Remember That

Etched in Eternity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jimin and Jungkook hardly saw one another the next day. Jimin rose early after his night with Hansol, showering in his apartment and going home just long enough to change into his dance gear and head to one of the three classes he was enrolled in to strengthen his technique and classical training. Jungkook arrived just in time to see Jimin slipping out the front door of the building, and made a point of pressing himself to a pillar until he'd vanished down the street. He couldn't bring himself to face his roommate, and had been grateful for the silence of the apartment as he got ready for work.

They'd crossed paths, however briefly, as Jimin left the practice room and the band filtered in, but shared little more than an awkward, silent nod. When he arrived back at the apartment, though, Jimin found himself pacing, searching for something to fill the silence after his shower. He should have gone to bed, he thought, should have watched a show, done anything but wait at the bar in the kitchen, sipping a mug of tea until he heard keys clicking in the lock.

“Hey,” he greeted Jungkook with another nod, lifting his mug to his lips. Jimin hardly knew what else to say, but he knew he wanted to talk to Jungkook, knew there was something he needed to say. Or rather, something he wanted to ask. He just didn't know how to broach the subject.

“Hey,” Jungkook replied, slipping his shoes off before moving to lean forward, arms resting on the opposite side of the counter. “So, what was it you said the day after we moved in together? Past five am constitutes the next morning?” His lips quirked into a cheeky grin, but he felt his heart stutter at his own words. He didn't want to think about what had kept Jimin out into the morning, didn't need anything else feeding his imagination about what he and Hansol had done together. He had been with their now mutual friend often enough to have plenty of visions filling his mind of their own accord.

Jimin's cheeks flushed lightly at the jab, but there was concern in his features. “I.. I'm sorry, Hansol said he sent you a message. I just assumed he would have told you – I. I'll text you myself next time..” he began to ramble, until a soft chuckle met his ears.

“I got the message. I've never had a chance to give you a hard time about something like this,” Jungkook grinned, watching as the breath visibly left Jimin's chest. “I'm.. glad you had a nice time,” he resolved, looking away as his teeth dug into his bottom lip.

A swallow choked Jimin's throat, giving him a moment to collect his thoughts. He shrugged his shoulders upwards before releasing them again and knit his fingers together. “Yeah,” he nodded, twisting his ankle in circles before he finally seemed to find his voice.

“I... I was wondering about something? Is.. kissing. No one does it? Is that common?” The words tumbled out of Jimin's mouth in the most uncoordinated fashion, and his nose crinkled in distaste. “Sorry,” he inhaled, straightening his shoulders as he looked at Jungkook. “This is all really new to me, you know that. I was just sort of taken aback when – ah well. It's strange not to kiss someone when...”

“Yeah, it's not something we really do,” Jungkook stopped Jimin, his voice much gruffer than he'd intended for it to be. He couldn't help himself, though, not with the way the image of Jimin reaching up for Hansol's jaw kept circling in his mind, followed by the impossible, more terrifying moment when their marks vanished. He squeezed his eyes shut, forcing the images away once and for all. “It's... sort of a kind of protection, I guess? Or maybe it's more... a protest? Because you know, that's the only way you ever know,” he tried, hoping Jimin would pick up on his explanation.

“Right,” Jimin nodded, considering the words as his hands twisted together on the counter. “If you don't kiss you don't know, and I guess the point of the mateless society is that you don't want to know, do you?” He blinked at Jungkook, who seemed to be considering the words.

“I'm... not always sure about that,” he admitted quietly, lashes fluttering as he looked back to Jimin. “Yeah, that's the general idea, though,” Jungkook agreed, which seemed to satisfy the question.

Silence stretched between the two men again, nothing but the gentle ticking of the clock on the wall echoing through room as they absorbed the words that had been exchanged. The emptiness that had filled Jimin the previous night seemed to wrap around him once again, burning a sensation of loneliness in his heart. He couldn't find any words to express his thoughts, and so he nodded again before he finally moved, slipping off the stool and allowing his feet to find the floor.

Jungkook stood straight at the same time, a hand finding the back of his head as he looked around the room for nothing in particular. “Oh, right,” sounded Jimin's voice from the end of the hall where he had stopped to look back. “I'm... going to be away for a long weekend at the end of the month. I have.. some things to take care of at home,” he explained.

Jungkook nodded, his expression softening. He swore there was a hint of sadness in Jimin's tone, but he didn't dare to ask what had brought it about. His own mind was too possessed with the weight of the previous night, which seemed so much more significant as beats of silence passed between them.

“Right. Anyway, another early morning tomorrow for dance class before work.” Jimin waved in Jungkook's direction, leaving him to move down the hall into his room. He knew he should tell Jungkook the truth, but he couldn't bring himself to do it when he could hardly speak in the first place. Sleep was what they needed.

The morning that followed didn't prove to make much of a difference between the two roommates. Jungkook slipped into the living area just as Jimin was leaving, grateful for the plate of pancakes and eggs kept warm in the oven.

It wasn't just the following morning, though. It was that afternoon, and the day after, and even after two weeks it seemed as if Jimin and Jungkook had barely seen each other. For all that he was busy, that he was, in fact, almost consumed by his schedule of practices, work, and preparations for his trip, Jimin found himself pining for the companionship he'd hardly realized he had come to find so endearing. He found himself missing Jungkook, missing his sleepy, tousled hair in the morning, his inquisitive gaze when they shared life experiences, the dark smudge of eyeliner around his eyes. He ached, and with the day that loomed ahead, he didn't want to feel that pain.

So, four days before his trip, Jimin made a point of being home, even though he knew he should be practicing for the audition that was just over three weeks away. As it was, though, he'd found himself distracted and missing the fine details that he needed the most work on. The effort was futile, which made him all the more eager to give himself some much needed rest.

It was too early to make supper, but Jimin felt compelled to have some sort of offering for Jungkook for the occasion. So, when he'd returned to an empty apartment after work, he had rolled up the sleeves of his emerald green button-down and started digging through the cupboards for all he needed to make rice cakes.

When Jungkook walked through the door, the sweet smell that wafted into his nose encompassed him in a familiar warmth that had his mind soaring back to Busan. How many afternoons had he come home from school to find his mother preparing tea and a plate of steaming rice cakes on the table? His mouth watered slightly, and he half expected to see the woman as he rounded corner. The sight that met his eyes instead made his heart skip a beat.

Jimin was humming as he poured water from the electric kettle into a teapot, a black apron tied around his waist and looped over his neck. On the counter Jungkook could see the source of that euphoric scent, steaming rice cakes that had to be fresh. But that would mean...

“Woah, did you make rice cakes?” The words tumbled out before he could think to greet Jimin properly, and Jungkook felt a pang of guilt as his roommate jumped, splashing hot water onto his hand with a curse. “, I'm so sorry, are you okay, hyung?”

He moved across the room quickly, grabbing a towel to press to Jimin's wrist as he looked to see if everything was alright. Even as their gazes met, though, Jimin had begun to laugh and pressed his hand to his chest.

“I'm fine, thanks. Good afternoon to you, too,” Jimin's continued to laugh. Jungkook pulled the towel away, relieved, and moved to mop up the bit of water that had spilled on the counter and place the lid on the teapot. Jimin's laughter settled while he replaced the electric kettle and wiped his hands on his apron.

“Were you... expecting company?” Jungkook's eyes swept from the plate of rice cakes to Jimin with curiosity.

Jimin's smile was bright, but gentle all at the same time when he shook his head. “No. No, actually, I was ah... they're for you. Well, us.” He shrugged and pulled the apron over his head, averting his eyes toward the oven as if to check that everything was turned off. “I was.... hoping we could talk. I-I'm sorry I know you just got home from work...” he rushed as he hung the apron.

Jungkook's hand reached out to rest on Jimin's wrist in an effort to catch the elder's attention. Once he had looked up, Jungkook smiled, “It's really okay. Here, I'll grab the teapot if you'll get the rice cakes?” The offer seemed to relax Jimin, who nodded and moved out of the kitchen to collect the rice cakes from where they sat on the bar.

Once they'd made it to the living room, Jimin busied himself with pouring the tea, so Jungkook allowed himself to bite into one of the rice cakes. After all, if Jimin had taken the time to make them, it was only respectful to enjoy the fruits of that labour. They were exactly right – not overly sweet like some of the restaurants made them, but with just the right balance of natural sweetness in the red bean paste and the bun. His eyes closed and his tongue darted over his lips to collect the little bit of white dust that remained on them. The tiny moan of delight that followed was, perhaps, only slightly less intended.

Jimin's laugh was almost a giggle in response, and his cheeks pinked gracefully at the unspoken praise. “I'm glad you like them. I haven't made them in... since... it's been a while,” he finally resolved. Jungook had just stuffed the rest of the morsel into his mouth, but he nodded in understanding while Jimin took his place on the sofa.

For a moment, the silence of the first few bites and sips of tea were comfortable. In the months they had lived together, they had become accustomed to the constant presence of one another. More than that, each of them found a certain comfort in just knowing the other was in the house, even when they were in their own rooms. There was a familiarity that made the apartment feel more like a home than simply a place to lay their heads at the end of a long day. There was a companionship that didn't need conversation to be present between them.

The fact of the matter, though, was that Jimin did have something important to talk about, so after a few moments he took a breath to collect his thoughts and turned to Jungkook. “So I... I know I mentioned that I was taking a trip at the end of the month,” he began. He was careful to catch Jungkook's eyes, and waited for him to nod in response. “I'm leaving in four days. It's sort of hard to believe it's come up so fast. But I – well I wanted to tell you where I'm going. Or. Why I'm going, really,” he continued.

Jungkook frowned slightly as Jimin spoke. It wasn't common for either of them to struggle over their words with one another this way anymore, not even after their night out at the club. To hear Jimin hesitating to approach him about whatever was on his mind, well, it was enough to have Jungkook reach out and place a comforting hand on Jimin's bent knee.

The smile on Jimin's lips was grateful, and yet so sad. There was a pain laced under the soft, upward curve of those lips that wouldn't have been as clear in words. “Ah, you see. Saturday is – or, it would have been Yoona's birthday,” he finally explained. “It's the first year I've been away from Busan, but I always visit her.”

Jungkook's hand squeezed gently at Jimin's knee as the words finally fell from his lips. “Ah, I understand, hyung. That's very honourable of you, to respect her memory so dearly.” His words were an attempt at comfort, at understanding, or, well, whatever it was Jimin was looking for. “If there's anything you need me to look after while you're away-”

“Actually there was something I wanted to ask,” Jimin interrupted and then swallowed, lowering his gaze to his own lap. “I'm sorry, I must sound terribly rude. This is... this is why I wanted to talk to you, though.”

“It's really fine, hyung.” Jungkook's hand raised to Jimin's shoulder, his head lowering so he could catch those dark eyes with his own again. “I really mean it, whatever I can do,” he offered, waiting for the request to come.

A deep breath raised Jimin's shoulders and expanded his chest momentarily as he seemed to consider his words. When at last he spoke, Jungkook found himself in a state of humbled shock. “I was wondering if you might be willing to come with me this weekend. I'm taking Sumi, andwhilemyparents-” he began to slur his words together with the speed of them, but this time it was Jungkook who cut him off.

“Jimin.... You want me to come with you? I'm. I would... this is.” Jungkook closed his eyes for a moment to collect his thoughts. He didn't honestly know how he felt about Jimin. He knew he cared about him, knew he was easily one of the best friends he had made in years. There was something beyond that, something that made him feel warm from the pit of his stomach to the tips of his ears, but he wasn't ready to name it. He knew, though, that this was important, and he felt sort of overwhelmed with the thought that Jimin wanted him to be there for the occasion.

“I'd love to come with you. I think it's time I paid my respects to Yoona, honestly. Besides, it's Busan, and Busan will always be home for me, too.” He laughed softly with the reminder, and Jimin's tension seemed to visibly melt in response.

“O-of course! I’m so sorry.  Sometimes I forget - I’m not used to having someone else from Busan around with the guys,” Jimin scrambled in reply.  He paused and covered the hand that rested on his shoulder with one of his own. “Thank you, really. It means so much to me to have you there. I'm just not sure I can do it alone this year.”

Though he did all he could to keep it from his eyes, Jungkook felt a pang in his heart at the sadness in Jimin's voice. If there was anyone who deserved to go the rest of their life without that kind of pain, it was the kind, compassionate Park Jimin.

 

“Okay, bye Appa, I love you! Have a good weekend!” The words tumbled out of Sumi's mouth like a horse speeding out of the gate after the gunshot, and she grabbed Jungkook's hand to try and drag him toward the station. “Come on, oppa! We're gonna miss it!” she urged impatiently as her little feet stomped along.

“I'm sorry, honey, I really think it might be a lost cause,” Seokjin soothed his husband with a squeeze to his very slumped shoulder. Namjoon had just pulled Sumi's small purple suitcase to add to the stack on the porter's cart. They had arrived at the train station only three minutes earlier, and he couldn't help the ache at the thought that his little girl was so eager to leave. “At least we know she'll be well taken care of, right Jimin-ah?”

Jimin smiled and closed the trunk, and took a moment to look over the top of the car to where Jungkook had lifted Sumi into his arms. He ruffled her hair and listened attentively as she rambled about all of the things she was looking forward to that weekend, and Jimin felt a certain swell of fondness in his chest. “Yeah, her uncles will make sure she has a great time,” he finally agreed, turning a broad, eye-crinkling smile to his friends.

“Just as long as her uncles also make sure she brushes her teeth and calls her parents every night,” Namjoon conditioned with a sigh.

“And eats her fruits and vegetables!” Seokjin added, at which Jimin laughed once again.

“And that she recites the Four Noble Truths ten times a day, yes, we promise we heard you when we went over this in the car,” Jungkook teased as he and Sumi rejoined the others by the car. Jimin hid a laugh behind his hand as his eyes shifted to Namjoon, who had turned a fresh glare on Jungkook.

Seokjin sighed softly and took Namjoon's hand in his own in a gesture of comfort. “Abeoji, Jungkook oppa says we'll go the aquarium this weekend and see all the fish!” Sumi exclaimed as she clung to Jungkook's body like a small, pink-clad koala.

It was impossible for even Namjoon to maintain his scowl of disapproval when he looked at how honestly joyful his daughter seemed. Despite the concerns about sending his daughter away for the weekend, he knew that Jimin and Jungkook both had her best interests at heart, and that they would show her a wonderful time. “That sounds fun, sweetheart,” he relented with a soft smile as he reached out for her. “Now you come here and give me a proper hug and kiss. You're not getting away so easily.”

Sumi crawled easily into her father's arms, and while she said her goodbyes, Jimin checked to be sure the porter had all of their luggage checked for the train. Seokjin's smile was almost sad when he set the girl down and she took Jungkook's hand with her right and Jimin's with her left. Jungkook offered a lopsided grin and patted his friend's shoulder. “You'll be thanking us by the time we get back, hyung, just you wait,” he teased again, eliciting a blush from the eldest among them.

Their farewells couldn't be drawn out any longer, though, so the three set off with Namjoon and Seokjin watching from the car until they disappeared through the doors onto the train.

“WOW!!!” Sumi's eyes went wide with excitement and wonder once they had stepped into the passenger compartment, and Jungkook took easily enough to walking with her through the cars to explore. Jimin watched for a moment before settling into their seats and stowing their carry on bags. He leaned his head against the window and watched the last passengers board the train in a rush.

It was hard for Jimin to believe that it had already been over four months since he had returned to Seoul alone. Busan had been his childhood home, yes, but it was the memories of his life there in recent years that clutched his heart with that all-too-familiar ache. In some ways, it felt as if so much had changed in the time he had been away, but in others it almost felt as if he was still the same desperate, lonely man who had sought refuge in the capital city. What was certain was that, when Sumi and Jungkook returned and the girl claimed the seat by the window, Jimin's mind was focused on the memory of the last two visits he had made to his wife's graveside.

 

The train trip to Busan was an entirely different experience with a child to look after. Usually, Jungkook would have curled up in his seat, stuck headphones over his ears, and gotten lost in a book or a game on his phone. Sumi had never been on a trip like this that she could remember, though, and it seemed as if there was a new question every other minute about the goings on in the train.

The three of them had gone to the meal car together an hour into the nearly three hour trip, and only when they returned did the child finally seem to fall asleep with her head against the window. With a soft smile, Jungkook retrieved her pillow and tucked it under her head, while Jimin supplied the blanket from his side.

“You're really wonderful with her, you know,” Jimin mused when he took his seat, a book settled in his lap. Jungkook felt an odd flutter in his chest at the words, and his gaze shifted over the sleeping child for a moment before they returned to Jimin.

“Thanks,” he finally managed and lifted his hand to the back of his head to tug at the hairs there. “I've never really spent much time around little kids, honestly,” he admitted and settled into a more comfortable position. “I mean, a bit, I guess, back on the base. There were a couple of years there when I was the oldest one at the daycare, so I sort of inherited a lot of kids who called me hyung,” he remembered with a fond smile.

Jimin couldn't help but think there were layers that Jungkook had buried deep beneath his late nights out, tight pants, and dark eyeliner. Layers that made his heart flutter whenever they were exposed, even for the briefest moments when Jungkook didn't think anyone was looking. He wondered what other surprises this trip might have in store for him.

 

When the rental car stopped at the end of the long drive, Jungkook thought he had seen double for a moment. At his side, in the driver's seat, Jimin had adopted the fullest form of that bright smile that forced his eyes into slim crescents and puffed his cheeks perfectly that he had ever witnessed in person. What shocked him, though was seeing the exact same expression on the woman who ran from the front door of the house with open arms toward the vehicle.

The speed with which Jimin departed the vehicle had to be impossible, but Jungkook felt as if he'd only blinked before the nearly identical faces had collided in a crushing embrace next to the sedan. He could see the tears on her face, and, for a moment, he felt as if he were intruding on some incredibly private moment. Neither of them seemed to know there was anyone else in the world, or that it had only been a matter of months since they had seen one another.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter