Chapter 1: Remember To Look Before Crossing

7 Life-Saving Tips
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I’m sure if we all took a quick second to think, it wouldn’t be hard to remember the various things our parents told us – remember to do this, remember to do that. The warnings they made sure to always say before we went off and started something new. 

We all heard familiar things leaving their lips. 

They were our age once.

They’ve been through it all.

They knew better.

And Yoonseo is sure we all had the same response – that the times are different. What they’ve been through is not the same as what we are going through at the current moment.

We’re not dumb.

We know exactly what we are doing.

For a while, she believed it.

But now that she’s on her own, her thoughts are surprisingly wavering. At times, she catches herself wishing she had taken her parents’ warnings more seriously because thinking certain things won’t happen to you is the biggest mistake you can make. This idea that you are invincible is a huge freaking mistake.

Now, what was the first thing your parents told you?

Here’s a clue.

The moment you were able to walk on your own two feet without having to anchor yourself against the couch or the low tables in the living room and when you were able to ask your parents if you can play outside with your little neighborhood friends…what was the warning? – 

“Goddammit, lady! Do you have eyes?”

Yoonseo stared wide-eyed at the blaring sounds around her. She just made a huge freaking mistake. She was already at an age where you would think she’d know better. 

For a moment, she forgot to look.

That’s right. 

She forgot to look both ways before crossing. 

On a normal day, she wouldn’t have forgotten but today – today was not a normal day. Today was the first day at her University and while trying her best to memorize the campus map, she had clumsily cluttered her mind with the various school buildings and the shortcuts that would save her some time moving from one class to another that she didn’t think about looking up to check the…street.

Immediately embarrassed due to her carelessness that could have caused a big accident, Yoonseo hurriedly shuffled along. 

Maybe this was a sign.

A sign for a bad day ahead.

***

Unlike how her pessimistic self predicted the day to be like – Yoonseo found her school day to be moving along quite smoothly. A big accomplishment for her. Finding her classes weren’t difficult and not a minute later did she ever arrive late to class.

“Yoonseo!”

She comes to a stop just as the grinning boy meets her in the hallway. “When do you have break?”

“Hold on.” She moved quickly to find her schedule. The two peered down at the slip closely before a realization came over the both of them.

“It’s break time!” They both cheered and promptly hooked arms before marching down the rest of the corridor.

“How was your day, Daehyun?”

“The first week is always easiest.” He responds. “How was finding your classes?”

“An absolute breeze.” Something Yoonseo was completely thankful for.

“What did you pack today?”

“I only packed enough for myself.” She was quick to respond. If she didn’t make it clear, she would have nothing left to eat for lunch. “I hope you brought something.”

“Of course I did.” He retorted without hesitation – maybe to prove her wrong but she had her doubts behind his quick retort.

Only did she sit down did she realize just how right her suspicions were.

Yoonseo kept a subtle glare on the boy sitting across from her every time he dipped his fork into the small container of fruits she packed along with her sandwich. And each time, he would add another sliced apple into his already filled trap.

“Daehyun, no on

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter