Pictures of Dancheong

Click!

Pictures of Dancheong

It is another morning and Krystal went down to see that the gallery is open. She sees her sister propping some stuff in the gallery. The new exhibition must be up and her sister, even if she is herself a very busy person being a fashion assistant, Jessica has always managed to help around the gallery. Because organizing is fun for her and she have said once that organizing things in the gallery calms her from the hectic work. Krystal enters the gallery to see Jessica smiling at her.

“Look who just got up?” Jessica held out her hand to her sister. “Mesmerizing, isn’t it.” They are looking at photographed pictures of Dancheong. “Those colors are so abstracts but such synchronizing is just harmonious.”

“Whose work is it?” I asked as I see that the theme is Dancheong but different styles of photography are around.

“A lot of artists. We just pull out a notice for a Dancheong theme and extracted the ones that is preferable for the theme.” Jessica walked as Krystal followed her. “I like this one best.” They stopped in front of an amazing creation of Dancheong. “There are plenty more coming, and I am excited to see all of it.”

They stood there for a while in silence. A thing they liked to do since their father opened the gallery. Just appreciating the art that people brought in. Krystal is always amazed by the eyes of a photographer, how they can see such beauty on simple things. Subtly she envied those who could see further than her normal eyes could.

They heard a camera’s click from behind. When Krystal sees the guy behind the camera, she just rolled her eyes.

“JB ssi is here this early?” Jessica smiled to the young man. In fact the young man actually have a good eye on good photographs being a photographer himself. “I thought your shift starts at noon?”

“I left some stuff here and was about to go, but I see a beautiful lady down here, I had to take a picture. It actually last longer.” JB’s smirk made Krystal wants to throw up. She had known him since she was 12 when their respected fathers became friends and on those days, their conversations were basically polite bows and greetings, nothing more. It was until a year ago that her father actually hired him to be a helper in the gallery that she realized how obnoxious the guy is. She got accustomed to him by now, though it didn’t change the fact that they aren’t exactly each other’s favorite person. “Oh the midget is here.”

“Oh it is young Korean Hugh Hefner.” Krystal shot him a glare. “Do I need a medical shot or something for protection?”

“Soojungie.” Jessica warned me.

“Oh no, it is fine. I mean I am fine. So fine.” He said in his flirty voice.

“Ugh, you are disgusting. You know if a man needs a hooker, they just need to bring you because you are basically magnet.” Krystal ignored her sister’s nudge

“Ouch. She’s in a good mood. Her insults are actually on par today.” JB laughed as he looked over at Jessica. “Well, I guess I’m done with morning insults, so I better run.”

“Have some breakfast with us. Father would love you to join.” Jessica offered and Krystal couldn’t believe her sister.

JB shook his head. “Nah, I have to run. As much as I love getting on midget’s nerves, I actually have plans.”

“You’re the first college student to have such an early class. Busy guy.” Krystal teased.

“Always am.” JB said as he took his cameras with him. “Oh noona!” He called her back. “I actually get your good side here. If you need a new profile pic, just let me know!”

Jessica waved to him and Krystal just sighed loudly.

“You know you bicker so much you could actually end up marrying him.” Jessica chuckled which gets her a glare from her younger sister. Krystal left her sister’s side to get her own breakfast. “Don’t forget our lunch today.”

-

It was almost too late but JB managed to arrive before anyone in his college. The janitor is there as he waved to them. He sat on his spot between the trees, camera in hand and sees it, the students coming in from the front gate. He have been hired to take pictures of students around school for the new Konkuk University pamphlet. It wasn’t exactly big money but he is up for it.

He takes a few picture and just laughed at how misery comes with students that walks in at 7 am. The type that JB likes in a picture is when they didn’t realize of the camera and he would be able to capture the honesty of the subject. 7 am students are just sleepy. Then 8 am students came in and he sees the students smiling with their friends. “So, 8 am students are the chingus that goes to school together.” Click! “Meet up at school.” Click! “And meet up their significant others. How sweet.” Click!

8.30 am and the students began to ran in because 9 is when class starts. JB’s own class starts at 9 but he needs to document every piece of Konkuk students. 8.45 am and screw the hellos and greetings as everyone just rushed to their class. 8.50 am, empty with the occasional run in of the janitor. JB took his things in his back. 8.59 am, the last kid to show up but with a plastered smile on his face. Click! The kid who had a great morning and didn’t care if he is late. JB have captured it all in film, and he too had a good day.

A text comes in, reads, “Hey this is Yura from yesterday.”


It was the perfect summer heat that has the boys go chasing the girls for their short skirts and white thighs. Seoul is b in heat and but people actually think the sweaty thing is y on some people. It gives out your natural beauty they say. Though the sun did make people cover up from the ugly burns. Red is so not the color for summer; that would be too much.

Krystal prefers working indoors though.

Krystal posed for her W photoshoot and the photographer just loved her. She jumps, twirls, turns and just gives the best pictures. ‘Yes that is it’ ‘Okay do it like that again’ ‘Perfect’ It is the normal things to say in a photoshoot but the remarks after the photoshoot is what makes Krystal smile.

“So pretty.”

“I hope I have your long hair.”

“Your skin is perfect!”

“What a beauty!”

She remains chic because that is the image propped out for her, while in her heart she just smiles with glee. She looks at her pictures in computer and she just wants to pat herself a good job. She deserves to be paid that amount. She could see the male models looking at her and it flatters her a lot. She does have this effect on guys that just idolizes her. She remains aloof and could only smirk when she passes by.

Because in reality she is still a living with her dad and sister.

“Thank you all!” She bowed politely and head off out to just stretch her arms. Her manager walked beside her and just threw her arms around her. “Unnie. You’re embarrassing me.”

“Come on, just an arm wouldn’t shatter that chicness of yours.” Victoria . “Thanks for today!” She waved to the others. “So W is done and we should have Adidas after your lunch with Jessica. She did call to confirm just now. Is it okay to skip another class?” Victoria asked.

“Yeah, why not. It’s not as if I’m missing out on anything.” Krystal opens the door to the car. She sees a lot of presents in there. “Ooh free stuff!”

“Well yeah, I mean don’t get me wrong because you having a lot of jobs is making me all the more rich. But…” Victoria eyed her. “Your dad is kind of scaring me.” She sees Krystal sigh. “And your sister also makes an excellent point that maybe, you’re missing out on being a senior.”

“In school, they have people like Choi Jinri and her minions basically harassing me with insults all day. So I don’t think I am missing out on anything.” Krystal rolled her eyes. “And my fan club is taking care of the class notes so I’m not missing out on my assignments. For a student I am practically above average which is enough.”

“Okay. I take that as we are heading for Adidas after lunch.” Victoria scribbled in her notes. “Oh since we are in the topic of school, your sister also reminded me you have to take your graduation picture. I was thinking since…”

“Can’t we use the picture in my portfolios?” Krystal is very done with anything school related.

“They are pretty straight up formal no poses pictures and they need a more recent one too.” Victoria smiled. “Come on, you are graduating. This is a big deal.”

“I know but the last two years didn’t really make up the most amazing high school experience for me.” Krystal slouched in her seat. “Forgive me if I’m not exactly excited.”

“Well you should be.” Victoria nudged her. “I’m still scheduling you for your graduation picture after Adidas. So have your uniform ready.”

“Fine.” Krystal sighed.

“Next, Adidas!” Victoria said cheerfully. It is only the heat of the summer and the productivity just excited her.

Krystal scrolled into Instagram and she sees a lot of worthless posts. She rarely posted herself and was very keen not to be one of those IG fanatics. She rolled her eyes at some of the pouty mouth girls. That is never a good pose. Then she sees a post from Jessica, with her boyfriend Kim Minjun.

She sighed. Krystal thinks the guy is good for Jessica but the fact that he is the serious boyfriend kind of scares her. Jessica has basically raised her when their mother left. Her father is amazing as well, a little bit pushy at times, but a loving father. Though a father doesn’t really tie pigtails or puff the dress or be there on their daughter’s first period. Jessica is practically Krystal’s mom.

She could see her sister having her own family and her own kids, and she would be left alone doing this modelling like a poodle all by herself, receiving sponsored presents without anyone to share with. She shakes her head, the negativity thing is tiring but she can’t help herself being so damn negative all the time.

Which is why the fact that Jessica has a serious boyfriend just scared her. Jessica is of age to marry and Krystal just didn’t felt like losing another family member. But she had to act like she cared about the boyfriend.

She scrolled again and sees a post from her dad which has JB on it. Captioned, “This guy will help your needs.” That is disgusting. She is very sure it was JB who probably has access to her father’s phone but thinking back, her father is a businessman and he could have used JB’s image to draw in women into the gallery.

“He’s not even that good looking.” She whispered under her breathe. Being annoyed could actually pull her off her negative brood.

Jessica was already waiting when Krystal arrived and she have invited Victoria to join them. Jessica smiled widely and hugged both of them. Lunch with Jessica is actually her favorite part of the day as she only have one unnie. It went by fine as they talk about the latest trends around Seoul with Jessica prompting to even start her own business.

“How was Minjun oppa?” Krystal had to ask. She had calmed down and tried not to grip her phone on the table.

“He is wonderful.” Jessica’s smile widens and Krystal felt really bad that she hated the guy so much. Because that same guy actually puts a big smile on Jessica. “We are having dinner this weekend too with his family and ours.” Krystal stops.

“What does that mean?” She hoped it is not.

“So how was W?” Jessica asked, trying to change the subject.

“Great! You should see the free stuff they gave us!” Victoria smiled brightly, sensing the tension. “Oh and there is these shoes from Adidas that would look good for the morning run so when we go there after this, I would totally…”

“After this? Unnie, I told you, she should go to school.” Jessica said and I had to suppress my anger. “She’s missing out a lot and she is a senior.”

“I’m fine. I am graduating and doing rather well in exams.” Krystal pointed out.

“Not just that. You have your friends…” Jessica seemed to forget something.

“Well the last time I check I don’t have much friends there. Only haters and fans. No real friends.” She sprouts out and he anger is in .

Jessica looked at Krystal, saddened by this revelation. “Which is why maybe you just need to pause this modelling thing…”

“You’re not my mother.” Krystal knew she shouldn’t have said that, but the words are out there. “You are getting married that is why we are meeting Minjun Oppa’s family, right? You are going to be a mom and I am an adult now too. I can handle myself.” She took the phone and left the table, while Victoria bowed to Jessica before leaving too.

The lunch with Jessica should have been great. It should. It could.


JB looks at his reflection in the bathroom. It is almost noon and his shift begins in an hour so he just takes a quick shower. He always cleans up after . Yes, after class he went into a girl’s house just to throw it all off. He is almost done when he felt an arm hugging him from behind. He sees the girl that had texted him, smiling.

“Going so early?” She lets the shower drizzle on her and didn’t care if her shirt got wet.

“It is noon.” JB chuckled.

“Noon is early.” She kissed his back and clearly trying to get him in the mood. But he just suavely puts her hands away and exited the shower. “JB ssi.” She called him, just liking his wet hair very much. He kind of looks like a dog with that blonde color. “I like you.”

“And I like you.” JB smiled widely, a feature girls loved from him. “But I’ve got to go. I have work, noona. I actually need it to pay for my college tuition, and my hobby, which a bit pricey.”

“Please, I am only a year older. You can just call me by my name.” She handed him his shirt, while caressing his arms and biceps. “I hate being called noona.”

“Well that is the thing here.” JB said as he puts his jacket around him. “I don’t sleep with people I can’t call noona.” JB gave his famous smirk before kissing her on the cheeks. “See you around, Yura-noona!”

JB took his bicycle and cycled through the traffic around Seoul.

It is true, Im Jaebum does not sleep with a person younger than him. Same aged would only be considered friends while younger girls, they weren’t exactly his type. He met Yura at a club nearby and she is in fact alone and somewhat out of it. He likes Yura because she is exactly his type. Cute but very dangerous in bed.

He is a jerk, but when else are you going to live life in your 20’s?

He arrived at the gallery and sees the new banner was up and Dancheong is the theme. He really respect Jung Chang Woo for keeping up with Korean traditions, probably to cover up the time he had living in San Francisco for almost 20 years before coming home to Korea. He parked his bike and entered the office.

“Things looks good, ahjussi.” JB said as he sees his boss working on some papers.

“Yeah well, the pieces that came in is just small pieces. The bigger ones are coming around so make sure you’re here to monitor those guys. I don’t like seeing scratches on the wall.” Chang Woo instructed him and he nods. “Oh and I need your help on something.”

“What?” JB’s head is already looking at ‘getting lunch’ ‘errands out of town’ or whatever errand boys should do.

“Well, you have a pretty good eye, I’ve seen that a lot for this past year. So maybe, you would want to try to organize the exhibition.” Chang Woo smiled as he sees the young man speechless. “Well?”

“Okay.” JB answered. He stood up. “Thank you.” He was still in shock.

“You know I would have preferred a delighted face when you thank me.” Chang Woo said. JB just looked at his boss before walking around the table to hug him.

“Thanks a lot, ahjussi!”

“Okay, I know, you can let go now.” Chang Woo patted his back. “And quit calling me ahjussi!”

JB looked around as the new pieces for the gallery is coming in and he was just in awe of them. It was a Dancheong piece by famous photographers around Korea and he is deeply fascinated by each pieces.

Dancheong is the Korean Traditional art of decorative coloring on wooden building for the purpose of style. There are many histories in regard to the art itself and for photographers to capture an essence of Dancheong on film and create their own point of view of the color is just a splendid idea. JB looked around the pieces and is just happy to be going to work today.

It has a story. Each of them. Thus each of them have their own specialty to engage the audience. One picture must not overshadow the pictures beside it. Everything should be appreciated. Maybe not equally but every piece deserved the spotlight.

Then JB sees the wonderful thing in appreciating art, is that the world around him was evolving into a fascination of small details and perspective. He somehow felt the views of these photographers while seeing through their lenses. He wonders, would he achieve such skills, to have beauty captured in a photo forever. He’s learning.

When he is almost done with figuring the lay out, he sees the evening sky coming through. His boss is on the phone, standing right in front of the glass door, probably waiting for one of his daughters to come home. He slowly took his camera and ‘Click!’. People have seen beauty and somehow, today he might even glance at one.

“Yah, Jaebum-ah.” He heard his boss, Chang Woo calling. He skipped to his boss. “There is a few other pieces in Cheongdam area and I need you to pick it up. I know you are doing the layout but the other guys is still moving the pieces from Hongdae. The photographer couldn’t exactly fed ex it in time but since it is still around Seoul, we should get it ourselves. Preferably before sun down because the guy hates people bugging him during night time.”

“Who is the photographer?” JB asked.

“Im Suk Je.” Chang Woo said and JB’s jaws just dropped. “Yah, why are you so surprised?”

“Ahjussi. Im Suk Je sunbaenim is one of the best photographers in Korea. Did you not know that?” JB is still stunned by the fact that he might be able to meet Im Suk Je in person.

“I do know that which is why his piece is very important to this exhibit.” Chang Woo said as JB is just looked at him. “Well, off you go.”

“Right. Right.” JB shakes his head and went to the gallery’s car. This is a chance of a lifetime because Im Suk Je is a legend. His phone rings and he is surprised Jessica is calling him.

“Hello, pretty noona.” He is in a very good mood.

“Yah, I know you have a crush on my sister but that is just disgusting.” He heard the annoying voice of Jung Soojung on the other line and his mood just fell. “You think that line actually works?”

“More than you think. What do you want Soojung?” His good mood seems to get worse when he listens to her.

“I need you to come and get me.” Krystal looked around and sees people looking at her weirdly as she is actually wearing clothes shorter than shorts and thinner than thin. Her voice actually trembled and she just holds herself to stand up. JB sensed something is wrong.

“Where are you?” He asked.

-

Krystal waited and she sees the gallery’s symbol in front of her. JB sees that she is in so little outfit, not proper for a young lady. He ran to her and held her arm.

“What happened?” He asked as he wrapped her with his jacket.

“ happened.” She spat.

Flashback

Lunch did not go well, and Krystal is glad that they arrived into the set quickly. The crews has already set up everything and Krystal just sat there for hair and makeup. Weekend. Weekend. It is all in her head right now. Somehow she imagines herself being all alone without her sister and just felt like crying. The fact that one man could definitely take her away with her hand in marriage, it is all too much.

“Krystal-ssi, are you okay?” The makeup artists asked and she realized that she already has tears on her eyes.

“Nothing, this eye shadow somehow pricks my eyes.” She took the tissue and patted the tears away. “I’m fine. Totally fine.”

Though the professional side of Krystal Jung is gone because she wasn’t exactly concentrating on the shoot. She sees Victoria looking at her and she just felt like running away. She just lifelessly twirl around but before the next outfit, the photographer stopped the shoot.

“This isn’t working. Unless your model here actually brings out a good picture, we are going for another model.”

Usually, Krystal would have bowed and actually do her job. Because it is embarrassing to not do her job well. But somehow, she just walked away and took her things. She needed to leave. It is nauseating around here and she just needs to get out.

“Hey miss model! That is our outfit. You will be fined if you leave with those.” An assistant said to her.

End flashback

“Which is why I am in a skimpy lil shorts here and a thin white t shirt. It’s the only thing I could find in those mess and really, not my shining moments.” Krystal said as she sat back in the car, relaxing in his oversized jacket. The fact that she is in a recognizable environment just calms her down.

“So why did you call me?” JB asked.

“Oh that. When I left the restaurant after lunch, I took Jessica’s phone by mistake. When my head cleared a bit I was about to call my manager, but I didn’t remember her number. I checked Jessica’s list and I don’t recognize any of them except yours.” Krystal’s attitude has come back. “I had to call you. I wish not to but I had to.”

“You could just call your dad.” JB said.

“And let him see me like this, not a chance.” Krystal has her defense up again.

She may want to hide it but the fact that she basically told him first that she has problems with her sister getting married just proves that she is still under a lot of stress from the news. JB has heard of their mother leaving, and being the people’s observer, JB sees that Krystal is actually afraid of losing another mother. Jessica may only be a mother figure but the trauma that their own mother have abandoned them may effect Krystal more than anybody realized.

JB remembered the 12 years old girl who shied away from compliments, and now she is a teenager that likes those compliments. Something is not right though, it is as if it is a wall that Krystal build to cover herself from her own worst enemy. She acts rude to him all the time but he wonders maybe that side is her most honest side out of Krystal Jung.

“You know…” He started. He didn’t exactly want to read her this deeply but he did anyway so the only advice he knows is this. “If you wanted to cry, you can cry. I won’t tell others.”

“I’m not…” Krystal started.

“I won’t tell others.” He pointed out again. With that, Krystal just silently cries on the whole journey back. It is painful to hear but somehow, JB is glad, at least she didn’t keep it all inside like she had been for a while now.

His phone went off and he blindly answered. “Hello?”

“Yah! Where are you, you punk!” Chang Woo yelled through the phone and JB wants to hits his head on the wheels. “Im Suk Je called and said you haven’t arrived!”

“Ahjussi. I’m sorry. I mean…” He looked at Krystal who is looking at him with tear stains. He couldn’t exactly out her to her dad when she’s looking like that. Even if technically she is the reason why he’s not doing his job. “I got caught up with a personal problem. I’m on my way now.”

“I told you he doesn’t like visitors after dark!” Right, he forgot that.

Krystal looks at the guy who she would have sworn thinks more for his personal gain than others. She also realized that he takes up all the blame from her own dad.

“Yah, tell him…” She started but JB shushed her though her dad seemed to hear her. She really did make it worse.

“You’re with a girl? Yah I give you an important task and you are with a woman?!” Even Krystal can hear her father’s yelling now. She felt really bad. On normal days she would have threw petals if JB did something wrong that requires yelling. Now, she just feels bad.

“I’m not… Listen, Im Suk Je is a morning person. I know this because I am basically a fan since forever. The exhibit opens at 9 and I will get his piece before that.” JB assured Chang Woo.

“You better!” Chang Woo hangs up on him. JB sighed. His great day turns out to be worst. Im Suk Je probably thinks he is a no brainer errand boy now. He rests his head on the wheels, trying to compose himself.

Krystal is just about to ask him if he is okay but JB beats her to it. “Yah, Jung Soojung.” She would have thought he would insult her, or even be really pissed. But he just scoffed all of that and said, “You owe me.”

He drives again and somehow, Krystal just thought that he might be at least cool.


It is another day and Chang Woo woke up with the realization that his exhibition will have one piece missing. He got out of bed, hoping for the best. He didn’t care about JB being his old friend’s son and would probably fire him today. Even if the layout was perfect, he screwed up by missing a very important piece by a VIP.

Chang Woo is about to leave when his youngest daughter called him.

“Appa.” She looks at him and he just wondered.

-

JB looked at the piece and smiled. It is finally up. He made it. An hour before opening. He likes to give himself a pat in the back because he pulled an all nighter waiting in front of Im Suk Je’s apartment. He knew he should have just gone home and comes back in the morning but the morning person in JB have been used when he took pictures for his university. He didn’t trust himself to actually get there in time, which is why he waited in the car.

Im Suk Je was nice enough, even gave him a tour of his house. He asked if JB was busy that he didn’t get to come yesterday, JB answered that he didn’t want to bother him after dark. The old man laughed and said he had dinner alone and would have been glad to have a guest at dinner.

It was then that JB realized, the ‘don’t bother people after dark’ thing was Jung Chang Woo’s rules.

Which is why when he heard Chang Woo entered the gallery, he already have all the weapon words in his sleeves. He looked back and saw Krystal walking behind Chang Woo. Before he could say anything, Chang Woo puts his hand up.

“Soojungie told me you picked her up yesterday because she got separated from her manager and lost her way around.” Chang Woo looked at Krystal who smiled. “Well, you actually got the piece there, an hour early, so that’s good. You should go home and rest, you look like crap.”

Chang Woo turned and walked away. Both of them just stared at the old man.

“You know I get where your stubbornness comes from now.” JB commented and Krystal hits him. “What did you tell him?”

“Just what he had told you and perhaps that ‘people can’t be bothered after dark’ is just his idea instead of Korean society.” Krystal pointed out. JB agreed. At least he can still use that against his boss now and then. “Thanks anyway.”

“Wait a minute.” JB walked in front of her. “What did you say?”

“I’m so not repeating that.” Krystal rolled her eyes. “Dad was right, you look like crap, you should go home.”

JB sighed. If anything, Krystal is back to normal.

-

JB looked into his camera while he waited for the bus. Today was a very interesting with Krystal and he did see a lot of pieces he liked. Those Dancheong portraits were beautiful and he actually extracted a few techniques to get such fantastic shots. The pictures scrolled into Jessica and Krystal standing in the gallery. “Ah, noona, so pretty.” That is obvious but that noona has been like his real sister for the past year that he would never dare to tap that. Then he sees Krystal beside her, who first caught him with his camera. She was off guard but her eyes actually looked into his lens, as if she looks straight at him.

JB smiled. “She actually look good in pictures.”

The bus came and the thought of Jung Soojung as pretty just slipped away.

To Be Continued