One Of These Nights

SeulRene Drabbles - Alternate Universes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Sometimes people don’t understand

the promises they’re making when they make them,” I said.

Isaac shot me a look. “Right, of course.

But you keep the promise anyway. That’s

what love is. Love is keeping the promise anyway. Don’t you believe in true love?”

― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars

 

Since when did I have a problem dressing myself up?

A sigh escapes my lips as my eyes glance at my best friend. She had this worried look on her face and I know it was only a matter of time before she speaks her mind.

“It’s been years. Why would you travel all the way to Daegu for the 23rd?”

I stay silent, turning around to check if I have packed enough for the weekend. I look up to see Yerim and Sooyoung leaning against my door frame.

Since when did I have bodyguards?

“Do you honestly think she would keep her promise after all these years?”

“Seungwan…” I chastise her.

Of course, my best friend is worried. My broken heart wasn’t easy to mend. At that time, I only had her to lean on. Imagine me waking up crying at night worrying Seungwan to no end.

She fought the urge to leave me with my wallowing and pain.

Seungwan was scared I was going to kill myself.

She was scared I thought nobody would care if I leave this world.

But Seungwan gave me strength, so did Yerim and Sooyoung.

I was fine.

I did fine.

But there was something that always lingered in my mind.

Would she keep her promise?

Would she be there when I decide to?

Would she feel the same?

Would she fight for me?

Could we fall in love again?

“Let me do this…” I say, though I’m sure my best friend is nodding at me with a heavy heart.

“You are crazy…”

I smile but she knows that I really am.

“Crazy…”

 

@@@@@@@

 

I walked along the same park we used to go to back when we’re together. Cherry blossoms where in bloom and honestly it feels odd to be in this place.

Lovers walk hand and hand, children strolling with their parents.

I had none.

I took heavy steps towards a familiar place.

It overlooks the countryside. Everything looks different but the place feels the same.

I closed my eyes and felt the wind welcome me with her caress.

“It’s been far too long…”

 

@@@@@@@

 

I sat quietly eyeing the grass under my feet. It had been hours and there was still no sign of her.

We never did talk about the time.

But she said she would be here every 23rd.

She promised she would.

“You remind me of someone…”

A voice behind me says. I stood up and turned around to see an old man smiling at me.

He probably was part of the park’s maintenance crew, considering what he was wearing. I smile and gestured for him to take a seat.

The weather was great, and he looked a little tired.

I had him a spare water bottle which he gladly took from my hand.

“I always see this young lady every month. She waits for her lover from morning till the park closes. It worried me sometimes but she says she doesn’t live very far. But you seem new around here. I hope you don’t make it a habit too.”

“No, I won’t.”

“It is a shame she is not here today. She never missed a 23rd to visit since I met her.”

23rd? I asked myself. Is he talking about Joohyun?

He bows and leaves me by myself, continuing his task as the words sunk.

She never missed a day.

Joohyun?

My knees suddenly felt weak and I sat on the bench.

She was here on schedule but wasn’t here today.

Did she give up?

I ran my fingers through my hair, frustrated and broken.

Did I expect her to keep her promise?

Did I expect her to keep on loving me?

Did I expect her to wait for me?

I sat tiredly as I let the hours pass me by.

My surroundings grew dark and I found myself under the moonlight.

Balling my fingers into a fist, I stood up and turned to leave.

I guess promises were meant to be broken.

It has been years.

I can’t expect Joohyun to stay in love with me with one silly promise.

A sigh escapes my lips as I started to walk back to my hotel.

Just then a figure caught my eye.

I swallowed hard as I saw her lips curve into a smile.

Bae Joohyun

 

@@@@@@@

 

I prayed that my eyesight betrayed me. I prayed that she wasn’t standing in front of me; that she wasn’t wearing that sad smile making my heart ache and beat so loud at the same time. Since the day we broke up the words we left for each other didn’t ease the pain growing in my chest. Seeing her made me happy, confused. I realized then that all of the walls I build around me came crashing down all because she was standing in front of me.

All because she was here with me today

 

“I made a mistake.” Her voice quivered but I had to ignore it.

We have argued about her temper and her jealous fit over and over.

Same reasons

Same outcome

Joohyun was like a child and to be honest it wore me down. I couldn’t explain things to the level she would really understand. Perhaps it was my own words that twist my intentions because we always ended up arguing more when I explain. It had become a problem for me.

She had called me names, accused me of cheating on her and made it very clear that I was dispensable.

I could alrea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter