01- Humming

Book 1: Children of the Moon

01- Humming

It was all a blur for her. She doesn’t remember much of everything back then, all she remembers was the pain, and the wait for it all to stop, and the anxiousness of it starting again. Her mom and dad calls her their brave girl every time she finished one session and she didn’t understand why and when she asked them, they would smile at her and tell her it’s because she had gotten through another round, but at night when her parents think that she’s sleeping, she can hear them sob into one another and she was clueless. Maybe because she was still young (she was only 8 y/o back then) that’s why she didn’t understand why her parents would put up a happy face in front of her and break down the second that they thought she was in dreamland.

She remembers a girl though. A girl who would sneak into her room, always dressed in layers of purple and blue, and would talk to her, telling her that she’s going to be okay and that she just have to be brave a little more before the girl would sing her a song.

 

“You’re humming again.” her little sister brought her out of her thoughts. She smiled as she closed her bag and swung it to her shoulders.

 

“Am I?” she asked and her sister shrugged. She laughed and pulled her sister in a hug and ruffled her hair.

 

“Yuri unnniiiieeee~~~ I just tied my hair in a bun!” Her sister whined.

 

“Is your bun more important than your y sister, huh Seulgi?” She asked and Seulgi rolled her eyes before latching herself onto her unnie.

 

“Of course not, unnie. I guess I’ll just go to school with messy hair.”

 

“Don’t be ridiculous! You can fix that in the car. Now, let’s go or you’ll be late~” she grinned as she gave Seulgi a peck on the forehead.

 

She treasured her little sister more than anything. Seulgi had been and still is her strength; back when she was doing her chemotherapy, Seulgi would stay with her the whole day and night, not leaving her until the pain was gone and all that’s left is the feeling of her little sister holding on to her like she would fade away anytime soon. It made her heart swell with warmth and affection. Seugi had sacrificed her childhood  just to stay beside her. Her cute little bear cub sister would refuse to go to school on days where she knew that Yuri would be getting her chemo. It made Yuri sad that her precious sister didn’t have any friends because all she wanted was to be beside her. So when she finally got out of the hospital, she made it her job to make sure Seulgi didn’t miss out on her remaining childhood and even going as far as introducing a blushing and embarrassed Seulgi to their new neighbors.

 

She stopped the car in front of Seulgi’s highschool and the bear had quickly gathered up her things.

 

“Text me when I need to pick you up, okay?” She smiled as she pulled her sister into a hug.

 

“Ah, unnie, you don’t have to pick me up! I can go home by myself~” Seulgi mumbled as he hugged her sister back. The latter just laughed and hugged her sister tighter.

 

“Just text me, okay? I love you~”

 

“Okay, unnie. I love you too. Please take care~”

 

“I always do~” she let go of her sister and gave her a wink. They were startled when someone tapped on the car’s window. They both looked at the culprit and saw a cute girl waving at them, donning a wide smile.

 

“Hello, unnieeeee~~~”

 

“Yerimiiiii~~” Seulgi called out as she stepped out of the car, quickly pulling the younger girl into her arms. Yeri giggled and looked across Seulgi’s shoulder, her eyes twinkling at the sight of her favourite unnie.

 

“Hey, Yuri unnie!~ Heading to school now?” Yuri laughed and nodded her head at their cute friend. “Please take care, unnie, I’ll see you soon~”

 

“Bye, Yerimi~~ Seulgi-ah~~ I’ll see you later. Be good~~” she waved goodbye before driving off towards her own school, a couple of blocks away from her sister’s. She parked her car and quickly got off and headed towards her class.

 

“Yuri, my man, my girl!” Came her friend’s blaring voice.

 

“Hey, Soo.” She greeted her close and psychotic friend. Yuri met Sooyoung the first semester of college. They were all freshmen and don’t know anyone yet, so imagine her shock when she sat down beside this totally normal looking girl and for said girl to look her dead straight in the eyes, saying, “I’m going to die”, as she pours a bottle of monster energy drink on her venti coffee and drinking it in one go. It freaked Yuri out until her other friend and neighbor, Tiffany, came marching in and hitting Sooyoung straight in the head. The two are apparently friends and Tiffany makes sure that Sooyoung doesn’t do things like this but the latter was out late last night to god knows where and didn’t want to miss the first day of college.

 

“Do you have the paper for our organic chem class?” Sooyoung asked and she nodded her head, taking out the said paper and showing it to her friend who only groaned.

 

“How do you even get all this confusing crap! I can’t even balance the chemicals properly!” She smiled at her friend.

 

“I can tutor you if you want.”

 

“You’re gods gift to me. You’re really going to be such a great Veterinarian~” Sooyoung grinned proudly and she beamed at her friend’s compliment. She had taken up veterinary because she loves all animals, especially dogs. She had wanted a pet ever since she was a child but having been diagnosed with leukemia, her parents didn’t have time for pets because they were busy tending to her and Seulgi. Once she was out of the hospital, she had asked them once again for a pet dog but still they were a bit hesitant due to her fragile state. But once she turned 18--making it the 10 year mark of her remission--and went to college and took up this course, her parents had finally gave in and now she has her cute dog Hani.

“Yuwreeeeee~~~” someone called her and she didn’t have to look to know that it’s her best friend and neighbor, Tiffany.

 

“Morning, Ppany” she greeted and the latter huffed.

 

“Did you see Yeri at school?”

 

“Yes. She was there when I dropped Seulgi off. She even said hi~” Tiffany huffed some more.

 

“I told her to wait for me so I could drive her to school but that little satan left the house while I was showering!”

 

“Why are you so mad?” Sooyoung asked.

 

“I wanted to drop her off and show her what a nice and loving sister I am but she’s being so evil and avoiding my love for her.”

 

“You’re exaggerating. Yeri’s a nice, sweet, and loving girl.” She defended and Tiffany scoffed.

 

“Yeah, maybe to you. She loves you and looks up to you so much.” The eye smiling girl sighed as she sat down on the other side of Yuri before looking at the latter with curious eyes, “what does she see in you that she can’t see in me?” She asked. Yuri shrugged before smirking,

 

“It’s the probably the fact that I’m ier and hotter than you.” Tiffany and Sooyoung rolled their eyes at the same time before pulling out their notes and waiting for the teacher to come.

 

It was lunch time when she had randomly hummed the song again and it was Sooyoung’s turn to notice it.

 

“You’re humming again.”

 

“Was I?”

 

“Yeah.” Sooyoung nodded. “You always hum the same song.”

 

“It’s the song that your mystery friend was singing, right?” Tiffany commented, handing Yuri her share of the 5 foot long sandwich the three of them were sharing.

 

“Yes. It just stuck to me. She helped me a lot. I wonder what’s happening with her now…”

 

“Don’t you remember her name or what she looked like? We can go over to those art students and ask them to draw her for us based on your description.” Sooyoung suggested and Tiffany had agreed way too enthusiastically at this.

 

“Nice idea guys but….” She paused, thinking about her next words,  “She didn’t tell me her name nor can I remember her face. It’s just a blur to me now… It was too long ago and a lot had already happened.” She finished.

 

“So your first love turns out to be your first heartbreak too.” Tiffany looked sad and Yuri rolled her eyes.

 

“Don’t give me that sappiness, Ppany. She was someone I cared for but I don’t think I can consider her my first love. You know me-”

 

“You don’t care for romance because all you care about now is graduating and Seulgi.” Her two friends recited like it was all memorized and had been said a lot of times in the past, which it actually had. Yuri glared at the two playfully.

 

“We know that Yul.” Sooyoung smiled.

 

“But you will never know when love will hit you…..” Tiffany mumbled, “and when it does, it will hit you hard.”

 

“It will hit me when I want it to hit me.” She stated firmly and that ended their discussion.

 


 

She was walking back towards her car that afternoon, reading the professor’s comments on her paper. She was so busy analyzing why the professor had given her a B minus when she thinks that it should be at least an A. Before she knew it, her papers went flying all over and there was a pain in her chest and bottom. For a split second, she had this horrifying thought of her sickness coming back... that was until she heard a groan on top of her. She had barely registered the beautiful colors of blue and purple before the girl donning it had pulled her up and apologized to her over and over again.

 

“I’m so sorry! I wasn’t looking and I’m running late! I didn’t mean to hit you with myself I-” the girl stopped rambling when she saw Yuri’s face. “I- uhm, I-” Yuri smiled.

 

“It’s okay, it was half my fault since I wasn’t looking myself. Don’t worry about it.” She said as she started picking up the papers that scattered the ground. She picked one up and noticed it wasn’t hers.

 

“T-that’s mine.” The girl stuttered out, eyes still not leaving Yuri’s face. She had handed the drawing back to the girl, and when she looked at those eyes, she had swore that she saw them before. It was very familiar and nostalgic and it almost seemed like something had opened up somewhere inside her.

 

“You’re a fashion major?” she asked, brown eyes questioning brown eyes.

 

“Yes.” The girl answered, a bit breathless.

 

“I’m Yuri, vet major.” She didn’t want to let go of the sight of the familiar brown orbs.

 

“Jessica.” And it’s like, this girl doesn’t want to let go of their connected eyes too.

 

----

This is the end of the first chapter~
I have laid out everything for this fic so I hope you'll enjoy it.
I'll try my best to update weekly~

 --Bunneh:bunny: