One

The Thread That Binds Us

"I really like you", he smirked creepily at Tiffany. That's what Tiffany felt at that moment. No way she can take that smirk normally.

"I'll take that as a compliment. Why don't we get back on track?", Tiffany straighten her position hoping the man in front of her will provide what she wanted. She need this.

"Oh Tiffany, I've told you. I'm innocent", he slouched in his seat and crossed his arms. Tiffany know this conversation is going nowhere. Not allowing the man to enjoy anymore of his sick pleasure she stood up and walked towards the exit.

"I'll see you soon. Hwang Mi-young", that caused Tiffany to froze. She never once mentioned her Korean name to him, not even her colleagues well except Yuri. How did he know that. She kept her composure, not showing him the slightest reaction of her surprised. Her reaction will only amuses him. That's what he likes to be in control. She know he is enjoying this a lot.

He signalled her to move closer to him. She hesitated for a moment but she complied.

"You know with all these cameras here, I'm not that dumb to lose my cool". He whispered into Tiffany's ear. Tiffany was pissed, he's playing with her. He called her over claiming that he was willing to share but he was just toying with her.

"Arh, one more thing. Since you're kind enough to spend time with me. I'll give you something but don't tell the others. Kim Tae Yeon.", he emphasized on the name slowly making sure Tiffany got that.

He removed himself and sat up straight. "So I'll see you next time?"

"Sure. I'll see you soon but I'm afraid you don't have much time left". His oh so calmed face turned expressionless.

"It has been finalized. It's exactly in two months time".Tiffany cheered mentally knowing she hit his nerve. Then she exit the room.

"Hwang Mi-young, we will definitely meet again", Hae Jin muttered under his breath while gritting his teeth tightly.

~

"Nothing from him again?", Yuri her tanned partner asked.

"He did mentioned a name but I'm not sure whether he's bluffing or not", Tiffany answered while messaging her temples. Her tanned partner patted her back comfort her. Being her partner for three years and her best friend for 18 years she know it's better not to talk to her when she's down.

"Well, we don't have much time for him now. I've just received orders from the director, she want us to take another case immediately. It seems urgent.", Yuri informed her.

"Let's go, fill me in while we're on the way". She quickly stood up from her seat and hurried to the exit.

Yuri watched Tiffany rushing to the door, she shook her head at the workaholic in front of her. Tiffany always seemed bubbly and cheerful to people, who just met her. If you got to know her, she's not the person you thought off. When she's working nothing can distract her. Her goal was to the best profiler in the country. The moment she got into the head quarter she had been working non stop. By the age of the twenty five she's already a senior special agent. Of course, all that comes with a price.

~

A week later

"Both of you good job. Take a week break.", Director Lee praised.

"But-", Tiffany tried to reject the offer but was cut off by the director.

"Tiffany that's an order. I need my best agents to be healthy, so that you guys can work your butts off wen you two come back"

"Come on Tiff. I need a break badly, we have been in that case for entire week", Yuri commented.

"Yes ma'am", Tiffany finally gave in. Director Lee, her name is Sunny Lee that woman may be small but damn she's scary when others don't follow her orders. Tiffany won't want to take that chance.

~

"Thanks for the dinner again Auntie and this is for you". Tiffany took out a box of bird nest.

"Silly girl, why do you always buy us things we don't need. You're like my another daughter, I'll get angry if you get me anything next time"

"That's what I told her", Yuri joined in. Tiffany nudged her elbow to Yuri's side.

"Ouch! Mom she's bullying me", Yuri complained childishly to her Mother.

"I can't believe the two of you are 25, when the both you act like five. No wait five years old are more mature than the two of you". Yuri's Father said and her Mother shook her head witnessing the two best agent fighting like children.

"Oh right, Tiffany. How is your mother doing?"

"She's fine, I guess". Tiffany answered quietly.

"Tiffany, I know you're angry with her but you've been ignoring her for a month. Call her ", Yuri's Mom plead.

Tiffany kept quiet and nodded.

"That's my girl". Yuri's mom patted her head and gave her the warm smile she always hoped to see in her very own mother.

~

Tiffany enter her own apartment and welcome the silence that has been waiting for her. She took a long bath. She always do that when she have a lot on her mind. After a long bath, she finally decided. She picked up her smartphone and dialled her mother's number.

Her mother picked up at the second ring.

"Hello?"

...

"Tiffany is that you?"

...

"Tiffany, I'm sorry but your father need help. They were going to kill him if I don't help him."

"Jus-st don't help him again"

"I swear this will be the last time. Tiffany, please don't ignore me like that. I was really worried."

"Why don't you come over tomorrow". Tiffany felt guilty for ignoring her for the past month.

"Really?! ", her mother tone turn excited.

"Yes. Bye Mom"

"Bye dear"

She ended the call. She felt so much better talking to her mother again. To be honest, she missed her mother. Her fridge is running dangerously low and her house is in a mess. Let's just say she's really focused on her job. Her routine is hectic. She never has any fixed schedule, she would spend most of her time working day and night. When she's not working she would be at home doing case studies or spending time with Yuri's family. That explains why her relationship status is in a mess as well. She have flings here and there but never in a serious relationship more than 3 months.

Maybe being alone is better for her, it's much better than meeting someone like her father that will only bring her heartache and disappointment.

Today was like her any other day. She spend her time with case studies again.

However, she didn't know that fate has another plan for her.