Second Chances

Etched in Eternity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Frosty blades of grass crunched beneath Jimin's shoes as he carved along the all-too familiar path. He held the bouquet of daisies close to his chest, cradling them as delicately as a child in his strong embrace. It had only been two weeks since his last visit, but the way his heart ached with remorse was enough to convince him that was far too long. The visits had become more sparse over time, though. It wasn't because he loved her any less, or even that he didn't want to be there with her. Life had resumed around him, though, and the world had become increasingly less understanding after a year and then two had passed. Had he allowed the doubts expressed by those around him to infiltrate his heart? Had he, after all this time, given up in some way?

After what seemed like an eternal trek, Jimin fell easily to his knees, and his free hand reached out to caress the cool stone that rose from the ground. “Hello, Yoona,” he whispered as his heart began to beat more heavily in his chest. It had been just over two years, but tears still welled hotly behind his eyelids as he set the flowers into the vase by the headstone. “I've missed you my love.”

It was almost impossible for Jimin to remember his life without his soulmate. The first words had appeared on his right shoulder when he was just eleven years old – the first hint to the person who would complete him. Gentle, the dark ink had read from the moment it seared into his skin. Three years and thirty tattoos later, they had shared their first kiss beneath the stars at the girl's sixteenth birthday party, and their skin had cleared but for one, claiming mark. Their matching infinity symbols had risen along their right collarbones, linking them to one another eternally. Although he had been just fourteen years old, Jimin had been more than ready to commit himself to the girl who had noticed him in the crowd. He'd been more than happy to give his heart and soul to the woman who loved him as much because of his faults as she did due to his virtues.

Releasing a breath he'd hardly realized he was holding, Jimin dropped his forehead against the gravestone, his arms draping over the top of the edifice in utter surrender. When Yoona had died, the mark on his collarbone had remained, and he had never questioned it. To that day, it was a strange sort of comfort to know that his soul still belonged to someone, even if she had left the earth they'd once shared. A sob shook Jimin's shoulders as he quickly shoved his jacket off and yanked the glove away from his left hand. Warm fingers shoved hastily beneath the collar of his shirt, seeking the mark, desperate to trace the slightly raised curves in his skin.

“Something... something unbelievable has happened,” he managed to mutter as his sobs subsided. Just thinking of it caused his stomach to twist though, his chest burning with anguish all over again. He had never thought something like this was possible, not in a world where everyone was made to belong to one other soul. He'

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter