002

Blast from the Past

🚺🚺🚺

 

And just like that he was here.

I didn't know what to do since it got slightly awkward.

 

“Oh auntie,” I remember why I left the kitchen in the first place. “how would you like your eggs?” I asked.

 

“Over medium dear. Thank you.” She smiled.

 

I nodded. “Joshua?” He looked at me confused. “Would you like eggs with your breakfast?”

 

“Oh uhm sure.” He rubbed the back of his neck, his go to gesture when he’s nervous. “Over medium too please.”

 

“Sure thing.” And with that I left the awkward atmosphere and started cooking.

 

I could hear clanking, so I assumed auntie was setting dishes in the dining room.

 

“Where’d you learn to cook?”

 

I gasped at the voice behind me.

 

Thank goodness I was able to flip an egg without breaking it.

 

“Sorry! I didn't mean to scare you Cali.”

 

This egg would have been a mess by now if it wasn't on a plate. “What?”

 

“What happened?”

 

“You called me Cali…” I mumbled.

 

“Well that was my nickname for you right?” He smiled.

 

I nodded. “I just didn't think you remembered.”

 

After that we got comfortable again, talking during breakfast and catching up.

 

🚹🚹🚹

 

“So I heard you came to my concert?” I started.

 

“Mm.” She nodded, chewing her food.

 

“What’d you think?” Please let it be good, I prayed.

 

“You guys are extremely talented. That's a lot of people for one group.”

 

“Thanks. It does get difficult at times.” I admitted.

 

We talked more about how our lives changed since the last time we saw each other.

It’d been a good 30/45 minutes already, so needless to say our plates were empty.

 

“Why don't you guys go out?” My mom suddenly asked.

 

We both looked at her with big eyes.

 

“Mom!? What are you-”

 

“I mean go outside.” She stopped me with a tsk and smacked me on the back of the head. “It’s a nice day, you guys can take a walk or something.”

 

“I don't think that's a good idea.” Cali said. We both looked at her with questioning. “Joshua’s a celebrity now. Walking the streets with a random girl could cause trouble.” She looked at us with furrowed eyebrows. “And you don't need a scandal ruining your image so early.” she looked at me honestly.

 

Wow. I gaped in my head. She’s still so mature.

 

“Hmm I guess that does pose a problem huh.” My mom sighed. “Backyard it is.” She clapped. “I don't want you two cooped up in this house on such a beautiful day.”

 

She proceeded to shoo us off the kitchen bar stools and out to the back porch.

We made ourselves comfortable on the stairs and talked more.

 

It was nice to speak comfortably. I mean I could do it with my groupmates but with someone I’ve known as long as KiHae, it seemed like I hadn't left LA all those years ago.

 

That being said, time flew much faster than we’d hoped and it got dark, a sign that it was time for me to go back to my dorm.

 

“Sweetie I’m glad you decided to visit.” My mom hugged me.

 

“I’m glad to have come.” I smiled.

 

She left us alone again and I helped KiHae to her feet.

 

“It was nice catching up with you Cali.” I smiled.

 

“Same. Hopefully you can visit me in L.A. before I leave.” She suggested lightly.

 

“Wait leave?” I don't remember us talking about her leaving L.A.

 

“I’m moving to New York.” She smiled. “I got accepted into Juilliard.”

 

“Wow! I know how much you wanted to go there.” I was genuinely happy for her but we were already so far apart.

 

“Yea well try to visit. I don't have to move until late summer, so maybe if you and your bandmates have break, visit the west coast for a bit.” She shrugged.

 

“I will definitely try.”

 

We exchanged phone numbers which I was extremely happy about and I left.

Hopefully we’d see each other again.