06- Explosions

Book 1: Children of the Moon

06- Explosions

 

She was extremely happy. It was a blur and she was thrilled that for the past few weeks, she and Taeyeon had hit it off completely. Both liking the same things, even the same style. She had noticed that the older one often has something lilac in her attire and she figured that this is her favourite color, so when she saw a pretty lilac cloth braided bracelet, she had quickly bought it in hopes that Taeyeon will like it. But then a tiny glimmer caught her attention. A silver bracelet, adorned by tiny stars and finishes of with a bell on the lock, suddenly reminded her of brown eyes that she can drown into, the smile that carries the glimmer of the universe, and the hearth inside her that’s carrying the flicker of warmth that’s slowly becoming a fire. She didn’t have to think. She had impulsively bought the accessory.

 

“Hey, Yuwree~” Tiffany greeted, entering the classroom and shooting eyesmiles at everyone.

 

“Morning~ Why are you being extremely happy today?”

 

“My little baby sister Yeri finally let me drive her to school!!!” Tiffany squealed. Yuri laughed at her friend.

 

“Did everything turn out well?”

 

“Hmm, yeah.. Though whenever I try to look at her face she would immediately tell me to not do it and focus on the road.” Her friend scrunched up her chunky eyebrows and she laughed some more.

 

“You should listen to your sister~”

 

“Whatever. How about you? What are you up to these days? I haven’t heard much from you and we’re neighbors so that says a lot!”

 

“SHE’S BEEN HANGING OUT WITH TAEYEON. YURI HOW DARE YOU DROP ME FOR HER. I THOUGHT I WAS YOUR PARTNER IN CRIME, YOUR STUPID TWIN I’M-”

 

“You’ve been hanging out with her a lot, huh?” Tiffany asked. Yuri shrugged as she grinned widely, completely ignoring her other (fuming) friend.

 

“It’s funny. We like the same things and style. She gets my humor-”

 

“I GET YOUR HUMOR!” Sooyoung interjected.

 

“-and she’s funny too.” she continued like she wasn’t interrupted.

 

“I’M FUNNY TOO, KWON!”

 

“And she’s cute.”

 

“I’M THE CUTEST!!”

 

“Sooyoung, calm down.” Tiffany pulled Sooyoung to sit down as the latter was giving Yuri puppy eyes.

 

“Soo, chill. You’re still my stupidly cute friend.” and that seems to ease Sooyoung’s mind as she finally slumped on her chair with a smug look that says, ‘Take that, Taeyeon!’ before listening attentively to Yuri.

 

“Are you sure she’s your childhood friend?” Tiffany inquired seriously.

 

“I’m pretty sure. I mean she knows the song!” she exclaimed and looked at her friend in question,

 

“Why?” Tiffany shrugged.

 

“I don’t know…. It’s just… There’s something about her...It doesn’t connect for me, but just ignore me, I might just be overthinking things. I’m glad you’re happy though, Yul~” her friend smiled.

 

“As long as she doesn’t take you away as my partner in crime, I’m good!” Sooyoung exclaimed and she rolled her eyes at her sweet but stupid friend.

 

 

Lunch time came by and Jessica had found herself in the presence of none other than her favorite person, Yuri. She had been invited by the latter for another lunch out which she often calls dates  in her mind. She was elated to see the taller one again, it’s been a while since they last saw each other which was a bit weird for her since she has heard that her unnie, Taeyeon, had been hanging out a lot with Yuri.

 

“Hey, Sica, did you wait long?” Yuri asked as she was jogging towards her with the smile she loves so much and soon enough they were staring at each other again and the explosions began from inside her. She has waited this long to see her again and she’s not going to let her out of her sight any time soon. Seeds had been planted in her heart back then and was just beginning to bloom before it was stopped by the sudden disappearance of her.

 

But that’s not important. What’s important is now the seeds have been sowed and turned into beautiful flowers that even the night sky is ashamed at the beauty of it all. She smiles at Yuri.

 

“I did... ” The taller one pouted and she smiled wider, “but that’s fine. You’re here now and that’s what matters~” I can wait a million lightyears for you.

 

“It’s my treat for today~ Oh you don’t mind me inviting Taeyeon, right?” She looks at Yuri a bit confused.

 

“..yeah, no problem…?”

 

“I just have something to give to her~” Yuri smiled and she was enraptured once again. She nodded her head, trying her best to get her heart rate to slow down but that doesn’t seem to happen whenever the other girl is around and she’s not complaining at all. This  feeling of warmthness that Yuri gives off makes her erratic but at the same time, she is covered with calmness and security.

 

They had entered the cafe they were having lunch in and she had immediately noticed Yuri getting excited and waving at someone like there's no tomorrow. She rose her eyebrows and look at the person only to see Taeyeon grinning and waving back. She rolled her eyes and they walked on over to where her sister is at.

 

“Yuri~Thank you for inviting me over~ It’s a nice change from just being in the house.”

 

“No problem, Taeng!~ It’s always such a happy thing when I get to hang out with you~” Yuri had immediately answered, flopping down on the chair in front of the oldest. Jessica followed as she sat beside Yuri who was grinning from ear to ear. She thought that the tanned one seems to be in a perky mood today and it made her unconsciously smile.

 

They had ordered their lunch and had laughed and chatted with each other. She felt a bit left out at times whenever the two would mention something about the random adventures and hang-outs they did and some of the eventful things that happened. But at the same time, she feels really convivial about the fact that her Taeyeon unnie is having fun and being social with the most special person in her life nonetheless. They had finished their lunch and Yuri had insisted to pay for everything.

 

“Oh yeah, Taeng~ Before I forget..” Yuri grinned, opening her messenger bag and pulling out a wrapped present and handing it to the oldest, “I saw this and it reminded me of you… I hope you like it.” Taeyeon looked a bit taken aback, with wide eyes as she held the wrapped present carefully.

 


“Y-you didn’t have to buy me anything, Yul...” the oldest mumbled as she looked at the gift.

 

“Nah, it was nothing~ You can open it if you want...” It was cute how Yuri was blushing. Taeyeon had nodded her head and gingerly unwrapped the gift, revealing the lilac colored bracelet. The oldest beamed and had immediately put it on.

 

“Thanks, Yul! I love it~” the tanned girl blushed and Jessica giggled. She was ecstatic about everything, remembering the younger girl she often visited and sang to and would leave her cookies to eat once in awhile, she had reminisced much too often about said girl and that captivating brown eyes. It was untainted and broken and she had found her in time to try and heal it.

 

They were walking together by the park where she had pulled Yuri to play. Taeyeon had bid her farewell after lunch saying that she still needs to get back to her work and they had  walked her to the bus stop with Yuri offering and saying that she could drive Taeyeon home. She had rolled her eyes at the latter and had asked her if she wanted to walk around and here they were, sitting by the swings again.

 

“Thank you, Sica~” her best friend proclaimed and she had smiled as she cocked her head to the side in question.

 

“What about?”

 

“Remember when I told you about my childhood friend?” Her eyes widened, is this it? Has Yuri figured it out? She was giddy. Excited. Flowers were blooming for inside her, explosions were happening in her heart, she was nervous but she was ready. She had waited eleven years for this. She waited for the taller one to continue as she nodded her head.

 

“I found her! I can’t believe it really! She was so close all along!” She feels like she was about to faint from all the excitement and nervousness of waiting for Yuri to say the name. Her name. “It’s Taeyeon!” The explosions stopped. The flowers blooming within her had halted. Did she hear it correctly?

 

“W-what?”

 

“I can’t believe it’s your sister all along!” Yuri exclaimed, jumping off of the swing and standing in front of Jessica. “Thank you, Sica!~ If I haven’t met you...” Yuri kneeled down in front of her as she looked at her eyes so sincerely and Jessica was lost once again at the brown warmness that’s filled with everything she had been looking for. It looked almost whole, almost perfect, but it’s not quite there.

 

“..A-are you s-sure it’s Taeyeon unnie?” she asked with a quiver in her voice she couldn’t hide.

 

“Yes! I saw her, that night we went to the amusement park. After we dropped you off, Seulgi and I went for ice cream and it was there...I heard her voice! She was singing the song!” The flowers that were blooming from inside her suddenly felt like it had sprouted thorns. The explosions didn’t stop but instead turned fierce and harsh, shooting pains through her heart. She was ready but she wasn’t ready for this.

 

“Thank you, Jessica~ Thank you so much!” Yuri was kneeling in front of her, rummaging through her bag until she pulled out a small wrapped box. “This caught my attention and I had impulsively bought it without thinking who I’ll give it to… As I was about to place it in my drawer last night, I looked at it one more time and it’s like it clicked. This was meant for you.” Her hands was shaking as she took the gift from Yuri. She carefully unwrapped it and was met with a blue box, she opened it and gasp as she saw the silver bracelet adorned by stars.

 

“Here, let me put it on for you!~” Yuri mumbled as she took the bracelet out of the box and gently placed it on Jessica’s wrist, locking it in place with the jingle of the bell being heard.

 

“Thank you, Yuri-ah” She mumbled as the tanned one grinned at her before standing up and surprising her in a hug.

 

“You’re the best.” and she wanted to scream. Scream because this was not how she thought this would go. Scream because the thorns from inside her is twisting itself and it hurts. Scream because the explosions hasn’t stopped and she’s in pain. Scream because she can’t do anything about it. She’s not allowed to meddle. She just wants to scream because Yuri is human and she’s not.

 
 
------
AHhhh~ Surprise!!~~ I'll be updating twice this week, jsyk~
See you soon!~