CHAPTER 3 - OLD DORMITORY

Autumn Souls

Chapter 3

Ren didn’t know where Yuu went to. He understands why Yuu acted like that to Saki. If Ren was on the same shoes as him, he will definitely felt the same.

Ren searched around the school premises, but no one saw him. Ren walked at the farther side of the school wherein the old dormitory was located. He felt a sudden shiver on his spines. The old dormitory was known for some paranormal stories among the students of ECA. Some said that there was a ghost of a girl among their age wandered during evening.

“Yuu’s not there.” Ren thought.

But there was something that urged Ren to check it. He slowly entered the abandoned building. Soft creaks from the wooden floor broke the silent atmosphere. Ren felt all his skin hair rose to its end as he felt the cold temperature lingering around the vicinity.

“Y-Y-Yuu?” There was streak of fear on his voice as he called Yuu’s name.

Ren walked towards the hallway and checked all the rooms. The dusty floor creaked every time his feet pressed on it, giving him a warning that anytime he could make a hole on it. Damp scent filled his nose. Broken closet, chairs and tables were gathered everywhere as if there was a riot happened before. White silk made by 8-legged creatures were sticked on every corner of each room. Heavy  feeling of recollection about the past lingered around him, feeling  of someone’s watching every step he made.

He found himself on a room with an opened door. Making his way in, he saw a life size painting of a girl displayed on the wall. Eyeing every details of it , Ren couldn't stop to mesmerize at the beautiful creature standing in front of him. ‘She’s a beauty.’ Those beautiful black pearls eyeing on him showing innocence, those strands of black and silky hair that wanted him to intertwined on his fingers, those pinkish-perfect lips as if tempting him to press his lips upon hers and those cheeks with a hue of carnation complimenting her creamy skin that shows aliveness. Her mere presence on the painting  made Ren hypnotized as he submerged himself on hers. Strange feeling enveloped him as he sensed familiarity about her. He had a feeling that they already met each other but he his brain officers couldn’t seem to find her profile.

‘I wonder who is she?’

His hands voluntarily raised to touch the wonderful masterpiece when the white satin that partially covered it  suddenly razed in front of him.

“WHAT THE F***!”

He cursed and dashed outside that building. With a shocked and pale face, he leaned on the nearby tree to catch his breath. His heartbeat was pumping hard as if there was an ongoing race currently happening inside him.

‘What’s with this building?! It's freaking me out!’

When Ren already calmed, he glanced again at the old structure. Image of that girl played on his mind. He has a feeling that he already met her. Maybe she’s a former student of ECA?  

When the school bell head out, Ren decided to get back on their class, guessing that Yuu was already there. There is a  0% chance that Yuu will come to that old dormitory. He’s an idiot for scaring himself in exploring the old architecture. With a last glance, he left with a question on his mind.

‘Who is she?’

...+...

Meanwhile inside the old dormitory...

A girl wearing ECA’s uniform scooped the bracelet dropped by the guy a while ago. She stood up to face her own reflection in front of her. It was the painting that Ren discovered.

She laughed upon remembering the face of the scaredy cat that caught on her prank.

What a huge coward!’ she thought.

Her laugh turned into tears while gazing at the beautiful masterpiece leaning on the dusty wall. Ryuu...

That painting was done by her fiancée. She bitterly smiled while reminiscing their past together. She missed Ryuu so much. Ever since that incident happened , he stopped visiting her in their meeting place, that happened to be the old dormitory.

‘If only that incident didn’t happened, maybe we’re already married.’ She thought.

Her chest tightened and another batch of tears are starting to flow from her eyes.

‘No ! This is not the time to cry.’

She clutched the bracelet in her hands. ‘I will find Ryuu and that scaredy cat will be the one to help me.’

…+...

The class already ended and no signs of Yuu were seen in the classroom. Ren thought that he already skipped classes because of Saki’s doing.

“Yuu is mad for sure.” Ryo said.

“Probably.” Ren gave a second to Ryo’s statement.

Both of them eyed on Saki who was busy packing her things. She felt the cold stares of her comrades and met their eyes.

“He’s over acting!” Saki defended.

“You know him, you can about anything but not with girls.” Ren answered.

Ryo patted Saki’s head. “You should apologized Saki-chan. You hurt his feelings by making him to do that. For he will only kiss you more than anyone else.” With a meaningful eyes, he winked at her.

Saki blushed. “W-W-What do you mean?!”

Ryo laughed and messed Saki’s hair. “It’s for you to find out.”

“You’re a slow.” Ren also commented and gave a slight pat to Saki’s shoulder. “I better keep going.”

Before Ren reached the door, Saki’s hand grabbed his arm. “What?”

“Where do you think you’re going?” She asked, a sly smile pasted on her lips.

He felt a sudden nervous. “I-I’m going home already.”

Ryo’s arm suddenly put pressure on his shoulders. “Ren, Ren, Ren, you’re no fun at all.”

‘This is bad, they will not stop pestering me until I tag along with them at their ghost hunting.’  Ren thought.

“You should hang out with us today! It’s gonna be fun.” Saki grinned.

“No.”

“Are you scared?” Ryo teased.

“No.”

“Then it’s settled.”

“Stop it guys. If you have time for your fun activity, why don’t you check out on Yuu first?” Ren said with a trace of irritation on his voice.

“How will your fear disappear if you’re not going to try?” She asked.

“It will not disappear Saki. That’s why , please stop dragging me on your nonsense schemes.” Ren released his arms on Saki’s grip.

“Bro, come on. Please join us. Will you let Saki to take advantage of me when she got scared? You didn’t know how she almost killed me the last time we did a ghost hunting!” Ryo freaked out.

“Oi Ryo !” Saki gave her a warning shot.

“You’re a guy right? Then you can handle her.” Ren grinned put his hand on Ryo’s shoulder.

His eyes widened when he noticed that his bracelet was missing.

“Sh*t.” Ren cursed then check his bag and pants, but to his dismay it was not there.

What if I dropped it there? No! I don’t want to set a foot again on that haunted building!

“Ren? Is there something wrong?” Saki asked.

“I need to go.” Ren didn’t answered her question and dashed to find his missing bracelet.

Ren searched all the possible places where he dropped it, but to his disappointment, no traces of it were found. The only place he was not yet visited was the old dormitory. It is already 7:00 in the evening. He shivered on his spines when the thought of setting his foot again on that building came to his mind. He didn’t have any choice. He needs to find that bracelet. It was an important remembrance from Haru. He already lost her, he couldn’t take it if the only thing that reminds him of her was gone.

Ren took a deep breath then made his way at the old dormitory.

Cold wind hugged his whole body as he peaked at the entrance of that creepy building. And again, his heart made big thumps on his chest. ‘Scary.’ He was just standing at the entrance for a few minutes.

“Boooo!”

“WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH ! MAMA!!!!” He jumped out of surprised and hid himself on the nearby post when somebody tapped his shoulder and spoke.

Laughters filled the spooky atmosphere.

“HAHAH ! WTF Ren!” He heard the voice of two familiar person he knew and decided to show himself.

“Saki! Ryo! What the heck are you doing ?!” Angered strike as he watched Saki and Ryo laughing hard.

Saki straightened and cough to composure herself. Ryo also did the same. They both gave a serious face to Ren.

“W-What?”

Saki tapped him. “Sorry Ren but we couldn’t take it any longer.”

“What the heck are you saying?”

To his surprise, the both of them suddenly laughed again. Tears formed at Saki’s eyes. She even hit Ren’s arm.

“Your face is epic!” She said.

Ren’s face went red. His patience meter already snapped. Dark aura was already starting to emit on his body. “Saki”.

“What?” Still enjoying her laughters.

Ren suddenly grabbed Saki’s arm and pinned her on the post behind. She suddenly stopped and felt a sudden threat upon meeting Ren’s eyes. He’s already on the verged of his anger. Ryo also stopped and keep silent.

Ren’s grip tighten causing Saki to winced in pain. “Ouch Ren! I’m hurting.”

“Hey Ren, stop it.” Ryo interfere trying to release Saki’s arm on his grip.

Ren somehow calm down and released her. “Sorry. I didn’t mean to.”

Saki and Ryo looked at each other. They both bowed their heads to him. “Gomen Ren, its our fault. We shouldn’t frightened you.”

“It’s okay. Sorry.”

Few seconds of silence lingered the atmosphere between them.

“By the way, why are you here? I thought you already went home.” Ryo asked.

Saki’s lips drew a wide smile. “Ren, if you really want to join us, you should tell it.”

“No! It’s not that !”

“You already went here?” (Saki)

“Uh.. yes. When I tried to find Yuu.”

“Since you’re here, why don’t you tagged along with us?” Ryo offered. “We have flashlights.”

‘They both had flashlights. It’s easier than the my phone’s light.’ Ren thought.

“Let me borrowed one.” Ren answered.

“Why?”

“I’m going to find something important.”

The two grinned.

“W-WHat?”

“We can help you. But in one condition.”

Ren’s eyes squint upon hearing Saki’s statement. “You’re plotting something.”

She smiled. “You knew me well Ren. Haha. Anyway, we will help you but you will tag us along. We will be the one to hold the flashlights and will lead the directions.”

“WHat?! Look I don’t have any time for this.”

Ryo waved the flashlight as if tempting him to just accept Saki’s offer.

They were looking at him in a you-have-no-other-choice look.

‘I don’t have any other choice. I really need to find that bracelet.’

“Fine. I give up. I’ll tagged with you guys. But I’ll find first my bracelet.” He declared and let out a sigh of frustration.

“Don’t tell me the one that Haru give?” Saki asked. All of them have one.

“Yes.”

“Okay , I understand. Let’s go. Let the adventure begins!” Saki exclaimed.

“YOSHAAAA!” Ryo seconded and lead their way.

While they were roaming around the old dormitory, the level of fear Ren felt were gradually increasing. His hands were sweating. His heartbeat raced even more, pounding his chest really hard. His skin hair were stood up to its ends.

“You’re not even lighting the way how can I find my bracelet?!” Ren was pissed when he saw that both of them were not actually lighting the hall they were walking, instead , they focused the lights on the walls and ceilings, trying to find something interesting.

“Shhh! Quiet!” Ryo hushed.

“Eeeek!” Saki suddenly squealed when she saw something on the open room in front of her. She suddenly grabbed Ren’s arm and hid behind his back.

“You know what Ren, there is a rumor around here. There’s a girl wearing our school uniform that wandered here during night.” Ryo said while flashing the lights on that open door direction.

Ren gulped as Saki tighten her grip on his arms. ‘Is she scared? She’s the one who proposed to do this and now she’s already sulking on my back?’

Ryo looked at his watch. It is already 7:30 in the evening.

 

They entered the room with an open door. It was the same room where Ren found the painting. He grabbed Ryo’s flashlight and lightened the room. Saki and Ryo followed him.

“Ren? What’s wrong?” Saki asked.

“Wow. She’s pretty.” Ryo exclaimed as he saw the painting leaned on the wall. Saki also joined him as Ren was trying to find his bracelet.

“Who is she?” Saki asked.

“I dunno. Kyaaaa, I think I’m falling for her.” Ryo declared as he drooled over the painting. Saki just hit his head.

“Baka!”

The two were busy arguing with each other while Ren was desperately looking for his lost bracelet. After a few minutes, he gave up.

“Ren, let’s go! It’s already time.” Ryo announced that let Ren sighed with frustration.

Saki just tapped his shoulders to at least comfort him. “Its okay, we will find it tomorrow.”

Their adventure ended that day, but Ren was still experiencing anxiety because of what happened.

…+...

The next morning, Ren decided to go to school early. He went straight to the old dormitory where the painting was. He didn’t know what has gotten to him, but his inner mind told him that his bracelet were probably there.

The beautiful creature welcomed his eyes again. He’s still amaze on how beautiful she is.

“I am going to melt if you continued to stare at me like that.”

Ren jolted when a sweet voice came from behind. He turned and saw a girl wearing a ECA uniform in front of him.

She’s way too familiar.  Ren thought and exchange his gaze with the painting and to her.

“AH!!” He pointed out a finger. “You’re the girl from the painting!”

A sweet smile drew on her lips. She stood in a close range distance. Ren gulped.

‘She’s really beautiful in person. Though she’s kinda pale unlike in the painting.’

Ren was surprised when she grabbed his hand and opened his palm. “You dropped this.”

He felt something brushed on his hand. When she released it, a black thread was lying on his palm.

“WOAH! Thank you very much!” Ren exclaimed with happiness as he recognized his own bracelet.

“You dropped it here yesterday. I was here and saw it. I was about to return it but you already dashed out.”

“You’re also here?”

“Yes.”

“How come? I didn’t saw you.”

She walked towards the painting and felt the cold presence of it on her hand. Her fingers slowly caressed every single detail of it.

“Anou--”

“I was visiting this painting. It’s a gift from a special someone.” She cut-off his sentence. Loneliness were heard on her voice.

“Ah, is that so? Why is it here? Why don’t you just bring it on your place?” Ren curiously asked.

Instead of answering his question, she faced him and smile widely. She reached her hands to him. “My name is Mia Shida. Nice to meet you.”

“H-Huh?!” He looked at her curiously. She just smiled.

“Ahh, nice to meet you too, Shida-san.” He accepted her offered. Her hands were cold. “What year are you in? Its the first time I see you here.”

This beauty should be known to his range or Ryo’s. They knew every pretty girl in the school, especially Ryo who is known as a chic hunter.

“3rd year.”

“Eh? Maji? I’m also a 3rd year! What class?”

“D. Wait, why are you asking so many questions? Am I your type?” Now she’s teasing him.

“W-WHat?! O-Of course not! Its the first time we meet.” Ren blushed as he denied her accusations.

“Honto? Then why are you staring at me like a ert yesterday?” She grinned and move closer to him. Their faces were only a few centimeters away. Ren could smell her scent. A sweet scent that gave chills on his bones. He looked at the close view of her face. She’s too perfect, except for her presence. He didn’t know the right word but, she’s kinda creepy.

“I always stay here. It’s peaceful.” She said and pull out from their close distance. Ren sighed in relief. She walked around the room. The room was kinda big. Dry leaves were scattered around the place because of the tree in front of the window. Cracked teacups, plates and vases were peacefully lying on the table. Bed and sofas were already filled with springs that stretched out from its inner body. The only thing that were remained in good condition was the painting leaning on the wall.

“Eh? Here? But why? Don’t you feel scared?”

“Of course not.”

“But it is haunted. They said that there is a ghost of a girl wandered around here. It is believe that she’s a student of ECA.”

She laughed. Her laughters were like a sweet melody on his ears.

“Its just a rumor!”

“Don’t laugh at me!”

She stopped and looked at him seriously. He creeped out. ‘What’s wrong with her? She suddenly changes her mood.’

“Do you believe in ghost?” With a serious look, she asked him.

“H-H-Ha?” Ren stuttered. He suddenly felt uncomfortable.

She stared at him for a few seconds before she smiled again. “Its just a rumor. I proved it already.”

Ren sighed in relief.

The bell already rang.

“Come on. Classes will start.” Ren said.

“You can go ahead first. I still need to do some things here.” She answered.

“Eh? But--”

“You can leave now. I’ll follow you shortly.”

Ren just nod. “By the way , thank you for finding my bracelet.”

“No problem! It will help us both in the future.”

Ren didn’t get what she’s saying but the sound of the bell really reminding him that he needed to get his out of that place or else, his teacher will punished him for sure.

He dashed out of the building. Before leaving, he glanced once again on the window where she was just standing. She waved at him and he responded also, before totally leaving that area.

---

 

AN:

 And I'm back ! Sorry for the late posting. T^T

Sorry also for the grammar errors, I didn't check it yet haha.

Hope you like it!