Chapter 11

Suzette [indefinite hiatus]

Hyejin stood in front of a large apartment block, tapping her foot impatiently, and anxious to see her friend again. After repeatedly jabbing the doorbell button, she started to pace in front of the building, and whipped out her phone from within the depths of her almost non-existent pockets to text the brunette. 

 

The Poseidon-like lady, once a fierce redhead lioness, now carried a goddess-like grace, which faded greatly when she was worried about her friend. And worried she was, thinking back to last week. That was, she supposed, when she should have started seeing the signs. Yongsun was much happier, much more energetic than usual throughout the whole week, as if she was trying to compensate for something else.

 

Then just yesterday, Yongsun skipped class for the first ever time. Hyejin sneakily sent a text in concern then, and grabbed a fistful of freshly dyed sea-blue hair with angry confusion when she received a reply: “Tired.”

 

Tired? Hyejin almost wanted to shout out loud, in front of the lecturer and the rest of her peers, so disbelieving that of all people, Yongsun, the ever-dedicated student who attended class even when she was down with a high fever, was actually tired. Of class? Definitely not, especially when the girl was just scribbling down an immeasurable number of lyrics with great fervour just a few weeks ago, proclaiming her love for a certain someone. (Name not actually stated in her songs, of course.)

 

Which just meant one thing: Something happened between Yongsun and Byulyi. And Hyejin didn’t think that it was a favourable development in the slightest.

 

She frowned now, in front of Yongsun’s house, resisting a great urge to smash this delicate frosted glass door that stood between her and the corridor to her final destination. Her phone was still unresponsively silent, and she wanted to hurl it at someone. An access card appeared from behind her just then, and she heard a voice, all worn out.

 

“Oh, Hyejin. Thank goodness.”

 

Yonghee, Yongsun’s older sister, trailed fingers through her chocolate tresses of hair, and her face was exhausted and wan. She shuffled past Hyejin to lean on the glass door and push it open, nearly toppling over onto the floor, if not for the short-haired girl’s quick reflex to grab her arm.

 

“Yonghee-unnie, are you okay?” The working woman was one of the few people Hyejin truly admired, and therefore distressed her greatly when she noted the dark rings that drooped low from Yonghee’s eyes. “What’s wrong? Is it Yongsun-unnie?”

 

“Gods, Hyejin, she’s so depressed, and she refuses to eat, except for small nibbles here and there. It’s just so painful to see, you know. With this and the stall… Oh gods, the stall…” Yonghee managed to stagger along the corridor to her apartment door, and leaned on it, burying her face in her hands. It pained Hyejin to see this woman, always so confident and strong standing before obstacles, break down in this way.

 

“Here, let me open that door,” Hyejin offered, gently extracting the keys from where they dangled from between Yonghee’s fingers. Unlocking the door and pushing it open, she helped Yonghee into the apartment, where she proceeded to flop onto the nearby bed with a loud groan. 

 

Hyejin, quite familiar with the layout of the apartment after having visited a couple of times,  rushed to the kitchen to get Yonghee a refreshing cup of water and a couple of washed fruits to re-energise.

 

Pointing to one of the two doors that stood inside the one-bedroom apartment, Yonghee said: “She’s in there, still. She was like this since last week, coming home after class and just locking herself in her room.” 

 

Before the younger woman could even start to take a step towards the closed door, Yongsun stepped out from her bedroom. “Oh, Hyejin-ie!” She smiled a wide smile, her lips thinning out in an attempt to appear cheery. Hyejin wasn’t having any of it, and grabbed Yongsun’s wrist firmly.

 

“Yonghee-unnie, I’m taking her out.”

 

************************************************

 

The two girls sat in the campus café in the same corner as before, almost exactly mirroring the last time that the both of them were in this building together. This time, however, Hyejin only allowed Yongsun the luxury of a cold cup of water; she didn’t think that Yongsun should be handling any hot liquids with her current condition. In front of herself was a large cup of java. Gods know I’ll need it, she thought to herself, and waited until the older woman sitting opposite her stopped fidgeting in her seat.

 

“Tell me everything.” Hyejin’s statement was vocalised as an order, direct and commanding, but her tone was one of motherly concern. And it was that exact expression that opened the floodgates to Yongsun’s tear ducts as she recounted the incident, and in particular, Byulyi’s interest in Krystal.

 

Hyejin pushed the cup of water towards Yongsun, and the long-haired brunette shakily brought the cup to her lips to rehydrate, giving her friend some time to go through the current situation in her head.

 

I suppose planting the idea that Moon Byulyi liked Yongsun-unnie in her head was perhaps my fault, and Wheein’s, she mulled. But the signs were there, and I’m still pretty certain that Byulyi probably does like Yongsun-unnie, at least a little bit. But right now… She snuck a peek at Yongsun, who was dabbing at the tear-filled corners of her eyes with a tissue and wiping her runny nose on her sleeve.

 

Ew, gross. She thought about Yonghee as well, resting at home tiredly, and came to a decision.

 

“Yongsun-unnie, I think you and Yonghee-unnie need some rest, and some sister-bonding time. You should go freshen up, maybe wash your face a bit, so you don’t worry her.” Hyejin threw a thumb towards the toilets, and Yongsun trudged slowly in that direction, almost as mentally exhausted as her sister, and not really registering anything.

 

While she was in the washroom, Hyejin grabbed her phone and quickly dialled a number for help. “Wheein-ah,” she hurriedly said when her girlfriend picked up the phone.

 

“We need an intervention.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

_____________________________________________________________

 

a/n:

i have SO MANY STORY IDEAS IN MY HEAD AHHHHHHH *implodes*

and out of curiousity, what other pairings from girl groups do you like? for example, reigning gheys TaeNy ;)

also i didn't actually expect irl byul to say that she'd marry krystal (it was bound to happen, but for the timing to coincide with the byul in this fic... lul oops

 

p.s. come follow me on twitter @ashensprites if you want to. i just retweet cute kpop girls and their ghey shenanigans ^^