Moody people

Steps to love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

‘I knew it was you!’, said the voice at the other side. I should have kept Youngbae’s phone number, that way I would have known who it was before having this many expectations. ‘Sorry?’, I said, turning to look around me. I saw someone waving her arms.

I hung up the phone and sighed. ‘Nara, what are you doing here’, I asked her. She smiled and stood up to give me a hug. ‘That’s all you have to say?’, she chuckled. ‘I thought you were still in college, what are you doing here?’, she continued.
- Came back home yesterday. What are you doing here? – I asked. Nara is not the type of person you’d find at a café in downtown Seoul. You’d typically find her in the suburban area or at a shopping mall.
- I’m waiting for my soon to be ex-boyfriend – She shrugged – I asked him to meet here because it’s closer to his place and I think that’s the place he will be going after I’m done.
- Soon to be ex-boyfriend? – I repeated
- Yeah. Came here to break up with him.
I hadn’t seen Nara in about two or three years. We had many friends in common so we would see each other in parties or karaoke rooms. She hasn’t changed at all from high school. It’s the same Nara that got all they boys’ attention and all the drama. ‘Please don’t put up a show here Nara, you know we don’t like that’, I asked her nicely.
- Don´t worry – She smiled warmly – He’s not the type of guy who’ll go insane after a breakup. Will you sit with me?
- I can’t – I said – I have to work – I smiled, pointing my apron – By the way, how did you get my number?
- You gave it to me years ago. When I saw you here I didn’t think you’d still keep the same number but I still tried calling you. Yelling is not an option for someone like me and you know that.
- Right. Um – I began – What can I get you?
- Get me a green tea Frappuccino please – She smiled. She was all smiles. All the time – And when he arrives, can you be our waiter?
- Nara I think that will be awkward. I know you, I don’t want to be interrupting you all the time while you try to break up with him.
- Ying, I think I need you near. At least with you I know they won’t be talking about me.
I took a deep breath and nodded, faking a smile that I still suppose she didn’t see it wasn’t real because after that she just smiled once more and clapped her hands quickly.

‘Who’s that?’, asked one of the baristas. ‘A high school classmate’, I nodded, as I prepared her drink. ‘I don’t think I have seen her around before’, he continued, handing me the milk to prepare the Frappuccino. ‘She’s not the type of person that comes to these places. She’s more of a princess, if you know what I mean’. The barista chuckled and shook his head, and kept doing his job. I lifted my eyes, only to see her “soon to be ex-boyfriend” had arrived.

I took another deep breath and went to her table with her order and another menu. ‘Here’s your order’, I told her, ‘Welcome to Hao Chi café. Here’s your menu. You may press the button on this caller when you’re ready to order’. He nodded, serious. ‘I’ll have an expresso’, he said on a deep, husky voice. ‘Alright’, I smiled, a bit weirded out by him.

I went back to the counter, where Shen, the barista grabbed my arm ‘I had seen that guy before. He comes on Thursday evenings’, he said. ‘Thursday evenings?’, I repeated. ‘Yeah, your dad came up with this very posh idea of having wine and cheese and other sort of things on Thursdays. So he comes, has a glass of wine and leaves. Alone. He just orders

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter