Chapter 14

What If
Chapter 14

In school:

Donghae's POV

As soon as I entered the school, I spotted Yoomin almost immediately. I ran up to her, closing the distance between us. I tapped her on the shoulder and slinged my arm over her and walked towards the Businness School building. I noticed a few ones who stared at us as we passed by, yet that did not deter me. I simply continued walking with her.

Yoomin then cleared and turned her head to face me. Her facial expression blank, lacking in feelings.

"When were we close?"

I was taken aback by her words. My arm slowly slid off her shoulders and dropped to my side. The smile within me slowly diminished and I found myself walking silently beside her.

When were we close? Her words rang repeatedly in my mind. Aren't we close? I mean we are right?

I noticed her picking up speed and was soon an arm ahead of me. I watched her as she soon walked away from me. I did not give chase or tried to catch up. I couldn't. I stopped walking in the middle of the corridor.

I watched her retreating figure in a distance, retracing all my thoughts to when we first met at the cinema.

Yoomin's POV

His right arm slid off my shoulders, dropping it back to his side. Somehow, something felt wrong. I stole a glance at him as we walked down the corridor. His gaze, however, was nowhere near me, transfixed on the patterns made by the tiles on the floor.   His brown hair then fell to conceal part of his face. Despite having his har shield his face from my side glances, the look on his face was clear and vivid, engraved in my mind.

Yoomin-ah! What have you done? I mentally screamed at myself. I wanted to tug at my hair at both sides in frustration.

I stole a glance at him again. This time, I felt a strong urge to brush away his brown hair that covered his face and hug him right there. I wanted to retract the words that came out of my mouth, wishing I could turn back time.

I did not expect this reaction from him. I thought he would be his persistent self and nor care about the senseless thing I said.

Yoomin, how could you say that to him? I gritted my teeth in annoyance. I could not bear to look at him again, with that sadness so evident on him. Only if I could take that sadness from him...but only if I... I cannot do this. I cannot. I shook my head and picked up pace, trying to stay as far away from him as possible.

Deep within me, I willed him to follow and try to speed up as well. But he never did. I couldn't slow down now. I was quite a distance from him already yet he never gave chase or tried to at least catch up with me. I don't like this. I don't like this.

He stopped. He was no longer behind me. Donghae, where are you...?

As a tear threatened to escape my eyes, I broke into a run as I rounded the corner.

During Tort Class:

Yoomin's POV

He sat quietly beside me. No smile. No hello. No arm-touching. No teasing. No glance. Nothing. It feels like as if I'm  not sitting with someone.

I don't like it.

BECAUSE WHY CAN'T YOU JUST APOLOGIZE YOOMIN??

The bell rang for lunch. I was about to turn to my left to ask him what he wanted to have for lunch, or whatever conversation starter I could possibly think of, when I was met with an empty chair.

He left.

Jiyoo tapped my arm and asked me what I would have for lunch. But I ignored her and walked out of the classroom in a daze. With full of regret for the words I know I can never take back.

*******************************************

Thanks so much to all readers!! Please do comment and subscribe:) hope you like this update!!:):)