Rest

Stuck in Neverland

  I caught him before he could hit the ground. I could feel myself shaking from his weight pressing down on me. For someone skinny like him, he weighed a ton! I then remembered what AJ had told me. “AJ!” I exclaimed, struggling.

  “Yes?” He popped up in front of me on the other side of the bed.

  “Help me.” I could feel Dongho slipping down my shoulder. If AJ wasn’t a mage, I’d know for sure I would drop Dongho before he got here.

  AJ ran to my side and aid me, flinging Dongho over his shoulder. “I’ll take him to his room. If you want, you can come.” He asks.

  I shook my head, taking a glance at Rima. “I’ll stay.”

  He does a head bow and headed towards the door. “Call me if you need more help. I’ll come as quickly as I can.”

  I didn’t reply and stared at my innocent friend. Now that someone else is involved, what can I do? Hyuna couldn’t bring her back home either. I don’t want Rima to be stuck here until the prophecy is fulfilled. I can’t let anyone from Earth get hurt.

  I smoothed Rima’s hair, feeling guilty. What if I never left that party, would things be better? I couldn’t stand bringing in people to my situations. How did she get here in the first place?

  There was a knock on the door, and as I turned around, I found Kevin standing at the doorway, staring at Rima. “You know her?” He asked, coming up to me.

  I nod. “Her name is Rima.”

  “Did you find out what’s wrong?”

  “A Shadow. Dongho fainted just by taking it out of her.”

  “Fainted?” He seemed shocked. “He fainted?”

  Is there something wrong with him fainting? Does it mean something? “Why? What’s wrong with him fainting?” I was getting suspicious.

  His eyes shifted. “It must be a strong one then. Dongho’s a professional at this, and he never faints. My guess is that Shadow has been there for a while like a month or so.”

  “Are you saying she was here before?”

  He shrugged. “Maybe. Some people come, go, and return here. We don’t keep track on who’s been or not been here. I’ve never seen even half of the people the fairies saved.”

  “But will she be alright?” I was more concerned about Rima’s safety at this moment.

  “Yeah, but you should be more concerned about Dongho. He used a lot of his energy just to save your friend. He’s not usually like this: immediately coming to someone’s aid even though it’s an emergency. Sometimes he would wait minutes, hours, or even days until he helps them. He must have noticed something.”

  “Like what?”

  Kevin shrugged. “How should I know? I’m not him.”

  My attention reverted back to Rima. What could he have noticed? Dongho didn’t touch her, but he knew exactly what happened compared to me. “How long will she be like this?” I asked, not taking my gaze away.

  “Hours or maybe even days, but considering this current state, she should be awake tomorrow. You should rest. You did a lot today and you have more training to do.”

  I groaned at the thought. Great. More torture starting tomorrow. This will be very interesting.

  “Do you want me to take you?” Kevin offered.

  I still didn’t know this place, so why not? “Thanks.”

  “So that’s a yes?”

  I nodded.

  He smiled. “Then let’s go, My Princess.” He held out a hand for me to take.

  I grabbed it and let him lead me to my room.

  No matter how many times I go through these hallways, I still couldn’t tell the difference. I didn’t even know we were in front of my door until Kevin stopped and announced, “We’re here. If you need me, I’ll be in the garden, and if you want to visit Dongho, his room is right across from yours.”

  “Thank you, Kevin.” I smiled and bowed.

  Kevin scratched the back of his head and chuckled. “It’s nothing. I’ll see you at dinner. I believe AJ will call for you. Good-bye.” He turned and left.

  I watched him go until his figure was just a silhouette, engulfed by the shadows. I opened my door but didn’t go in. I glanced at Dongho’s door. I wonder if he’s alright. He didn’t look so well when he fainted.

  I spun around and walked to his door. I wasn’t sure whether I should knock or not. I stood there for a minute, debating to myself until I made my decision. He’s probably unconscious right now.

  I entered the room and found Dongho sleeping like a baby. I came up to him, pulling a chair for me to sit on from his desk. My, when he’s like this, it’s like he’s a baby, sleeping his night away.

  I resisted poking his slightly chubby cheeks. I wonder what he would look like in the future. Would he be as handsome as this?

  He reminded me of Hyemi: fierce and strong when awake, but when sleeping, they’re as delicate as an angel. I really wished I had that kind of beauty, but no, I’m weak and can get into horrible situations. I don’t even know why I’m here.

  I stood to leave, but didn’t as I heard Dongho whimper and cry. “Mom…”

  I stared at him.

  He was crying. A tear had slipped down his cheeks and he began to cringe. “Don’t do it!” He tossed and turned in his bed, yelping and whimpering.

  I should have helped him, but I didn’t. I wanted to understand what was going on by seeing and hearing what he does. Not only that, but I was afraid to wake him. It didn’t last long until he shot up from his bed, eyes flinging open and breath shallow. There was a bead of sweat forming on the temple of his forehead.

  Dongho took a deep breath and noticed me. He wiped the dried, stained tears from his cheeks on his sleeve and sniffled. “What are you doing here?” He sounded a bit irritated.

  “I-I w-wanted to see i-if you were okay,” I replied, stuttering. I hope he’s not mad at me because I was here, watching and listening to him.

  Dongho sighed. “Is your friend fine?”

  “Yeah, but she’s unconscious.” Ah! Why am I feeling nervous right now?

  “That’s normal.”

  “What about you? Are you feeling well?”

  “I do. I’m replenished. I just needed a rest. I’ll be completely recovered by dinner.” His eyes trailed, but he didn’t say anything. I was expecting him to say something about earlier, but he didn’t. Instead, he said, “I’m glad I was able to save your friend or else she would have become a Shadow. What’s her name?”

  “Rima. Min Rima.”

  “That’s nice. How long have you’ve known her?”

  I grinned. “A long time. I think when middle school started.” My grin widened. “I’ve also known Hyemi since the beginning of high sch-“

  “Have you ever felt there was something… strange about her?” Dongho interrupted.

  I didn’t like where this was going. What is he trying to say? Is there something wrong with Rima or she’s too dangerous to hang out with?

  I felt sudden bitterness came over me randomly. “No! Why would you even think that? I’ve known her for most of my life, and I’m pretty sure there’s nothing wrong with her!”

  Dongho gave me a blank expression and sighed. “You don’t have to be so over protective. I was just asking because that Shadow was dormant in her body for years, building up darkness in her heart. When she arrived, the Shadow activated, eating her soul like a virus. She’ll recover, but it will take time. She’ll probably wake up tonight or tomorrow.” He explained to me.

  “I don’t care when she wakes up. I’m just glad she’s alive,” I said calmly. I bow my head, feeling myself getting hot and red as I force myself to say the next few words. “Thank you for saving her.” But why is he suspicious of her?

  He patted my head which caused me to flush even more. It’s strange how I’m nervous all of a sudden… Dongho really is one of those deceiving guys. He may seem sweet at times, but I still don’t trust him fully.

  Dongho pulled his hand away and placed both hands on his lap. “It’s nothing. I’ve done it millions of times.”

  But that was the first time you fainted, I thought to myself. I didn’t say it because I didn’t want him to know I spoke to Kevin who told me about it. However, this didn’t worry me as much as Dongho’s dream. I wondered what happened to cause him to whimper and cry out to his mom. Who was his mom anyways? I knew she wasn’t the Queen, so who is she?

  Dongho snickered unexpectedly, earning a confused expression from me.

  “Sorry,” he apologized, smiling like crazy. “I was thinking how we’ve only known each other for a day and everyone here is already comfortable with you. You’re very special here.”

  “I guess.” I fiddled with my fingers. It’s weird. I also felt this way towards everyone here even though it felt like Eli would give me cold shoulders sometimes, but he probably has a soft side to him. Everyone does. “Can you tell me something about Eli?” I asked curiously.

  Dongho straightened. “Sure. What do you want to know?”

  “Has he always been like, you know, cold?”

  “Hm…” He tapped his chin a couple of times, thinking. “I believe so, but when I came to this castle, he was already nineteen. We all came here in Neverland at the same time, but I was living with my birth mother. I was taken in the castle when-“ Dongho stopped in mid-sentence and ended it with, “What I’m trying to say is I don’t know what Eli was like in the past because he had been the same for years.”

  This disappointed me. That was the main question I wanted to know. It could branch off into new questions but without the answer, it wouldn’t work.

  “Is there anything else you want to know?” Dongho asked.

  “No.”

  “Then, do you want to visit Rima again?”

  “It’s still early.” I’ve only been in this room for about half an hour, and everyone is saying she’ll be awake in a couple of hours or so.

  “I’ll let you rest,” I said, standing. “You need it after what you did.” I didn’t wait for his reply and walked out of the room. There, in front of me, stood the one person I wanted to talk to.

  “Eli.”