from a deep slumber. My lips are curled upward and my brown eyes are focused with the camera.

"This." She says." "This is what happiness looks like. A little sleepy looking, but still cute, you pretty thing, you."

X X X

We make it back to our dormitory and this time, I let Tiffany in my room. There's some commotion out in the hallways, but we do our best to ignore it.

I pull out all the polaroids out of my bag, spilling them out on my computer desk. Tiffany gasps when she sees a particular one, and picks it up.

"...No way!" She nearly shouts, clenching the picture in her hands. "This is..from the bathroom, isn't it?" She flips the photo over and shows me the photo I take everytime I rewind.

It was the reason I was in the bathroom in the first place. I think back to the original timeline, feeling as if it was ages ago. I remember this day clearly. It was when everything changed.

I had been washing my face, completely embarrassed about something in class when I see a blue butterfly float inside the bathroom. I remember following it, watching it land on the metal bucket on the floor in the janitor's little corner. I kneel down and take a picture of it before Nathan walks in. That's what usually happens, anyway.

"..Yeah, it is." I confess, leaning back onto my bed. "I took it right before Nathan went into the bathroom and saved you."

"Wowser." She laughs, jumping onto my bed. "Well! Since I gave you that lovely photo of your happy face, I'm going to take this in return. Deal?"

I mumble. "Go for it." I watch the photo disappear into her pockets. Eventually she calms down and finds something else to invest her interest in. I focus on organizing the photos. I tend to organize them depending on which one I take first. 

"You mind if I play some music?" Tiffany says, her hand on top of my speaker.

"Go for it." I repeat again. She pushes it on and listens to the first couple beats of the song before skipping next. After a few tries, she pauses at a song that starts off nice and lets go. "Are you ready for the mosh pit, shaka brah?"

"You're crazy." I mumble, watching her dance on top of my bed. The long loose tassels on her shirt flip around as she moves with the music, doing some crazy moves. I can't help but laugh. Instead, I take my camera and snap another photo. Just as the lights go off, Seohyun enters my room.

"Oh." She nervously smirks. "Guess there's a party I'm not invited to here."

"What are you talking about? Come here!" Tiffany pulls Seohyun on top of my bed and the two of them dance barefoot on my mattress. I don't particularly mind, as long as they don't step on my Peas-In-A-Pod plushie.

There was so much happiness in the room, but my camera could only frame so much. "Hey hey." I turn the music down a little. "Let's all calm down for a few seconds and snap a photo together." I get them off my bed and order them to sit down. Seohyun and I sit on both sides of Tiffany, with her on the right and me on the left.

"Errr..let me get my little tri-pod." I say, searching my closet for the picture timer was well. After positioning the two carefully, I tell Seohyun and Tiffany to get ready. I press the photo and the light flashes. My camera works as it produces a film.

As we eagerly wait for the photo to come into light, the commotion and yelling outside intensifies.

"Where's that viral Seohyun at?" One of the girls in the hallway says out loud. At first, I pretend not to hear it, but from the corner of my eye, I can see Seohyun's face growing dim. "I want her autograph." The girl says sarcastically. Taeyeon can't make out who's voice it is.

The three of them hear knocking across the hall, supposedly on Seohyun's door specifically.

"Oh gosh, she's not answering. It's like she's tone deaf. Or dead, or whattheever." Tiffany and I look at each other for a few seconds, before focusing on the younger girl hiding beside us. Every single word made her seem smaller and smaller.

"Let's leave a friendly note on her slate, girls." Laughter. Some nasty words. Then, silence.

Tiffany whispers, wrapping her arm around Seohyun. "What's going on?"

"...It's nothing. It's just Victoria and her stupid friends bullying me.." She sighs, nearly pushing Tiffany's comforting arm away.

"Bullying you about what?"

"..There's this stupid rumor going around that I'm involved with one of the Vortex Club members. It's so stupid..and there's a video of me apparently at one of their clubs..but it's not me. I swear." She's nearly in tears now. "I'm not that type of girl to party hard like that."

"Hold on.." I try to get her to pause before she nearly cries. "So..you weren't at the party?"

"No I--" Her lips quiver as she pulls up her sleeve. "I was, but there's a video of me..doing stuff I'd never do. I don't remember any of it."

"How long ago was this?"

"..The party was a couple nights ago. But someone posted the video today." Her face darkens and she curls into a little ball. "..I'm not like that, I swear."

"Psh, don't worry about them, Seohyun." Tiffany pats her friend in the back, rubbing it afterwards. "They're all stupid idiots. Besides, the video can't be that bad."

I remove myself from the two and look outside the window. I try to spot a blue butterfly.

But I can't.


Many of you said that Seohyun doesn't act like herself in this story. Well there's a reason to it. You'll find out in the next chapter, hopefully.

Also, just to clear it up. I know Life is Strange only has Five Episodes. But I would like to clarify that this story will be much longer.