Setting Out

Stuck in Neverland

  After everything settled down, all the remaining guests were sent into the ballroom. Everyone appeared weary and torn as the Shadow attack killed friends and families without mercy. Many didn’t want to hear what we had to say and walked out, going back to their kingdom.

  Eli explained everything in detail how only us, five, will be setting out and no one else. No matter what, we didn’t want to start a war, so the best option was only a small group would set out to rescue the captured. Not only that, but I had to go since it was part of the prophecy. Just my luck.

  That same night, we prepared what we needed which were spare food and water. We didn’t bring anything else since that would just be dead weight. Oh, and don’t forget out weapons since we would be in the forest most of the time.

  I couldn’t sleep to tell you the truth. It was difficult to sleep after what had happened. I lost my closest friend and I always freeze when I’m needed the most. What was wrong with me?

 I didn’t know it was dawn until I heard a knock on the door and AJ entering wearing all black clothes with a cape.

  “It’s time to go, Milady. Everyone is awake and outside.”

  I sat up, head down and staring at my hands on my lap. “Do all five of us really have to go?”

  “What do you mean?”

  I looked at him. “I mean, Eli has a kingdom he has to take care of and you, you’re probably needed here since they need mages to help restore what was lost and damaged. And, as much as I hate to say this, I don’t want Dongho to go because I feel like there’s something wrong with him. Yes, he’s strong physically, but mentally? What if he has a mental breakdown?”

  “What makes you think that?”

  I bit my lip. What did make me think that way? Was it because he’s always bursting with anger or because of that one night when he had a nightmare? “I-I don’t know.”

  AJ came up to me and sat on the edge of the bed. “Master Eli does have a kingdom to protect and to do so he’s coming with us to kill Soohyun and destroy the Shadow Kingdom one way or another. No one knows how, but our best bet is to kill the one who’s controlling them. As for me, you don’t need to worry. I can handle myself. And Master Dongho is much stronger than you think. He’s just underdeveloped since everyone has been paying attention to Master Eli and Master Kevin and since he is the brother of the person who betrayed our kingdom. The person I would be most worried about is Kevin.”

  “Why?”

  “He’s easily moved by his emotions.” AJ paused and got up. With a sigh, he said, “Let’s go. I’m sure everyone is waiting.” He held out a hand.

  I took it and as I stood, my clothes began to change. Instead of my white nightgown, I wore clothes similar to AJ’s: all black and very tight. I don’t understand why our clothes have to be tight. Not only that, but it’s really hot outside and I’m wearing a cape and boots!

  We walked outside and found everyone mounting on their horse.

  “There you are! We were about to leave without you!” Kevin exclaimed and held out a hand to me. “You’re riding with me since we have a limited amount of horses left. AJ, you can ride with either Dongho or Eli.”

  Dongho snorted and muttered, “I’d rather ride by myself.”

  AJ shook his head at him. “I’ll be riding with Master Eli then.” He climbed on with ease and held onto the back of the saddle.

  I tried doing the same, but the horse was too tall for me. I nearly tripped over while I was climbing on, but Kevin’s grip kept me steady. At one point, he tugged onto me and swung me over.

  “We’re ready?” Eli asked, looking back at us. (He was at the front.)

  Kevin and Dongho nodded.

  “Let’s go.”

~*~

 As we rode through the village, everything was in ruins. People were around collecting the dead and putting them in carts to bury; they would identify the bodies later. Children and women were out cleaning up remnants of what was left of houses, clothes, and other items. I even saw the girl who gave the apple to Kevin crying in the middle of the streets, holding onto a cold body.

  I couldn’t look at them anymore.

  “Don’t look, Hyori.”

  I wasn’t. “Why? Why are they doing this?”

  Kevin bit his lip. “Shadows don’t have a heart. They just follow orders without question and if it means to kill, then they will do so. Just make sure when you meet a Shadow or their master such as Soohyun, then don’t hesitate to kill them.”

  “Master?”

  “There are only a few,” Dongho stated. His horse was galloping next to us. He seemed more mature from the last time I saw him. Last night must have had an effect on him. “I’m not sure how many, but I do believe there were five. One was killed by our father and, as you noticed, Soohyun is one of them. I don’t know who the last three are, but we’ll find them soon once we reached their kingdom.”

  “You can’t be so sure,” Eli spoke, “They could be hiding among the other kingdoms.”

  Dongho pursed his lips. “I guess.”

  “Let’s hurry. We don’t have our whole life time to discuss what we all know.” Eli rode ahead where I had entered the kingdom a few weeks ago. Funny, so many things changed from the last time I came here. Everything seemed so dull now.

  Dongho snorted and rode after him.

  Kevin was behind him and behind us was AJ. He was looking back, eyes filled with longing. I’m sure he didn’t want to leave the kingdom in this kind of state, but we had to do this. Once we passed the gates, he looked straight ahead, meeting my gaze. A faint smile appeared on his lips and I returned it with my own.

  We continued to ride throughout the day, making conversations. We just talked about anything that came into our mind until we ran out to say. When that came, we rode in silence. That was until we heard that old, familiar, and annoying voice that I actually missed so much.

  “Just where do you think you’re going?” Hyuna asked us, popping in front of Eli.

  We didn’t stop because of her.

  Dongho replied since Eli didn’t say anything, “I’m sure you know where our destination is.”

  She sneered. “It’s not a good idea heading straight into fire. You know you might get killed!”

  “We’re trying to save Kiseop and Rima. We rather travel there than bring more innocent people into this. You have no idea how many people died at our kingdom during the time of our celebration!” Kevin exclaimed while trembling.

  I tighten my grip on him.

  Hyuna tilted her head. “I should warn you, Shadows focus on your weaknesses and since you’ll be at their territory, it would be harder to fight them off once they’ve taken control of you.”

  “We know this,” Eli stated.

  “I know you do! I’m talking to this earthling right here!” She pointed at me. “Even though you are the Warrior, it doesn’t mean you don’t have weaknesses. Don’t be so brash when you find your friend in the hands of Soohyun. It’ll be the death of you.”

  “I know I have weaknesses, but I won’t let that get in the way of my goal.” I’m going to save Rima no matter the cost. I’m done being weak. I’m done depending on others.

  Hyuna remained expressionless. “You say this now, but once it really comes, things will be different.” Her gaze changed to Kevin. “And you, I’m worried about you the most. I don’t know why, but I just have this strange feeling.” She shivered. “Anyways, the main reason I came here is because I want to give you this.” She raised both of her arms out as if wanting the give us a hug, but instead a necklace appeared, the chain wrapping around her arms and the ice blue pendant hanging down. “I’m giving this to you, Hyori. If you ever need help, just break the pendant. It’ll only work once, so you have to think carefully before using it.” Hyuna gave me the necklace. “And for the rest of you! Good luck.” She smiled and disappeared without another word.

  “Well look at that!” Dongho exclaimed, “It seems like Hyuna is liking you now.”

  “She never has?” I questioned. Sure she’s been mean to me ever since I arrived at this world, but I didn’t find it offensive. It seemed like that was her way of showing affection.

  Dongho shrugged and heaved a deep sigh. “Ah! I’m so bored! How far is the Shadow Kingdom?”

  “If we take the shortcut, I’m sure we can cut our travel by three days,” AJ suggested.

  He lightened up. “Really? We should do it then!”

  “The only problem is, it’s through the Dark Forest where the Dark Elves reside and other dark things,” Kevin said.

  “The Dark Elves no longer roam that place. It’s too dangerous there. They’re now teaming with the Earth Elves ever since we took over this world. They’re not a threat to us, but they’re not friendly with us either,” Eli stated. “We’ll travel that way, but once we’re there, we must not drift away from the path or else we could be lost there forever.”

  Dongho’s eyes grew wide.

  I gulped. There’s no way I want to be lost in the Dark Forest. I didn’t go on this quest to fail because we were lost. I’d rather fail because I’m dead. At least I died trying, right?

 “I think it’s about time we camp,” Eli said, looking up at the sky. The sun was starting to set and dark blue streaks were appearing.

  “Right!” Dongho scanned the area and pointed to our right. “What about over there?”

  We all turned our heads.

  Ahead there were tall grasses and a single tree, larger than the others, standing lonely as if it was on an island. There was something different about that tree, but I didn’t pay too much attention to it because every tree in this world was strange.

  Eli remained silent for a while, thinking whether it would be safe there or not. His eyes scanned the area also. “Yeah, that’s fine. AJ, how about you put a barrier while we sleep.” He galloped towards the tree.

  AJ nodded and followed behind.

  We prepared our camp which were only blankets set in a circle. We each had our own blanket, big enough to go under and wrap around us. I just hoped night time wouldn’t be so cold. Our heads were facing each other while our feet were pointing away. By the time we settled down, it was dark.

  Dongho and Kevin had returned from getting wood from the forest and AJ created a fire using it. We all circled the fire, laying or sitting there in silence. I was next to Dongho and Kevin. It was a good thing because they usually bicker if they’re together.

  “Should we tell stories?” Dongho asked.

  Eli shook his head. “No stories tonight. We had enough talk. Go to sleep; you need all the energy you can get.” He wrapped his blanket over his head and lay still.

  Dongho pursed his lips and lay down. “Hmph!” With a pout, he closed his eyes.

  Kevin smiled at me and took my hand. Kissing it, he muttered, “Good night, Hyori.”

  I blushed. “G-Good night, Kevin.”

  He bowed his head and lay down. “Sweet dreams.” With that, he, too, closed his eyes.

  AJ was the last one up. He stared at me. “Milady, you can go ahead and sleep.”

  I blinked.

  “I’ll keep watch.”

  “I thought you put a barrier.”

  “I did.”

  “Then why are you keeping watch?” I asked. “There’s no need for someone keeping watch if a barrier is set.”

  He grinned. “There are things that can break a barrier and when that happens, I’ll make sure to protect you and everyone here.”

  I leaned towards him since he was in front of me. I playfully smacked his forehead. “Go. To. Sleep. We’ll. Be. Fine.”

  AJ blinked at me.

  I smirked. “We’ll be fine,” I sung,” You need your rest also. Who knows when we’ll need you again and if you’re tired, your magic won’t be as effective as it should be.”

  He sighed and shook his head. “I can’t win against you, can I?”

  “Nope.”

  “Fine.” He lay down and covered himself with his blanket. “Good night, Milady.”

  I didn’t reply for a moment. “You don’t have to call me ‘Milady.’ Just call me Hyori.”

  AJ paused and smiled. “Okay. Good night, Hyori.”

  “Good night, AJ.”