Just Like Television

Kicking Fire
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Eunji eyed the weapon in her hands with curiosity. She’d only seen such things on television.

“Begin!” A loud voice broke Eunji from her thoughts.

The red-shirted strangers beside her, who had obviously been paying more attention than herself, began stalking forward, dashing in and out behind the obstacles placed before of them. Eunji carefully followed, crouching behind a large barrel.

BANG!

The game had obviously begun.

BANG! BANG!

Eunji’s barrel had been hit several times. With caution, Eunji lowered herself to the ground, and stuck her head out to peer across the field. Immediately she caught sight of an exposed blue-shirted enemy.
She lined the gun with their heart, “just like television,” she thought, and pulled the trigger.

BANG!

The enemy’s blue shirt was instantly stained with a patch of red.
 


Shooting people had never been a past time for Eunji. Merely 3 days ago she was attending school, along with all her other soon-to-graduate classmates.

“Now class,” Her homeroom had teacher spoken up, catching the attention of at least a good three quarters of the class. This result surprised Eunji as the teacher, Mrs Park, often found difficulty enforcing seniority amongst the students of the third year.

“Instead of this, and your next lesson, you will all be completing a compulsory government run test in order to help the development of statistical understanding in Korea’s Schooling.” The woman continued while struggling to retain her confident facade. She went on for several minutes, enlightening the class of the importance of this test. Although, Eunji’s attention was long lost.

“Ahh, so troublesome.” The young girl sighed eyeing the paper that had been placed in front of her. Truthfully Eunji enjoyed studying, she enjoyed sport; she enjoyed many things, but the girl was lazy at heart, and a test that wouldn’t be present on her report card was a test she didn’t want to do.

She tiredly flicked the first page open and glanced at the first question.

 

Question 1: Eric’s mother had three children. The first child was named April. The second child was named May. What was the third child’s name?

Eunji raised her eyebrow in response, “Huh? What are they testing us on? This isn’t a normal government test...” She thought to herself, suddenly interested.

Eric.

Eunji wrote the answer down without even thinking.


 

Question 2:  In British Columbia you cannot take a picture of a man with a wooden leg. Why not?
 

A wooden leg is not a camera, it cannot take photos.

She again wrote the answer quickly.   

 

The questions eventually became harder, and sometimes involved maths, and other subject knowledge, or diagrams and such, but as Eunji’s attention was caught, she had no problem finishing the test in a short amount of time. Immediately she looked up and noticed many of her class mates were still struggling on the first few pages.  Guessing she has loads of time to spare, Eunji handed up her completed paper and dismissed herself to an early lunch break- Mrs. Park wasn’t about to tell her no. 

 

 

"Han Eunji, please report to the principal’s office immediately." The overhead speaker announced the following morning. 

Confused, and unable to determine the context, she politely removed herself from class and headed in the right direction. Upon arrival Eunji knocked slight

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter