Fourth

Too Much

January 1, 2016; 12:01 pm
Present Day; Atlanta, Georgia, USA


- 2 Years & 6 Months Later-


New Years has always been a day I’ve never really been fond of. It’s supposed to be the start of a better year, but of course that’s not the case for everyone. Where there’s happiness, there’s sadness. Where there’s success, there’s failure. Where there’s life, there’s death. Where there’s love, there’s heartbreak.

I’m also not a fan of all the noise and drunkards this holiday brings.

“Ae Kyung-ah~!”

I lift up my head to find my best friend/roommate, standing in front of me with two glasses filled with moscato.

“Let’s celebrate a new year?” She nervously asked.

I chuckled at the tone of her question. I’m not much of a drinker, and she of all people knew that, so when
does
ask me to drink, something’s up. Especially when she sounds nervous.

“What did you do this time?” I asked, taking a glass. “And why so much moscato?”


“Hmph. I think you’re gonna need it.” She said, barely loud enough for me to hear.

“Is it that bad? Am I gonna have to discipline you?” I laughed.

She turned to me, grabbing my hands and looking me dead in the eyes.

“Ae Kyung-ah, you know I love you, right?” She asked, with the most serious look on her face.

“Oh lord, are you going to confess to me?” I jokingly gasped. “You know I don’t roll that way, Seol Ji!”

She slapped my arm and hissed. “I’m not joking Ae Kyung! I’m being serious here!”

“Ow…” I said, rubbing the sore spot. “Okay… Jeez.”

She took a deep breath in, then exhaled.

“Anyways,” She continued. “You know that I love you, and I only want you to be happy.”

I furrowed my eyebrows, nervously.

“Yah, you’re kind of scaring me.” I lightly said, poking her arm.

“You’re my best friend and there are no secrets between us. I know all the you’ve been through, and you me. When there’s big news, I feel like I should be the first to tell you.”

“Big news?” I tilted my head.

She sighed and grabbed my hands again. “You know that Korean reporter I dated a while back?”

I nodded. “The one with SBS, right? You still keep in touch with him??”

“Well, yea... He keeps me updated on what happening back home, but that’s not the case!” She said.

I giggled, then I caught my breath. “Wait…” I looked up at her, and gasped. “ARE YOU PREGNANT!?”

“What the fu- NO!” She yelled, smacking my arm again.

“OW!” I yelled.

“You idiot!”

“What!?” I said.

She closed her eyes and sighed. “How would you even come to that conclusion?”

“You brought up that reporter guy,” I said, searching my brain. “And you’re stalling, so it’s only normal to think that!”

“Yah! It’s been over two years since we’ve broken up!” She yelled.

“Ah… That’s right.” I shyly said. “I’m pretty sure you would’ve shown by now.”

“Aigoo, aigoo~” She said, pushing my forehead back twice. “Sometimes I worry if that brain of yours functions correctly.”

“Aish! It works fine!” I said, slapping her hand away. “If you’re not pregnant, then what’s the big news you’re talking about?”


Seriousness quickly took over her face again.

“Ae Kyung-ah, let’s go back home.” She said.

“We are home.” I said, playfully hitting her arm.

She shook her head. “You know what I mean.”

My smile slowly faded and I dropped my gaze, knowing very well what she meant.

“It’s been a good two and half years since everything happened, Ae Kyung. I think it’s time to go back.” She said, placing a hand on my shoulder. “Besides, I hear he’s dating again…”

My heart skipped a beat, and for a second I forgot how to breathe. I quickly shook the feeling and smiled.

“That’s good to hear.” I said, looking up at her. “That shows that he’s moved on.”

“Unnie…” Seol Ji clung onto my arm.

“Let’s go home, Seol Ji.” I said, trying my hardest to sound happy. “There’s no reason to hide anymore.”

She smiled at me, half heartedly. “Dummy.” She pulled my head to her chest, stoking my hair. “Let it out.”

In that instant, my eyes were flooded with tears.

I knew I was supposed to be happy because him dating someone else meant that I wasn’t the issue anymore. It meant that I could go back home without causing any trouble. It meant that he moved on…


{ 4/5 }