Expectations

Stuck in Neverland

  The laugh was behind me. It sent chills down my spine as I heard the familiar coolness. My heart raced just by hearing it. I wanted to get away and the only way I could was run. I ran straight ahead, not knowing where I would end up in. I just wanted to leave that place.

  However, it did no good.

  I ended up hitting a dead end. I couldn’t see, but I felt the wall in front of me and slapped it, hoping to find a secret passageway. “Damn.” There was none, and I knew I was doomed.

  The laugh came again, closer. Then the voice spoke to me again, “Do you actually think you could run away from me? You foolish girl! I am everywhere! I am always watching over you; I always have whether you noticed or not.”

  I didn’t reply and cower to the ground, covering my ears. I don’t want to hear this anymore! Why does this person keep coming up even when there are no Shadows around? Didn’t Dongho say I won’t have any nightmares since he has taken out the Shadow that was lurking in me? What is going on?

  “You can’t ignore me no matter what you do,” the voice continued, “You won’t last in this world for even a month, not with the Shadows around. It’s best if you just give up and let us control this world and maybe I’ll spare you. Maybe I’ll let you return home and let you live your life with all your friends and family… Maybe.”

  I shut my eyes tight, doing my best to ignore the voice. This has to be a dream! Somehow I fell asleep in the hallway and ended up getting a nightmare!

  This time the voice cackled. “It’s futile! You already know your fate! You already know you won’t be able to save this Kingdom, so might as well give it to me! Give everything you me! There is no need for weak people like you! I’m giving you two choices. I have the power to return you home or let you die here and rot like everyone in this Kingdom!”

  “Stop!” I screamed at the top of my lungs. “Stop! Stop! Stop!” I whipped my head from side to side as my hands remained on my ear. Just get this thing out of my ear! I don’t want to hear anymore! I want this all to go away!

  The voice growled. “Foolish girl! Why do you resist? Can’t you see? I’m giving you a choice! Would you rather die than live?”

  I whimpered. Why is this happening to me? Why am I here? Why can’t I live a normal life like everyone else? Why do I have to get caught up in this mess? “I’d rather die!” I suddenly exclaimed and immediately regret it.

  For a moment, the voice was silent. Then in a strained whisper I heard, “Have it your way. If that’s your decision, then I’ll have no choice.” Another pause. “You’re going to be up for a big surprise.” The voice laughed and laughed and laughed. It didn’t stop, but started to fade.

  I stayed in my state even when the voice disappeared. I didn’t understand what was going on. I know for sure I’m not asleep now because when I open my eyes, I no longer saw darkness, but a single door with many chains and locks attached. There were no handles to open or a mini, barred window to see through.

  I was curious what was over there.

  Even in my trembling state, I forced myself to get up, holding myself up with the wall. My legs were wobbling with every step. Who knew I was that afraid!

  I was only a few feet away when I felt a hand jerk me away. I flew back into someone’s arms. My defenses kicked in and punched whoever was holding me, but my fist was held by another hand.

  “Wow! Who knew you had a strong arm!” My kidnapper commented.

  I recognized the male voice and looked at him. My eyes had adjusted to the near darkness and found blonde hair. “Kevin!” I blush, realizing I almost punched him and I was still in his arms. I pulled away and bowed. “I’m sorry!”

  He doesn’t say anything and took me into a tight hug.

  My eyes widened and I was confused. Why was he hugging me? What is this sudden embrace for? Somehow, I felt warm in his arms. I don’t know why but I began to tear up, thinking about the earlier events. Why am I always getting these treats from that mysterious voice? Where does it come from? I bury my head in his neck, trying hard to hold the tears that wanted to flow.

  Kevin felt my tears on his neck and my hair. “I’m here. Don’t be afraid. I’ll always be here to protect you. I won’t let anything hurt you,” he whispered with deep concern.

  He must have heard me when I was yelling to the stranger. I’m glad he did because I don’t know how I would handle this if it was Dongho or anyone else in this castle. It seems like Kevin is the more reliable one here.

  His grip got tighter on me as I began to sob and hiccup. I hate this place! I just want to go home! I don’t want to experience this torture!

  “Here, let’s go back to Dongho to check on you.” Kevin released me and held my hand, dragging me down the hall.

  I looked back, seeing the chained door, standing alone and secluded.

~*~

  I’m once again in this room, sitting with Kevin by my side. Dongho was fully awake with an annoyed expression. “What happened?” He asked, slightly irritated.

  Kevin replied with a question of his own, “Are you sure there are no more Shadows around her?”

  Dongho shifted his eyes to me, and then to Kevin. “I’m sure. There’s nothing around her. She’s perfectly fine. Why?”

  “Something attacked her again.”

  “Where?”

  Kevin was silent.

  Dongho slammed his hand against the bed, causing a loud bang. “Tell me where!” He exclaimed, getting furious.

  I flinched and jumped from his sudden outburst.

  “The North Hall.” Kevin stated plainly.

  Dongho sat up straight and asked me, “What exactly happened?”

  It was hard to meet his eyes. They weren’t as intimidating as Eli’s but still had strength. I bowed my head and fiddled with my fingers, wanting to avoid his gaze as I explained, “I got lost. Then something just happened. I don’t want to talk about it right now…” My voice trailed. I couldn’t bring myself to recap what had happen at the hall.

  He stared at me and sighed. “Don’t go there. It’s dangerous in that area. It’s strictly off limits.” Dongho turned to Kevin. “You need to call on someone to place a barrier at that area. We can’t have anymore mishaps occur in that area. Who knows who might end up in there and unchain that door? Do you think you can call on someone, Kevin?”

  Kevin shrugged. “Maybe, but that’ll take days until I can make a call. Mr. Jung won’t be available because he’s taking care of the wall. Everyone is trying their best to solve and fix it,” he explained to his little brother.

  “I understand, but they need to hurry. Who knows when the siege will take place?”

  “It might be soon, but I’ll try my best to get a call.”

  I clear my throat, thinking they have forgotten about me. I wasn’t sure what they were talking about and what was lurking behind that door, but I didn’t want to find out.

  Dongho shifted his eyes towards me. “What is it?” he asked coldly as if I had interrupted an important conversation.

  “If I’m fine, can I leave?”

  Kevin does a heartwarming smile. “Of course. We need to discuss something privately anyways. Either way, we would have to kick you out.” He kept his smile and turned toward Dongho. He leaned and whispered something in his ear.

  Dongho’s eyes widened and softened, and then gave me a cold stare. “Well, what are you waiting for? Leave!”

  I jumped from his sudden outburst. I don’t understand what the rush was, but I didn’t want to bother them. Without hesitation, I left and headed to the dining room. I wasn’t able to find it myself, so I had to ask the servants the location.

  There, I found Rima and Eli sitting silently across from each other. I wonderd if they’ll make a good couple. They’re both quiet, but Rima is sweet while Eli is mysterious. I still don’t understand how he became like that.

  Eli must have felt my presence for he turned his head towards me and gazed deep into my eyes.

  I shivered and turned away, sitting next to Rima. I continued to avoid his gaze while stating, “Kevin and Dongho will be coming soon. Are we going to wait for them?”

  “We have to. My mother is going to be joining us tonight,” Eli stated plainly.

  I gulped. The Queen is joining us today. I wondered how that will work out because it seemed like she doesn’t like me. Speaking of the Queen, didn’t she spoke to Rima earlier? “You spoke to the Queen right? What did she say?” I asked Rima.

  Rima blinked a couple of times, processing my question. She soon got it. “Oh! She just told me to stay in the castle at all times. If I have to leave, I must be with someone who is familiar with the place,” she explained casually.

  That’s good. At least I don’t have to worry about her too much.

  “Where is Dongho and Kevin?” A voice pied in.

  We turned our heads, finding the Queen standing by the doorway with AJ by her side. She was looking down on Rima and me, but when she shifted her gaze to Eli, her eyes showed no emotion at all.

  “They’ll be here soon,” Eli explained.

  The Queen scoffed but doesn’t say a word. She gracefully strode to her seat at the end of the table.

  AJ followed and pulled the chair back for her while bowing. Once the Queen sat down, he pushed it lightly and retreated back to his duties.

  I avoided the Queen’s eyes like I did to Eli. They had the same fierceness I didn’t want to look into.

  The Queen cleared and said, “I’m sure my son has explained your new training plan… Look at me Earthling!”

  I raised my eyes to look into her. It was hard at this moment, but I forced myself to do it.

  The Queen gave a disapproving expression. She leaned forward in her chair, whispering, “Don’t forget you are speaking to a queen, Little One,” her voice began to rise, “You must know your place and show respect or else I’ll have your head chopped-”

  Eli cleared his throat, cutting her off.

  She leaned back and sat up straight. In a calmer tone, she explained, “I am expecting a lot from you considering you are the Warrior. No one will go easy on you since there isn’t much time. I expect you to work hard. Everyone is counting on you.”

  I gulped. Isn’t she asking too much for a girl like me? I am not like the heroines in comics or mangas or manhwas! I can’t beat a single enemy bare handedly! This is all too much for me!

  I was starting to panic, but a hand took mine from under the table. My eyes followed the hand up to whoever held me. I smiled, finding it was Rima. She’s going to be my strength. I have to protect her from all the evils in this world.

  Rima’s eyes shift from me to everyone else. “I know she will win this! I know she can beat the Shadows! She can do anything!”

  Rima. Why did you do that?

  The Queen glared, but doesn’t say anything for she was cut off by the door swinging open.

  “We’re here! Have you waited long?” Dongho announced while sitting next to me.

  Kevin bowed before claiming his seat.

  Rima stiffened beside me as Kevin was in front of her.

  His eyes met hers, and he shared a smile, adding his eye smile with it. “It’s nice to meet you, Miss Rima,” Kevin greeted sweetly.

  Dongho snorted from the other side of me and muttered, “What a up.”

  I sneered at him, wanting to smack the bacj of his head. Nobody insults sweet Kevin even if they’re siblings. He did nothing wrong but greet her.

  Rima quickly bowed her head. “It’s nice to meet you too…” Her voice dragged, not knowing his name.

  “Kevin.”

  “Kevin.” She blushed.

  I stared at Rima. How cute, she’s being shy in front of Kevin. Is it possible to ship two pairings with the same girl?

  “Have we missed anything, Mother?” Kevin asked in the softest voice I have ever heard. Could he be an angel?

  “No.” The Queen stated coldly. Her fingers snapped as she called, “AJ! Is supper ready?”

  AJ popped in the dining room, bowing. “It is. Would you like to start, My Queen?”

  “Yes! Have I not said so earlier?”

  “You haven’t, My Queen.”

  “Well, make haste! I want to sleep early tonight! All this stress is making me age.” She pressed her fingers to her face.

  Oh, the irony.

  AJ bowed. “As you wish.” With that, he left.

  Dinner was awkward in many ways. First, the Queen was there, staring me down as if I ate strangely. Second, Rima kept glancing at Kevin every few seconds but would never pipe a word. Third, the strangest thing during dinner was Dongho didn’t talk. I was watching him as he ate silently. A couple of times he glanced at the Queen and his eyes would immediately droop. He was hiding something that dealt with the Queen but what?