Pictures of Family

Click!

Pictures of Family

JB had finally finished work with the closing of Dancheong event and breathes out when he locks the gallery. Chang Woo had invited him to have dinner. Usually he would gladly sit down because free food is always a plus. But he promised her today that he’ll meet her by the park, just near the grocery store they reunited.

JB entered the bus and smiled brightly to his new polaroid. The double pay actually redeems enough money to buy the lovely camera and he just needs a fixation to snap his first picture. Although he would have thought to take a picture of Seung Ah, somehow, the no labels on their connection would be redefined by a picture and seems to set it all wrong. When that happens it will scare Seung Ah. He just wants to be with her thus he stayed out of his way. He kept his first film in his back.

He exited the bus and he sees her, smiling brightly at him. Like she wasn’t married, like he was still in high school, like when it was the time no one questioned them. She took his arms and kissed his cheeks. “Ready to go?”

“Yeah.”

If it was before, he would call this a very cute date, with a few street food and feeding each other. But he relied his consciousness to not talk about it being a date. He is just content being with her. Sure, her husband is out of town and it makes her lonely, but he would accompany her anyhow regardless of the reasoning of their meaning.

He knows, to strangers they look like a very happy couple. He ignored that it was eating him inside. When she laughs at his incompetency to eat like a grown up, he smiled too. When she compliments him for his thoughts and caressed his cheeks, he is happy.

This is enough, he told himself.

They went back to her apartment and she asked for a hug. So he did.

“I want you, Jaebum.” She whispered and he just holds her. Because he wants her too. He’s addicted to her. He holds her as he kissed her. Clothes are off and he holds her as she looks into his eyes, pulling him flush on her. He holds her until she breathes out in her final , and holds her again till she is asleep.

This is enough, he thought again. It should be enough.

He went into the shower, a habit he was grown into, just to wash off. He silenced himself under the shower. It felt cheap, a thought said and he pushed it away. It felt like she used you, another thought said and he pushed it away. It’s enough, it should be enough.

He took the shampoo and cleans his hair, he closed his eyes firmly to just push all those negative thoughts away. This is enough.

Morning comes in and JB just shakes his head, killing the headache he has. He looks beside him, seeing her lovely hands holding his torso. Seung Ah is a dead sleeper. He looks at her and sighed.

It was a dream to be holding her and he knew how pathetic that sounded. He traces her cheeks and she shivered a little. He didn’t mean to fall for her, she was his good teacher, who he shouldn't have fallen for, but he did and he couldn’t pull away. He heard her phone going off and he sees her husband’s smirk on the screen.

That is when he decided he needs to head out. It is a Saturday and he has appointments. He took his clothes and ruffled his hair. He decided to call in Jung Chang Woo and see if he can join him for breakfast. The Jung’s usually have American breakfast which he dislikes but his money is out for the new camera he bought.

“I’m going out with Sooyeon but feel free to raid the fridge.” Was what the message said. JB smiled. That ahjussi really gives him a lot of freedom in their home.

He walks by and a red tinge caught his eyes. He looks at the mirror, something is wrong. His hair is all messed up.

Seung Ah wakes up behind him, seeing him looking weirdly at the mirror. “Yah, Jaebum, you didn’t use my shampoo did you?”

His hair is red.


It is morning. THE morning. Krystal looks at her reflection and sighed. Today her family will meet up with Jessica’s boyfriend, Minjun’s family. Krystal tried everything to avoid it but the fact her father have ruled her into not attending any modeling jobs for a week; which still makes her sulk, she didn’t have much choice. She tried to talk to Jessica, but her lack of conversational skills makes it really hard to start.

She’s worried about her own reaction on the meeting. She might have been trained to have the best poker face but in front of her family, she’s rather weak in it. She looks into a picture beside her bed, and sees herself with Jessica and their father. Jessica is always there and she always know someday she won’t be. She didn’t expect it to be this sudden.

She wanted to blame Minjun, but seriously, anyone who meets the guy could never hate the guy. Somehow, Krystal feels like she could blame no one but herself for being this weak.

Her father and Jessica have gone to pick up the flowers for Minjun’s mom. Krystal goes to the kitchen for her breakfast and she sees a guy in a cap in front of her fridge. Of course. Saturday morning and JB is raking through her refrigerator. Somehow not only JB have full access around the gallery, he also have full access to their home. She questions her father’s fascination on JB. She knows how her father owed a lot to JB’s father but to even let the guy loiter around their house, she never understand that.

The JB she remembered when she was younger was a rather cool guy in Ilsan. They never said more than a hello or goodbye. Because Krystal is still the girl hiding behind Jessica at the time and the JB she sees is rather an acquaintance. A year ago, he dropped by the gallery and her father basically gave him a job as errand boy. She didn’t exactly remember what happened, but their personalities clashed and they just start bickering ever since.

She did sort of connect with him when he sends her for her graduation picture, but long after that, she thought she might have been crazy to even think that.

“It’s Saturday morning. What are you doing here?” Krystal looks at him annoyingly. Though she noticed something have changed on him.

“I’m hungry and I don’t really have food in my apartment. I asked your dad if I can join you guys for breakfast. He said he’s heading out but have fun raiding the fridge.” JB smiled widely as he took the milk.

 “Seriously why don’t you just pack your bags and move here?” Krystal said sarcastically as she pushed him to take the milk. “You’re a stranger and somehow every time we do groceries, it is for four person.”

“Your dad actually likes me, it is kind of weird that you don’t just genetically like me.” JB said. “But living here actually limits my ‘activities’ so I’ll pass.” He winks.

“Really, when are you going to stop making dirty connotations on regular words?” Krystal sat and puts the cereal in her bowl. She slowly puts blueberries and strawberries in it when she heard a camera’s click. She looks up to JB holding up a polaroid camera. “What are you doing?”

JB took the finished picture while flapping it. “First polaroid. The documentary of Jung Soojung eating such girly food.” He laughed. He sees the picture appearing and handed it to Krystal. “This is for you. Thanks to you, I got paid a lot this week and this is my new baby.”

“You spend all that babysitting money on a camera?” Krystal took the picture. Honestly, she liked it, but never would she admit it to JB.

“THE camera.” JB asserted as he sat in front of Krystal. “This polaroid is actually an antique but works better than DSLR.” He took his own bowl and had some cereal himself. “Your Americanized breakfast is somewhat fascinating.” He poured milk.

“Says the person wearing a lot of New York Supreme clothing.” Then Krystal noticed his hair under his cap. She took the cap away, revealing his read hair. “Aww you go all girly red head.” Then she noticed his 3 missing earrings. “And you cut down the grunge earrings too. What happened to you?”

JB rolled his eyes as he snatched his cap back. “You make it sound like I changed a lot.”

“Well, blonde to red is pretty drastic. Only idols do that.” Krystal laughed. “Or weirdos.”

“I don’t really care all that much about hair.” JB ignored her insults.

“That is true.” Krystal surprised JB with her agreeing to him. “When you had blonde hair your black roots are ugly as hell.” Of course, she would slip in an insult. She looks at his hair. “Let me guess, you used color shampoo?”

“Okay, I accidentally took the wrong shampoo in a girl’s place. Now I have red hair. Happy?” JB admitted embarrassingly. Krystal laughed to this. “Can we please stop talking about my hair?”

“Okay.” Krystal tried to hide her smile. “So did you left the earrings too?”

“I did.” JB said and that makes Krystal laugh again.

“Seriously, don’t you ever get tired being a Casanova. I mean I understand that younger men nowadays prefers older women for obvious reasoning. But don’t you just want to settle down on one relationship?” Krystal is genuinely curious.

“I do want to settle down.” JB said. Krystal looked at him. “But really to find the right one, you need to at least test these things.”

“You’re disgusting.” Krystal scrunched her nose.

“You know what, I’m not that promiscuous.” JB immediately receive a glare from Krystal. “I am not. Yesterday, obviously I spend the night but I knew that girl since high school. We are both open with the no label thing. But I don’t exactly sleep with everyone I flirt with. Your dad will kill me if I did.”

“Because it will cost him customers?” Krystal offered.

“Because it will cost him customers.” JB laughed which pulls a smile out of her.

“He’s really using you to get customers in.” Krystal remembered the Instagram post that her father posted. “Don’t you feel your ego bruised for that?”

“Women like me, what’s not to like about that?” JB joked. “Well, sometimes your dad can be a little extreme, but out of all the weird men out there, he actually does things that works a lot better than the conventional method. Who knew photographs of Dancheong could be a hit.” Krystal though that is true.

“That piece from that photographer, Hwang Chansung was flawless.” Krystal pointed out.

“It was fine. The piece from Im Suk Je, that is something else.” JB said and he already sees Krystal wanting to argue. “Before you say anything, Im Suk Je is a legend.”

“His piece was great but hardly original. He has a good eye obviously but this is modern day, which emphasize on minimalist.” Krystal puts her feet on the ground. “You’re just bias because he already has his name up front.”

“And you like Hwang Chansung because he looks cute.” JB pointed out.

With that, they ended up debating on which piece was the best, which she rarely do with others besides Jessica, which he rarely do with anyone because his friends don’t exactly share the same interest.

Somehow, Krystal thought that having JB around that morning wasn’t such a bad idea. She brushed it off. It must be the calm before storm.

JB is just glad Krystal pulled him away from his overthinking of his affair with a married woman.


JB went to campus and he stopped as he sees his reflection on someone’s car. “Aish, stupid color shampoo.” It is true that he didn’t care much about his hair but the drastic change somehow just irks him. He entered the building and flashed his ID. It is a Saturday and there was no classes, but he have an appointment.

He looked around as he sat down in the campus’ park. He is the first to arrive, as always. He sits on the bench and thought about how the people in this campus are actually quite afraid of him. Sure his face can come off a bit cold but not to the point of being scary. People who knows actually thinks he’s okay. Even Krystal who makes insulting him as her daily routine thinks he’s a free person.

“Hyung!” He looked back and sees 6 other guys waving at him. Now to the people in campus; he is a cold person, to his friends in campus; he’s their friend, to the Jung’s; he’s the errand/adopted boy. To these 6 people, he is the cool hyung. The label makes him proud although it is hard to grasp and sometimes embarrassing.

It starts with Jinyoung, the serene guy who JB had known the longest, a trustworthy dongsaeng to him. There is Mark who is his age, quiet as a mouse, but as he gets excited, his high pitch laugh is everywhere. Jackson, the mood maker, the fun guy, who practically runs everywhere with a friendly aura. Then there is Youngjae, who have that youthful vibe on him. The maknaes now, there is first Bambam, who is small, the cute type and then the last one, Yugyeom who is entirely mischievous but innocent as the maknae

They are a weird combination group of friends but outside of work, outside of campus, they are his best brothers. Somehow in the middle of Summer in 2009, he met with Jinyoung through a part time job and as different they are, they have more similarities. Afterwards, their duo group evolved and now the seven of them became this circle of friends that hangs out every Saturday.

“Why are we at campus?” Youngjae asked. “This is not another intervention for me is it?”

“There are more interventions but not right now.” JB joked as he smirks. “Jinyoungie here is finally graduating and this is his informal ceremony to the world of college.”

“Why aren’t you giving the same ceremony to me?” Jackson whined.

“You’re not Korean.” JB shot him.

“Fair point.” Jackson laughed at this.

“Hyung what’s wrong with your hair?” Yugyeom stared at JB’s red flames on his head.

“Don’t ask.” He really didn’t want to talk about it. It is too embarrassing.

“I just did.” Yugyeom said.

“Yah, I already have Soojung insult me for it, I don’t need you to comment on it for sure.” JB warned Yugyeom who only laughed.

“I don’t get you hyung. You basically see a top model on daily basis but you fight with her all the time.” Jackson puts his arm around JB. “You’re not human.”

JB pushed Jackson away. “Yah, if you are talking about Soojung, she’s not that chic in real life.”

“Hyung, have you really look at Krystal-noona?” Bambam said. “She’s like really pretty! How can you not see that?!” JB is just annoyed that Bambam calls a person he never met in real life as noona.

“Yah, this guy only goes for older women.” Mark pointed out which gets him a satisfied nod from JB. “Or teachers.” That made JB pulled Mark into a headlock. Seriously whenever Mark opens his mouth, he goes big.

“Yah, do you need to say that? Do you want to die?” JB tightened his hold and Mark apologized laughing. Though JB knows underneath all of that, JB is still very much all about that teacher and the only one that did know about this is only Jinyoung who watched JB in silence. It was Jinyoung that sat beside JB when he made a decision to revolt any kind of rationality and move into an affair with a married teacher.

“Jinyoungie.” JB called the younger one and motioned him to come near him. “How does it feel to finally entering the adult side?” JB puts his arms around Jinyoung.

“I am just glad to not be on the maknae team anymore.” Jinyoung joked which received boos from both Bambam and Yugyeom. “I’m not sure I wanted to go to the same college as you though, hyung.” Jinyoung received a kick from JB.

“This is not a promotion for my college. This is actually just an opening act into college life.” JB said as he pulled his camera around his neck to pull the plastic full of beers. “Let’s play like a college student today.”

“What about us 3?” Youngjae asked.

“You can have some cola.” JB said as he pulled a few Coke bottles and the three maknaes whined.


Awkward.

That is Krystal when she sat right in front of Kim Minjun’s family. Sure Minjun’s mum is nice as hell, and her brother is too cute with his shyness and Minjun seemed to be very eager to make a good impression to her dad, but Krystal is serene in her own silence. It is very hard to hate the Kim’s family. They weren’t oddballs nice, but they are just pleasant to be around.

“I am very sorry for our Minjun’s lacking. He seemed pretty adamant that music can pay the bills.” The mother laughed a bit and Minjun is flustered.

“It actually did pay the bills for a whole 5 years, omma.” Minjun nudged his mom. Krystal looked at Minjun. Is that how it feels to have a mother? She thought about it. Jessica is almost 12 when their mother left but she did experience having a mother while Krystal have almost zero memories of their mother.

“But you are going to have your own family. Trust me, your late father thought his business was enough when we got married but after you and your brother show up, it is never enough.” Minjun’s mother smiled brightly while Minjun just sank in his chair further. Krystal sees this foreign situation in front of her. It seems like a backwards version of what she thought a mom would do. She thought a mother would certainly compliment their children in front of others, boast about them but Minjun’s mother seems adamant to drop his image off.

“I understand the concern. But trust me, compared to him, when I was his age I couldn’t even give my wife a good dinner on our anniversary.” This statement made both Jessica and Krystal look at their father, who just smiled. They rarely hear him talking about their mother, in fact it is almost unheard of.

Jessica quickly interrupted. “Ommonim, please, tell us more about Minjun when he was younger. He barely mentioned his childhood to me.” Krystal looks at Jessica who is trying hard not to bring the whole ‘mother’ thing up. She is surprised her father is very calm about it.

“Ah, our Minjun, his name used to be Junsu but due to our believe, his father decided to change his name to Minjun. He hates that but look at that, he actually sells a lot of music by that name.” The mother is really superstitious was what Krystal thought. Another thing that strikes her was that Minjun is very obedient to his mom. Not exactly the momma’s boy thing, but he is a very good son. He sees well towards his mom that he would also treat Jessica the same. Krystal chuckled, no matter how much she wanted to hate Minjun, he’s the type of guy you want your sister to be with.

“I don’t mean to be nosy, but may I know what happened to your wife?” It is here, the question is here. Krystal looked down and peaked to see Jessica froze. Minjun nudged his mother but somehow, the woman she is needs confirmation on things. “We are to be a family, I think at least we should know.”

“I don’t see why not.” Jung Chang Woo smiled brightly. “My wife basically left the three of us when Sooyeon is 12. I guess she had enough of marriage life, maybe it was because I wasn’t enough, I don’t know really.” Krystal is very afraid to look up as even hearing it is painful. “But we are enough. My daughters are enough and I would be happy to have my daughter marry to such a wonderful guy like Minjun. You might be a bit much when you are excited, but you’re ok.” Chang Woo patted Jessica’s hand.

“Thank you, abonim.” Minjun stood up and bowed.

It went faster after that as stories after stories from Minjun’s brother Junhyun about their past life brings in laughter. If there is one thing about the Kim’s family is that their bluntness is a charm that makes everyone laugh. Even Krystal laughed at one of the jokes.

Jessica though, she forced a smile throughout lunch and could only be silent on their way home.

“Their family seems nice.” Chang Woo offered but Jessica is still in her silence. “You know, Sooyeon. We can talk about it.”

“Can we just… not.” Jessica sighed and turned her eyes away from her father’s gaze.

Krystal is pretty much confused. She caught her father’s eyes from the rearview mirror, which he smiled sadly.

They arrived home and Jessica simply just went in without looking back.

“Can she not be such a .” Krystal rolled her eyes. She is about to climb out before her father called her.

“Hey.” The older man smiled at his daughter. “I’m off to get some groceries. Behave to your sister, she had a long day.”

Krystal watched her father driving off and she sighed. She knows her father well. Whenever Jung Chang Woo just gets confused, he will excuse himself to be alone and tend to his wounds. Of course, the two daughter’s inability to speak out is from their father.


JB stayed put with his beer as he looked around at the park behind the campus buildings. The maknaes have ditched them as they whined to not be allowed to have the same drink as the older hyungs. Mark and Jackson on the other hand didn’t share the same fascination on college as the Koreans does so they bailed to go skate in the park. JB sat beside Jinyoung who seems to still be in awe of what difference a college campus is to a school.

“How was it?” JB asked.

“Terrifying.” Jinyoung answered while laughing. “I mean I can’t believe this place, or perhaps a college place somewhere would be my life next year. I still don’t know what major should I take but actually looking at a university, it scared me a little.”

“Well, I envy your nerves because when I entered college, I just wanted to get out and just be a photographer. Jung Chang Woo actually gives me a chance to question that irrational thought.” JB sipped his beer. “My dad knew that ahjussi could put in some sense to me. Which is probably why he sent me there.”

Jinyoung watched the older hyung carefully and tried to ask him that one question that has been lingering for some time.

“You really want to ask me right?” JB started first as he made eye contact with Jinyoung. “About Seung Ah noona.”

“Hyung, it is not my business, but when someone gets married, that is a sign you should stop seeing her.” Jinyoung shoots through it. He really hated to see the condition JB is in. Being hung up over an ex is one thing but actually going back to her while she is a married woman. That is wrong in anybody’s book.

JB could only stay quiet as he looked into the blank space in front of him.

“Hyung…”

There is a cut inside JB that is hard to be understood. He is strong but vulnerable. He is mighty but scared. The extremes that pull his inside out is somehow relaxed when he is with Seung Ah. He is addicted to the love she barely gives him. It is pitiful, but he is the one who is living it, so he decides to do what he always does.

“Jinyoung-ah, when I feel like I’m in trouble, I’ll call you.” As always, JB dismissed his dongsaeng. He sees Jinyoung looking conflicted. He patted Jinyoung on the shoulder. “You know I always survive these things.”

“You almost didn’t survive before.” Jinyoung said quickly, only to look down. “You know what I mean.”

JB looked up to the sky. “I am addicted to her. I don’t know how to stop it. She was the first girl I have ever loved. Somehow I just ask, how do you erase that feeling?” He looked back at Jinyoung. “It is either you do or you don’t. Right now, honestly, it feels like if it is not Seung Ah noona, it is not going to be anyone else. That is what it felt like when you’re in too deep.”

“Hyung.” Jinyoung look at JB straight in the eye. “Are you happy?”

JB shakes his head. “I don't know.”

His phone went off and he sees Jung Chang Woo’s name. “Seriously?” He sighed and took the call. “Yes, ahjussi?”


Krystal looked at the empty gallery and remembered her younger self running around when they first entered the place. It was bigger then and she remembered her imagination to put up a lot of paintings and art on the white wall. Her sister would simply catch her when she was off balance. Her father would talk on the phone, apprehensive of the clients coming in. She liked this place, the ‘big playground’ she used to call it, just imaginations running wild.

Honestly, she didn’t mind Minjun marrying Jessica. But it is hard to put herself into Jessica’s new life with Minjun. Jessica acts like she won’t leave her but honestly, things will change, and she have to bear with it.

Krystal covered her face with her palms, just tired of everything. She is confused on how the world works, how she was picked to become a motherless child. She sighed yet for the hundredth times, begging her brain to not hurt so much.

Krystal can relate to Jessica though. She and her sister are too alike. They push people away in the sense of not wanting to have them mixed up in the problems.

“Soojung.” She heard her sister behind her. Jessica looks tired and somehow she may have just cried. “Where’s appa?”

“He went for groceries.” Krystal said as she just sad in the middle of the empty gallery. “So what happened to you today?” She dared to ask.

“Come on, Soojung. We both know you don’t want to talk about it.” Jessica said.

“I want to talk about it.” Krystal looked straight to Jessica’s eyes. “I really do.”

“You walked away during lunch when I basically said we’re having lunch with Minjun oppa’s family.” Jessica pointed out.

“I did but I still want to hear what you think. Honestly, it beats you ignoring me.” Krystal stood up.

“I’m still going to be around.” Jessica said.

“I know that but things will change and I’m saying that it will take me a while to get used too but really, unnie, I’ll be okay. You love Minjun-oppa. He takes care of you the best, cherish you. Why do you need my opinion on it?” Krystal said. “I know I would be jealous of your new family because you’re all that I’ve got, but seriously, I’m a grown up now. I can handle myself.” That is the most honest Krystal is and even she herself gets surprised.

Jessica smiled at Krystal. “I have faith in you, Soojung-ah. I know you can handle yourself. But you sulking is not exactly why I kept quiet today. Well, initially it was but we’re sisters, we get over such things pretty easily.” Jessica sat down on the lounge sofa. “I’m actually very worried about appa.”

“Appa?” Krystal is confused.

“The most precious thing to a man is his wife and he lost that years ago. Children is also precious but the thing about daughters is that fathers will eventually give the daughter’s hand in marriage to another man.” Jessica looked at Krystal sadly. “I love Minjun-oppa, and I want to marry him. But somehow it feels like I’ll be like our mother when I leave him for my own life.” Jessica looked up to Krystal. “You were too young to understand it before but I had to grow up to pull appa back up. Somehow, it feels like I shouldn’t leave him. Not after everything.”

“Unnie. You’re not leaving him forever.” Krystal said. “Why didn’t you share this with me?”

“You were pissed off before and frankly because you just walked away that day, I just can’t seem to bring up anything about it.” Jessica pats Krystal’s hair. She has a point and Krystal wanted to curl up for such bratty attitude. “I may be a mum to you but every girl grows to become one too.” Jessica looks down. “Appa, he only have us. I told him about it before that I would probably never find a guy good enough to make me leave him.”

“But you meet Minjun-oppa.” Krystal said.

“Yeah, and you see him, he’s great. He’s perfect.” Jessica smiled happily and sort of felt guilt for that. “Appa said my happiness comes first, and I just thought, what about his happiness? You know.”

Truthfully, Krystal had known since she was younger that Jessica had more connection to their father than she herself did. Because while Krystal was busy looking for their mother, Jessica was busy taking care of their father. It breaks a little that she didn’t know their father that well, but somehow, maybe Jessica’s marriage would probably pull her closer to her father.

They hear a rustle behind them and they see JB carrying a few bags of groceries with someone they didn’t recognize. “Ah, good, you’re hear. Help us out here.” JB huffed as he struggled to take the bags in. Jessica stood up immediately to help while Krystal followed lazily behind her. “Yah Jung Soojung we don’t have all day.”

“Alright, alright.” Kystal helped pulling taking in the lighter stuff. She sees the stranger quickly bow to her and she nodded.

They put it in the middle of the gallery. JB whined a lot on how he should be paid more for this.

“What is this?” Jessica asked.

“This is some strange Jung Chang Woo’s request. He is still in the car, he’ll be right with us.” JB catches his breath and sees Jinyoung beside him. “Oh yeah, this is Park Jinyoung, a friend of mine. Jinyoungie, this is Sooyeon noona and her bratty sister Soojung. You guys are of the same age so you can be rude to her.” Krystal hits JB’s chest, which surprised Jinyoung. “She hits people a lot too.”

Jessica nodded to Jinyoung before looking at JB. “Our house is up there, why is our groceries down here?”

“Yeah. He said something about camping out in the gallery.” JB looked around in the gallery. “And to think I am in charge of Monday’s clean up, he seriously needs to pay me more.”

Krystal looked at the groceries and most of it are basically snacks. “There is no real food at all.”

“Looking at your breakfast this morning, you barely have real food anyway.” JB said.

“Says the person hogging our food all the time.” Krystal shot him.

They see Jung Chang Woo walking in with a big smile plastered in his face. “Lets camp in the gallery today! I got the old movies in and we’re operating the projector.” Chang Woo sees a new face.

“Oh, this is my friend, Park Jinyoung and we’re looking for food.” JB said which Krystal sneered loudly.

“Oh yes! Hello! You have the same name as that famous singer.” Chang Woo said which received a confused look from all the younger generation. “JYP? You kids don’t know JYP?” Still confused. “Anyway, any friend of Jaebum is our friend. Let’s all have good dinner here!”

“He’s basically your son.” Krystal rolled her eyes.

-

Krystal sat in front of the gallery. Her stomach is stuffed and she would need exercise to fit her body again. Somehow the stressful day had ended great, with her father trying hard to make it all go away. Now she remembers, the way her father had make things better is by sitting together and laugh. She sees her sister talking to their father that she felt that she didn’t need to impose. Thus here she is, watching the empty road.

“Yah.” He hopped and sat beside her. Krystal forced a smile when she looked at him. “What’s with the stuffy grin?”

“It’s natural when you’re around.” Krystal looked back at the road. Krystal remembered that JB have a perfect family, one mother, one father and good bond. “What is it like with your parents?”

“Why?” JB asked.

“Well, Minjun-oppa’s mom seemed to really look down her son’s image today. I don’t know if that is normal.” Krystal said honestly. It is weird. Nowadays, it felt like when her companion is JB, her honesty track gets higher.

“Well, it depends.” JB said. “My mom does that a lot. I mean both of them parents, they seem to think I’m wasting my time doing this photography crap. They even called before just to ask me about my future. Well, I’m shooting blanks and basically I am not in sync with them for now, I’ll probably just sync up again when I miss them.”

“Wow. That is funny.” Krystal said as she looks at him, which he looked back. “You don’t strike as someone who’d miss their parents.”

“I am actually very affectionate to them. Thank you.” JB said proudly. "It is normal for kids to be off sync with their parents. It is kind of the rules of a family. You can't be the Brady Bunch all the time." JB sees Krystal looking at her father and sister. “Your dad loves you. He has a weird way to say things, but look at the sudden party he threw you guys. I don’t know much but he only does that when one of his daughters go blue.”

“Go blue?”

“Yeah, last year, when I just started working, you kind of got blue for some reason. He plotted a small camp in just like this. And look at you, the next day, you were Jung Soojung again.” JB reminded her. Krystal remembered that day. She had lost a casting call and she was really upset because she didn’t try her hardest. And there was her father doing things to cheer her up. Just like he’s doing for Jessica right now.

“He’s cheering Jessica now.” Krystal looked back to see Jessica laughing with their father. “She’s pretty worried that by getting married she’ll be leaving dad behind.”

“I think your dad will be glad to see her down the aisle.” JB laughed a bit.

“What do you mean?” Krystal asked.

JB ruffled through his DSLR, and goes through the media. “I always catch your dad looking out of the gallery door every time evening comes.”

“He’s waiting for Jessica to get off work.” Krystal said.

“I thought so too, but…” JB showed her a picture in the camera, her father’s smiling face, as if he was relieved. “This is him whenever Minjun-hyung sends noona back home. He’s relieved. It is weird but I asked my dad once, instead of hogging onto the child, parents do want to see their children achieve more in life. Your dad is actually relieved to see her do something for herself.”

Krystal looked at the picture. Her father is happy. Jessica has been taking care of them both since forever and marrying someone she love would actually mean Jessica doing something that she had wanted. And that is exactly what their father had wanted. 

“Does unnie knows?” Krystal looks back at Jessica.

“I’m not sure, but don’t worry about it. Your dad will tell her.” JB nudged her. “Just so you know, this is the exact same face he does whenever you come home with a face.”

“Seriously, you’re ruining it.” Krystal sighed loudly.

“Okay I may in fact pushed it a little…” JB laughed.

“No, you pushed it a lot.” Krystal complained and they started bickering right away. 

Jinyoung sees the scene and somehow, he’s glad. His hyung can actually connect with someone. He just didn’t know it yet.

To Be Continued