His Eyes

Mr. Jeon and I

         It was an average day at Miwon High where I had the most fateful enounter. It all started when I went to school. It was a fine spring day, with the weather cool and breezy. It was a day where everything seemed perfect. Well, until I walked into English class. The teacher passed out the papers, commenting on each student's score as they either groaned or cheered. When the teacher came to my area, a big smile lit up on her face. For a moment, my heart raced. 

        Excellent job to Kim Namjoon for writing an essay that not only followed the requirements, but presented eleoquence to an impressive degree. The highest grade goes to you, Mr. Kim." Kim Namjoon bowed and accepted his stellar paper. 

        Sparks died down inside. I was really happy for Namjoon as he was a good acquaintance of mine from sitting next to me for the past few months. He was easily the smartest kid in our class and on top of that he was really kind as well. I accepted my paper from the teacher and stared at it. I could have perforated a hole through it if Namjoon didn't shake me out of my daze. 

        "Ilyeon-ah, don't worry about it too much. Its only the practice portion and the real one is yet to come. This is graded more lightly, so you don't have to worry about it as much. Though if you are worried, then I could perhaps go over the essay with you if you'd like." Namjoon said. 

        "Really? Thanks a lot. I could probably do better with your help." I responded. If Namjoon couldn't help me, no one could. 

        "Great. Then do you want to go with me during lunch?" He asked as the bell sounded for our lunch hour. 

        I nodded and followed him out the door. 

        We stood in line and picked up our food as we went along the line. A bunch of girls were crowding around, trying to catch a glimpse at Namjoon. I didn't blame them. Not only was Namjoon the head of Class 3-1, he was really dashing too. The whole package. But the reason why I wasn't squealing like the other girls was because of him. Jeon Jungkook. He was at the other end of the cafeteria where another huge crows of girls gathered. I tried to steal a look at him, but failed due to the far proximity and fangirling barriers. 

         I sighed, Jungkook was always so far from my world. I've liked him since the third year of middle school where we had this outdoor event. I was calmly walking with Lee Juna, my best friend, and all of a sudden one boy ran by, causing me to back up involuntarily. I would have had a serious injury if I hadn't bumped into Jeon Jungkook. The sun was in my eyes as I looked at his face. This sensation went through me, one mixed with humiliaton and fascnination. I had never known a boy so beautiful existed at my school. I only recognized him after his friends called him over. He set me up right and gave me a quick nod before leaving. I would have stayed at that same place for a while, but my friend dragged me for the details. That was our first meeting. 

       Namjoon and I sat at one of the empty tables. A few girls sat down near us and glared at me. I took out my essay and handed it to Namjoon. He inspected it while eating and made a few comments here and there. His advice was extremely helpful and I took note of it very carefully. This went on for quite a while until he decided we should have break and finish eating. I looked around for Jungkook and caught his eye. Wait, was he actually looking at me? 

        Some of the girls that gathered around started to leave as the lunch hour neared to an end. Namjoon checked his watch and showed it to me, signalling that we should be heading back to our classroom. I nodded in agreement. I stood up with my lunch tray and Namjoon offered to take it away for me. Add gentleman to that list. I looked back for Jungkook, but he was nowhere to be seen. 

         "Ilyeon, did I help you much? You know, I could actually become your official tutor for English, if you'd like. After all, we do sit next to each other and I think it benefits me as well. He said this with a smile. 

          "I really don't want to be a bother to you, Namjoon. You're the first in the class, you're probably busy studying for your own assignments. I can't make myself part of your daily work routine." I adamantly said. 

          'No, really. It won't be a bother. Every Friday after school then?" He asked. 

          "Thanks a lot, Namjoon, I really appreciate it, and I'm sorry about that." I said. 

          Class ended after math class and the students packed their materials to go home. 

          I bid farewell to Namjoon and rushed to take the bus. To my surprise, I found Jungkook leaning against the school wall. His head was down and he was playing with his feet, as if he was waiting for someone. I knew I looked like a mess from running and I avoided eye contact as I rushed past him. I was almost there to the bus station. I kept running and I dared to look back. Admist the blurred crowd, the people walking, and the spring breeze blowing, one thing was clear.

 

          Jungkook's eyes met mine.