When They First Met...

Yours Truly, Minatozaki Sana

 

A/N:  This was supposed to be a three shot story but I think I'm gonna further spread out the chapters to make it smoother. I hope you like it! :' )

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

He stares hard at the papers clutched tightly with shaky hands. Speechless.

 

She stares at him intently, leaning slightly forward at the opposite end of his desk, biting at her lower lip, “So…” She couldn’t help breaking the silence.

 

“This?” His wide eyes turned to look at her.

 

She swallows, “Y-Yeah.”

 

“Okay Sana… ahem... Minatozaki Sana…” He clears his throat, using a free hand to adjust the thick glasses resting on his large nose, “This won’t do.” His gaze, however, went livid again, “Have you seen your popularity rating, Sana?”

 

She flinches at the question.

 

“Well, obviously not since no one has seen it either because you aren’t popular enough.” He continued sarcastically, watching her withdraw back into her seat, “With that said, have you even taken into your head the things I’ve been telling you for the past year?”

 

She shakes her head slowly, eyes focused on her hands.

 

“Good grief.” He pinches his nose bridge, closing his eyes dramatically, “Oh good lord, help us.”

 

She felt like she should apologise.

 

“No, no, no.” He glares sharply at her suddenly, startling her a little, “Do not give me that look. That helpless innocent look of yours.”

 

“I wasn’t-”

 

“No no no, don’t you dare argue now Sana.” He scowls, “Seriously, you are by far one of our most… unpromising writers.”

 

She allows herself a small sigh.

 

Tossing a book across the desk for her to look at, “Remember that? Your first novel about a boy who... loves eating doughnuts.” He shudders before tossing another book over, “Your second book about an alien whose mission is to... eat hamburgers on Earth… Oh good lord.”

 

The man looked like he was about to burst into tears now. Sana finds her eyes shifting to the tissue box to the left of the table but made no move to retrieve it.

 

“Sana, Sana…” He sighs and looks at her with a incomprehensible expression, “When will you start writing something… normal?”

 

She chokes, “I thought that was an interesti-”

 

“No no no. Don’t talk back to me like that, young girl.” He wagged a finger in her face.

 

“Please give me another chance. Anything, I’ll do my best.” She pouts.

 

He glares hard at her, “Hm…”

 

“You know I try really hard, Mr Polland.”

 

“I know…” He hasn’t quit squinting at her, “And so I’ll give you another chance. Write a romance novel. Have the first drafts done by the next month. I’m expecting well from you, Minatozaki Sana.”

 

She cringed inwardly at the use of her full name.

 

“T-Thank you, Sir…”




 

***






 

“I can’t… This is hopeless! I’m not gonna make it!” She wails and bangs her head against the table top.

 

“What are you doing, Sana?!” A blond came out quickly upon the ruckus and caresses the table top, making sure nothing was broken.

 

She scowls a little at the teasing act, “Shouldn’t I get more loving than the table, Momo?”

 

“Then you shouldn’t have attacked it.” Momo chuckles and shifts to rest her head against the distressed girl, peering at the laptop screen.

 

“I wasn’t attacking-” She pouts, “It’s not even alive!”

 

“Shush you big baby.” Momo pinches the slightly chubby cheeks, “Now what was that earlier tantrum about?”

 

“Mr Polland is gonna fire me from the publishing company.”

 

“No way!” The blonde gasped upon hearing the news.

 

“Well, he didn’t, but he’s going to. This is kinda like my last assignment...” Her voice trails off.

 

“Really?” Momo bends over again to look at the screen of the laptop, “And you’re... writing a romance novel. Wow.”

 

“Mhm… You know how bad I at that…”

 

“Can’t even deny it.” Momo felt an involuntary scoff escapes .

 

“So I’ve spent the entire of yesterday thinking about this and…” Sana clenches her fists, channeling her fighting spirit while looking at Momo, “I’m gonna find myself a love partner.” She gave a firm nod at the end.

 

Momo almost choked, “W-What?!”

 

“Yeap I’m gonna find myself someone to love. Someone who’s gonna guide me in writing the romance novel. Well… discreetly, of course.” She chuckles dryly at the last part.

 

“That is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard from you.” The blonde shakes her head quickly after, “Scratch that, the aliens wanting to have burgers still tops everything.”

 

Sana scoffs too, “Excuse me, but do you know how many people would actually want to read about the diets of aliens?”

 

“No they don’t and don’t ask how I would know because I just know.” Momo raised a hand to signal the end of the argument.

 

“So much for liberty.” Sana rolls her eyes.

 

Momo ignores that comment casually, “By the way, shouldn’t we be greeting our new neighbour?” Fixing her top, “I don’t want to seem rude about it.”

 

“Oh, yeah we should. Where’s the new cookie jar? She can have that.”

 

“Right, the cookies. Good idea.” Momo was already shuffling into the kitchen.

 

“Do you think she’s Japanese like us?” Sana suddenly asks, earning herself a chuckle from the other.

 

“Would be lovely, but that doesn’t change the fact that we’ll still be making friends with her.” There goes one of her strange creepy smiles.

 

“You’ve seen her, haven’t you?” Sana squints, recognising that rare playful glint in the blonde’s eyes.

 

“Yes I have. Haven’t spoke yet though.”

 

“Ah well.” Sana finishes with packing her table, “Got that cookie jar? Come on, let’s go say hi.”




 

***





 

Meeting foreign people can be interesting.

 

Right after the minute of exchanging ‘hi’s, Sana and Momo finds their tongue twisted together trying to get their pronunciation as accurate as possible.

 

“Tzu… Yu…” Momo tries to say for the millionth time.

 

The girl gave a weak smile, “Tzuyu.” Her voice rolls of the Chinese characters smoothly, sending goosebumps over their skins.

 

“Tzuyu…” Sana says again, getting an approving smile this time.

 

“Close enough, Sana unnie.” There was that dazzling smile again, “Is it alright to call you both unnies?”

 

“Of course! And where did you say you were from again Tzuyu?” Momo asks.

 

“Taiwan.”

 

“With your family or on your own?” Sana’s eyes shone with curiosity.

 

“On my own for now, my family will only join later.” Tzuyu grins and the two Japanese girls find themselves staring a little too long.

 

“Are you done packing? Do you need help?” The blonde offers politely.

 

“Um… I’m almost done but thanks Momo unnie…”

 

“How about having dinner with us later?” Sana chimes in cheerfully.

 

“Maybe not, I’m not too hungry.” Tzuyu turns around for abit to look at her living room.

 

“It’s usually just the two of us, so don’t worry about it being too overwhelming.” Sana persists.

 

“Our dinners are always overwhelming though.” Momo gestures to show how much they eat.

 

Sana gave Momo a strange look, “Yeah that’s because you can’t cook and end up burning stuff.” She clears while remembering they were in the midst of a new friend, “Regardless... it will be fun and the food will be edible, I promise!” She grins at Tzuyu.

 

Tzuyu finds herself chuckling slightly at their silly antics, “Thanks for inviting me.”