Chapter 15

What If

Japanese lesson:

Yoomin's POV

A week ago I would have squealed at the chance to be partnered and to sit two hours beside Lee Sungmin, the school's number one most popular dude. But right now, all I ever want is to stay away from this heck of a dude and quit Japanese class.

For the past an hour and a half in class, we were made to converse in Japanese to our partners about a topic given to us by Ms Ukiro. It so happens that Lee Sungmin and I were picked to do the topic "Crushes and Love".

Trust Ms Ukiro to pick a topic. Ms Ukiro is probably around her forties but is single. Despite seemingly inexperienced in the love game, she was one to choose cheesy lovey-dovey topics like this. Sungmin's bestfriend, Ryeowook, who happens to partner a girl from Engineering school, were picked to discuss the topic "". There was none more embarrassing than any topic. But that did not make our topic any easier.

"Ichini ichi-chi-" I stammered, trying my best to remember that phrase I read just a while ago.

"Go. Ichini ichigo (once in a lifetime)," he corrected, chin resting on his palm, a look of boredom clearly evident in his face.

I scowled and mouthed 'I know'. On the other table, I saw Ryeowook's partner blushed when she had to say the word "Ninshin" which meant "pregnant".

He smirked and nodded for me to continue. Seriously how much arrogant can he get? Gosh, I should have been more specific when I prayed to God to pair me up with someone good in Japanese language and should have added that the person must not be an arrogant jerk! Scratch that, I don't mind anyone as long as it's not Lee Sungmin.

I fiddled with my pen, occasionally taking down the words I had problems remembering. Okay fine, I should give him a little credit for being quite a good help in my Japanese, I've actually learnt quite a handful of good phrases.

 

BUT THAT DOESN'T GIVE HIM THE RIGHT TO BE SUPER ARROGANT!

Sigh, like as if the day was not bad enough with Donghae's silence.

Writing on my paper, I nearly poked a hole through it in my irritation. He raised one eyebrow at me. I gave him a sarcastic smile and turned to my notes again, and occasionally trying to add onto what we were discussion about.

Soon the bell rang for dismissal and I quickly packed my stuff and shove them in my bag and left the classroom without another word.

Seonhee's POV

I walked side by side with Eunhyuk, who walked at about a ruler away from me. I slid my hands into my jeans pocket as we walked along. Classes weren't until 3pm and we were walking towards the cafeteria for lunch.

Silence filled us as we walked down the corridor. There were people around us, who were moving from one class to another, bothering their own business. I blushed at the mere thought of what he did this morning infront of my classmates who gaped at our public display of affection in the middle of the corridor.

Eunhyuk then began whistling and moved closer to me and slid his arms through mine, pulling my left hand out of my pocket. I felt my heart skip a beat and I my pulse quickened. I think he felt my heartbeat race because when I turned to look at him, he chuckled and grinned from ear to ear. Sliding his hands to mine, he intertwined his fingers with mine and gave my hand a soft squeeze.

Smile broke from my face and I did not at all try to hide it. We held hands as we entered the partially filled cafeteria. As I plopped down next to Eunhyuk on the bench, I noticed the very flustered Yoomin who was sitting opposite me. Her brows were knotted and she was digging in her bag in search for something.

"," she cursed and dumped back into her bags her notebooks an pencilcase which she took out and placed on the table.

"You okay?"

She shook her head without sparing me a second glance.

"," she cursed again, before standing up and running out of the cafeteria, leaving all five eyes staring at her in bewilderment.

Yoomin's POV

, I mentally cursed, reprimanding myself for leaving my most prized possession in class. MY IPOD TOUCH!

I remembered that the last time I saw it was on my desk in Japanese class. I brisk walked towards the staircase and took the steps in two and ran up to the second floor. I crossed my fingers and prayed that no one had taken it.

But before I reached the room, I was met with a very familiar smirk from a very much hated person.

Lee Sungmin. What is he doing here?

He smirked as I approached and was twirling something around his hand which I came to realize was my iPod touch.

Now that explains the smug look on his face.

"Looking for something?" he asked, a smirk pasted on his face. I frowned at him and growled, "Give. It. Back."

He snickered and snapped, "What if I don't want to?"

I tried to grab it from him but he stretched his arms up high. I tried jumping for it but failed.

I stopped jumping and reaching and fisted my hands and yelled, " LEE SUNGMIN!"

He laughed his jerk laugh and snickered at me. Annoyance getting the better of me, I swung at him with my fist, which was all TOO happy to make contact with his 'precious' face to remove that smug look.

He, though, alert enough, jerked backwards, causing me to miss him by inches.

Unfortunately for me, I lost my balance and slipped. I squeezed my eyes in fright. Then I was falling...

I was falling and ...

I did not fall. I opened my eyes by a bit only to get the biggest shock of my life.

He held me on my back, preventing my fall and his face loomed just above mine. And we remained like that for a close 20 seconds.

I had almost forgot to breathe. He, on his part, never made an attempt to pull me up from our heart-stopping position. His gaze was different and it was something very much unfamiliar. Almost like as if, it never occurred, his face switched back to his smug look that I know only too well.

He pulled me up and laughed while I blushed and guide my stare to the floor.

"Here's your iPod," he started and handed me my iPod touch. "Don't lose it again. Not everyone is like me."

And with that he walked off, leaving me to wonder what the heck had just happened.