Becoming a Fan

Glitzy Sobriety
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Her eyes grew slightly wide at the visual spectacle that was currently playing on the airplane television screen. That was a lot of colours, she couldn’t help but think to herself. Tiffany wanted to blink a bit at the onslaught of neon, but then that famous uniquely nasal voice accompanied the colours and the neon and the rapper himself dancing like an utterly crazy, drunk fool and suddenly everything started to click.

Cowboys, long hair, the mad hatter/Willy Wonka, singing in water, an archangel and to top it off, sticky rice cakes. And the lyrics…dear God. The video was filled with so much of nonsense that by the end of it, it started to actually make sense. She wasn’t even surprised to find herself grooving slightly to it by the end of the song. The beat was addictive.

“Yah, Fany-ah. I’m trying to sleep here. Stop moving so much.” Taeyeon grumbled, opening an eye in slight annoyance to look at her.

Not really listening to her, she simply pointed at her headphones, “I’m listening to Big Bang’s new song. Bae Bae.” Although, she couldn’t help the snicker that passed through as she said the song title out loud.

Taeyeon cracked a slight grin too, opening both her eyes now. “The one about those rice cakes? You know G-Dragon wrote it.”

“I don’t doubt it for a minute. It takes a few listens to get used to it though.”

“Yeah, but it’s addictive as hell, so be careful. You don’t know how many times I’ve caught myself singing those lyrics out loud and getting embarrassed. Aish.”  She groaned, ruffling her blonde hair in exasperation. Tiffany only laughed, mentally noting not to get addicted to the song; if it gets stuck in her head; she knew she wouldn’t be able to catch herself from singing it out loud. She had no restraint, after all. She just knew.

“You should listen to Loser by them.” Taeyeon said, leaning back and closing her eyes once again. “G-Dragon wrote the lyrics for those as well, I think. You’ll know why I’m specifying when you listen to it.”

Intrigued at that, Tiffany searched for the Loser music video and pressed play.

From the start, she knew this was nothing like their other release. It had a melancholy melody to it, the piano creating that perfectly. And the lyrics…

Loser, loner
A coward who pretends to be tough
A mean delinquent

It’s been a long time since I’ve forgotten about love
I can’t listen to hopeful love songs anymore
You and me both
We’re just sad clowns, tamed and scripted
I’ve come too far

At some point
I started looking at the ground more than the sky
It’s hard even to breathe

She understood right from the beginning why Taeyeon recommended it to her, as well as why she herself like it enough to recommend it. It just made her want to sit back and listen to the depressing, absolutely intangible story it wanted to express. It made her want to act all broody and glare at something for no other reason other than to just glare. And the underlying gritty part of it was that it was such a relatable song.

She had a feeling that this song was certainly going to be stuck in her head.

Glancing back at the screen, her lips quirked a bit at the tattoo like thing drawn as sideburns for the leader of the group. Admiration that had always been there from the moment she had started to listen to the song and amusement at that really stupid looking side burns design warred with each other.

She was definitely going to keep an eye out for the r

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter