Chapter 73

Youngest of Pieces: World Invasion (12)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Manager Lee Ji Young has just arrived in Tokyo to take care of the ladies during their weekend stay. It’s not even three days he will be here before he will go back to Korea and they will go back to Europe for their tour. Three days feels enough though; that’s what goes through his head when he arrives on the set for 5 Pieces’ [Star] video shoot. It is Friday, so the shooting is almost done, yet Manager Lee wonders if 5 Pieces have moved even an meter from where they are right now.

What he sees is five ladies sit in the sofa together, completely knocked out. It is a late dinner break but for the ladies who just got adjusted to the European time, it is over midnight already. And they have been working hard on the video, taking turns in front of the camera, practicing the song when not being filmed and so on. In full makeup (dark eyes and styled hairs) the ladies look like a group of animals, comfortably sleeping closely together. Hannah is sitting in one corner of the sofa, facing the others on her left and hugging on to that teddy bear she received in Dublin. Sitting next to her is Emelia, with feet on a chair and arms crossed over her chest, looking like she doesn’t lose her cool even when being asleep. Carolina is in the middle, head leaned back with jaw dropped for to be open wide, two pink blankets are covering most of her as well as one of Maria’s legs. It is Julia who sits next to Carolina though, with Maria’s leg over her. Julia is leaning on Carolina, her face not seen because of the neck pillow she is wearing and though she has a weird turn on her body to face Carolina while still sitting correctly, it looks weirdly comfortable. Maria is leaning back at the end of the sofa, one leg stuck under Julia’s arm and the other resting over two of her friends while her upper body is about to fall next to the backseat, making her back bend over the armrest a little. The reason she is falling to the side is that her arm is held up for her hand to reach down her neck, looking like she has been stretching her back or maybe scratching her neck when falling asleep in that position.

The sight is hilarious, Manager Lee thinks. They are the quietest they can be yet they still make people notice them, just by sleeping. He takes a picture of it, imagining five different reactions when he will show this to them later.

He has greeted the staff already so for now, he just has to wait for the shooting to end. Taking a seat in the dressing-room, it doesn’t take long until a Japanese stylist leans over to slightly caress Carolina’s leg.

“Please get ready now,” the stylist whispers.

While Carolina starts stretching, yawning tiredly when waking up, Hannah too opens her eyes. Just a little, glancing around to see what is going on. Just as she blinks to go back to sleep, she spots Manager Lee sit on a chair by himself. It doesn’t stop her to go back to sleep.

Carolina makes Emelia groan when getting up. Julia falls down to lie her head comfortably where Carolina sat, not really waking up. Emelia leans her head a bit to the side, touching Hannah’s.

“Tired?” Manager Lee asks Carolina with a smile. The lady gets to take a seat by the makeup table for the stylist to give a touch on her look.

“So tired,” Carolina mutters, responding better in Korean than in Japanese.

The Japanese stylists says in Japanese that Carolina should try to wake up a bit before she has to film and Manager Lee enters the conversation when asking if there is any sugar around here. Carolina looks like a question-mark, mostly because her Japanese isn’t good so she isn’t sure if he is asking for tea or if he is telling them that his foot hurts. It’s all confusing for her; the lady who can speak the basic in many languages but still does not manage to speak Japanese.

“There is candy on the table behind you,” Emelia comments in Japanese, not evening opening her eyes.

Manager Lee looks behind him and the stylist glances over too, seeing the table that has water, soda, candy and some bags of gifted snacks.

“Do you ever really sleep, Emelia?” Manager Lee jokes, now too speaking Japanese as the stylist is listening and no one else is. Hannah’s head moves when silently laughing and Emelia smirks.

By the time Carolina heads out to film, Hannah is on her feet to wake up as she is filming after Carolina. One by one they wake up, some not waking up easily.

Manager Lee shows them the photo he took, laughing evilly at Julia and Carolina’s terrified reactions, laughing more at Maria whose laugh sounds like his and he turns a bit disappointed when Emelia asks of him to send it to her. He expected their reactions so he shouldn’t be disappointed because he knew Emelia would like it; since she looks alright and the others are either weird or cute. Yet he had hoped she would react a bit funnier to him.

Following the music video filming, they head to take pictures for the single cover. It takes a few hours, meaning they are done around three in the morning. After that, it is just to go to the hotel and sleep before their concert with SMTOWN.

After Emelia had gotten the picture of the ladies sleeping from their manager, she puts it up on their blog. Proud over the result, she shows it to the other ladies when they are heading to the hotel. The blog update with the picture is explained simply “our manager caught a good moment during break, don’t you agree?”

At the hotel, she shares room with Hannah again. The two of them had planned to continue working on the music like at the flight, which won’t happen tonight as they are too tired for it but they might have time next night. In bed, Emelia mumbles that their blog is flooded with comments, fans showing their love to how 5 Pieces are the same as always and also wishing for them to take care of themselves.

Some had commented on the teddy bear in Hannah’s arms, pointing out that it is the same she got from a fan. A video of Emelia giving the teddy bear to Hannah went viral, the story of how 5 Pieces’ manager said ‘no gifts’ but Emelia, as the rebel she is, took it when he wasn’t watching. Fans have been praising her online to the video, funnily writing ‘EM the saviour’ and ‘Hannah is too pure that only the rebellious EM can save her’. One fan had even written about how childish they are; how big it gets online that Emelia gave Hannah a fan’s teddy bear. It’s cute, their fans think. From that video, fans have added a picture from the airport in Japan; Hannah standing with it in her arms. Now, a picture of her sleeping in the sofa with it has surfaced as well. Fans are loving it when putting the pictures together, spreading it around online that Hannah might be married and y on the stage but she is just the baby of SM as she always has been. And Emelia is the cool one who does whatever she wants; like always.

Five hours later, the ladies are back in a sofa. This time in the dressing-room at Tokyo Dome. At least Maria and Hannah are back in a sofa, half asleep and with headaches lurking at the back of their heads. Just like yesterday, the one among them who is awake and alert is Manager Lee

Hannah sits similar to how she had sat yesterday in the sofa when all five of them got some rest. She finds it comfortable sitting on the side in the sofa, without shoes she rests her legs and feet on the seat and her shoulder lean comfortably against the backrest as well as her head. Maria sits at the other end, both wanting an armrest to lean on. Maria uses it as a pillow while Hannah has her back against the other. Carolina has been lingering by the vans, meeting the members of Red Velvet who also arrive for rehearsals. Both Julia and Emelia just took a glance inside the dressing-room before continuing, deciding to go see the stage and to see who else has arrived among their friends.

Apparently there isn’t a lot of people there yet, some at the airport still while others are coming from the hotel. It means Hannah and Maria can get some time to rest. Hannah’s head is pounding lightly from the strange sleeping pattern these days, her head is heavy and tired yet she is still hugging on to the teddy bear in her arms when slowly feeling herself drift into sleep.

“Did you have a rough couple of days?” someone asks by the door when stepping inside.

“The ladies are exhausted,” Manager Lee answers with a smile. “Oh, and headaches.”

He points at the two ladies in the sofa, receiving an understandable nod from Jonghyun who naturally walks inside to take a seat next to Hannah. He is wearing a black cap, white long-sleeve tee and a black mask is going from his ears to under his chin. Even Manager Lee is looking amused seeing Jonghyun lower his head to look at Hannah, but she doesn’t move a muscle, maybe even asleep.

“What’s this?” Jonghyun wonders and puts a hand on the teddy bear. He smiles up at Hannah’s manager who gives out a sound.

“According to Emelia, it is her new obsession,” Manager Lee answers.

“I wouldn’t say it’s new though,” Jonghyun chuckles, patting the teddy bear while looking back on Hannah’s face. She is not reacting at all.

Manager Lee takes a seat by the table, turning his chair around to look at Jonghyun. “Yeah, about that, where does it come from? Do you know?” he wonders.

“The obsession?”

“Yeah, where her obsession about teddy bears come from? Fans give her these toys and she becomes a child every time. Really weird.”

Jonghyun keeps smiling at his wife though, love shown in his eyes. Her face is relaxed when she is sleeping. “I think someone gave her a teddy bear once and fans liked her reaction.” He bites his lip to not give out a sound when Hannah moves her shoulder, looking like she is going to hug the backrest, but instead she glides along the backrest until she can put her arms around Jonghyun’s and lean forward against his shoulder.

“You’re awake?” Jonghyun whispers, not sure if he can move or not based on if she is sleeping or not. She isn’t answering.

“It’s not a bother for you then?” Manager Lee wonders, still on the conversation; “With her obsession, I mean.”

“It’s not like our apartment is filled with teddy bears,” Jonghyun smiles.

“I can hear you,” Hannah mumbles against Jonghyun’s arm. “And it’s not an obsession.”

Jonghyun kisses her head knowing she is awake and Manager Lee tells her it should count as an obsession because she is still hugging that teddy bear.

“It’s kind of an obsession,” Jonghyun agrees and starts lowly laughing when feeling her finger poke his ribs.

Hannah sits up straight, her neck is hurting and her head is making her sleepy. “And for your information, a fan gave me a teddy bear back in 2008, and I kept it in my bag over the summer. Fans started giving me more after that.”

“And your reactions have absolutely nothing to do with it,” Jonghyun says in sarcasm in his voice, shaking his head at Manager Lee as they both are smiling. Hannah is pouting though, looking like a child with the teddy bear in her arms. They all know Hannah does become a child when receiving teddy bears by fans. Manager Lee has to leave the room because Jonghyun’s face is saying too much that he finds Hannah’s obsession cute; which Manager Lee can’t stand.

With the room only having the married couple and a sleeping Maria, Jonghyun can look at Hannah without restrains.

“Ji Young said you have a headache,” he comments, holding up his hand to touch her hair.

Hannah pouts at the comment. “It’s getter better,” she answers. Looking at his face she finds herself smiling after her answer, saying it out of habit to not make others worry but she should know by now; it doesn’t work. Jonghyun was just looking at her but she knew that he did not believe her answer.

“Maybe that one is giving you a headache,” Jonghyun points out the teddy bear and Hannah gapes at him.

“No.”

“See?” he starts laughing, pointing a finger at her. “Obsessed.”

She gives out a mix of a whine and a laugh when taking away his hand, Jonghyun happily laughing too as he takes the teddy bear from her to look at it closer. He doesn’t understand what she finds so fun with teddy bears.

“Just feel it,” Hannah explains and caresses the teddy bear’s back. Jonghyun just looks at her as if she is the weirdest person he’s ever met and Hannah is grimacing, taking it back. “It’s soft. And looks cute.”

“It’s a bit weird.”

Hannah sends out a disliking grimace at his comment but Jonghyun looks as loving as he usually does. Jonghyun raises his eyebrows when his eyes look away from her and Hannah follows his gaze to the door, where Taemin leans inside.

“They want us on stage,” Taemin announces, giving Hannah a wave as ‘hello’ and she waves back, hugging her teddy bear with the other hand.

“I’m on my way,” Jonghyun gives him a nod.

“No… Musketeer meeting,” Taemin says and points his finger at Hannah. “We’re a dancer short, it’s something we need to solve.”

Hannah leans back in the sofa with a low whine, Jonghyun is bursting out in a huge smile at her complaining sound and Taemin is tapping his fingers against the doorframe. “I thought he was here?” Hannah asks.

“You mean Jongin? Yeah, he’s here. but he’s not dancing. … Are you coming?” Taemin wants to know.

Kai got injured a while back, unable to dance and perform. Hannah had honestly completely forgotten about it, she is in the middle of a tour and now her head has been hurting and, yeah, she honestly cannot find a good excuse as to why she would forget it. She feels like a bad friend.

When Hannah is wondering whether she should go or stay in the sofa, Jonghyun gets on his feet, pulling her along with him; making the decision for her. Her head is still hurting but she lets Jonghyun guide her out. Minho’s voice is quickly loud down the hall, shouting out a ‘good morning Hannah!’

She turns around to wave her hand in a greeting, not being the kind of person who screams in the corridor like that but waving a hand is enough greeting. Jonghyun puts his arm around her when she faces the front again, his smile is big and loving once more as Hannah takes a hold of his hand on her shoulder, her grip firm yet soft.

Taemin has been walking in front of them, turning around to walk backwards. SHINee’s manager is walking next to him.

“Hannah, what do you think we’ll do with the performance? Are we going to throw Jongin off the stage and take his place or … maybe put him on a chair at the centre-?”

He bumps into someone (Kai), he turns around with an apology but when seeing who it is he just laugh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter