003

Blast from the Past

⏳⏳⏳

🚺🚺🚺

 

📞

 

We need you here for the orientation next month. Thank you for your time, Ms Jung.

 

📞

 

I hung up my voicemail box and stared at the wall.

I was supposed to meet Joshua and his bandmates next month but I’m told that I have to visit my school for orientation.

 

A knock at my door brought me out of my mini pity party.

I opened the door I couldn't believe it.

 

“Surprise!!!” They cheered.

 

“What… how…?”

 

“Aren't you gonna let us in Cali?” Joshua smirked.

 

I shook my head with a smile and opened the door wider for them to come in. They all shuffled in and I closed the door slowly. I turned around to face all of them standing awkwardly in my living room and looked for an explication.

 

“Ok from the beginning: how and why are you here? I was expecting you next month!”

 

“We were able to leave early!” Joshua smiled.

 

“I could've guessed that.” I mumbled.

 

“Ignoring the sarcasm, let me formally introduce you to my friends and groupmates.” Joshua grinned and took me by the shoulders, pointing me of his starting point.

 

Between me and Joshua’s calls and texts, I’d gotten acquainted with their names and faces.

 

“You’re prettier than the pictures hyung has.” Hoshi complemented, making me pink a bit.

 

“Yah don't make her feel awkward!” Joshua scolded.

 

“Let him be Joshua.” I shook my head. “Well since you’re all here now, make yourselves comfortable. Do you have a place to stay?”

 

“Uhm… so since we came early… we didn't make sleeping arrangements.” Joshua rubbed the back of his neck.

 

I chuckled. “Some things never change.” I shook my head. “Ok well I only have the office and guest room. I have sleeping bags and air mattresses so talk amongst yourselves and discuss who gets or wants what.”

 

It seemed like forever, but I finally rearranged the room to hold a decent amount of guys. I sighed when I finished and met them back in the living room.

 

“Where are your cousins? Or do they not live here anymore?” Joshua asked laying on the sofa.

 

“They do still live here. I’m the one moving remember?” I laughed.

 

“Right…” he mumbled.

 

“Anyhoo where are the guys?” I looked around the empty living room.

 

“The backyard. They like the idea of being in the States in the summertime.” He chuckled.

 

“Oh alright then. I’ll just call ‘em in and see what the situation is.”

 

🚹🚹🚹

 

I didn't like to remember that KiHae was moving further than she already was.

 

When she left, I got up and took a closer look at the pictures she had hung up.

There were a bunch of her and her family, and a few that made me smiled.

 

There was one from when we were in 3rd grade, I was doing a superhero pose and she was laughing.

 

Then there was another, of me and her maybe in 8th grade, sitting on a bench with ice cream, and her head was on my shoulder.

 

I remembered that day clearly.

 

We were at a picnic with our families.

I had just gotten news of being scouted by a korean entertainment company.

 

<<

 

“You have an amazing voice Joshua. You should go.” She nudged me with her shoulder.

 

“But I still have school.” I reasoned.

 

“I’m sure you’ll still be educated.” She chuckled.  “It’s not like they want stupid idols.”

 

“I’m not stupid!”

 

“You are if you don't take this opportunity.” She said softly.

 

“I don't know Cali. This is all I know.” He gestured to everything around us. “What if I’m not good enough.” I mumbled.

 

“Hey don't talk like that. You were scouted. Someone saw something in you and wanted to give you the opportunity of a lifetime.”

 

“But you have talent too.”

 

“Yeah, but I have a long way to go. My songs still sound very childish.” She shrugged. “But your voice can only be improved. It's amazing already.” She smiled.

 

I instantly warmed up. “You sure?”

 

She put her head on my shoulder. “Positive.”

 

And I guess at that moment someone took our picture.

I’m actually thankful that this was documented.

It marks the moment I think our friendship was at it's strongest.