Chapter 4

Thin Line

'Because his appendix burst and stayed inside his body for a long time it had caused several problems within his body. We've removed the appendix from his body but we need to attend to the next procedure to treat the other problems inside his body.'

 

They all listened carefully as the doctor explained Ryeowook's condition fully to them. Apparently even though he was out of surgery there were still several things that needed to be done for his health to get better. 

 

'Doctor, what other problems does Ryeowook has?' Leeteuk asked. From the look on his face, anyone would be able to tell how worried he was.

 

'Septicemia.' The doctor replied.

'It is a type of blood infection which can be deadly if not treated quickly and properly.'

 

'But it can be treated right?? He can recover right???' This time it was Donghae who asked. He was standing next to Leeteuk.

 

'It would be difficult to treat if the infections had spread further into his body and organs. We won't know for sure until we start his treatment. We're going to fuse his blood and cleanse it.' The doctor explained fully.

'But don't worry too much even though he's still not out of danger fully the scary part is over. We just have to make sure the infections are not too major and quickly treat it. We also have to make sure that he's not getting any peritonitis which is an infection of the peritoneum, a silk-like membrane that lies in the abdomen cavity.'

 

'I see. Thank you so much doctor for your explanations. When we'll be able to see him?' Leeteuk asked and bowed followed by the other members.

'As soon as we've done with the rest of the treatment.' The doctor answered and bowed back before turning around to go back to the treatment room.

 

--------

 

Ryeowook opened his eyes slowly, feeling the overwhelming force of the strong light that hit his eyes. He felt a small pang on his stomach but it was much better than before. He looked down and saw a large tube coming from inside his stomach that was connected to a machine next to his bed which freaked him out a little. 

 

'Ah, Ryeowook-shi you're awake.' A nurse said to him. Ryeowook looked up and saw her walking towards him.

 

'What happened to...me?' Ryeowook questioned. The last thing he remembered was Heechul's voice ringing inside his ears.

 

'Well, you're in the hospital right now and you've just got out of surgery. A dangerous one might I add.' She smiled at Ryeowook and explained.

 

'Surgery?? Dangerous??' Ryeowook's eyes went wide.

'What do you mean by that??'

 

'You're appendix burst apparently and it stayed longer that it needed to be inside you.' The nurse changed the IV tube next to him as she said this. 

'It's dangerous because you could have died if it stayed longer inside you because you can get serious infections that can't be treated. You're one lucky kid you know.'

 

'I see.' Ryeowook found himself unable to give proper reply. Everything was just too overwhelming for him to comprehend all at once.

'Is my-' Ryeowook tried to say but was interrupted.

 

'Your members? Ouh they're here.' The nurse told him.

'They haven't left since you've been taken here. Would you like to see them?' Ryeowook quickly nodded and smiled.

'Alright. I'll get them for you.'

 

---

 

'Hey, Ryeowook ah how are you feeling?' Leeteuk was the first one to approach his bed. Ryeowook looked at the older man and smiled.

 

'In pain but I feel much better.' 

 

'You gave us such a fright.' Kangin sat on Ryeowook's bed and patted the younger man's head gently.

'I'm sorry I didn't know you were sick. I didn't notice it.' He apologised.

 

Ryeowook looked at the older man like he had lost his mind or something. 'What are you talking about hyung? Of course you wouldn't know it's my body!'

 

'But still, we could have notice the change in you. Your slower movements and your pale complexion. But instead we were too busy fighting one another.' Donghae blurted out from behind Kangin. His head hung low.

'We're sorry for making you worry so much about us Ryeowook ah.'

 

'You guys did nothing wrong. You didn't need to apologise.' Ryeowook didn't know what to do with the whole situation. He could tell that the members felt bad for the fight that happened, but he could also sense another tension within them. It was as if something was really bothering them and playing with their emotions.

 

'Yeah but we didn't try to face the problem and kept hurting each other. Hurting you. We made you worried that you forget to take care of yourself.' Siwon explained on behalf of all of them.

'We forgot how worrisome you can be.'

 

'That's true...' Ryeowook looked around and saw Kyuhyun leaning against the wall and Heechul standing at the furthest end of his hospital room. 'But it was my choice, my behavior, it's not your fault. You don't decide my decision. It's somethjng I have to work out. Just promise me you won't fight like that again. Even if you did, just try work things out without going physical and saying things you will regret later. It's not worth it. There should always be a thin line between your anger and your self-control.' As soon as he finished saying this, he quickly laid back down on the bed. Feeling himself weakened. He completely forgotten that he had just got out of surgery.

'Gosh I spoke too much.' He said tiredly.

 

'Are you okay? What's wrong?? Do you need anything??' s started to ask simultenously, worried.

 

'I'm fine, I'm fine.' Ryeowook waved his hand back and forth.

'I just felt tired with all this talking that's all.'

 

'That's a relief.' Eunhyuk sighed. 'Just refrain yourself from talking for a while okay?'

 

'How can I when you guys are such a handful and I can't help but be worried?' Ryeowook said as a matter factly.

 

'I thought you said you wanna try and change this part of you just now?' Sungmin joked and smiled. Ryeowook chuckled slightly.

 

'Ah. You're right. I forgot.'

 

'Wook, don't worry, we promise we'll do what you said.' Shindong uttered from behind Leeteuk. 'Only that you'll promise that you'd tell us every time you feel something is wrong with your health. Deal?' He added, looking straight into Ryeowook's eyes.

 

'Yeap, I like that suggestion very much. I vote on it. In fact, we should all vote on it.' Yesung nodded with a thumbs up, smilling at s.

 

'No need. I promise I will.' Ryeowook placed his hand on his heart as a sign of promise.

 

'Good for you Wook!' Leeteuk ruffled Ryeowook hair warmly.

'Anyways, is there something we could do for you? Would you like something to eat? Wait. Can you even eat anything?? Are you allowed???' He then asked.

 

'Nope. The doctor said I can't handle solid food yet.' Ryeowook shook head. 'But there is something you guys could do for me.'

 

'What is it? Anything is fine.' Leeteuk told the younger man followed by nods and several 'that's right' from the other members.

 

'I would like to have a word with Kyuhyun. Alone.' Ryeowook announced. The mention of Kyuhyun's name made the surrounding quiet all of a sudden, something Ryeowook had noticed since earlier.

 

'Alright. As you wish.' Leeteuk finally said and stood up.

'Take as much time as you need. We'll be outside if you need us.' He motioned the other members to leave the room with him. Despite a few protests here and there, they all left the room just as they had been told.

 

'It won't be long.' Ryeowook promised.

 

'Come sit here Cho.' Ryeowook told the latter as soon as the members leave the room.

 

Kyuhyun rubbed the back of his head but said nothing. He walked towards Ryeowook's bed and sat on the chair next to it.

 

'I know what you're going to say.' Kyuhyun said with a sigh when Ryeowook looked like he wasn't going to say anything any time soon. 

 

'What did you do Kyu?' Ryeowook finally asked.

'What did you say to them??'

 

'I don't get how you can always tell.' Kyuhyun blurted out, fidgeting nervously on his chair.

 

'Whatever it is, whether it's big or small, when it comes to you our members, especially you, I can always tell.' Ryeowook told him. 'I can tell by the look on their faces, by your actions and how they racted when I mentioned your name. Anyways, don't try to change the subject and answer the question.'

 

'Alright alright I'll tell you.' Kyuhyun sighed, defeated. He knew very well how pointless it is to lie to Ryeowook.

'I um...I must have said something that um really hurt their feelings...' 

 

'Which was?' Ryeowook closed his eyes and tried to shake his exhausted feeling away.'

 

'You have to know that I really didn't mean what I said. I was out of line. I was just so angry and worried about you and I just find the whole situation ridiculous that I just...exploded.' Kyuhyun explained, rubbing his face.

'I told them that they're only sorry when bad things happened and I um...I accidentally mentioned my accident...' Kyuhyun could feel his eyes getting wet as he thought of the members and what he had said to them.

 

'Kyu..' Ryeowook patted Kyuhyun's shoulder gently.

'Remember that thin line you've told me about?' Kyuhyun merely nodded, he couldn't lift his face up and look at Ryeoowok.

'Well there should always be a thin line between your anger and emotions with your mind. You need to learn to not say things according to your emotions without thinking clearly.' Ryeowook said, his hand never leaving Kyuhyun's shoulder.

'I know that I don't need to lecture you on the members real feelings cuz I know you know how they truly are on the inside. They would never hurt us on purpose Kyu.'

 

'I know. I'm sorry. I really am.' Kyuhyun uttered with a small sob.

'Sometimes I get too worried that I forgot everything else and let my emotions get the better of me.' Ryeowook chuckled at this.

 

'In a way, you're just like me Kyu. A worried-thwart. Promise you're gonna make things better with them?' Kyuhyun only responded with a nod, too caught up with his emotions to give a proper respond.

'Especially Heechul hyung?' Ryeowook suddenly added. Kyuhyun looked up at Ryeowook, surprised.

'I know that black eye did not just put itself there all of a sudden'. Ryeowook merely said. Kyuhyun quickly hung his head low, ashamed.

'Go talk to him. Make things right. I'm sure it's just all a big misunderstanding.'

 

 

'I will.'

 

 

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments inspire me so do drop some ;) !

Thanks for reading!