May 12th

War Diaries

I've got to get working on this again. I hope it doesn't become too confusing with additional diaries. I hope the different fonts help to distinguish. It would be awkward to always write "Onew's diary, Jonghun's diary ... etc." above the notes which are short enough.

This btw. is not due to my laziness but because this is how most people I know write diaries. 

Anyway, I hope you keep reading and commenting. Thank you very much as always. Oh, and one more thing: I'm using more and more references to actually existing places and probably political issues. I would like to know if I should add footnotes to explain a little bit (although I'm not an expert either). So if you don't know about JSA e.g. please let me know.

------------------------------------------------------------

12 May

We’re moving South-West towards Paju tomorrow. They want to secure the Imjin border-area. Intelligence apparently has found out something about reinforcement of troops on enemy-territory near the Joint Security Area.

I have no idea what that means for us, whether this makes things more dangerous or an open war more likely. But everybody is really tense.

 

12 May

When I was a kid I always wanted to go to Panmunjon to see the Joint Security Area. Ever since watching “JSA” this has been a “when I finally have time, I’ll go and visit” thing. But I never went.

Now we’ll be moving our headquarters to Paju which is only a couple of miles away from that place.

Paju is being evacuated at the moment. More than 400.000 people have to leave their homes.

We’re assigned to assist with the evacuation which is something I’ll gladly do, since it doesn’t involve any violence or at least that’s what I hope.

I will also be closer to our home and maybe even get the chance to head down to Seoul do see Mom and Seodam and Roo.

I wonder if more of us will be stationed around the Western area now since it seems the North-Koreans are going to concentrate their forces in that region. Maybe I’ll see some of the others there.

 

12 May

Everybody seems to be moving to Paju. I got messages from Jinki and Jonghyun. In spite of the situation altogether I’m almost happy because we might meet somehow.

I also heard that Taemin has been taken back to Seoul because of an injury. I’m not sure that it’s true though. There weren’t any news about fights in the East. I just hope he’s alright. I keep trying to contact his parents but it’s hard to get through to anyone.

Yesterday I got a message from my Hyung. He has been ordered back to Seoul and asked if we could meet. I really hope I’ll be able to see him.

It was just a short note but he wrote that he’d seen Kibum’s squad while in the mountains on enemy territory.  He didn’t write anything about Bummie himself though.