Chapter 5

Suzette [indefinite hiatus]

“Wheein has like the most adorable dimples I’ve ever seen, she was just the cutest little thing, I swear. And when I say little, I really do mean little, she’s like ridiculously tiny.” Yongsun smiled as she listened attentively to Hyejin fawn over her date.

Chuckling, Yongsun asked, “How small is she, then?”

“159cm, I think. Isn’t that tiny or what?”

Snorting in a very unladylike fashion, she reprimanded the younger girl. “Hyejin, that’s a one centimetre difference, that’s nothing.”

“Says you!” The voice over the line argued. “You call me short all the time, but we’re also only a centimetre apart!”

“Touché,” Yongsun muttered while fiddling with her laptop. Opening a new tab in her browser, she quickly checked her Youtube subscriptions for any new updates. The little number ‘1’ quickly got her attention. “Hyejin, I’ll get back to you later,” she interrupted the other girl’s ramblings.

“Ah, but didn’t you want to know about Moo-” Hyejin’s words were cut off by the dial tone. “Dammit, Yongsun. What kind of unnie are you, hanging up like that,” she huffed. Oh well. 

 

Meanwhile, Yongsun was fixated on her computer screen, her eyes following a certain person’s fluid movements in the video. “Moonstar,” she breathed, entranced by the dancer, face covered by a snapback. Yongsun could only wish that she could move as smoothly as the girl on Youtube, watching as even her hair — tied up in a ponytail — swished in time to the music.

She seems really familiar though, where have I seen her? Yongsun asked herself when the video ended. “Moonstar,” she said aloud again, resting her chin on her palm. That kind of slim body, and that kind of natural dance… Moon and star, huh. Wait a minute. Moon-

“-Byul?” Yonghee, standing at the doorway of Yongsun’s room, finished her sentence. “That’s her, right? On your screen,” she continued, pointing at her sister’s laptop.

“W-what?” Yongsun stuttered. “T-that’s Moonstar, you know, the dancer that I was telling you about.”

 

“Yeah, I know, I’ve checked out her vids already. That’s definitely Byulyi. Pretty sure she was wearing those exact clothes the other day, too.”

Quickly turning her head to look at her laptop again, Yongsun stared at her screen. No doubt about it; her sister was right once again. Every pixel of the dancer was Byulyi’s, and she couldn’t help but be awed at the confidence of the younger girl.

Yonghee ruffled her hair and said softly, “Is this what they call fate, then?” Yongsun frowned and tilted her head, confused by her older sister’s words. “Look, you like her, right? Way before you met Byulyi, you would talk non-stop about this amazing dancer that you’re so in love with, and it turns out that said dancer and Byulyi are one and the same person,” she explained. “So why not ask her out the next time you see her?”

“Unnie! I can’t!” Yongsun protested. “I mean, we barely know each other. She doesn’t even know I watch her videos.”

“All the more you should talk to her, then. I’m pretty sure that she’s rather interested in you as well,” the older girl said, arms tucked in her pockets as she approached the door. “Trust your unnie, Yongsun-ah. After all, who introduced you two to each other?” A corner of raised in a smirk, she wiggled her eyebrows suggestively before walking out.

Once again alone in her room, Yongsun sighed. If Yonghee was correct (as she usually is), then she would at least stand a chance with Byulyi. But she really didn’t know a thing about the other girl, other than the fact that she danced really well, and that she was a regular customer at the crêperie, and that Hyejin probably knew about her…

Hyejin!

With great speed that would impress Usain Bolt, Yongsun dialled Hyejin’s number, listening to the dial tone impatiently.

“I have nothing to say to you, unnie, after you so rudely hung up on me,” Hyejin said with mild annoyance. “And I’m Skyping Wheein right now, so don’t interrupt us, please.”

“Could you at least tell me about Byulyi later, once you’re done?”

“I’ll tell you tomorrow. Meet me in the campus café at ten for breakfast. Your treat, or the deal’s off,” Hyejin drawled, smirk forming on her face. Yongsun groaned inwardly, but quickly replied affirmative.

 

Once the call ended, she sat up on her bed again, looking at her still-open laptop. Her cursor hovered over the comment box of Byulyi’s dance video, and she wondered what kind of comment she should leave. Maybe I should say something like, “Hi Byulyi! Do you remember me?” No, no, that’ll be too awkward. Perhaps a simple “Great vid! I love you.” Wait, no. “I love your dancing.” Yeah, that’s better.

Typing the comment out, Yongsun hit the ‘enter’ button and watched as her words were engulfed by the continuous stream of new comments surfacing under the video. She just could not peel her eyes off the girl on the screen, slowly developing an urge to re-watch every single one of Byulyi’s videos with this newfound idea that the dancer in the video was actually that she knew, and that this wonderful human being who she admired just on-screen did really make contact with her, and even praised her singing. And, she thought. We did kind of hold hands the other day, didn’t we, when I passed her that crêpe that I made… Ah, great. Her sister was always correct.

I really am in love with her.

 

--------

Sorry for the extremely late churn-out y'all, and yikes, it's not really good a quality of chapter as I'd have liked. Uni's been piling projects and essays on me left and right, and writer's block doesn't really help. But enough excuses, I'll try to get a few more chapters in the next few weeks. :)