Pictures of Graduation

Click!

Pictures of Graduation

Silence. That is the word hanging on the wall.

JB sat in the library with his book while waiting for the student president to come and join him. He likes this part of the campus best because it actually has the best view. He felt that the window frames the nature outside perfectly and the slight noise of students in the background just compliments this silence that is the library.

He sighed. Because he just got a text from his parents, with his father insisting he makes a future report. He didn’t know exactly how to do a future report, or if it actually exists. His parents needed to know if he is actually being smart or just laying around until someone notices his work. He looked at the photos that he printed. He whispered, “This thing can pay me through anything.” Well it would pay for a couple of lunch but at least it pays for something.

He sees the cheeky president laughing with his assistant. The student body president stops immediately and got serious when he sees JB.

JB is just confused. Some people reacted that way to him, just a momentary shock and seriousness takes over. Somehow his presence just makes others feels somewhat insecure, especially around college. He only have a few close friends around campus and he wondered, did he do something wrong that makes people distance themselves.

“Ah, anyeonghaseyo.” The student president bowed and it kind of irks him because the president is in fact older than him and they had known each other since high school even. He bowed back and just stared at him. “So…”

“Jin-hyung…” JB started but the president shakes his head.

“I go by Kim Seok Jin around here. Jin is just high school. I would prefer it if you called me sunbae. But it is your call.” He stammered. He looked everywhere but at JB.

JB took the folder from his bag and gave it to Jin. “Well, here you go.” JB looked up to the assistant who is in fact his friend too and she just smiled apologetically.

“Ah thank you very much for your work.” Jin quietly stood up and bowed again. “Hyejong would take it from here, thanks.” With that, the awkward moments around Jin is gone.

“Seriously, what is up with that guy?” JB asked Hyejong who just plops in front of JB.

“That is because Jin oppa is scared of you. Everybody in school that doesn’t know you, is scared of you.” Hyejong who somehow have managed to snag a place in the student body being a junior. “Your face isn’t exactly friendly to the guys.”

“Okay I don’t exactly smile all the time but I’m not scary.” JB said and Hyejong stared at him. “I’m not. You know this.”

“This earrings, this mysterious image, it didn’t help make you approachable either.”Hyejong pulled JB’s ear, which he whined.

“This is cool.” JB slaps her hand away.

“This makes you look shady.” Hyejong said. She heard the librarian shushed them and she just bowed. “So, how was life? I should be updated as your friend but this student body thing kind of takes up my time.”

“Great. I mean yesterday there is this hot…” JB was shut by Hyejong’s glare. “You weren’t talking about that update?”

“I know your skimpy one night stands isn’t exactly diverse on subjectivity. I meant your photography thing.” Hyejong pointed to his camera. “You’re still holding onto that?”

“Yeap. I mean really, even if I ponder into the deepest reality check, this photo thing pops up.” JB smiled. “I’m confident that someday I’ll put it up there.”

“Well I’ve seen your work and it is amazing. Why not put those up?” Hyejong asked.

“Because as I worked around Jung Chang Woo ahjussi, I realized that to put it up you can’t just have pretty pictures.” JB looked through his camera. “You need to have a story that is compelling enough to intrigue the audience.”

“Kind of like a movie?” Hyejong offered.

“Exactly like a movie.” JB said. “Though I seem to be really scarce on subject and character here. There is a block in my head that just won’t let any of the ideas come out.”

“Good luck then. Because the last time I’ve seen your head being useful is when you dump that teacher’s sorry .” Hyejong said and she missed JB’s watchful eyes. He really didn’t want his friends especially whining Hyejong to know about it. “I need to get back to the office. We’ll send in your check tomorrow.”


Krystal stood there as she looked into her classroom. It was a free study period. They all looked back at her.

They ignored her. At least that was what she hoped for when she sees Sulli and the gang walking towards her.

“What is this? I thought you were too busy to go to school? Did they finally realize you’re just a sore eye?” Sulli smirked and her height actually made a disadvantage to fight back.

Krystal went to her seat. She could hear people whispering as Sulli just kept throwing insults loud enough for them to hear. She have her earphones on and just puts her head on the table. This morning her father have decided for her that she should attend school for a while and basically rearranged all of her schedules. She wanted to scream at him, but as the father, he actually have all the rights to do that, so she just sulked. Victoria didn’t really mind because she noted how scary Jung Chang Woo can be.

What bothered Krystal though is Jessica giving her this look. She wasn’t sure what look it was, somewhat pity sorry with bits of regret. Krystal shakes her head and let herself divulge into music. Even if the banging sound should have deflect her from her inner thoughts, she can’t help but feel burdened by Jessica nowadays, who just seemed to distance herself. The next day would be their meeting with the Minjun’s family and she has no idea how to act. Minjun is a very nice guy and practically the only guy after her father that she could actually have good conversation with.

She felt a nudge beside her and she looks up to the pretty young teacher, smiling at her.

“Your notes.” Her teacher smiled and gave her a full set of notes. Krystal have a few minions herself to take notes but somehow it was the angel teacher that basically saved her from failing every time. The young teacher isn’t really a friend since they never hung out, nor was she in Krystal’s fan’s club (most of them are boys) and the teacher isn’t really looking for anything in return.

She’s just, nice. Krystal thinks her luck in this school is all because of this teacher.

“Teacher. Thanks.” She took the notes and sees the teacher sitting beside her. Because of how young she looks she is basically quite chummy with a lot of kids around. Krystal likes her the most, because she is in fact the only one who makes her feel comfortable in school. Krystal is glad that the teacher transferred to their school, right when Krystal is a freshman.

Only Oh Seung Ah is there for her genuinely.

“Yah, I saw your ad campaign. Aigoo. I can’t believe they can make this tired looking student into a goddess.” The teacher teases her and Krystal could only smile.

“Teacher, you still need a good canvas to look that good.” Krystal complimented herself while Seung Ah laughed.

“Still…” Seung Ah patted Krystal’s head. “It is good that you actually come to school. It is almost graduation and at least you'll need a senior life around here.”

“Teacher, you do know the people here either hate me or idolize me. None of them are really my friends.” Krystal know that was supposed to be a sad thing but she didn’t really care.

“Well, I do like that Gucci you sport but I’m not exactly falling head over heels for you. I have my husband for that. Though I don’t really hate you.” Seung Ah smiled. “I’m your friend.”

Krystal smiled. She forgot that Seung Ah teacher basically is her only friend in school.

“You were married pretty young. How did you know your husband is your forever?” Krystal asked her. She sees Seung Ah’s cheery expression turns down.

“Well, you could say the situation made it like that.” Seung Ah smiled again.

Krystal decided to drop it, because if anything, she didn’t need her teacher to feel sad.

“You know what, you like art don’t you, teacher. You should come visit the gallery sometimes. I promise you it will cheer you up!” Krystal smiled.

“I will then. Sometimes.” Seung Ah’s lips turns up again. “Let’s have lunch together today, okay! There is someone I would like you to meet.”

Behind them is Sulli smirking. “Look at that, the have meetings. How sweet.”

Krystal didn't thought to have a good day at school today. As she gets reminded that there is actually cool people in school. Seung Ah has asked her to have lunch and there she met with the tomboy Amber from the other class and she had no idea how she could have missed befriending Amber. Then there is Luna who she remembers as the power vocalist that is training to become a singer. Krystal then realized that Seung Ah have huddled all the ‘troublesome’ kids together.

“I don’t know. People keep seeing me like I should be their boyfriend, but like, I’m not. And guys just keep seeing this girly version of a guy in me so I can’t really fit around here.” Amber expressed. “Plus my Korean is a bit rusty, I just kept having people laughing at my accent.”

“I keep rushing out for my singing lessons but a lot of people around here actually think that because I am debuting in an idol group, rumors spread that I auto tune even my live performance.” Luna sighed. “Like seriously how can you auto tune with the crappy sound system we have in this school.”

“I work a lot and really I’m not sorry for my work.” Krystal expressed. “But sometimes, I guess it is kind of lonely around school with people either hating you or idolizing you.”

It is somewhat like therapy and the teacher had brought up a solution for the three of them. Genuine friends and Krystal actually liked both Amber and Luna. They are basically 3 very different people but the conversation is great.

She can’t wait to tell Jessica…. Oh right. Obviously Jessica would be too busy with catering her relationship with Minjun. Krystal decided to just stick with experiencing on her own.

She didn’t actually sees herself hugging Luna and Amber on their graduation, but it is nice to find someone to talk to in school. Krystal wouldn’t know if they would be best buddies, she knows her own personality so she didn’t really see herself being that chummy with Amber and Luna, but the energy she feels around actual friends felt great.


JB walked into the office and saw a few guests arriving. He smiled when he sees a group of girls appreciating the art. He is about to drop his bag into the locker until his boss stopped him.

“Not today. I have an errand for you.” Chang Woo warned him.

“Fine.” JB sighed. Of course the boss is always cutting his steam.

“I need you to pick up Soojung from school.”

“Not fine.” JB said and Chang Woo eyed him. “She hates me, like really hates me.”

“You don’t need to hang out with her. Just pick her up in school and bring her home. You did that before.” Chang Woo insisted.

“Her school is just blocks away, she can walk.” JB reminded his boss. “Plus, before it was an emergency. She was actually lost. Today, she just needs to walk and take a few detours of ice creams and come back.”

“She’s pretty mad at me for rearranging her schedules and I am afraid she might go off for some work before coming home.” Chang Woo pushed the keys to JB.

“I am not chaperoning a teenage girl.” JB pushed the keys back.

“I’ll pay you double for a week.” Chang Woo lured him in.

JB ate the bait.

He sighed as he just looked back at the gallery. If anything, Chang Woo is giving him a 15 minutes hell ride, but double pay for a week is good money for that 15 minutes. Should be worth it. He was about to roll before Jessica comes knocking on the glass.

“Hey noona.” He pulled the window down. “What’s up?”

“Are you picking up Soojung?” Jessica asked.

“Yeah.” JB answered as if it was unbelievable.

“Can you… I mean…” Jessica stutters and JB is confused because Jessica does not stutter. “She needs her graduation picture ready, so…”

“Noona, our gallery is right beside a photo studio. She can take it there.” JB pointed to the shop next to their gallery.

“No it’s just… I don’t exactly know how to talk to her and somehow she mistaken that I am avoiding her. I’m not exactly her favorite person now. Can you talk to her?” Jessica almost begged.

“Noona, you know I am basically the last person she’ll ever listens to.” JB know that notion is true. "Plus I'm not sure I know what the problem is."

“I may be getting married, so…” Jessica looked around, confused. “You know what, forget about it.” She backed away. “Oh Soojung hates the photographer ahjussi from that shop. Just take her somewhere else.”

JB looked at the noona walking back to the gallery. He pondered on the fact that she said ‘may’ and ‘married’ in the same sentence.

-

“Yo, Soojungie!” JB waved under his sunglasses. He sees Krystal rolling her eyes.

“What are you doing here?” Krystal opens the door and slides in rather roughly to the passenger seat. “Don’t tell me you are chaperoning me now.”

“Kind of. I mean your dad paid extra just to get you from school back to the gallery.” JB hits the gas on the road. “He also said that I am in charge, so you have to do as I say from this point to the gallery.” He made that up but he needs some kind of rules with Krystal.

“That would never happen.” Krystal looked out of the window and sees the direction they are going wasn’t to the gallery. “Are you lost? The gallery is the other way.”

“Oh right, your sister said you need your graduation picture. Like really, you haven’t taken one? It’s this late.” JB looked over at her.

“I was busy.” Krystal said. Truthfully she forgot and the mention of her sister made her feel like not talking.

JB sees the sudden lack of mood and he knew it was the mention of Jessica. The older Jung did mention that she is probably not Krystal’s favorite person. He doubt it because if anyone lacks favoritism charm to Krystal, it is JB.

“What kind of image?” He suddenly asked and she actually looked at him as she was confused. “Come on, you’re a model, you know what I am talking about.”

“You mean the graduation picture?” Krystal asked and he nodded. “Isn’t it like straight up formal picture?”

“No. You can have an image even with graduation picture.” JB smiled at his recall on graduation pictures. “For example, a dongsaeng of mine wanted his picture to look serious but because of his baby face, no one can actually take him seriously. To add some mystery you dim the light a bit so he actually have shadows under his eyes, put in a couple of years in him and I told him to give a slight smile, almost like a smirk. He can’t actually do it but I told him to think about a funny stuff while maintaining his posture. He laughs and right when he loses the smile, the smirk is there. Bam, 5 years older, serious image done.”

Krystal looks at him, somehow finds him very chatty for the first time. Sure they have their own bickering but it is usually short and sharp.

“So, what image do you want?” He asked again.

“I don’t really know.” Krystal thought about it. “Usually the set director gives me the image.”

“Then we’ll let the ahjumma decide.” JB said proudly.

“Ahjumma?”

“Oh yeah. Don’t tell your dad that we are heading to Ilsan.” JB entered the highway.

“Yah!” She hits him. “Are you kidnapping me?!”

-

They arrived in front of an old studio in Ilsan and Krystal looked around. It is not as lively as the heart of Seoul but Ilsan have its charms. Dream High was filmed here. She wouldn’t tell anyone that she likes the drama more than she should. It is also the drama that she and Sulli shared to love so she rather have that memory erased.

“Yah. Come here quick!” JB called her as he enters the studio and she followed. The studio is rather old and filled with antiques. Krystal shuts in any commentaries of how tacky the furniture are as she sees the old ahjumma who owns the studio came down smiling at them. “Ahjumma! Young as always!”

The ahjumma smiled. “Ah the always complimenting Jaebummie!” The older woman hugged JB as if he was her own son. She sees Krystal behind JB and looked at her closely. Krystal bowed to the older woman. “Oh, your taste have certainly changed.”

JB looked at Krystal and he laughed. “This kid? Not in a million years.” JB pulled Krystal beside him. “She’s here for her graduation picture. Soojung meet Jang U ahjumma. She’s the professional here with graduation pictures.”

“Oh, just like old times.” The ahjumma smiled. Krystal seemed to notice that the ahjumma is eyeing her head to toe. “What would be your image, young lady?”

“Ah….” She really didn’t know.

“She’s a ‘confused’.” JB answered quickly.

“Well you always bring in a lot of confused. Though, I might take confused more than you. Your type is the worst.” The ahjumma pointed out at him.

“I’m not bad at all.” JB whines and unintentionally glared at her.

“I am flattered, Jaebummie, but you need to control your glare.” The ahjumma took her camera. She looked at Krystal. “When is your birthday?”

“Oh, October 24th.” Krystal answered.

“People with that birthdate are always the confident type. Unlike this January born who have a lot of worries.” The ahjumma really likes attacking JB. “But you seemed to be filled with worries. Thus you build up a strong wall against people.” Krystal felt like she is being judged. “We’ll play around a few images and pick one that suits you.” The ahjumma looked into her camera and sees that the memory holder is empty. She excused herself to take a new card.

“Seriously, not to be rude but what is all that?” Krystal looked at JB.

“Well, whenever a student come to her for graduation pics, she gives them an identifier.” JB explained and he realized he sounded crazy to her. “I’m serious.”

“I don’t need an identifier. I just need a graduation picture.” Krystal reasoned.

“A graduation picture is an identifier. And it’s a lot deeper than you think.” JB explained and he sees Krystal’s confused face. When he tried to explain again, the ahjumma came back.

“Soojung-ssi. If you please come with me. Jaebummie, do not touch anything.” She warned him and there goes Krystal inside the room only with both of them. Being awkward is not even describing the situation. “So sit there.” She instructed her.

“Right.” Krystal sits on the stool.

“Do what you always do in front of a camera.” Jang U Ahjumma sets the tripod and the camera. She sees Krystal very confused. “Do you always look confused in front of the camera?”

“No.” Krystal straightens up and just smiled slightly. The ahjumma snaps. She looked at her camera’s screen.

“You looked forced.” The ahjumma walked towards her and held her shoulder. “Try relaxing this stiffness.”

“Graduation pictures are stiff.” Krystal told her and the ahjumma just went back to her spot.

“Okay.” Snaps.

The ahjumma must have been crazy because that is over 20 snaps in 30 minutes. She ordered Krystal a lot and half of the vocabulary are ‘relax’. Krystal sighed in relief as Jang U ahjumma signaled that they are done. She didn’t really know why JB would brought her here.

“Come, girl. Look at these.” Jang U ahjumma called Krystal over to the screen. What she sees is basically the same expressions on every single photos. “You must be very confused.”

“What do you mean?” Krystal is tried to still be polite.

“See this first 5 pictures, you are just ready to go with that black eyes, bored.” The ahjumma explained and Krystal actually gets what she meant. “Now the next four, you are just a bit angry aren’t you?” The ahjumma showed the crinkle on the brows and Krystal gives a small laugh. “The next one, I don’t know what is in your head, but it gave us this.” Krystal looks at the picture and sees that she actually genuinely smile.

What was in her head, even she is curious.

“It actually make me look like a normal student.” Krystal said.

“That gives you an identifier.” The ahjumma smiled. “Hagsaeng. A student, ready to face the challenges of the world.”

Krystal looked at Jang U ahjumma. “I actually liked that identifier.”

“I know.”

JB sat outside and yawned. He looked around and felt like he needed Jang U ahjumma to change the tacky furniture. He sees Krystal exiting the room and he just prop his head to the side. “So?”

“She’s pretty weird.” Krystal said as she sat beside him.

“And?”

“Well, that is actually a good photo of me.” Krystal said. “And I have my identifier from her.”

“What is it?”

“Student.” Krystal smiled.

“What? That is just boring, no characteristic at all.” JB sees Krystal disagreeing. “Come on, a student is not your identifier, it is a fact of Jung Soojung.”

“I liked it.”

“Jaebummie. Soojung-ssi.” They see the ahjumma coming out. “The picture would be ready in an hour. You can walk around first and come by later to pick it up.”

“Ah, thank you very much, Jang U ahjumma.” Krystal bowed. Somehow, the ahjumma have become the friendliest old woman she have ever met.

JB and Krystal walked out of the studio and looked around.

“Lets eat ddukbokki.” JB said as he just lets himself walk first. Krystal stayed put on her ground. JB looked back. “I’m in charge, Jung Soojung so you better come with me.”

“I don’t want ddukbokki.” Krystal looked around and she sees a ramyun place. “I want ramyun.” And she lets herself walk to the ramyun place. JB sighed as he just followed her.

She sat down and looked at the menu, purposely eyeing the expensive menus. JB sat in front of her, eyeing her. She looked up. “You are in charge so you’re paying.”

“No I’m not.”

“Yes you are. It is either that or I’ll just ask appa to cut it from your pay.” Krystal sets her eyes on the menu. “Ommonim! What is this special set?” Krystal asked.

“Yah.” JB warned her.

“I’m really hungry.” She smirks.

JB looked at Krystal who is indulging in her food. Somehow the tense girl he brought from school seemed to be very different with the girl in front of him. In a way, the chic image that she tried to portray is all gone once she ordered him around when he was supposed to be in charge. “Chic my .” He whispers.

“What did you say?” Krystal said in informal term.

“Yah, I am older than you. You don’t have any manners at all. ‘Oh, Krystal is so chic! So cool!’ When it is all monster Jung Soojung.” JB poked fun at her.

“Yah. You were just born earlier in the 94 liner. That doesn’t exactly make you older.” Krystal poked her almost empty bowl. “What about you? ‘Ah, JB-ssi is manly! Such serious man!’ What are you? Im Casanova?”

“Tch.” JB looked away. He looked right at the studio after the crossroad and sighed.

“Yah, this is just a curious question.” Krystal looks up to him where he glared back. “You. And Jang U ahjumma. Are you?”

“What? No!” He protested quite loudly. He lowered his voice down. “For what reasons do you think that?”

“I don’t know. You basically run for any woman with a heartbeat.” Krystal laughed.

“I have a limit, thank you.” JB said. “Anyone 10 years older is fine but none of them should be even a year younger than me.” JB said proudly which he knows will annoy Krystal.

“That is just disgusting.” Krystal said. “That should be your identifier, disgust.”

“Actually, my identifier is ‘Saram’.” JB remembered a year ago. “Human.” He said in English.

“Why?”

“Because somehow ahjumma said I should be less stiff and less serious. My face somehow just turns scary whenever I am stiff. And serious.” JB explained. Krystal remembered that Jang U ahjumma said JB is a worrier.

“Well I actually think you are too free, with no worries in the world.” Krystal meant it as an insult.

“Gee thanks.” JB replied sarcastically. Then JB wonders about Krystal’s identifier. “Why are you ‘hagsaeng’?”

“Well, I remembered this specific thing and somehow kind of smiled to that memory. Jang U ahjumma said I looked like a student.” Krystal looked down. “I don’t know, I kind of liked it when the photo actually makes me look like student. More than the person in the magazines, I just liked how I look in that picture.”

“You’re not exactly a normal high school student.” JB said.

“You think I don’t know that.” Krystal swear he couldn’t keep his sarcasm to himself.

“I mean you are not. What’s wrong with that?” JB asked her. “Whenever Jang U ahjumma gives someone an identifier, it is either because she sees that person as it is, or see them as the person they wanted to become.” JB looked at her. “You wanted to be a student.”

Krystal realized that she was the one who said she looked like a student, not Jang U ahjumma. She was the one that liked the photo, she picked that, not the photographer. She chose her own identifier.

“I…” Krystal started. “I actually imagined my graduation with this few friends I just meet today. It’s weird because we just met and I already thought of spending my graduation with that friends.”

JB smiled at her, because he somehow just see a new person in Krystal. A girl who is actually lonely in school. He remembered Jessica saying that Krystal must have thought her sister was abandoning her. But Jessica’s confused self is not actually doing anything to the strain.

“You know, whenever you have something to say to someone, you say it.” JB said. “Who knows the other party is as confused as you are.”

Krystal thought back. She really needed to talk to her sister.


Flashback

JB is almost 20 and he is in the studio taking his graduation picture. He sighed as he looks up to the old ahjumma flicking her camera.

“Jaebummie, ready?” She asked.

“Yeah.” He sat up straight and looked straight to camera.

“Yah, you look like you have all the worries in the world. Relax a bit.” The ahjumma peeked through her camera again but JB is still stiff. “Yah, what is your problem, Jaebum-ah.”

“Everything.” JB didn’t really want to explain anymore.

“Jaebummie.” The ahjumma looked straight at him. “Try to quest for the world a little bit more. Be out there, be human. You are the worst confused kid I have ever seen. I don’t think you can find your own identifier.” The ahjumma looked at the young boy again. “I’ll give you a temporary identifier. Try to be human. Then we’ll see where that takes you.”

To Be Continued