Falling On You

Yours Truly, Minatozaki Sana

 

She flinches when resting her weight on a small bruise at the outer folds of her arm.

 

Seated at the table, she was flipping through the pages of a binded book, recalling the happenings of that week. Her fingers lightly grazed along the bruise on her arm distractedly as she read.



 

Today’s Thursday.

 

I’ve lost track of the amount of times I’ve tripped over our neighbour, Tzuyu.

 

It feels like even fate is having its fair share of fun with us. I feel bad for her though. Well, I’m not that heavy but not exceptionally light either. Still, she manages to catch me at every fall. Isn’t that amazing? That girl has super skills.


 

“Sana, help me with dinner!”

 

“Oh.” She almost drops her diary while springing up in panic, “Wait! Don’t you dare burn my favorite dish! I’m coming right now!” She yells.

 

“Chillax, will you? The spring rolls aren’t even in yet...” Momo says with an annoyed tone.

 

“Oh thank goodness!” Sana exclaims while arriving at the kitchen just in time.

 

“I’m gonna burn them if you don’t stop being dramatic.”

 

Sana chuckles and ruffles the blond’s hair, “Stop being so grouchy.”

 

“Looks like you’re in a good mood today.”

 

“Really?” She grins, “It has got to be the spring rolls! I’ve been craving for them.” Her eyes roved excitedly in search for the mentioned food.

 

“Or… maybe a certain someone?”

 

“Hmm?” Sana asks, not paying much attention while being distracted.

 

Momo just shakes her head and lets out a slight smile at the sight of Sana behaving like a kid when it concerns her favorite food.



 

***



 

“Omph! Ow ow ow-” She grabbed at her arm and tries to stop the stinging effect.

 

Sana was running over to greet her neighbour. A little rock seated right in the middle of the sidewalk got possessed by the devil long enough to send the girl tripping over and onto her neighbour as well.

 

Again.

 

Tzuyu chuckles and pushes herself up from the ground to look at the latter, “That habit of yours, Sana unnie. You alright there?”

 

“Unbelievable. I know. How many times has it been this week?” She asks while fanning at her arm.

 

The Taiwanese girl pretended to be in deep thought, “Probably more than what my fingers can count...”

 

“That’s… kinda a lot.” Sana laughs awkwardly. Scratching at her nape unconsciously, she was momentarily distracted from the pain.

 

“It’s been about a couple months since we met, but a few more tripping like this and I’d be able to guess your weight soon.” She smiles at how nervous Sana gets with her presence.

 

Sana felt a gush of heat rush up to her cheeks and she hops off Tzuyu quickly, “Oh my gosh sorry, what was I even doing- ugh!” She facepalms.

 

“Had a bad week?” Tzuyu gets up after Sana got off her.

 

“Actually, yeah…”

 

“Wanna talk about it?”

 

Sana sighs, “I don’t know, not today. My brain’s almost about dead now so- yeah um, I... I better be off. Have a good evening hey?”

 

“You too... Dear neighbour.” Tzuyu chuckles teasingly and waves before turning around to walk off the other direction.


 

Dear Diary,

 

I’m trying really hard...



 

Sana dashes back into the house pronto. Cheeks on fire. She slams the door shut quickly, making Momo jump and drop her fruit tart. The tart looked rather artistic splattered across their neat wooden flooring.

 

“What the hell, Sana?!” She cries at the twisted fate of her tart.

 

“S-Sorry! Lost control!”

 

She catches the flustered look on the other girl’s face before bending to clear up her fallen snack, scowling in the process, “Apparently... You look like a wild animal chased you.”

 

“Well…”

 

“Ah…” Momo gave a deadpan squint while straightening up, crossing her arms, “So what happened?”

 

“I…”

 

Momo frowns, “What happened?”

 

“There’s something… I don’t know!” Sana sighs loudly and pouts, “I don’t even understand what’s going on with myself!”

 

“Is it Tzuyu?”

 

Sana felt her breath catch at the name, “What Tz-Tzu…”

 

“Why am I even surprised…” Momo rolls her eyes.

 

“Don’t say it like that…”

 

“Say it like what?”

 

“S-Say it like i-i’m doing something that I shouldn’t be doing...” Sana looks away.

 

“For the love of jokbal and forsaken squirrels in the forests… all’s fair in love and war.”

 

“Do I even wanna know what’s a jokbal?” She chuckles slightly.

 

“Pig trotters.”

 

Sana couldn’t resist a soft laugh despite the restlessness taking over her mind, body and pretty much all of her. What was making her so whiny and jumpy the past weeks ever since…


 

I’m trying really hard but there’s just something...


 

“So how’s your story coming along anyway?”

 

“Story?” Sana blinks, “Ah story…”

 

Momo fights the urge to throw the ruined tart at her, “Your work.” She says with very squinted eyes, “The romance novel.”

 

“Oh that.” Sana nods, “No.” She says while looking at the floor.

 

“No?”

 

“No as in… it’s not gonna work out… I don’t know… Nothing’s working out well lately.” She meets Momo’s eyes and shakes her head, “I don’t know what to do… It’s almost done.”

 

Momo’s eyes softens, “Don’t give up just yet. Hang in there... It can’t get worse.”



 

There’s just something about her that I cannot ignore no matter how hard I try. This isn’t right, isn’t it...




 

***




 

“Penny for your thoughts?”

 

Sana jumps at the sudden voice from behind.

 

Seated at a wooden bench, across the lake, she watched the ducklings fight over bits of food tossed into the waters. It’s been awhile since the weak will managed to have her come out of the house.

 

“T-Tzuyu? What are you doing here at this hour?”

 

“Hi again, Neighbour.” The younger girl smiles and takes her seat.

 

Sana chuckles and shifts to make space, “You’re always calling me that.”

 

“Figured this was easier since you always get awkward when I use your real name.” Tzuyu states, making the other blush right on cue.

 

“I-I do?”

 

Tzuyu’s amused grin was the answer.

 

Sana clears , “So um... what are you doing here?”

 

“Had a late party with the campus mates and saw you here while passing by. You?”

 

“Thinking about life.”

 

Tzuyu blinks and slowly nods, “Sounds... deep.”

 

Sana kicks her shoes on the ground, “How deep can a writer get?”

 

“Writer?”

 

“I’m one of the... umm… really unpopular writers from Intensifying Imagination Publications. Heard of it?”

 

“Mhm, I’ve heard of it. It’s kinda famous...” She notices the look on Sana’s face, “Maybe you shouldn’t be too hard on yourself.”

 

“You think so?” Sana turns to look at the other.

 

Tzuyu stands up abruptly, holding her hand out, “Come on.”

 

“Wait- Where are we going? I’ve got to get back to my writing soon...”

 

“I’m gonna take you up that tree.”

 

“W-What tree?” Sana blinks in surprise, “Uh… No, no, I don’t think-” She gave the exit of the park a side glance.

 

“You won’t regret it.” Tzuyu does not spare her a moment of contemplation, pulling the girl out of her seat and tugging on her sleeve. Sana follows her rather reluctantly to the large oak.

 

“Is this safe...?” Sana raps her knuckles hard against the trunk of the tree.

 

“Trust me.” Tzuyu tightens her grip on Sana’s hand, “Okay, left foot here and right foot there.” She indicates the spots.

 

“Are you being serious?” Sana searches the eyes of the other and sees nothing but sincerity.

 

“Never more serious.”

 

“Okay…” Sana exhales loudly and gingerly attempts to begin her climb, “Right foot where?”

 

The younger one shifts herself over, “Right foot here.” She lifts Sana’s foot up to the small crank in the trunk, “Don’t worry, I’ll be with you all the way.”

 

“Um… Just so you know... I’m terrified of heights.”

 

Tzuyu follows behind carefully, “And I won’t let you fall.”

 

“Well!” Her voice was shrill with fear, “You’re dead if that happens.” Sana struggles to say while hoisting herself up.

 

There was a light sound of laughter which made Sana blush again despite the fear building up, “It’s not like you’ve not crushed me with your weight before, you know?”

 

“Hey! No smart, potty mouth talk now!” Sana was exasperated, “Don’t let me fall or else!”

 

“Relax… You’re doing really well...” Tzuyu murmurs while watching.


 

“Tell me why did I let you convince me to do this again...” Sana whines as they were halfway about to reach the large bough on top, trying to find a stable resting position.

 

“It’s therapeutic.”

 

“Really? All this heart thumping I’m feeling…” She gestures with her hands, “Is therapeutic?”

 

“Don’t worry about falling. Just come over here first.” Tzuyu guides Sana to sit beside her on the large bough, comfortable enough to lean back. She feels Sana still tensing and holds onto the girl’s arm firmly, “Relax. You’re not gonna fall.”

 

“It’s an awful long way down, by the way.” The girl’s eyes were frightened.

 

“Well, don’t look down.” She gently lifts the chin of the older girl, turning her face to the view out of the tree top, “Look far out instead...”

 

“No! I’m not going to-” Her voice cuts off as her eyes caught the scenery ahead, “Oh… Oh wow...” She utters, finding herself awed.

 

The view from where they sat in the tree overlooks the meadow and past the meadows would be the city. She could see the tiny flickering lights from the town. It is night now and everything just… sparkles...

 

“It’s... beautiful.” She whispers.

 

“Yes, very.” Tzuyu had a contented smile.

 

“How did you know about this?” She asks softly, not looking away from the sparkling lights.

 

“I did some exploring on my own.” The younger says with matching volume.

 

She turns to look at Tzuyu, “You explored… up here?”

 

“Hard to believe hmm?” The girl chuckles.

 

“Kinda. No one climbs trees these days.” Sana finds her gaze shifting downwards again but Tzuyu held onto her hand, distracting her.

 

“I wonder why... I mean look at that.” She gestures at the scenery, murmuring softly, “It’s amazing.”

 

Sana finds herself looking at Tzuyu in the eyes, “Yeah… It is.”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“You’re amazing.” She repeats and then coughs, looking away.

 

Tzuyu laughs awkwardly and looks away as well, “Okay, too much praising there...”

 

“And you’re blushing. Wow...”

 

“No I’m not.” Tzuyu clears .

 

“Aw, you are blushing.”

 

“Stop teasing or I’ll leave you up here.” Tzuyu pretends to get up.

 

“Wait! No!”

 

“I’m just kidding.” She grins, “So… what’s up with that writing thing? Tell me about it.”

 

“You really wanna know?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Just some romance novel I’m supposed to write or they’ll get rid of me soon.”

 

“Oh… Sounds bad... Is it tough?”

 

“It’s really embarrassing to say it but… I at romance.”

 

“Ah…” Tzuyu smiles unconsciously.

 

“Why? You find this funny?” Sana finds herself smiling at Tzuyu’s smile.

 

“Au contraire…”

 

Sana raises a brow at the use of French.




 

“I find you adorable.”