Imperfect Harmony

Etched in Eternity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The intimate rhythms and harmonies of rhythm & blues soundtrack filled the background in the dimly lit bar that Jimin wove his way through, two drinks in hand.  The deep red walls boasted a sort of vintage American influence, echoing the opulence of the early 20th century.  The heavy oak furniture and the depth of the colours seemed to harmonize beautifully with the modern fixtures of the bar itself and the stage that was set at the front of the main room.  He had always enjoyed coming here to watch his friends perform, and he had to admit that he was grateful that it was where they'd picked up a residency.  Now, more than ever, he felt a deep appreciation for a reason to go out and just let go once a month.

Nearly a month had passed since Yoongi had returned to Seoul with Marie, and in that time Jimin had managed to get lost in his work and practices, barely finding time to spend with friends, let alone to relax and enjoy himself out on the town.  A chance to do both in one night was a dream come true, and a bright smile warmed his face as he slipped past a last couple to a table just to the left of the stage and the dance floor, where his friend's fiancee was waiting.

“One glass of Shiraz for the lady,” Jimin smiled, setting the drink before Marie as he slid into the seat across from her.  Once he was settled in the dark-stained chair he lifted his beer in offer of a toast.  “To a carefree night out,” he voiced, his words almost a purr of pleasure.  The brunette across the table lifted her glass, but the nervous laughter that chased the clink of their glasses didn't sit quite right with her companion.  

“What's on your mind, my dear,” Jimin enquired after a sip from his drink, hands reaching out to envelop one of hers.  Marie sighed, looking up at her friend from behind the hair that had fallen in her eyes.

“Is it that obvious?”  Another nervous lap escaped the woman as she considered the man holding her hand.  “Jimin,” Marie began, her free hand pushing her hair out of her face, “how long did it take to plan your wedding to Yoona?”  The question was simple, but the look in her eyes was desperate, as if she was praying for some answer that would ease her worries.

Of all the things Jimin had thought might come up, this was one of the last.  He quirked his eyebrow at Marie, head tilting slightly to the side.  “Oh, well... I mean we had decided to get married while I was still in school but we didn't actually book the hall until about three or four months out, I think?”  He'd never spent much time thinking about how long they'd spent planning their nuptials. They were nothing all that special.  They were fortunate enough to book a semi-private hall in Busan, shared with just one other couple that day, Namjoon and Jin had sung a duet, and most of it had rushed by in a blur of extended family and friends.  Yet the way Marie's hand tightened around his when he spoke said that this wasn't the answer she was looking for.

Before speaking again, the woman lifted her glass, draining a good portion of the drink to soothe her shattered nerves.  “I'm sorry,” Marie shook slightly, taking a deep breath to steady herself.  “That just seems so quick.  When my best friend got married she was engaged for two years and spent most of that planning every detail.  Yoongi's mother came over today to talk plans and it seemed like she thought she had been generous to give me a month to settle in before starting to talk about setting a date and picking a hall,” she explained.  Her eyes were wide with some combination of fear and frustration, her body in constant, anxious movement.

Jimin hardly had to think twice before taking Marie's other hand squeezing them both gently as he caught her gaze.  “Hey,” he cooed sweetly, “it's kind of a big deal, I get it.  I mean the idea of getting married to your soulmate is a lot for any of us but you're across the world from all the comforts of home to boot.”  She in a noisy breath and nodded, finally relaxing a touch in Jimin's grasp.  “I'm sure you've heard this, but his mom is pretty excited since her other son eloped in Thailand.  I have good news for you, though.”

Marie had groaned softly at the reminder of her soon-to-be mother-in-law's excitement, but she perked at the words that followed.  “Well, are you going to share that good news?” she urged, leaning forward expectantly.

Jimin gave a warm chuckle, squeezing her hands once more.  “Two parts.  The first is that you won't have nearly as many details to worry about as you would have there.  The second is that you've got someone who's been there to help you navigate all this.  And I'm not about to let anyone else take over your wedding day, even if she is footing the bill.”

A grateful burst of laughter exploded from Marie in that moment, and Jimin sighed happily as he released her hands, taking another drink of his beer.  Across the room, he could see the band coming out to the stage, and the pair scooted their seats around the table for a better view of the performance.  “Has he ever shown you a video of the whole band?”

The question was met with a shake of Marie's head as she took a sip from her wine glass.  “He's always saying something about how they're better live and the recordings aren't worth my time,” she explained, and Jimin's head shook in response.

“Typical Yoongi.”  There was a nod of agreement, but Namjoon was stepping up to a microphone to greet the crowd.

“Good evening ladies and gentlemen.  We are BTS.  I want to start the night with a welcome back to our favourite man on keys, Mr. Min Yoongi who's rejoined us after his sojourn in America.”  The crowd clapped their agreement as Yoongi waved quietly from his spot behind the keyboard.  “This one's called 'Miss Right!'”

Without further ado, the music began, and Jimin placed a friendly hand on Marie's shoulder as the melody carried them away.  The first two songs had the crowd dancing in their seats, heads and shoulders bobbing to the rhythm as Taehyung's silky baritone laced with Jin's descant and the compositions so lovingly created by Yoongi and Namjoon.  There was no doubt that they were talented, and yet, on that night something about them seemed more polished, more complete than Jimin had ever seen them.

As the third song began, Jimin decided it was time to break Marie from the little reverie she seemed to be lost in.  Standing, he cleared his throat and held his hand out to her.  “May I have this dance?” He asked, eyebrow quirking with a little grin.  She beamed up at him and took his hand, pushing out of her seat without hesitation.

“It would be my pleasure!”

They were the first to take the dance floor hand in hand, carving a casual, upbeat path to the song, but soon other couples were joining them on the floor.  Jimin lead Marie easily, his strong arms guiding her through spins into his chest, gentle swaying of the hips, and even the occasional dip.  One song faded into the next as they danced, laughter filling the air around them.

From the stage, Jungkook watched his roommate as he navigated the dance-floor with a natural grace. His focus was on the music, but his eyes lingered on the way Jimin's hips swayed in the white slacks he wore, the little bit of toned chest that was left exposed by a top button undone on the chambray shirt.  He admired the way the older man put his companion at ease, charisma enveloping them in a warm glow that would leave anyone feeling more at home.  There was a part of him that almost envied the way Marie seemed to fit against her dance partner, her petite shoulders enveloped by Jimin's muscular frame.  

The last chord rang out across the crowd and everyone applauded, and even Marie and Jimin found their seats for a little breather from their enthusiastic dancing.  “Alright everyone,” Taehyung hummed into the mic, jangling his tambourine to grab the attention of the crowd.  “We've got a special treat for you now.  This is a brand new tune, featuring our very own golden boy of Busan, Jeon Jungkook!”

The crowd applauded, and Jungkook could have sworn Jimin seemed just that much more enthusiastic than those around him.  His heartbeat picked up in his chest as Hoseok tapped out the beat with his drumsticks, and then it was beginning.

The first few notes on the piano were enough to send Marie's hand to her heart, her eyes going wide. “I... this... Yoongi wrote this,” she whispered, and Jimin offered a warm smile.   It was lost to the moment, though, as h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter