Chapter 5: Be Safe

7 Life-Saving Tips
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Look, I got this friend – “

“You have a friend besides me?” Yoonseo asked light-heartedly. A legitimate question from her point of view but knew it wouldn’t settle so well with the boy sitting across from her.

Yet, this time, Daehyun decides to let the joke slide. “I know it’s hard to believe but that’s not the point.”

“Then, what is?” She goes back to eating her lunch casually.

“Do me a favor.” He suddenly requests.

“Is it your favor or your friend’s?” There was a reason why Daehyun had brought up this ‘friend’ to begin with and Yoonseo was not going to let it go unnoticed.

“My friend’s.” Daehyun was quick to reveal. “He wants me to buy something but you know…it’s a little embarrassing.”

“Then, tell him to get it.” Well, whatever it is.

“I just said it’s embarrassing.” He emphasizes. “So, can’t you buy it instead?” His voice softens as the question leaves his lips. In a way, hoping to appease her.

“What exactly did he want to buy that he asked you to get it for him?” What could be so terribly bad?

Leaning over the table, Daehyun cupped the side of his face in fear that the people closest to them would hear his next forbidden words. 

“Con…”

Yoonseo matched his actions while her face distorted. She couldn’t hear him. “What?” She whispered.

“Con…”

“Daehyun, please speak louder.” 

“Condoms!” He hissed before snapping his head around to check for any unwanted attention.

Yoonseo leans back into her chair and sighs. “What is there to be embarrassed about? He’s being safe – is that something to worry about?”

“It’s his first time having to buy it.” Daehyun reasons. “You know, he’s entering in that part of his life now.”

“Then, what is your excuse?” Yoonseo questioned back matter-of-factly.

“Okay, I’m not the bravest.” He admitted. “I don’t want others to make assumptions about me.” 

“You know, women have a harder time with that stuff.” She points out in thought. “With men, it’s more positively accepted – I guess society hasn’t been able to acknowledge the fact that women also like to be intimate…”

Daehyun stared at Yoonseo questionably. “Seriously? People give women a hard time?” And by the look on his face – he was genuinely curious about the topic. “Why is that?”

Yoonseo chuckles. “If I go buy these unspeakable things for you –“ She sarcastically commented. “Then, you do me a favor – don’t give women a hard time for trying to be safe and for having the desire.” That includes the awful name-calling that always happen.

“Deal.” He beamed after successfully pushing the task off to Yoonseo. Quite easily too, he had to say so.

“But, really, why are you guys so embarrassed?” She comments to herself. 

He shrugged with a smile on his face before reaching into Yoonseo’s packed fruit container. 

***

Driving to the nearest drug store she could locate, Yoonseo knew exactly which aisle she needed to visit upon taking the first step inside the establishment. 

And standing before the few shelves, she found herself lost at the sight.

Where does she look?

“Okay…”

To be very honest, it was her first time making this kind of purchase but she didn’t think it would be this difficult. But, here she was having a difficult time as there are countless brands, sizes, types… 

Which one does she get exactly?

Eyeing the colorful packaging that stared back at her, her thoughts raced thinking of the problems that could happen if she got the wrong one. Pulling out her phone, she decided to call Daehyun but as the phone was placed up to her ear, the rings continued without an answer from the boy.

Being met with his childish voicemail once more, Yoonseo decided there was only one solution to this current problem.

Grabbing one of each, she held the small boxes in her arms. She’ll make them pay her back later. Daehyun’s friend is bound to discover one that works best for him among these choices, she assumes. 

Leaving the aisle, she accidently bumps into someone coming from the side. The boxes stacked in her arms tu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter