02- Brown

Book 1: Children of the Moon

02- Brown

 

It was a blur for her, the way she passed the streetlights, passed the buildings, and passed her and Seulgi’s favorite ice cream shop. She finds everything a bit too fast. Maybe because she’s driving on the way to pick up her sister, or maybe it’s because her heart is suddenly pounding a bit erratically. She blames it on the coffee she drank a while back, or was it the brown eyes she had stared into.

 

She remembers the brown eyes. And it seems like everything slows down for her, the blur of the trees she’s passing by are not just mixes of greens anymore but instead, she can see the shape of each and every piece of leaves . She sees the oranges and the greens and the yellow hues of them that sometimes mixed with reds and blues.

 

“Hey, unnie~” a tap on the window brought her out of her thoughts. Her sister waved at her, followed by someone grinning and eyes twinkling next to her baby bear.

 

“Hey, Yeri~ Want a ride?”

 

“REALLY, UNNIE?!!” the youngest asked and Yuri had to laugh at the adorableness of the girl.

 

“Yeah. Come on, hop on in, guys.” and the two high school girls happily climbed inside. “Put on your seatbelts.” She reminded before stepping on the gas and driving them back home.

 

“How was your day, unnie?” Yeri asked as she was looking at Yuri in the rear view mirror.

 

“Hmm, it was okay. Your sister was looking for you early in the morning. Why didn’t you want to ride with her?”

 

“Tiffany unnie talks a lot while she’s driving. Sometimes she doesn’t even focus on the road! I’m scared for my life! I’m too young to die!!” Yeri exclaimed and Yuri and her sister can’t help laughing at that.

 

“I’ll make sure to chastise Ppany when I see her again.” she promised before turning her attention to her sister. “How about you? How was your day?”

 

“It was okay, unnie.”

 

“Okay?! Unnie! Seulgi unnie received three confessions today!” Yeri tattled. Yuri rose her eyebrows.

 

“...And?”

 

“And I rejected them.” Seulgi answered, shrugging her shoulders cooly. Yuri sighed and thanked the heavens above. She wouldn’t know what she would do if she heard that her precious baby sister suddenly has a boyfriend.

 

“I can’t believe she rejected Naeun sunbae! She’s like the most popular girl in school!” The youngest exclaimed and Seulgi rolled her eyes.

 

“I don’t care if she’s the most popular person in the world… I don’t like her.” Her? Okay… Yuri rephrases the words in her head.. She doesn’t know what she would do if her precious baby bear suddenly had a boyfriend or  a girlfriend.

 

“You don’t care because you got your eyes set on We-”

 

“KIM YERIM!” Seulgi shouted, red faced, as she reached for the maknae at the back seat.

 

“Yah! Stop that, you guys” Yuri shouted, stopping in front of their houses. “Yeri this is your stop. I’ll see you tomorrow~”

 

“Bye, Yuri unnie!~ Thank you and take care~~” Yeri grinned as she shot Seulgi an evil smile before running towards her house. Yuri parked her car at their garage and turned off the engine, her sister quickly got off and ran towards the driver’s side to open the door. She rolled her eyes at her sister.

 

“Seriously, Seulgi. I can do that myself! I’m older than you, I should be doing that.”

 

“But unnie~~”

 

“Are you practicing for your future girlfriend? Who is this girl I’m hearing from Yeri, huh?” Her sister blushed once again and she can’t help but ruffle Seulgi’s hair once again, making the bun loose and her sister’s hair falling down past her shoulders.

 

“Unnniiiiiieeee~~ stooooppp~ She’s just a friend!”

 

“Uh-huh, okay. But kid, I don’t want to be hearing that you got a girlfriend from someone else’s mouth. I would really feel hurt.” She pouted and Seulgi hugged her tight.

 

“You won’t unnie. You’re the first one who’ll know.”

 

The next day, after she dropped Seulgi off to school, she saw a glimpse of purple and blue and she slowed down her car. Their eyes connected once more, a familiar feeling spreading through her, her mind had given her a short flashback of a girl’s smile before it was gone in an instant. She stopped her car and lowered down her window.

 

“Jessica~” she called out, eyes unwavering from the other’s.

 

“Hello, Yuri~” she smiled and for a second Yuri thought she found something from inside her but was lost a split second later.

 

“Are you heading to school?” a nod, “get in, I’ll drive us.”

 

“A-are you sure?” Jessica asked as she lowered her gaze, breaking eye contact with Yuri.

 

“Yes, don’t worry! I’m heading there anyways.” Jessica nodded and climbed inside Yuri’s car, the latter motioned for the seatbelt and Jessica laughed and Yuri was stunned. It sounds so familiar, sounds like something she had heard before. Was it in church? because this melodious laughter is holy and can be counted as a gospel song.

 

No. This feels like something more. Something she wants to remember but can’t.

 

“Yul, you okay?” She was brought back to the present by the brown orbs and was embarrassed to be caught staring.

 

“Yeah, sorry. I just-- let’s go?” Jessica giggled at her and she couldn’t help but smile as she started driving down the road towards their university. They got out of the car, hesitant to leave the other person, bodies just a feet apart. It was Jessica who spoke first.

 

“My class is about to start. I’d like to thank you properly… do you want to have lunch with me? or coffee?”

 

“Lunch sounds good. What time does your class end?”

 

“Around 12:30.”

 

“Great. My class ends the same time. I’ll see you here?” Jessica nodded before starting to walk the opposite direction of where Yuri’s class is. The latter smiled while walking and all the way through her class and it’s like she can’t wait for the clock to hit twelve already.

 

“Hey, Yuwree~ What do you want for lunch?” Tiffany asked, hands pulling Sooyoung’s ears for attempting to sneak the chocolates she brought for them out of her bag.

 

“Hmm,can’t. I’m having lunch with someone.” and that seemed to stop the pulling of ears and the grabbing of chocolates.

 

“Excuse me? Sorry, I think I heard it wrong.” Sooyoung said as she rubbed her ears.

 

“What did you just say, Yuwree?” Yuri rolled her eyes at her friends.

 

“I’m eating lunch with a new friend.” Can Yuri call her that? A friend? When she barely knows Jessica even tho her soul is screaming something otherwise? She shrugged off the feeling and focused on her two friends glaring at her.

 

“We’re your only friends, Kwon!”

 

“You are so not my only friends, Choi!”

 

“Kwon Yuwree, who is this person you are ditching us for?!”

 

“I’m not ditching you? I just told you I’m eating with someone else right now.” she shrugged as she grabbed her backpack and started heading out, leaving the two baffled girls. She had walked quickly towards her car and she saw a flitter of blue and purple before her eyes met with the one she’s been looking forward to seeing again.

 

“Hey, did you wait long?” she asked, just to make sure that she still has her voice with her.

 

“Nope, i just got here myself. Let’s go?”

 

“Okay. Where do you want to eat?”

 

“I know this great restaurant just outside campus. You don’t mind walking, right?”

 

“Not at all.” She answered and Jessica nodded happily before starting to walk in the direction of the school gates.

 

 

 

Their lunch was filled with laughter and getting to know each other. Her brain kept on flashing the same images to her-- brown hair, pink lips, warmness. She can’t help but bask in the feeling. And suddenly, one lunch out turned into two, then three, then ten, and before you know it, she had stopped counting. Her mind had been reminding her so much of her past friend whenever she’s with Jessica that she had been often wondering if Tiffany was right. Is the friend she cared for considered her first love? Her days were suddenly filled with colours and melody and warmness at this thought. Her two best friends had about being in love with how much she had been hanging out with her new found best friend. But is she? No, not yet, but she might be, if not for only one person she’s wanting to see again.

 

 

 

“So wait, hold up. You’re saying that you don’t want to be in a relationship because of someone from your past?” Jessica asked as she sipped on her strawberry milkshake. They were at the Kwon’s residence, hanging out. Yuri nodded.

 

“She’s been like that ever since we were kids.” Tiffany commented, rolling her eyes at Yuri.

 

“Unnie really loves that friend of hers.” Seulgi mumbled as she looked through her phone with a smile on her face.

 

“But you don’t know the girl’s name?” Jessica asked, fixing her blue cardigan.

 

“I vaguely remember anything back then….. It’s still a blur to me… but I remember a smile, and warmness.. She was really warm.” Yuri sighed.

 

“And Seulgi unnie never saw this girl?” Yeri asked, poking said unnie in the tummy and wiggling her eyebrows teasingly.

 

“No. I’ve never seen another kid with Yuri unnie.” Seulgi answered, cheeks tinted a bit pink.

 

“That’s weird.” Tiffany mumbled.

 

“Maybe the girl would only visit Yuri when she’s alone.” Jessica voiced out and Yuri’s head quickly turned to Jessica. Their eyes connected and she felt that familiar tug from inside her. They kept on staring at one another, eyes searching for something. Something she wants. Something she needs. Something that she can’t still grasp. It’s there but at the same time it’s not and suddenly she’s drowning in those brown orbs that could make flowers bloom by how magical it is.

 

“Eh-HEM” Tiffany fake coughed and the two were brought out of their own world. “Like I was asking, can’t you remember anything else?” she was smirking knowingly and teasingly at Yuri now. The latter shrugged.

 

“There are some things that I remember she did. I would really like to find her… Maybe I should..” She mumbled.

 

“I’ll help you, unnie.” Seulgi volunteered.

 

“We’ll all help you, Yuri.” Tiffany added, smiling kindly at her friend.

 

“Tiffany unnie’s correct~ We’ll help you out, unnie!~” Yeri grinned, hugging her sister proudly. Yuri beamed and in the corner of her eyes saw Jessica smile at her and she swore she saw the girl’s eyes sparkle like the stars in the sky and she was enraptured once again in those never ending brown orbs.

 

 

 

 

 

-----

So this is the second chapter~
I'll see you guys next week!
Comments are always appreciated ;v;/

-Bunneh