Three

The Thread That Binds Us

Tiffany was laying on her squeaky sofa reading past case files. She is bored. It was only the second day of her week long vacation, how the hell is she going to survive for the coming days. She would usually spend her day off with Yuri's family or her flings here and there. Maybe she should ask one of her flings out tomorrow. That Nickhun guy seems okay. Yeah she should totally call him. There's no way she can survive this week alone. 

Her mother just left her house after a very awkward dinner. She was still a little pissed by her mom's decision on helping her so called husband. She hate the fact that her mom is always submissive when comes to that man. They avoided the topic for the dinner which is what she was thankful for. She wanted nothing to do with him. 

Flashback
17 years old Tiffany was sitting in the hospital alone staring at nothing. Her young mind was forced to process the concept of reality. That was the day her life  force her to become an adult. She didn't cry, she can't and she don't believe tears was going to help in the ty situation that she's in. How is going to pull herself and her mother out of this? Her so called father is now in jail and her mother is lying on the hospital bed. She wasn't even surprised, she knew sooner and later her mother will be finally be killed by him. How is she going to pay for the bills her mother will be here quite a while judging on the condition of her injury and she's still in school. She's mentally and physically tired.  With all this in mind, she walked heavily toward her mother's ward. 

"Move girl!", a man yelled impatiently at her. She was shoved to the side as she saw an unconscious girl with blood all over her head pushed towards the operation room.

She finally reached to her mother's side. Her heart still ache when she witness her mother battered even though she should be used to it by now. She quickly kneel beside her mother and held her mom's bruised hand. 

"I'll take care of you now"

~

She was dozing of while waiting for mother to wake up. She was determined to be there when her mother regain her consciousness but her eyelids had became so heavy. She looked at her watch it has only been two hours it still need another hour for her to wake up, so she decide to freshen herself in the toilet. 

She zombie walked to the washroom and enter it without looking at the sign. Well, she must be losing her mind. She walked into someone's room. Strange it's a ward with four bed but there's only one patient using it. It's a girl. Wait! She looked familiar! She's that girl! Pffft Tiffany what's the big deal seeing her here, she was rushed to the operational room just now , it's normal for her to be here. The girl appeared much better compared the sight earlier. Her head is bandaged and she's sleeping. 

"No", the girl whimpered. The latter frowned and starts to move a lot. Tiffany's heartache as she saw the girl started crying in her sleep. She must be having a nightmare Tiffany thought. By instinct, her body moved towards the crying girl and place her hand on the girls clenched fist. The latter's fist loosened.

"It's okay". After a while the girl became calm again. 

She couldn't leave, her entire body wanted her to stay with this stranger who she didn't even know the name but it felt so right beside this girl. It felt like this is where she's supposed to be. She sat there next to the girl her hand on the girl's, with a closer distance she had a better look at the girl's face features. The girl looked so young, childlike. Everything she has small face, tiny nose, teeny mouth and not to mention her petite body structure. Arh she has a V-shaped jaw as well, her skin is as fair as Tiffany's. The girl started to frown that caught Tiffany by surprised. Tiffany used her right hand's index fingers and caress the latter's eyebrow. It eased the girl's frown. 

Then it hit her. What the heck was she doing, staring at total stranger and caressing her face. She needs sleep now. Oh! How long has she been here? She panicked and look down at her wristwatch. 20 minutes? She has been here staring at her for a good twenty minutes. She quickly retract her hand from the girl and leave. 

'Why am I feeling uneasy leaving you?', she asked herself as she had one last look of the sleeping girl and left the room.

~

The next day, she was glad that her mother was awake. She fed her mother breakfast and her mother went back to sleep again because the medicines were making her drowsy. Her mind wanders off to the girl once again. After confirming her mother indeed was asleep she went back to the room she walked in by accident yesterday. She was excited to see her again but the moment she reached there she realized the bed the girl used to lay on is empty. As if on cue a nurse walked into the ward. 

"Where's the girl here yesterday?"

"There wasn't anyone here yesterday"

'I imagined that?  She was there, I could even feel her' Tiffany thought to herself.

"Miss are you alright?"

"Yea-ah, I am". Tiffany walked out of the room to avoid the nurse asking her more questions. She didn't even know the name.

End of Flashback

~

Next day

Tiffany woke up by her phone. She checked the clock next to her. Her whole body was aching as she realized she fell asleep on her couch again. 

"Ten thirty", she mumbled to herself.

She reached out lazily to her phone and it illuminates the one calling was Yuri. She quickly picked up the phone.

"What do you want?"

"Someone is moody is it time of the month already?". Yuri mocked.

"Shut up, I just woke up. What made you had to call me the day that decide to sleep in?"

"Oh right. Tiff, somebody want to talk to Park Hae Jin". Yuri's tone turned serious. 

"I'll be there". In a heartbeat Tiffany jumped out of bed and prepare herself to leave.

Within 15 minutes she's ready. Never in her life she was this fast.

Why would anyone want to talk to him. His on death row and his sentence is next month. Maybe this visit I'll get him to finally give in.

The journey from her house to jail was an hour drive. She was curious of the person who's visiting Park Hae Jin because for the first time in her three years since she learned about him, he has a visitor.

She hurried to the waiting room. She really had no idea who to expect behind the door. She opened the door after taking a deep breath.

She saw a young woman dressed in branded clothes busy texting away. The young woman noticed her presence, she kept her phone away and stood up.

"You're agent Hwang right?"

"Yes, I'm and you're?"

"Jessica Jung and I need to talk to that man"