The Ball

Stuck in Neverland

  As we entered through the many halls, I began hearing the sound of music and people talking. We were getting close to the ballroom which I have never seen before. I don’t even know how long we were walking because I was too busy worrying about Kevin holding my hand. I was hoping my hand wasn’t going to sweat, but they did as time passed.

  We remained silent the whole way until we reached a large, double door. Behind those doors, the muffled sounds were louder. I spotted Dongho and Eli standing in front of the doors, wearing similar clothes as Kevin, but Eli’s was more embroidered with a sun to represent their kingdom.

  They saw me and had different reactions.

  Eli just stared and turned around while Dongho continued to gaze at me and said, “Well who knew you were a girl.”

  I glared at him.

  Kevin shook his head and sighed. “Dongho…”

  “I’m just saying! She looks nothing like the girl who arrived in Neverland. It looks like she actually belongs here and not in her world.” He crossed his arms and heaved a sigh. “And out of all dresses, you chose that one.”

  “What’s wrong with this one?” I retorted. There’s something wrong with him because he keeps insulting me.

  His head whipped towards me as he looked at me up and down once again. “I’ll have you know, what you’re wearing was personally made by my mother to the Queen!” He smirked. “And I wonder what the Queen will say when she sees you.”

  I opened my mouth to spat insults at him, but Kevin’s voice beat me to it, “Dongho, you know we can’t talk about our real mothers here. We’re not supposed to reveal anything from the past that could hurt each other.”

  He snorted and muttered, “How does knowing what happened to our mothers hurt us. At least we knew them unlike others.”

  I don’t know why but that created a sting in my heart. I do have a mom, but it felt like I didn’t. She’s never around when I’m at home and she rarely speaks to me when we are together. It was as if I was never there. I don’t understand how parents could be so cruel to their own child. Why have one in the first place if you wouldn’t give a care about them?

  I stopped talking at that point and listened.

  I could hear the Queen speaking up to the crowd and just like magic, the voices and music faded in an instant. Everything the Queen said was clear. “I’m pleased to see everyone here with us tonight to celebrate our 400th year in Neverland.” There was a pause as people began to say their words.

  The Queen continued, “As you all know, my husband has died ten years ago by a Shadow.” Murmurs filled with grief could be heard among the crowd but ceased as the Queen continued, “But what you don’t know is the prophecy is coming to action.” The murmurs came louder, but once again, the Queen interrupted them, “But tonight, let’s not worry about the prophecy as this is a celebration.”

  Everyone in the room shout out with laughter.

  “And first, I would like to say that at the end of this year, I will give up my throne to my eldest son, Eli. I’m growing weary, and we need a new face ruling the kingdom. Eli is the best suited for the task.”

  I looked at Eli who straightened himself, tipping his head high. I listen carefully to hear what else the Queen had to say.

  “Now, I’d like to introduce my three sons. My eldest son, Eli.”

  The doors opened and Eli stepped out. The moment, he was outside, the doors closed as the Queen gave information about him and how much she loved him. Then she announced Kevin who kissed my hand before leaving. The Queen said fewer words about him before calling out Dongho. He smirked at me before heading out. I didn’t hear any words about him.

  “And last but not least, I will present you, the Warrior.”

  The doors once again opened and I knew that was my cue. It was my moment to step out and be the warrior people want to believe. I did the same as Eli and straightened my back before stepping out. It was like I was stepping outside as the whole ballroom was made of marbles and marble pillars. I was on a balcony in between two large staircases and below me many people of all size, shape, and colors gazed upon me. Little words were exchanged as they examined me. I bow awkwardly, not knowing how to greet them or what to do. I turn my head to the three siblings who were just watching me, and then I turn my head to the Queen who was looking out to the crowd.

  “Here is the Warrior from our home land, Earth who has come to us to save this world from Shadows.” She looked at me. “And I’m sure she will complete this task and not cower away.” She went back to the crowd. “All of us have trained her and I believe she is ready.”

  I held my breath at that moment. Me? Ready? Is she crazy? I’m not ready for any of this and I’m sure other people in the castle are thinking the same thing! I’m sure Dongho is thinking about it right now. I side glance at Dongho but found him being indifferent.

  The Queen rambled on about the prophecy before letting us go on our own ways. She headed down the stairs and was immediately greeted by the rulers of the other kingdoms as they discussed what had happened.

  Eli was right next to her, being posed and proper.

  Dongho, on the other hand, walked around as he spoke to other boys about his age.

  Kevin stood next to me and smiled.

  “How come you’re not talking or dancing with other people?” I asked him since it looked like a lot of girls want to dance with him at this moment. They were watching his every move and laughed to get his attention.

  He didn’t seem to hear the laughing or talking. “I am your , aren’t I? I won’t leave you so soon.”

  I blushed at that thought and suddenly remembered something. I searched around the crowd but didn’t find what I was looking for. “Where’s-”

  “I’m not sure where Miss Rima is, but maybe the maids are still preparing her. Don’t worry right now because tonight is the night where you’ll finally relax.” He took my hand and once again, pressed his lips gently on the back. The music started playing once more and he smiled. “Would you care for a dance?”

  I returned the smile and nodded my head. This was the first time to be asked for a dance, and I wasn’t sure how to react to it. Was I supposed to be excited? Was I too uptight when I replied? I hope he doesn’t think I don’t want to dance with him because I do!

  Kevin walked me down the staircase, his hand still holding onto mine. He tried to match my pace but also still leading me. He must’ve known that heels weren’t my thing since he was going extra slow and extra careful for me.

  Once at the ground level, he wrapped his other hand around my waist and took a step forward.

  I stumbled as I forgot that we were supposed to be dancing. I haven’t danced like this in such a long time since in school not many people want to dance the waltz or anything like that anymore.

  Kevin continued to lead me with the dance, but I kept stepping at the wrong time or on his foot. I bowed my head to watch my feet just to make sure I don’t step on him again. I was starting to get a hang of it until he twirled me around and brought me close with my back touching his chest. His hands were around me as his embrace was warm. He chuckled and said, “Try not to look at your feet while you dance.”

  I blushed hard and nodded my head.

  He twirled me around once again, but this time, I was facing him. I knew he was handsome, but up close he was more on the cute side like Dongho. He had a young, soft face with sparkly eyes. I shift my eyes to the side as I realized how much I was staring at him.

  Kevin didn’t mind since we continued to dance in silence until the song was over. He bowed. “I have to leave you now because it seems like other girls want to dance with me and I shouldn’t keep them waiting or else drama will start.” He laughed.

  I laughed and watched him go to the next girl. I didn’t know what to do at that point, so I just stood there. I spun around, wanting to get something to drink but someone was in front of me. I jumped. “AJ!”

  He smiled and bowed. “Good evening, Milady.”

  I curtseyed this time and said more calmly, “Good evening, AJ.” I noticed him wearing clothes different from the rest. His clothes had less substance than the rest but was still elegant. They were the color of silver and gave the effect of a winter season like the snow-like castle.

  “Would you care for another dance?”

  I nodded my head once again and took his hand. “Of course.” I trusted him because he was one of the few who were so open to me and didn’t tease me the whole time I was here.

  Again, it was a slow song, and again, I had trouble dancing.

  “Would you like a spell?” He whispered as I stepped on his feet the hundredth time tonight. I knew he meant it as a joke, but I really think I needed it.

  I giggled nervously. “I wish, but at the same time, I don’t want it.”

  “Okay. Just follow my feet and let me lead you.”

  I did what he said, but it was to no avail. I barely got my dancing right.

  After that song was over, AJ released me. “I must go. It seems like dinner will be ready soon.” He bowed once more before disappearing from my sight.

  Once again, I didn’t know what to do, but this time, I was able to reach the drink. I took a glass and drank it in one gulp. When I finished, I heard a laugh and a voice, “Well someone’s thirsty.”

  I groaned as I recognized that voice. “What do you want, Dongho?” I spat.

  He shrugged. “Nothing, but maybe a dance from the most famous girl in the ball?”

  I rolled my eyes.

  “Oh, come on! Don’t be that way! I know we had a bad start, but at least show me some love!”

  I glared at him.

  “Hmph! You’re so nice to everyone, even Eli but not me! You’re so cruel.” He crossed his arms across his chest and pouted like a little kid. He’s such an immature person for being a 400-year-old!

  “Fine. Would you like to dance with me?” I grumbled.

  He placed a hand behind his ear and leaned closer to me. “What was that?”

  “Would you like to dance with me?” I muttered, not liking the idea whatsoever.

  “A-A-What? I’m sorry can you repeat that?”

  “Do you want a dance?” I spat at him.

  Satisfied, he nodded his head and said. “Of course I’d like one!” He grabbed my hand and pulled me to the dance floor. The song was much quicker and required more than just a couple of steps in a circle. This dance required twirling, clapping, and jumping at certain points. Everyone knew it except for me.

  “C-Can we stop?” I didn’t want to do this. After all, I’m bumping into everyone and causing them to mess up, too!

  He shook his head. “For being mean, you deserve to be embarrassed!”

  “But-But-”

  “I’m just kidding! Just listen to me and I’ll tell you what to do!” He shouted over the music.

  I listened to his instructions and realized that the dance was repeating over and over until the song would end. However, the song felt long because we did so much in such little time! I was getting tired.

  Dongho must’ve noticed because he stopped and pulled me back to our original place. He shook his head in disappointment. “We’ve been working on endurance and yet you still have low stamina! Such a disappointment!”

  “Hey!”

  He grinned.

  I looked away. Whatever.

  Just before he could drag me to another dance, someone announced that dinner was ready. Everyone was taken to a room, large enough to fit all the guests. There were separate tables for each kingdom with plates and food set.

  Everyone took their seats as if they had an assigned seat. Kevin had saved a seat next to him for me to sit. I looked around and didn’t fine Rima but an empty chair beside Dongho.

  “Are you still worried about Rima?” Kevin asked.

  I nodded.

  “I’ll go look for her after we eat,” he whispered.

  “Thank you.”

  The Queen said a few words before anyone could start eating, “Eat as much as you like as food is abundant here, but please don’t bring it with you on the trip back to your kingdom. Who knows what will be following you as you travel.”

  Everyone laughed at her joke before taking food.

  I noticed how different the Queen is when she’s around more people. She wasn’t like the intimidating, hateful woman I have seen, but a more mature and elegant ruler. I took my share but it was hard to eat without worrying over Rima. Where was that girl?

  “Will you stop worrying and enjoy the party!” Dongho exclaimed. “I’m sure she’s fine because guards are walking in the premises and she might be with Kiseop!”

  It was hard not to worry. I didn’t want her to get hurt.

  “Dongho. Leave her alone.”

 “Why does she even care for her anyways? What’s so special about her? I don’t even think we should trust her! The moment she arrived at Neverland, everything has gone wrong! And, that Shadow in her was not a normal Shadow. I know that Shadow has been living in her for years, but I’m surprise she didn’t turn into one of them!”

  “Dongho, stop.” Kevin darted his eyes at him in which the pupils were slit like a cat’s. “Enough of this and eat your food.” His nails were growing long and sharp and as he spoke, fangs were appearing.

  He heaved a sigh and shut his mouth.

  I didn’t understand how Dongho could be so cruel. How can he just say those words and act like they mean nothing? Why is he always like this to me? I gulped, trying to hold back the tears that were about to flow. How can he be just like my mother?

  I stood from my seat and without a word or meeting anyone’s gaze, I stepped outside and walked out. I didn’t know where I was going, but I had to leave from that place before I would burst. I didn’t care if I ended up in a dead end or outside. As long as I’m out of there, I’ll be fine.

  Out in the distance, I heard someone call out my name. At first, it was just an echo, but soon it had a form. I turned around to see Kevin chasing after me. The moment he reached me, he was out of breath. "There you are. I had a delay before I could go after you." He chuckled. "People kept talking to me every time I had the chance to get up. I'm sorry for Dongho's actions, Hyori. Dongho can be a big ."

  I weakly smiled. "It's okay. I just wanted to take a break."

  He nodded in understanding. "Whenever you're ready, we can go."

  "We can go. I think I had enough time." I actually didn't know how long I've been walking since my mind kept drifting. I was too focused on trying to get away that I didn't realize how far I went.

  As Kevin touched my hand to lead me away, we heard the sound of bells tolling.