Dark Room

Life is Strange

"You shouldn't get too close to the Vortex Club members." Taeyeon whispers to Tiffany carefully across the table, eyeing Victoria Chase with an intense glare. "Especially Nathan Prescott. He's up to something, I just know it. But I didn't get to learn his secrets before I had to rewind again.."

"How many times have you rewinded for me?" She blinked, then lifted up her brows. "I want to know."

"Err..I lost count." She lies. The girl immediately shoots another question at Taeyeon, having been expecting her answer.

"How have I..died?" This timeline's Tiffany must have been the most curious of all. But Taeyeon liked it that way. She just hoped curiosity wouldn't kill the girl..again. Taeyeon contemplated on whether or not she should tell her, before realizing if her reaction was too bad she could always rewind.

"Let's see..the first couple times you were shot by Nathan...the next time, we were at the junkyard and you got stuck on the railroad tracks and got hit by the train..you were stabbed by a drug dealer..kidnapped and murdered..you were killed in a freak storm.." Taeyeon's eyes never left Tiffany's face. She watched for any negative expressions, or anything that would make her want to rewind. Instead, the girl slowly nodded before looking away.

She says softly. "And you save me each time.."

"This has been.." Taeyeon tries to recall the markings back in the bedroom. "..I forget how many times."

"Do you regret it all?"

"What?"

She looks at Taeyeon, a little teary eyed. "I bet you're thinking, why did I have to fall in love with such a troublesome girl?" Tiffany laughs, her voice drifting uneasily at the end.

"I fell in love with you. I don't regret that."

The girl giggles again and mumbles, "Stupid Super TaeTae." She fixes her posture and leans back. "So, you never explained your power to me."

"I mean..what's there to explain?" The shy girl mutters. "I can only rewind so far. I can't just go back in time in the 1800's."

"Then clarify!" Tiffany smiles, grabbing Taeyeon's right hand. "I just know when you hold out your hand, it happens right?"

Taeyeon nods and begins to explain.

By holding out her right hand, Taeyeon can reverse time in short lapses, though it was limited how far back she can go. This ability allows her to teleport. Her body would remain where ever she was as she rewinded but not where she was in the original timeline. The girl was careful in using this ability and only used it if absolutely necessary. Rewinding hurt her head and gave her terrible nosebleeds.

"Woah, no way? How does it feel?" Tiffany continues rubbing at Taeyeon's pale hand, massaging her palm gently.

"It feels like someone grabbing your head and squeezing it as hard as they can. It's not a headache..it's worse. It's actual, physical pain. Like someone hitting me with a brick. It's not fun and I've lost consciousness from the pain before."

"I'm sorry." The black haired beauty let go of her hand. "I just feel..guilty..that you went through all this just for me. It's..scary..to think someone loves me that much." Tiffany pauses, thinking about what Taeyeon had just explained. "Wait, you said you can't go that far back into time, like, if you were to rewind right now, you could only go back like..ten..twenty minutes, right?"

Taeyeon nods.

"But you told me that you keep rewinding back into the time in the bathroom. How's that possible? It's been a couple days."

"Oh right. I guess I have another power I forgot to mention." She digs through her backpack, pulling out her instant camera and a bunch of photos. "I don't know what to call it..but whenever I focus on a photo that I've taken before or was in..I can warp back into the time the photo was taken. Of course, I can't just pick a photo from the internet and time travel that far..again..it has it's limitations.."

Tiffany jerks back, grinning madly. "Wait..back in Mr. Jefferson's class, you took a selfie in the middle of class and he got mad at you!"

"Yeah.." Taeyeon softly laughs. "I warp back into that photo."

"Wowsers." The girl leans back again, crossing her arms. "Selfies save lives."

"With that selfie I took, I've rewinded countless times..and I run to the bathroom every time to save you."

"How romantic."

"How tiring." Taeyeon grins. "I never run."

Tiffany looks around their classroom. Class didn't start for another ten minutes or so, and the class was fairly empty. She squishes Taeyeon's soft cheeks between her palms and leans over the table, connecting their lips for a few seconds.

"For luck." She whispers, parting their lips.

X X X

Class was boring as usual. As much as Taeyeon admired Mr. Jefferson, she grew bored listening to the same lecture every time she went back in time. Instead, she spent the class time reevaluating her actions, wondering again, if this was the correct timeline.

But why did it snow the first day I saved her? She thought. Whenever it snows, the storm always comes. This can't be the correct timeline, I'm doing something wrong again. Everyone is going to die again.

What is the correct timeline? Is there even such a thing? Is there a timeline out there where Tiffany and I can live happily ever after, Arcadia Bay safe, and the storm never happens?

Or did one of the three have to happen?

Of course, Taeyeon tried to solve all the problems at once. She tried to save Tiffany and attempted to tell the town about the future storm her nightmares keep showing her. Of course, evacuating nearly five thousand people in five days was nearly impossible, especially since no one really believed her.

She spent most of the class time thinking about the past, present, and future.

X X X

"Geez, what's taking her so long?" Tiffany groans, repositioning her bag. "This bag is getting heavier and heavier every second."

"Should we head inside? I mean, the bell did ring a long time ago."

"Ugh, if she's not out within three minutes, I'm leaving he--" Just as Tiffany complains, Seohyun swings open the door. "There you are! What took you so..." Tiffany drifts off.

Seohyun looked....terrible. Her eyeliner was smudged and it was evident she had been crying. was red and freshly wounded. Had she been scratching herself?

Her chapped lips, dull eyes, and furrowed eyebrows showed she was far from happy. Her hair was wrapped messily in a bun in which she stuffed in a black beanie.

"Hey, Tiff. Sorry, you didn't have to wait for me.."

"No it's--" Taeyeon and Tiffany glance at each other for a quick second. "It's fine. What's uhm.."

"Are you okay?" The time traveler asks.

"Yes. Sure." Seohyun sighs, her hand reaching up to scratch her neck again. "I'm obviously okay."

"I didn't mean to.." A couple of girls exit the adjacent classroom, their laughter echoing down the hallway. It was Victoria and her little minions. Seohyun's face darkens, and her eyes twitch with tears.

"Oh look. It's the viral , Seohyun." Victoria stops, her friends laughing along behind her. "Did you like our gift?"

"You guys.." She's a few words away from crying. Taeyeon notices how hard she clenches her purse.

"Of course you did. Since you're such a , only you deserve the gifts. No need to thank me." Victoria pulls out her phone. Lights flash on all three of them. "There. We have another photo we're going to post online to show how happy you are. Now, go your selfie." She walks off, her annoying voice filling their ears.

Before Taeyeon could react, Seohyun bursts out crying, dropping her books onto the floor. The loud sound wraps itself around Taeyeon's head, sending her into another vision.

Rain. Sadness. A crowd. Up above..falling..

Taeyeon groans in pain, dropping to the floor. She watches time get slower as Seohyun runs off down the hallway. She feels Tiffany's hand on her shoulder, and she's yelling some words. 

"Run..after her.." She manages to say in between breaths. "I'll be..fine.." Warm liquid begins pouring out of her nose. It's blood.

"No way. You're nosebleeding again. Your powers, they're hurting you Taeyeon."

Her head pounds and more blood comes out. She can barely make out with the world around her. It's as if the universe was melting all around her..

She feels herself being lifted up and she remembers hazily walking through the hallways. Every time she closes her eyes, she wakes up somewhere else. Eventually, she fell asleep and woke up in her bed back at the dormitories.

There's a note beside her bed from Tiffany. "Once you're awake, come by my room. We need to talk about Seohyun and your health ASAP! - Tiffany."

She checks the clock hanging nearby her laptop and recognizes the four digits. It was late at night, though she was sure the girl was still awake. Taeyeon washes up and redresses before knocking on Tiffany's door.

"Tiff? It's Taeyeon."

There's no answer.

"Hello? Super Taeyeon here."

"It's unlocked, come in." She answers.

Tiffany's room was dimly lit but smelled very flowery. Though it was fairly organized, there were empty boxes of tissues scattered on the floor. "What's going on?" Taeyeon asks quietly.

"Seohyun was in here a while ago, but she's asleep now. She's really.." Tiffany frowns, looking irritated. "It's those stupid Vortex Club members. They've been harassing Seohyun on and off for the past couple weeks. It's only intensified after the video of her making out with a bunch of guys at one of the Vortex Clubs was posted."

", that really happened huh?"

"Yeah, but that's not all. Victoria has been abusing her. She went into Seohyun's room this morning and put dirty in Seohyun's bag! The poor girl had to clean out used sanitary equipment and male..things.."

"Why are they doing this?"

Tiffany shrugs. "I don't know why mean people do mean things. But it's pushed Seohyun to the limit..Her parents found out about the video. We were talking earlier, and I think.." She lowers her voice, gesturing Taeyeon to come closer. "I think Seohyun was drugged at the party, Taeyeon."

"..Damn. If only I could rewind that far back into time.." She sighs. "Unfortunately, the party was weeks before the bathroom incident."

"There's nothing you can do?" Tiffany asks, a little disappointed.

"Not with my power. No. Besides, I think it's starting to catch up to me.." Taeyeon rubs her temples. "Rewinding hurts, Tiffany."

"I know." She stands up, pushing the both of them to the couch where she hugs the smaller girl tightly. "I'm sorry."

Taeyeon kisses the top of Tiffany's head softly, before ruffling around her hair. "It's not your fault, unfortunately, life begins after Nathan tried shooting you in the bathroom. Other than that, I can't rewind that far back into time."

"If only I can rewind and slap my past self, I'd totally beat her up." She giggles, resting her head on Taeyeon's chest. "I hope Seohyun is okay. She's really depressed. Has this happened in the other timelines?"

"No. I mean. Yeah, kind of. But not as intense as this." She sighs. "I don't know, this timeline has been a first in many cases. I don't really know what to expect."

"..I just hope she's going to be okay."

"..She will be." Taeyeon pauses. "I hope she will."

X X X

Seohyun wasn't at school the next day, or the next day after that. Taeyeon kept an eye on the weather, knowing it meant certain doom after a few signs. Snow was the first one. Two moons was the next. But it hadn't shown yet. Instead, it was a rainy, gloomy day in Arcadia Bay.

Mr. Jefferson was going on and on about his lecture, but something surprised Taeyeon. He didn't do his normal lectures as he usually did that Wednesday. Instead, he went on talking about The Butterfly Effect.

"The Butterfly Effect refers to a concept where small causes can have large effects. Initially, it was used in science as a metaphor to predict weather. It's also become a saying as well. A butterfly's wings can influence a hurricane..or..something like that." Mr. Jefferson chuckles. "I'm not the science teacher here, you'll have to ask Ms. Grant for that. Anyways, I'm bringing it up today because I believe it can relate to photography.."

Just then, a student barges into the classroom. "YO! SOME CRAZY IS GOING DOWN AT THE GIRL'S DORM! CHECK IT OUT!" Everybody jumps up, dashing towards the door. Mr. Jefferson tries to get the students to sit back down, but his words fall on deaf ears.

Taeyeon and Tiffany run to the dormitories, breezing with the crowd. Eventually, they begin to slow down and catch their breaths. Though they can't see what was happening, they could hear the serious tones in everyone's voices.

" flipped out!" One of the Vortex Club members yelled.

"I didn't think she was that bad.." Courtney, one of Victoria's minions gossiped. Taeyeon rushes to the front and finds Seohyun standing on the rooftop, a foot away from falling down.

She felt her heart stop when she saw how incredibly high up the girl was. From that height, dropping would be deadly..

Screams started to escalate when Seohyun leans forward. Tiffany shouts behind her. "NO--" Taeyeon could hear the splatter of her body smashing against the concrete floor.

Taeyeon lifts her right hand up without hesitation and rewinds. She watches as Seohyun floats back on top of the roof and releases her hand. A few moments later, Seohyun leans forward again, and drops to her death.

"No.." Taeyeon lifts her hand up and rewinds. Just as she does so, a harsh rush of pain squeezes her head. She's nosebleeding again.

Screams started to escalate when Seohyun leans forward. Tiffany shouts behind her. "NO--" Once again, she rewinds time again.

No matter what I do..I'm not..fast enough.. She grips her head with one hand, and wipes her nose with another. I can't keep..rewinding..it hurts..

Taeyeon could hear the splatter of her body smashing against the concrete floor.

I have to...save..her..

She clenches her hand and rewinds. Seohyun is back on the top of the roof again, but this time, it's a little different.

Everything stops.

Drops of rain are held mid air, a bird in flight, stiff out in the open, Nathan's sadistic face of horror, Victoria's hand pressed against her phone as she records a video. Tiffany's mouth and eyes opened in fear.

Taeyeon looks around before realizing..

"I've..completely stopped time.." Her body twitches violently as she begins to spit out blood. As ironic was it sounded, Taeyeon didn't have any time to waste. She powers herself through the crowd, watching David Madsen, the head of security at Blackwell, dashing towards the stairs. She passes by him, examining his adrenaline pumped expression before walking towards the stairs.

Eventually, she makes it towards the roof, relieved yet scared to see Seohyun standing so close to the edge. She lets go of her hand and time resumes. The rain continues to pour, just like her bloody nose.

She attempts to rewind, but her body rejects it. Taeyeon groans out in pain, coughing up blood in the process. It..won't work..I can't..rewind..

Seohyun turns around, her teary, tired face angry at the sound of Taeyeon behind her. "What are you doing here, Taeyeon?"

I can't rewind..Taeyeon thinks. I have to do this on my own..

"Did you come to get another picture like Victoria, Taeyeon?" Seohyun spits out, in her sarcastic, sad tone.

"No! Of course not..I'm your friend, Seohyun. I just want to help you--"

"That's what they all ing said! They just want to help me! I let Nathan Prescott help me during the Vortex Club, and look what happened! He's got my face all plastered on the internet, my name and family completely ruined!" She cries. "I won't pose for your ing picture, Taeyeon."

"Please, Seohyun. You know me better than that...and I know you don't want to jump."

"You don't know anything! I want to jump..My life is already over.."

"Your life is still yours, Seohyun, And we can get through this together. Let me help.."

"No matter what you do..you can't help me.." She sobs. "No wonder the internet is called a web. Once you're in it, you can never get out. Like my video.."

"There'll be another viral video tomorrow, and people will forget about you soon!"

"So that's it? You just want someone else to suffer in my place?"

"No.." Taeyeon tries to step forward, but Seohyun takes a step back. "Seohyun..please don't..I can help you.."

"Really? Because I don't believe in miracles anymore, Taeyeon. You were my friend before, but now, you're just like the rest of them."

"That's not true. I want to help you--"

"You keep saying that! Where were you when I was crying in my room, skipping school, trying to erase all the links to the video?! Why didn't you defend me when Victoria was bullying me in the hallway?"

"Tiffany and I were trying to get proof that Nathan drugged you at the party! Believe me, Seohyun, we're doing the best we can.."

"Not enough. Because now everyone in the town thinks I'm a huge . My family won't even answer my calls anymore..Taeyeon, I'm the only child..do you know how painful that is? I'm completely alone.."

"No!" She takes another step forward, extending her right hand. "You can come down and together, we can take out Nathan, Victoria..everyone who's making you suffer!"

"I don't care about them anymore. I just want the suffering to stop."

"Your parents love you Seohyun.." Her face furrows into anger.

"NO! YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT ME! I already told you that they don't care! NOBODY CARES! You never listen, because you don't give a damn! You will now!"

Seohyun turns around, her back facing Taeyeon.

Taeyeon runs forward, reaching out to her friend. But she's too late. Seohyun jumps off the roof and begins to fall down.

Screams begin to escalate.

And Taeyeon could hear the splatter of her body smashing against the concrete floor.



Aww..Seohyun..

I know her bullying was a little too rushed, but I just figured out the ending for this story and I want to finish it as soon as possible. For those who've played the game, BAE or BAY?

Neither.