Surprise and Secrets

Mr. Jeon and I

     I rushed into my room and quickly threw myself back onto my bed. I tossed and turned rapidly, trying to shake my embarassment away. Earlier, Jungkook brought me back home from our tutoring session. Right when I was about to close the gates, Jungkook stopped it and asked if I could be his "secret friend." I really don't know why I told him what a secret friend was, I am such a dimwit. He must think I'm so stupid. And like this, I whined like an annoying fangirl. 

     But something stuck in my mind. Jungkook, with that serious expression on his face, asked me to be his secret friend. He asked me, he asked me. That notion kept repeating in my head. Of course, he ended up laughing it off and released me. He told me he was just joking and apologized for startling me. But there was something in his gaze that refused to leave my mind. I shook my head vigorously and went to wash up. 

     I laid down on my bed once again, this time refreshed and collected. I thought about it. Up until yesterday, I didn't even know the guy that well. There's not much of a possibility that he has feelings for me or anything. And like I said, he has a lot of friends and a lot of girls like him. Girls that are way prettier and qualified than me. There's just no way. He probably meant that he was joking around. But still, like a hot red velvet cake, the redness in my heart lingered. 

     I awoke to the sounding of my alarm. I quickly headed to the bathroom to perform my daily routine. As I brushed my teeth, yesterday's events flooded through me like a crowd does once a door is opened. I was going to see Jungkook today. Probably. Maybe. I sighed, this was so complicated. I went to my closet and looked through my clothes. Today was a day where we didn't have to wear our uniform and most kids interpreted this day as one to dress to impress. Anyway, not that it mattered.  

     I went to the bus stop and waited, along with a couple of other people. There were businessmen and women, a sweet old couple, some college students, and Jeon Jungkook. Wait, Jeon Jungkook? He was dressed in casual street wear and he pulled it off so well. It put my choice of fashion to shame. 

     "Ilyeon, hi. I used to receive a ride from my hyung, but he's in the military as of late. And so I'm here." Jungkook explained. 

     "Oh really? I see. Well, it's a surprise to find you here. Early in the morning and all." I sheepishly said. 

      Jungkook gave me a smile."Yeah, I guess we get to go to school together everyday, huh?" 

      "Yeah, you bet." I said casually. My heart was beating with surprise, but it was the pleasant kind.

       The bus arrived and Jungkook gestured at me to enter first. "Pretty ladies before men." 

       I laughed/blushed. Jungkook followed me and claimed the seat next to me. I suddenly thought of all the kdramas I've watched with the bus being the setting. I couldn't help but to laugh at my own stupidity. 

       "So about our next tutoring, how about tomorrow? Jungkook asked.

       "Yeah, sure. Thanks so much." I replied. "But I think Namjoon's mother is okay now and he can probably tutor me so it won't be a bother to you."

        "No, it's honestly okay. I kind of like teaching you." He smiled and flashed a naughty grin.

        I laughed nervously. Things were pretty strange, here my crush was saying that he liked teaching me how to write. Oh the reality of it. We kind of went along in silence. I was reviewing my notes for the math test when I felt something land softly on my shoulder. I looked to my side and found Jungkook with his eyes closed and mouth slightly open. I smiled softly to myself and adjusted his head to make him more comfortable for the both of us. He must have slept really late last night for him to be this tired. Then I remembered that he attends dance academy and practicing must have monopolized his time. Then a pang of guilt seized me. Maybe I did too. 

         We arrived at school much too soon to allow Jungkook to catch up on his sleep. I moved his head to the other side before he waking him up so he wouldn't feel embarassed about leaning on me. 

         "Oh, I must have fallen asleep, sorry." He muttered quietly and followed me out of the bus. A couple of girls gave me the look as we both made our way to the school building. We separated ways as we had different classes and he gave me wave as he walked. I waved back and then headed towards my classroom to kill that math test. 

         "Oh, Ilyeon. How did tutoring go with Jungkook yesterday?" Namjoon asked. 

         "It was very good. I never knew you two were friends."

          "Yeah, that boy may look like he doesn't like to study, but he's really passionate about it. Along with other things, of course." Namjoon eyed me. 

          "Like dancing?" I asked. 

          "What? Oh yeah, like dancing." He replied. 

           "Everyone clear your desks except for a writing utensil and an eraser. The test is about to commence." Our homeroom teacher monotonously said.

           There was noise as students followed directions and got ready for the test. Namjoon gave me a thumbs up and I returned the gesture. 

           The math test was fairly easy, it has always been my strongest subject. I liked math, it was logical and honest, unlike myself. I was the second one to finish, after Namjoon and I rested my head on my desk until time was up. I must have fallen asleep for a brief moment because Namjoon shook me awake. "Ilyeon-ah, class is over."

           I must have lost sleep last night as well, I was tired. "Huh? Oh yeah, thanks for waking me up." I yawned. 

           Namjoon laughed. "Hey, Ilyeon. Isn't Juna's birthday coming around?" 

           "Yes, it's exactly a week from today." I answered clearly. 

           He nodded. "Do you know what she likes?"

            Anything related to you. She'll probably flip over even if you gave her your broken pencil. I secretly laughed. "She likes books. She's been complaining to me lately that she has nothing to read." 

           He smiled. "Okay, perfect, thanks Ilyeon."

           School went on for a couple more hours and the bell sounded, marking the end of the school day. Kids rushed out and I did as well, hoping that the bus didn't leave yet. I heard footsteps beside me and looked at the source. Jeon Jungkook was running along with me, trying to catch the bus as well. We laughed and ran as fast as we could towards the bus stop. Thankfully, we made it on time and we collapsed on the nearest seat. 

           "Gosh, Ilyeon. How... do you... live with this... everyday?" He inquired with breath intakes. 

           "It takes practice." I jokingly said as the bus started to move. 

            Jungkook took out his earbuds. He offered me a side and he went through his playlist in search of a song. We listened. The song was Tori Kelly's "Paper Hearts." I loved this song and fell into the lyrics.

            "Hey, Ilyeon. Actually I have a confession to make to you." He said.

            "Hmm? A confession?" I grew curious as my heart beat quickened.

             The bus opened its doors as it came to a stop. Our stop. The song kept playing and Jungkook was about to speak when his phone rang, interrupting the music. I handed his earbud to him and he mouthed thanks. He answered the phone and his eyes widened as he quickly slung his backpack over his shoulder. 

             "Sorry, Ilyeon. I have to go. I'll see you tomorrow." And without looking back, Jungkook hastily left the bus and ran towards the other block. 

             I looked on ahead and saw his figure, diminishing along with the distance. I hoped everything was alright with him. I walked the other way, towards my house. I have a confession to make to you. I stopped. What could that have been? I looked back at Jungkook and watched as he completely disappeared from my view.