Questioning

Stuck in Neverland

 

 

  “Eli,” I called. His back was facing me as if he was guarding Dongho’s room.

  Eli turned his head. “So you were in there.”

  What’s that suppose to mean? Was he looking for me? “Yes, I was. Did you want to speak to Dongho?”

  “No. I wanted to talk to you. I was debating whether you were in your room or Dongho’s.” This time he was facing me fully with stern eyes. He certainly inherited them from his mother.

  “I’m here, so what do you want to talk to me about?”

  “Walk with me,” he ordered, wiggling his finger. Eli started going down the hallway, talking as I listened, “I’ve noticed the training isn’t working out for you.”

  I nodded. It’s not working out for me at all! Everything is set up for a real warrior!

  “Maybe you aren’t fit for a sword,” he continued, “Maybe you’ll work better in magic like AJ or a spear like Kiseop.” Eli paused, giving me a long, cold glance. “Or even archery like my mother.”

  Magic sounded fun but dangerous. A spear required strength and good calculations. And archery requires accuracy and precision. I could probably do archery is I practiced enough, but I need time. Time is important, but no one knows when the siege will occur.

  “We’ll start the magic training tomorrow. You’ll be working with AJ. I have discussed this with him already, and he has agreed. The next day, you will work with Kiseop, and the day after that, you’ll work with my mother with archery. Is that fine with you?”

  It seemed like a hassle, but I needed to find out my strengths especially for protecting the one I love. The one person I want to protect right now is Rima. I needed to protect her from the Shadows. She doesn’t deserve this treatment.

  “I’ll agree.” I answered.

  A corner of his lips rose slightly. “I hope to find improvement from you the next three days. I’m sure we’re going to find a perfect weapon for you before the siege.”

  I hoped so, too.

  As my mind drifted, Eli stopped, causing me to nearly bump into him. I heard him mutter, “She recovered quickly.”

  I looked pass him and found Rima roaming the halls, head whipping side to side. She was confused and nervous just like when we got lost in the maze for a carnival game.

  “Rima!” I shouted, waving my hands around.

  She stared straight at us, still afraid, probably because I was with Eli. He is kind of scary when I first met him.

  I ran pass him and gave Rima a tight hug. “I’m so glad you are okay! I was so worried!”

  “Where am I?” I heard her whisper softly in my ear.

  I let her go. I can’t lie to her because it’s right in her face. Seeing is believing, right? I took a deep breath before explaining, “We’re in Neverland.” Then I remembered Eli. “And this is-“ I stopped, no longer seeing him behind me. “He’s gone,” I muttered.

  “Neverland? What do you mean?” Panic was rising in her voice.

  “We’re in another world! I couldn’t believe it either, but this is all real. People here have lived their lives young forever! There’s magic, Shadows, fairies, and so much more!”

  Rima’s eyes widened and seemed like she could faint any second. “A-another world? I was just in my room reading until I had to use the restroom, but when I came back, it felt like I was flying. I don’t know how, but I fell asleep.” She grabbed my shoulders and gasped. “So this is where you have been? Everyone’s looking for you, even your mom!”

  My mom? Somehow that made me cringe. Now she’s looking for me? Now she wants me? Is it because she’ll be charged with child neglect or something if I don’t return? I don’t care. I don’t think she’s my blood mom anyways.

  I couldn’t say that out loud, so I remained silent as Rima asked me questions.

  “How did we get here? Who was that guy with you? Where am I exactly? Are the fairies like Tinkerbell? Is this like that new Neverland book that came out?”

  I waved my hands around. “Whoa! Slow down! One question at a time!”

  She took a deep breath, calming herself down. “How long have I been unconscious?”

  “Just a couple of hours,” replied, not so sure. When exactly did Hyuna bring her here?

  “Who’s that?” Rima asked, pointing at someone behind me.

  I spun around to see AJ coming towards us. My eyes brightened just by seeing him. Good. At least we’ll have a guide to lead us to our room before we get lost.

  “That’s AJ.” I said, smiling as he came.

  “Do you like him?”

  What? Is she crazy?! “No!” I exclaimed, blushing like crazy. “I don’t like him! I still like Hoon, okay? AJ is a friend. I don’t have any deeper feelings other than that.”

  Rima shrugged. “Whatever you say.”

  “Is there anything you need, Milady?” AJ asked as he came closer. “I’m going to the kitchen to fetch Master Dongho a snack. Do you and your friend want any?”

  I shook my head. “I don’t want anything. What about you Rima?” To my surprise, when I looked at her, she was frozen on the spot, staring at him. What’s wrong with her? Could she be love struck? I nudged her to wake her up.

  She jumped with a start. “Oh! No, I’m fine.”

  He bowed and brushed by. He only took a couple of steps before pausing. “Eli told you about the plan, didn’t he?”

  I nodded.

  AJ gave a heartwarming smile. “Then you’ll be ready for my training?”

  Again, I nodded.

  “I won’t go easy on you even if I’m your servant.”

  “I don’t mind.”

  He bowed once again. “Well Milady and friend, I’ll be off. Call me if you need anything.” With that, he left.

  I turned back to Rima, seeing her staring at the spot where AJ used to be. I waved my hand over her face. “Hello? Anybody there? Hello? Earth to Rima. Are you there?”

  There was no response.

  I sighed. “I guess I have no other choice.” I pinched her cheeks and stretched them.

  “Ow! Ow! Ow! Let go!”

  I let go and teased, “What’s all that about? You were staring at him as if you were going to eat him up!”

  She didn’t answer me, but shouted, “He’s your servant? Well, that’s one hot babe.”

  Oh my. Here comes her dorky side. Once she sees all the guys in this castle, she’ll die of happiness or maybe even faint.

  “Calm down, Rima. Sure he’s cute, but he’s more than a hundred years old!”

  “So! He looks young and- ew… More than a hundred?”

  I nodded.

  She shivered. “Oh well, I don’t care. He’s still fine.” She winked and gave a huge smile.

  “There you are! I’ve been looking all over for you, Earthling,” a familiar voice piped up behind me.

  I sighed, recognizing who it was. “What is it, Hyuna?”

  “I need to speak to you privately.” Her eyes went to Rima. “Wait here. She’s coming back.” To me, she said, “Follow.” She started gliding down the hallway. When we were far from Rima, Hyuna continued her conversation, “That girl. You know her?”

  “Yes. Why?” Why does it feel like everyone is so suspicious of her?

  “Hm… Strange. This is a really strange coincidence. It seems like the portal has become selective. First, it doesn’t want to bring you home. Second, it brings your friend. And third, when I checked if the portal was damaged, I’ve noticed it completely shut off itself. It knows something wrong will happen, so no one can come in or out.”

  “What do you mean?”

  Her gaze turned dark. “Someone is trying to control the portal. That’s a tough task, but of course an Earthling like you wouldn’t understand. Controlling the portal requires strength both physically and mentally. Whoever is trying to control it and caused the portal to shut off is powerful which means you’ll have to work harder to protect your friend.”

  Powerful? Why does it have to be a typical strong enemy? Why can’t it be a unicorn or something? I’m scared. I’m scared of failing. I’m scared of losing everyone. And most of all, I’m scared of losing my own life.

  “Don’t worry. If you are the warrior, you won’t die so early into the prophecy. No one knows the end. It got chipped off from the first Shadow raid.” Hyuna explained.

  Was that supposed to make me feel better?

  “Anyways, how was your first day of training?” Hyuna asked.

  My face turned pale and I gulped. “To tell you the truth, it was hell.”

  She laughed. “Of course it was. You’re training with the strongest men in the kingdom.”

  “I know.”

  “But I heard you will have to train with AJ, Kiseop, and the Queen. You should watch out. The Queen won’t go easy on you; no one will.” Hyuna pointed out strictly.

  “I know.”

  “If you know, then you must train hard if you want to save the kingdom.”

  “I know.”

  “Stop saying that and do it!” She snapped, “I don’t want lazy and weak people here. They bother me, so promise me you will do everything for this Kingdom and protect it even if it costs your life.” She was giving me intense eyes, showing her seriousness. Hyuna meant everything she said, and I could tell she wouldn’t forgive me if I broke this promise.

  “I promise,” I said, my eyes upon her tiny eyes. I gave her the same intensity as she was doing to me.

  She smiled for a few seconds before it faded. “I need to tell you something. It’s important and confidential, but I think you need to know about it. There is-“

  “Hyuna.” A deep, firm voice interrupted her.

  I turned my head and found Eli again standing a few feet away from us.

  Ha came closer, his feet creating a rhythm. “Now’s not the right time. Could you please leave? I need to speak to her again.”

  She shut up, bowed, and glided away, leaving me with Eli alone.

  There was complete silence and I remembered Rima. “I’ll see you later then if you have nothing to say.” I turned to leave, but his voice stopped me.

  “That girl. She’s your friend, correct?”

  “Yeah. Why?” Why is everyone asking me this?

  “Just making sure. I don’t want a stranger to be roaming around the castle. It wouldn’t be safe.”

  It was strange talking to him. I have never had a full conversation with him until today.

  “You really care about this Kingdom, don’t you?” I remarked, staring straight into his dark eyes.

  “Of course. It’s my kingdom and I’ll do anything to protect it.”

   "Even if it costs your life?”

  “Even that.”

  I flinched. I have never loved anything that serious to where I would give up my life to. I expect it not to happen.

  I saw his eyes shift pass me, and I follow his gaze, finding Rima coming up to us. The moment she saw Eli, she stopped and stared, eyes wide with nerves.

  Eli removed his gaze slowly to me before striding away silently.

  “Was that the guy that was with you earlier?” Rima asked, love written in her eyes. “He’s hot!”

  I sighed. This girl is too boy crazy and bipolar. I wonder what will happen if I show her Dongho, Kevin, or Kiseop. “Wait till you see everybody else.” I muttered.

  “What?”

  “Oh, nothing. Come on. Let’s go somewhere.” I walked down the hall, hoping I’m going the right way.

  “Milady.” I heard a voice from behind me.

  I turned around. “Oh, AJ. What’s wrong this time?”

  “I need to take Ms. Rima away for a moment.”

  I looked at her, then to AJ, thinking. “Why?”

  “The Queen ordered me to. It’ll be quick enough for dinner, which is in a couple of hours.” He bowed.

  “I’m fine with it, but you should ask Rima. She’s the one you’re taking right?”

  He straightened up and looked at her.

  AJ may have not said anything to her, but she understood. Rima does a single nod and kept her head low. Her shyness was coming back.

  He took her hand and led her down the hallway, opposite of me.

  I watched as their figure became a shadow and started walking again. They left me alone and yet I wanted to explore.

  Strangely enough, the farther I go, the darker the hallway got. It soon turned to where I couldn’t see at all.

  I wanted to go back, but my feet refused to move the way I wanted them to. It kept going forward, nonstop.

  And at that exact moment, I heard a familiar eerie laugh.