Title Song

Life as an Idol’s Sister is Never Boring [BEING RE-WRITTEN]

 

Friendly reminder

Italics=thoughts

Your POV

“Gahhhh!” You yelled out in frustration breaking the silence of the living room. “These persistent executives are going to drive me insane soon if they don’t stop asking for the gosh darn song!”

“Oh quit complaining Mel. You have only yourself to blame for volunteering to write it in the first place.” Ailee chastised.

Standing up from your precarious perch on the sofa arm you quickly apologized for your rotten mood and excused yourself in order to get some air. Once the cool breeze hit your face you felt some of the tension give way. Three days had already passed since you initially took on the heavy burden of composing Solar Eclipse’s debut song and yet each time you attempted to put pen to paper something stopped you. It was irritating.

How was I able to compose a song in such a short amount of time during the evaluations and not now?

The answer was obvious, though you were loath to admit it. This time the music meant so much more than a high performance grade. It was a chance to show the world what type of artists Solar Eclipse was aiming to be.

“I only want us to start off right.” You said under your breath. “A successful debut song can make or break a group.”

It was tempting to simply call up GD and ask for advice; however it wasn’t worth his insufferable teasing.

I suppose it’s probably easiest to start off by picking a topic first. I don't really want to do love especially since that doesn’t really suit our image right now, plus I’m not sure how the other members feel about it. We don’t really have anything to complain about except perhaps the long training hours and I definitely don’t want to write some bubbly, cute song.

“I just wish there weren’t so many constraints. I mean it’s not like we have to be anything at this point.” You thought out loud. “This is our chance to start fresh. We can be whatever we want. Define who we are as a group… the possibilities are endless.”

People walking by were a blur as your thoughts sped through your mind at a thousand miles per minute. Unfortunately the same phrase kept popping up repeatedly driving you to distraction. The possibilities are endless, the possibilities are endless, the possibilities are…

“That’s it! I’ve finally figured it out!”

Giving a little ‘whoop’ you jumped in the air and literally ran the entire way back to the company. Not caring if your behavior appeared rude, you ignored everyone you passed in the hallway including a stunned Yoochun while making a beeline straight towards the workrooms. You ripped out some sheet music and began to scribble across the pages not bothering to stop until every thought was put to paper.

One very important word was scribbled across the top in harsh bold letters.

‘Limitless’

Time ceased to exist as you began to record the melody. It was amazing to witness the song begin to take form as each piece of the track was laid down. Though it wasn’t perfectly produced yet you knew it was only a matter of time once SM entertainment’s professionals got a hold of it. You couldn’t wait to get your friends into the studio and hear their voices give life to the song.

In your excitement you nearly missed the loud knocking on the door.

“Melody open up right now or I'm busting it down!” A very familiar voice called out.

Snapping back to attention you quickly undid the lock and let the intruder in.

“Oppa?”

“Are you deaf? I’ve been pounding on this door like a crazy person for the past ten minutes thinking you’d died or something. What have you been up to that has you so preoccupied?” Yoochun asked with concern.

Grinning you eagerly tugged him further into the small room and forced him to sit down in the computer chair. Then you pulled down the oversized headphones onto your brother’s ears and maneuvered the mouse towards the play button.

“Mel what…?” His words trailed off as the intro began to play. You knew it by heart already, but it still captivated you every time.

It was difficult to remain still as you waited for the song to finish, impatiently wanting to hear your brother’s feedback as soon as possible. When he slowly pulled the earphones down around his neck you looked at him expectantly.

“Mel this is…”

“Yes?” You asked fervently.

“Did you create this on your own?” He asked with a tint of awe.

Confused you nodded.

“I don’t know what to say.”

Boiling with frustration you threw your hands into the air. “Say anything oppa, but hurry up the wait is killing me. You are the first person to hear this song outside of myself.”

He tore his gaze away from the computer screen to smile at you then. “Baby sister I think you have just found your debut song.”

“Really?” You asked hesitantly.

“Yes.” Yoochun answered confidently. “I think it is safe to say that any artist would pay millions to have the rights to it.”

You pouted at his high praise not sure if he was teasing or being serious. “You aren’t just saying that because I’m your little sister are you?’

He laughed at your skepticism. “No, really chipmunk this is a wonderful piece of work. I can’t wait to hear the finished product. You should get this to the executives right away so they can begin to put together a recording schedule.”

Unable to contain you happiness you hopped onto his lap and gave him a big hug. “This is really it huh oppa? I’m finally going to be able to show our music to the world.”

Yoochun gently wrapped his arms around your back and gave a reassuring squeeze. “It all starts from here Mel. In only a few short weeks you will be standing on the very same stage that so many others stood on before you. It is a very special experience, one you won’t forget for the rest of your life.”

The two of you talked for a little while longer before Yoochun helped you to burn the song onto several discs and left for his own recording session. He was recording an OST for some new historical drama he’d be starring in.

With the hardcopies of the song in hand you hopped in the elevator up to the main business level where most of the executives were stationed.  You were rapidly ushered into a screening room and forced to sit through the longest 3 minutes and 42 seconds of your life as you waited to hear what the final verdict was.

There was a long pregnant pause before anyone dared to open their mouths.

“I see your confidence wasn’t misplaced Melody. This is a wonderful start. We will be sure to contact the group once a schedule has been written up and the music has been tweaked a little.”

“But…” You protested.

“Don’t worry Melody the core of the song will remain intact. The only thing we will be adjusting is adding a few choice sound effects and layering your voices once we get you in the studio.”

Relieved you quietly backed out of the room upon your dismissal and called the manager to pick you up. Upon your return to the apartment you were bombarded with a hundred questions from your fellow teammates.

“Where have you been?”

“What is that you are hiding behind your back?”

“Do you realize how worried we were about you when you disappeared like that?”

“Have you lost your mind?”

Laughing you pulled out the hidden disc from behind your back. “Relax you guys. I just finished composing our debut song and got the approval from the higher ups.”

“What!?!?!?” Hara squealed. “Gimme Gimme Gimme!”

You let the whirlwind that was Hara snag the case out of your hand and went over to sit on the couch while she tried to figure out the CD player. You could’ve burned it to your iPod, but in your rush to leave the house you forgot to bring it with you. Smiling to yourself as the first soothing chords from the acoustic guitar came on you looked greedily at the stunned expressions of your friends.

The beginning of the song had a decidedly raw feel to it with only natural sounds from a simple drum beat, a few guitar chords, and a basic piano melody. That quickly changed however about 20 seconds in as the drum beat became more intoxicating and the acoustic guitar gave way to a more electric sound. The chorus was extremely catchy, but not cliché and you knew IU and Ailee would do a great job with the adlibs to give it some extra flair. Then end reflected a blend of both the beginning and middle with a mash up of the synthetic sounds and classical instruments.

“Oh my god.” Hara whispered.

“You can say that again.” Ailee replied.

“This is positively amazing!” IU gushed.

“Well only one thing to do now.” Mi-Na said with finality.

"What's that?" IU asked curiously.

"Time to get to work."

The five of you looked at one another with determined expressions on your faces while your eyes flashed with an inner fire. There was no turning back now. The possibilites were 'limitless'